Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fast charging limitation on Rz 300e

Hi

I’ve had different cars and at the moment am driving a Hyundai Ioniq 5 long range in the cheapest trim (not sure what it’s called) for 2 years with three years to go. So no leather or anything. I get about 440km’s /273 miles on a full Battery. With airco on auto and in energy efficient mode. Not front seat heating or anything fancy.  

Before this I had a Lexus GS (best car I’ve owned.. ever) and before that a CT. I want to go back to Lexus.

I’ve been leasing the Ioniq 5 through my employer which means a lot of hassle to get rid of the car (need a colleague to take the car of my hands). But the hassle might be worth it since I can afford the lease for a Lexus Rz Executive line (that’s what it’s called in the Netherlands). That’s two trims lower than the President line (top tier). But this choice would add a lot of luxury to my daily ride.

Too be honest the reviews have me a bit worried the luxury I’ll get against the range that I’ll lose. To be fair I’ve only used the Ioniq 5 to get from Rotterdam to Disney in Paris once since I’ve had the car, but I could fast charge all the way. 20 minutes to 80%.

Now I’ve heard multiple times that Lexus won’t allow you to fast charge more than 4 times on the newer models in 24 hours. If I recall correctly it was 2 times on the 450e 2023 model.

Can anyone confirm this? For the 300e 2024 model

I can’t answer your question about multiple fast charging but I would keep your Ioniq 5 if you are concerned about fast charging in general. The Hyundai EV architecture is at least a generation ahead of the one the Lexus RZ uses. As such, the Ioniq 5 is a better EV, despite the RZ being a more luxurious car. 

The manual for the RZ 450e warns that after 2 AC charges in the same 24 hrs then on the third charge the rate is throttled back to AC rate. What it doesn’t say is if the AC charges have to be above a certain value - if you use an AC charger twice for say only 20% each time does the cap work or is it only 2 full charges. Knowing Lexus, it’s just 2 plug-ins. 

I maybe wrong but I thought the software update sorted out the charging problem.  I certainly dc fast charged 4 times in a 24 hour period a few weeks back and didn't notice any problems.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aarskabouter said:

Can anyone confirm this? For the 300e 2024 model

The users here are primarily UK based - and the RZ 300e isn't available here yet.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:13 AM, Tickedon said:

The users here are primarily UK based - and the RZ 300e isn't available here yet.

Ahh too bad, do you happen to know if the 450e has that limit?

On 9/1/2024 at 1:39 AM, F.A. said:

I can’t answer your question about multiple fast charging but I would keep your Ioniq 5 if you are concerned about fast charging in general. The Hyundai EV architecture is at least a generation ahead of the one the Lexus RZ uses. As such, the Ioniq 5 is a better EV, despite the RZ being a more luxurious car. 

I understand but range doesn’t really matter to me (at least for now) and the difference is not that big.. it’s only 20 kilometers-ish / 12 miles-ish when checked on whattherange.com.

And the 10 minutes extra for fast charging🤷🏽 it doesn’t really bother me. I did travel to France, fast charging all the way, but spent extra time just sitting there and eating with my daughter😄

It’s me wanting to get back in a Lexus, the comfort, etc. The Ioniq 5 has the worst seats I’ve ever had in a car. After a long road trip my back hurts:/ When I got out of my Lexus CT of GS, I always felt sort of rested..

IMG_8756.thumb.png.20f6a2d5e70a1840da6fd848564ccc1d.png

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:29 AM, John Adams said:

I maybe wrong but I thought the software update sorted out the charging problem.  I certainly dc fast charged 4 times in a 24 hour period a few weeks back and didn't notice any problems.

I’m not sure but I think they upped it to 4 times.. can’t seem to find the answer:/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links