Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hey everyone!

I had a lovely LS430 for 3 years back in 2016.  It was my second Lexus as I also had a is200 Sport Cross, a good little car.  For the last 5 years I’ve been doing my family duties in a VW Sharan, which has been excellent.  My boy has taken a real interest in cars and this pleases me greatly, but not supercars but the more mundane and JDM.  WE have a BBR MX5 2.0 which is fab but I think we’d like another Lexus so could I ask the following?

I’m more interested in a 400 than a 430 as I prefer the shape and it’s an older car, which of course may bring me more older car problems.  However a sorted 400 could be ok maybe?  I will be adding a towbar at some point.

Also not on the right forum, also possibly on the hit list could be a GS450H F Sport for about 12 to 14K, or am I asking for trouble?  I’ve read up on the RWD drive business at 10K, not good.

Also an import is350, that does appeal but maybe a bit small.  

So a 400 appeals and the look of the MK3 is really impressive but rarer and harder to keep on top off I imagine.  400’s seem to have risen a bit and now could be the time to buy.

My wife will daily the car and she’d much rather a Honda Jazz but me and my boy just want the 400.

Cheers

Nick

Hi,  Ls400s are brilliant cars 

I’ve had one constantly for 25+ years and my N reg 95 Mk3 car for maybe 13 years 🤔and 126k of its 250k miles …… she’s brilliant of course 😂

BUT no one puts a tow bar on them ! 

Messi a forum member on here is thinking to sell his just now …… go check him out maybe 

Best wishes 

Malc 

• Like 1

Hi Malc, smashing, I knew you’d reply.  

I’m surprised I want a 400 and not a 430/460/600.  But after reading many of your posts (and others) over the years I’ve come to the conclusion not only does a 400 look the best it’s probably going to be less problematic.  We just have to talk my dear lady in to it, and once that’s done it’s a goer.  Do you think it is possible to properly daily a 400.  MPG not a huge issue, neither is ULEZ (are they compliant?) and we have Dave at LexTek nearby.  It will be used continuously, trips about town, up to Whitby and for work.

Could I ask Malc, is a 95 more difficult to look after than a say a 99/2000.  I think i prefer the dash of a 95 (is that a mk3?) as there is no dated satnav.

Towbar, well I was once driving down to Sennen Cove hill and saw a 430 with a roof rack and I want to go one further and have a towbar and a square roof rack to lob my road bike on.  If you can stick em on a 911 then i can get one a 400.

I also want a tape deck again, our house is a haven of old tech, vinyl, Linn LP12, cassette decks, old hi-fi and GPO wall phones that now don’t work and to add the worlds best V8 would be ace.

The GS450h F Sport seems a great car for the money you can get one for but I can’t see that being on the road in 20 years time, far too much tech to go awry. 

I’m actually getting very excited at the possibility of having a 400!

Nick

My 95 is a Mk3 and since buying the now 100k miles Mk1. 91 J reg one last August I do indeed use them each alternate day …… I’m sad I don’t use them enough tbh coz they are better in daily use for sure, keeps ‘em “ healthy “ 

I wouldn’t hesitate to use either for a 5k mile trip tomorrow somewhere, anywhere ……. just check the levels and tyre pressures and I know they’d reliably go anywhere  👍👏👍…. and back 😀

How the Mk1V compares I don’t really know ……. Messi or Stanwithaplan will be happy to give you any advice on a Mk1V for sure 

Go buy one, a Ls400, but do do use it lots, they’re capable of mega very comfy reliable miles  

Just annual servicing and the usual preventative maintenance will hold you in good stead …… these cars are capable of an immeasurable lifespan 

I use E5 petrol for sure 

Malc 

• Like 1

Hi Nick, Sounds like you are a man after my own heart.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them as daily drivers.

From 2002-6 I had a silver 1997 LS400 in the UK, ran it everyday, upto 5 days a week if did around 160 miles a day, commuting from Kent to Reading or Heathrow in rush-hour stop start traffic around the M25 to the M4. So around 30k+ miles per annum and I don't remember it ever having a single mechanical issue.

