Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Asking for a favor, little IS-F pre-ownership experience

Hey guys,

as I wrote here and there I will be after an IS-F around spring next year. I've been scanning UK market, some japanese ads (for comparison purposes), did a lot of research throughout (things to look at and be aware of, that folder is quite fat now 😄 ), many videos later too. I'm 99% convinced I want one in my life, a first not boring car which I can now afford and is well earned (delayed gratification thing). There is one BUT - I've seen it in person twice so far, not really next to me. Both sounded great (one was black '08 or '09, the other pearl white 2011+ judging by wheels)! I'm stronger and stronger leaning into an import, especially seeing how TorqueGT handles things and what they achieved so far.
Long story short - I've never sat in one, even in the passenger seat. Would any of you good fellow Lexus IS-F enthusiasts and owners be so kind and meet with me, take for a short spin, let me look around the car up-close? I'm based in Manchester, but anywhere around 1-1,5 hour drive away I'm okay with.
Honestly, even half an hour would do and I would really appreciate it. To see the goal in the flesh would be an awesome motivation kick! 

P.S. I know every creep would say that, but - I'm not a creep. 😆

• Haha 1

Why don’t you drive to see 2012 sold by Lexus on AT? You can have an extended ride in a facelift car for free + coffee + biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with Damian. Go to Lexus if you can and ride in one they have. I'm sure there'll be someone close to you that can oblige if not. Hopefully you get in one and enjoy it. They're different animals in manual mode and sport,but comfortable cruisers in drive. It's nice to have a powerful V8 at your toes, that can also be driven like a Lexus.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for replies guys. Didn't notice this one, been busy lately. This seems like a good idea, will give them a call. 

@RichGS11 yeah, that's how I picture it right now, but haven't had a chance to confront it with reality. I'm closest to 2011 year, as it has everything I would want in my IS-F. Dark interior, don't mind the exterior colour (maybe except Starfire Pearl, USB and Matador Red)... I'll stop here , before I start dwelling about specs. 😄

Just one clue if you decide to go for an import. If you import late 2013/early 2014 you will not change your sat nav unit at all. No genuine replacements nor aftermarket. Reason being it looks similar at the front but the back connection is basically from is mk3.
A transition model it seems so be aware of you want to play with it take >2011<=early 2013

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 10:01 PM, DamianLEX said:

Just one clue if you decide to go for an import. If you import late 2013/early 2014 you will not change your sat nav unit at all. No genuine replacements nor aftermarket. Reason being it looks similar at the front but the back connection is basically from is mk3.
A transition model it seems so be aware of you want to play with it take >2011<=early 2013

Yeah, I read about these units to be pain to replace in some cases on imports. The sweet spot for me would be 2011 (obvious lsd, updated steering ecu and suspension, interior wise - updated center tach and sport mode button on the wheel). Thanks for the tip though.

@Cactus will do, cheers!

Lexus are super helpful so I’d guess any main dealer with an ISF would offer a test drive. I drove one on the UK launch alongside a racing driver - bloody awesome - then I test drove a couple a few years back but went for an AMG instead. Silly boy. A friend had a white ISF for a few years with absolutely zero problems. They’re ace. Well worth the effort finding one compared to a sea of knackered M3s and worn smooth Audis.
When I was looking I viewed a private sale car north of Manchester somewhere - the owner drove - I have never been more terrified in my life. 60+ in 30 limits, full bore max revs gear changes… it did sound good though…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eightk said:

Lexus are super helpful so I’d guess any main dealer with an ISF would offer a test drive. I drove one on the UK launch alongside a racing driver - bloody awesome - then I test drove a couple a few years back but went for an AMG instead. Silly boy. A friend had a white ISF for a few years with absolutely zero problems. They’re ace. Well worth the effort finding one compared to a sea of knackered M3s and worn smooth Audis.
When I was looking I viewed a private sale car north of Manchester somewhere - the owner drove - I have never been more terrified in my life. 60+ in 30 limits, full bore max revs gear changes… it did sound good though…

At least you knew there was no carbon built up in the engine...

• Haha 1

Did a trip to Lexus Carlisle today, had great weather and really quite exceptional experience with 2012 IS-F. Good to know - I fit, I even fit in the back when the drivers seat is set for me (I'm 6'1"), the seat height is in the highs of acceptable, could indeed go lower, than the lowest. The steering wheel is so good, perfect size, thickness and weight to it. Not that of a bumpy roads, but then had a chance to open up a bit. It's more quiet, than I thought, but it wasn't in sport mode nor manual. Still, very pleasant ride, will be my benchmark from now on. Need to do more research, try '08 or '09, as they are the most common in the domestic market from what I can see. Can't spot that much in a short test drive though, especially when most differences are where you won't be allowed on that test drive (at least I wouldn't even with permission with someone elses car). I know now, I'm getting one for 110%.

• Like 3

Now you can visit me in Swansea to test 2014 model with full iCode mods on.

I will give you a ride to set up new bar.

PS 2 days ago racing hard against latest BMW M4 with “pop corn” and the guy could not catch me up at all… something to have a think how capable ISF chassis is.

Hahah, tempting, however I'm afraid if I would travel further, than today I would have to end up buying it. And it doesn't go in line with me thinking of around 20k to be reasonable budget. 😄

Best of luck finding one. It's a great platform and the fun gets better the more serious you get with the modifications (obviously that's not everyone's preferred route, it is however mine lol). Bar a slight hiccup this week, purely down to my own lack of research, my car is incredibly competitive with today's market of newer cars (it's also a bit louder and harsher lol).

Enjoy the hunt for your ISF and the collection day when it comes. I travelled to Aberdeenshire for mine from Cambridge on the train. Stayed the night in Aberdeen (I didn't sleep a wink), then collected her and drover her the 9 hours back home. A fantastic memory!

• Like 3

Cheers Rich and everyone. 🙂 I bet it was unforgettable to travel with the final goal to be the IS-F, I cannot wait! Btw not had the best sleep even before that test drive on last Saturday, so can't imagine what will be happening due the collection. 😄

Every now and then (likely too often 😄 ) I scan the domestic market and within the budget there are 2008/2009 models, so I will most likely head to the nearest one (not modified too much) over weekend in late September. Need more data to get at least some idea of the differences between early and late model. 

Currently it looks like I will be either after a UK based, but earlier model or later, but imported. Anyway, keeping my eyes peeled and not ruling out any option, researching old topics and making note of anything helpful - possible issues, any details to pay attention to.

1 hour ago, Prospero88 said:

Cheers Rich and everyone. 🙂 I bet it was unforgettable to travel with the final goal to be the IS-F, I cannot wait! Btw not had the best sleep even before that test drive on last Saturday, so can't imagine what will be happening due the collection. 😄

Every now and then (likely too often 😄 ) I scan the domestic market and within the budget there are 2008/2009 models, so I will most likely head to the nearest one (not modified too much) over weekend in late September. Need more data to get at least some idea of the differences between early and late model. 

Currently it looks like I will be either after a UK based, but earlier model or later, but imported. Anyway, keeping my eyes peeled and not ruling out any option, researching old topics and making note of anything helpful - possible issues, any details to pay attention to.

I did a lot of waiting (COVID helped lol). I found a USB 2010 with no sunroof and under 60k. I absolutely had to get it!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links