Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Alarm driving me crazy!

The car alarm of the (2002) GS300 has taken to going off at least twice a day and at night too. Since the car is outside the bedroom window.......😱🤬.

It's absolutely deafening so I unlock the car from inside the house. Maybe that explains the empty spaces in my vicinity at the supermarket car park?

I've WD40'd the bonnet catch. The boot catch looks pristine. I thought if I removed the horn fuse, but alas: Sure enough no horn but the alarm didn't seem to know that. A neighbour suggested leaving the car unlocked and I was tempted, but of course it's not possible (as far as I know) since the doors auto-relock.

I thought it might be a run-down Battery so I cleaned the terminals and charged the Battery fully. Made sure the connections were tight when reconnecting.

Another on-line suggestion was checking the motion sensor which is behind the lights/sunroof housing. I don't have any tools and I can't see how I'd get the unit off without damaging it. Are there any other suggestions I can try? Any tricks with the key, which I have to have with me all the time now: Something of a trial for someone with no pockets.

Need help before the neighbours form a lynch mob.

12 minutes ago, TomDickHarri said:

Another on-line suggestion was checking the motion sensor which is behind the lights/sunroof housing.

I thought it was in the centre console on the GS series II but above.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe to disable the interior sensors you should lock the car, wait 10 seconds and then lock again - 5 flashes will mean it has disabled the interior sensors.

• Thanks 1

Could you try taping over the motion sensor?

If that sorts the problem then it would suggest that you have an insect/moth of some sort in the cabin which is setting it off.

with the Ls400 it was often some metallic object loose in the centre console  BUT if it couldn't be turned off, with the Ls400, there is a dial arrangement that can be turned down to " silence " just in front of the centre console under the veneer ,,,,,  but take great care with it, it's maybe fragile'ish too

Malc

• Like 1

Hello again Malcolm!

Still got the LS400 but only just found someone to get underneath the car, inspect the parts I've managed to get and undertake the job (just not yet!). To my shame I've neglected it horribly (not my car) but it has never had a paddy. In contrast, the GS300 has acted like a prima-donna from the start. To be fair I think it had been neglected too.

After trying Colin's key tweak all is silence (crossed all my fingers as I typed that) but will have a look for a volume-down dial. The racket the GS300 makes is likely to induce a heart-attack in anyone standing next to it as it goes off.

• Haha 1

Hi, I have read on some cars changes in internal air pressure due to wind etc have set off alarms and it was suggested all vents were closed before locking the car.

Colin lad may I offer you a virtual handshake!🤝 Unbroken sleep at last!😴

Just one thing: Will the sensor remain disarmed? Can I just abandon (park) the car and lock as usual or do I have to go through the double locking procedure every time? No animal (4 legs or 2) will ever be locked in the car and I will never want to reactivate the sensor.

Thank you so much for your help. 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beamish said:

Could you try taping over the motion sensor?

If that sorts the problem then it would suggest that you have an insect/moth of some sort in the cabin which is setting it off.

The series II GS uses a microwave sensor not ultrasonics - you cannot tape over the sensor as it is buried within the centre console and the signal would just penetrate normal tape as it already goes through the console plastic.

27 minutes ago, TomDickHarri said:

Just one thing: Will the sensor remain disarmed? Can I just abandon (park) the car and lock as usual or do I have to go through the double locking procedure every time? No animal (4 legs or 2) will ever be locked in the car and I will never want to reactivate the sensor.

Every time I believe. 

Definitely check for metal objects under the armrest - it will interfere (possibly in the ashtray too). It would be nice to resolve the issue rather than disabling the interior sensor every time.

I've just tried sitting in the car, locking it from the inside, and the sensor doesn't recognise any form of movement except that which occurs immediately above the (empty) armrest cubby so there must be something I can put in the space to block the micro-waves (why microwave?).

The ashtrays only contain cardboard air fresheners: woe betide anyone who smokes in my car. Insects are encouraged to vacate immediately or be swatted: Spiders are always relocated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links