Fast forward 18 years and apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">I've currently got 2 x 1999 400s (both with sat nav/LCD screen) one in UK one in the Middle East, so very different climates that test them in different ways.

apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">The 99s definitely feel like they have more power and do seem a little more refined in some ways, but I'd be happy with either tbh. 

apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">I get around 20mpg from both and unfortunately they are not ulez compliant (apparently some of the 430s are).

apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">My Middle Eastern one does 10K miles a year mixed motorway and around town (with loads of speed bumps everywhere). Both my son and daughter are in their 20s and both love the LS400 and fight over who can drive it (despite having their own cars), they prefer it for long journeys/commutes. apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">I've spent £5,500 on all parts, servicing (incl consumables), tyres, Battery replacement etc in 3 years, so averages to approx £1,800 per annum. However now it's done up, this spend has reduced to a much lower figure to cover servicing only.

The UK one is only currently doing around 4K a year (local daily miles and a few roadtrips) but will do more now. I've spent about £6,000 on her in the last 21 months, she passed her MOT again today and I've only got brake lines and tyres to replace next, then costs will drop as it will hopefully become servicing only.

In summary I've spent a fair bit of money on both bringing them back to a decent standard (they ride so sweetly) cos I love them so much and I intend to keep them forever ;o)

Not all of the spend was necessary tbh, I could have got away with less, plus there was additional "cosmetic" spend I've not included here, cos I prefer them looking beautiful.

Most of the spend is because they are large heavy cars that are now 26 years old, the rubber parts like bushes have hardened, some of the hoses cracked, some of the suspension needs replacing and coincidentally both starter motors went recently.

Starter motors could reasonably be expected to last 100-150K which both did, one went cos coolant from the rear crossover leaked into it. 

I had my UK radiator broken by my indy, the other in Dubai was also replaced along with the condenser cos they stopped working in the 50 degree heat. 

The steering pump got very noisy on one not the other and those steering wheel motors and ECUs can be a pain in the ***** if they go wrong, but you can just fix the steering wheel in position instead.

I've not to date, had any issues with the nav screens and it wouldn't bother me getting one with the same if I was you. I actually really like them, so retro and cool. That said if it were to go wrong then you'd lose access to aircon, music etc so would have to buy a replacement or send it off for repairs and it would be a real pain. Worth it in my opinion but its upto you.

Good luck with your decision, you know what you need to do lol and I second Malc's recommendation and speak with Messi, I'm pretty sure he will be very pleased its going to a good home.

Edited by Stanwithaplan
updated with mpg and ulez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a 98 Ls400 - bought it with 88000 miles on it and sadly came to an end because Lexus could no longer get solenoids and parts for the transmission.  Everything else was working fine but no transmission..... By then it had 220000 miles (if memory serves).  Subsequently had a Ls430 and now Ls600 hl.  I could go on about but in short the LS400 was the best.  I have been sorely tempted to get another Ls400 but the lack of parts combined with my lack of any mechanical skills stop me.

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

For your protection, could I suggest that you replace your visible gmail address with perhaps just the word 'Nick'?

: o )

Thanks Stan,

A very interesting and helpful reply.  I lived in Kuwait for a year as a kid and I can recall those intense temperature's. 

The Sharan is being tidied up today and may well go on Autotrader so I can start looking. The rise of the EV car has made me want one even more, not that I dislike EV’s, I just feel it may be my last chance to run a V8.  I intend to keep my MX5 for as long as I can.  Looks wise I prefer the non sat nav (is that a Mk3?) but maybe a later car would be better.  I may well of course end up with a GS450H but long term will cost more to run I think.

I see the 400s have risen in value too, but still a few to choose from at the moment.

Thanks GEN,

Interesting that you say the 400 was your preferred car and while I have never driven one it’s want I really want.  I have the budget for a really nice 430/600 but I want the classic look and less chance of borkage.  Also my boy really loves the 400 and I want us to have car we can enjoy together.

Nick

• Like 1

So there you are. Commendations galore 

Parts are likely to be available ad infinitum with some “ out of the box “ thinking ……… especially as they sold hundreds of thousands of the Ls models in the USA 

My experience over the years has been that Amayama had my needs in stock at about 50% of Main Dealer costs ……. and longevity of the replacements extend the car usage by another lifetime ……. tens of thousands of miles or even more 🤞

Keep us posted please and

Good luck finding the right one 

Malc 

• Like 1

I had a tow bar on my Mk4 (was fitted by first owner) I recall it was a Witter.  Was not told that there were not approved.  Only thing I used it for was the electrics to for a number plate to my Bike Carrier (boot mounted).

As to getting one, the Mk4 was better than Mk3, apart from the Touch Screen fade in winter where the flourescent tubes degrade.

I got rid of mine coz the tin mice were gonig mad in the rear arches, but at 250000 miles it has done me proud for 10 years.

If you can get a well sorted one, you will not regret it.  Getting all the running gear bushes is a must to save on tyre wear, and makes the beast so much more stable (passengers get less sea-sick).

Never worry about fuel costs, what you spend on fuel you are not spending on garage bills

• Like 1

I prefer the looks of the MK3 94-97, I've had one and now have a 1998 MK4 which I've used for the daily commute for work (20 mile round trip) and longer trips for work to other locations in the UK for the last 3 years.
At the time I was looking, I couldn't find a decent/good MK3 so settled for the MK4 I have now, nothing wrong with MK4 and it's probably the 'better' car but I just like the looks and the interior of the MK3 without the satnav and screen etc.
MK3 94-97 cars are becoming scarce though, especially good ones, but there are a fair amount of MK4's available.
There is a Gold MK3 for sale on eBay for £6,990, if you are considering that car (or anyone else is) then contact me first😉

Today there’s appeared on car andclassic website a K reg Ls400 with 12,300 genuine miles at £14995 

So go find that Mk3 or 1V and even if she needs a little spend you’ll achieve, hopefully, a great “little mover” going forward 

Mine 95 N reg cost me £1400 from a member here in 2011 ish and at 123k miles …… we thought then I’d paid possibly proper market price …… but 12/13 years on and  now at 250k miles AND Cat N …… she’s still probably worth that £1400 🤣😂👌. Dings dents warts and all ….. and there’s a fair few 

but I’d never be without her eh !
She’s lived and still living that daily life that’s supremely above almost any other car ……. well, apart from my J reg 91 Ls400 …… with dings dents warts and all too 🥳

Go buy your Ls400 ….. you won’t regret the spend 👍

Just make sure you properly service her and do all the preventative maintenance too ……. and use E5 petrol 

They aren’t ULEZ proofed tho’ 

Malc 

Thanks all, I have gone through most listings on line and have seen a few what I consider nice ones.

Pete, I too need a tow bar to get two road bikes on the back, not a deal breaker but if i could get a detachable tow bar that would be cool.  The fuel costs aren’t really an issue, I dont do to many miles and the times I do, well I will just enjoy a V8.

Paul, that’s my thoughts on the MK3, better without the nav etc, but as yet not sure of all the differences yet between a 3 and a 4.  I’ve seen the gold one and silver one in Cheshire.

Malc, yes I watched the You Tube vid on that.  Think 15K is a bit steep though, however it was a good back story to the car.  There’s also a gold MK4 on Classic Car at 5k with what appears lowish mileage and a decent MOT history. ULEZ not really an issue until the cars are taxed off the road.  Rarely go to London and as yet no ULEZ charge in Sheffield.

I shall keep looking and will check out the right ones.  Thanks for all the advice and I will keep you posted.

Happy Saturday (off to Whitby)

Cheers,

Nick

1 hour ago, Avantime said:

I shall keep looking and will check out the right ones.  Thanks for all the advice and I will keep you posted.

Remember .......... Messi on here has his V8 4ltr limo Mk1V Ls400 for sale too

Malc

Hi Malc, thanks, yes I’m aware and have read the advert. The good news is that my fine lady has agreed to drive the Lexus for work if she can’t take the MX. She’s a professional singer and I think turning up in a LS would be rather grand.  The Jazz can wait till I retire and we leave Sheffield. She does think we should have a more efficient car and I use to worry about that, but not anymore. In fact a pal on our steet has a Maserati Gran Turismo and I’m sure that’s a V12 and we all only have street parking. Cheers Nick

Oh my a Maserati…… hope he’s rich 🤣😂

At least your Ls400 expenses should be sensible and fixes longer lasting 🤞👍

Good luck 

Malc 

I don't get it. Maserati - lovingly hand built by afficionados and experts plus a Ferrari engine. Why do they seem to be so unreliable with all that perceived quality parts and construction? But they are....or are they....or is it just the way the owners treat them?   signed Confused.com.

Probably due to the fact that any Maserati parts cost at least 4 times the price of Lexus parts and Lexus bits aren’t cheap. 
I remember going to view a Cambicorsa 4200 a few years ago to quickly discover the 2 rear exhaust boxes had been replaced with straight pipes, that’s a £2000.00 parts bill to start with.

• Like 1

Yes my pal bought the car knowing he could get a few big bills at some point.  It’s a beautiful looking motor and brightens up the street, also makes a lovely sound as it comes up the hill.  Like me he loves motors and will appreciate a 400.  The lady is concerned about the foot brake….. it take it that it has one?

The Ls400 does indeed have a foot brake BUT the gentle almost silent purr of the V8. 4ltr engine will belie its actually “ on and running “ 

Oft the time when I’ve gone to start her from standing for 5 mins to embarrassingly realise she’s actually still running ……. not even that purr 🤞

Ls400s are just amazing you know 👍

Malc 

Another car on my hotlist was a 3lt Avantime. I ran one before the Lexus. An interesting car, I loved it. Also a Volvo 240 Torslander, but probably too old and slow now and no abs etc and finally a Volvo 940. Curiously though none of those cars have a better MPG and certainly not as reliable.  LS then! I may look for the DHP. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Behold!

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1714791

In the Dutch household this evening there has been much conjecture and discussion.  We have talked RX450, an import IS350, of which sounds bleeding amazing, like a cut price IS-F.  However you have to add a digi speedo and the MPG could be less than a LS, but costs 3 x times as much to purchase. Therefore doesn’t add up to the household bangernomics theory.

So surely a LS in silver looks amazing and this appears a good example if perhaps a touch overpriced. The Mk3 lines seem so clear and direct, also does this appear to have the DHP Mk4 alloys?

Then here we have the grandpa gold: (apologies to grandads)

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1750138

Again, sensibly priced and with a good MOT history.

As mentioned I have to get my wife to be ok driving a 5 metre boat when she needs space that the MX5 wont suffice.  So the RX or IS is maybe more agreeable but more dosh and it’s not a LS.  My 14 year old boy is so excited at the Whitby prospect he can barely contain himself. He’s a JDM fan and it’s been very exciting for him to help me expand our Mk3 BBR 200 MX5s possibilities. 

I should add at this point he has been diagnosed as autistic/ADHD and while appears low on the spectrum, I don’t pass any chance to share our passions. 

I was very excited by the import IS350 but I’d be paying for 3 times the amount for GG and silver MK3, while still having about the same MPG and in what we see as a less interesting car.

The RX 450H, a sensible choice but again more costly and in terms of interest perhaps a little less exciting, also stating at about 14K.

I reckon we’ll do no more than 10k a year so the drive over the North Yorkshire moors will once again be a paragon of V8 beautificty, sheep will wonder what passes and the Fylingdale radar will only see a UFO pass by.

So could I ask opinion of MK3/4.  The household prefers the looks of the 3 but should I accept the 4 will be more liveable with, or in reality is the difference not that great on a day today basis.

I shall be very happy to be once again in the Lexus domain as it’s such a friendly and reactive site.

NIck in Sheffield.

• Like 1

But I doubt it’s a DHP. It’s just an ordinary Mk3 Ls400 

Bit like mine only far less miles and panels look in better nick tbh 

nice looking car 😄

it’s been for sale for a while 🤔

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links