Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looking to purchase a Lexus IS300h

The IS300H are quite expensive at the Lexus dealership. You are looking at around £16k+, which is out of my budget.

I'm thinking about this but getting like RAC or similar car inspection done first and go from there.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409093839319?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Lexus&model=IS&page=4&postcode=cv66et&year-from=2015&fromsra

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

I paid essentially the same for a similar mileage 2015 Advance in 2021. I'd have thought prices went down since, from a Lexus dealer. Granted, that was the bottom of the market.

If it's in good condition in an out, it could still be a good deal.

Also make sure you know what Advance trim means - it doesn't have driver assistance systems (no blind spot monitor, lane keep assist, radar cruise, auto high beam), no memory seats, no premium hi-fi audio, and not the car is not connected. Some of the features in the description look odd, like lane guidance and speed limit notification. I don't suppose a 2015 IS Advance do those.

Also, note that no IS has power operated boots, regardless of trim, simply not available...go figure.

If you expect any of that, you better look for Premier or highly configured F-Sports, but for the budget, those will be high mileage.

• Like 1

My recommendation is wait a bit if you have to save more and get the premier variant that has everything. The price difference is 1-2k but its worth it. I bought an executive to save a couple of grand and there are features that i do miss and feel would be nice to have e.g auto mirror dipping when reversing. Ventilated seats ML sound system etc. Now if i want to buy a premier i will have to shell out ~4k after selling my car. So i should have just spent 2k more 2 years ago. So i would recommend not making that same mistake.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Notamech said:

My recommendation is wait a bit if you have to save more and get the premier variant that has everything. The price difference is 1-2k but its worth it. I bought an executive to save a couple of grand and there are features that i do miss and feel would be nice to have e.g auto mirror dipping when reversing. Ventilated seats ML sound system etc. Now if i want to buy a premier i will have to shell out ~4k after selling my car. So i should have just spent 2k more 2 years ago. So i would recommend not making that same mistake.

I find it interesting why people want so many gadgets in cars. Of course it's a personal choice and everyone is free to spend their money as they want. But as an alternative view when I bought my IS 300h I looked at the various trim levels available and selected the Executive trim as having the features I felt I would use. The cost wasn't an issue as such as I was buying used and wanted a two to three year old car but the higher trim levels I couldn't see the value for me in many of the additional features. I hadn't planned on keeping the car as long as I have, but in hindsight I'm actually pleased I have less gadgets as there is less to go wrong as the car ages - especially given the cost of Lexus parts and repairs (even meaning the car could be written off for what is a minor issue due to the cost of parts / repair when some of the technology is involved). Everyone has different needs and desires so not trying to say there is right and wrong - I've spent enough on cars on the past myself - but it's something to bear in mind especially when buying older used cars. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I find it interesting why people want so many gadgets in cars. Of course it's a personal choice and everyone is free to spend their money as they want. But as an alternative view when I bought my IS 300h I looked at the various trim levels available and selected the Executive trim as having the features I felt I would use. The cost wasn't an issue as such as I was buying used and wanted a two to three year old car but the higher trim levels I couldn't see the value for me in many of the additional features. I hadn't planned on keeping the car as long as I have, but in hindsight I'm actually pleased I have less gadgets as there is less to go wrong as the car ages - especially given the cost of Lexus parts and repairs (even meaning the car could be written off for what is a minor issue due to the cost of parts / repair when some of the technology is involved). Everyone has different needs and desires so not trying to say there is right and wrong - I've spent enough on cars on the past myself - but it's something to bear in mind especially when buying older used cars. 

I agree....but given the low price difference today for these close to 10 year old used cars. I think it just makes sense to buy one that has everything.  A lot of these features e.g memory seats , auto mirror dipping when reversing, blind spot monitoring etc are extremely practical and useful. So why not have it when barriers to access arent too high. I agree that todays cars have ADAS features that may be an overkill in some cases..

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 9:18 AM, wharfhouse said:

You're right, rationally speaking, but since when cars have got anything to do with reason? I made the same calculation going for an Advance, and ever since I've been checking the market from time to time for a Premier, but can never justify shelling out the money for those extras. How does it make sense to get premium audio in a car where you don't really pay attention to the music, there is lots of noise - but I want it. Bigger screen, to pretty much show the same information. Memory seats, even though I always just manually adjust what I feel works for the day. Radar cruise because it sounds cool except every time I try in a rented car it never works well, it's annoying as hell. I want the blind spot monitor, because why should I turn my head. It goes on. I want it all. We, humans, are hopeless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBIZO said:

You're right, rationally speaking, but since when cars have got anything to do with reason? I made the same calculation going for an Advance, and ever since I've been checking the market from time to time for a Premier, but can never justify shelling out the money for those extras. How does it make sense to get premium audio in a car where you don't really pay attention to the music, there is lots of noise - but I want it. Bigger screen, to pretty much show the same information. Memory seats, even though I always just manually adjust what I feel works for the day. Radar cruise because it sounds cool except every time I try in a rented car it never works well, it's annoying as hell. I want the blind spot monitor, because why should I turn my head. It goes on. I want it all. We, humans, are hopeless.

I used to be more like that but as I've got older I tend to be more selective in what I need rather than what I think I might want. Having courtesy cars now and again tends to reinforce the decision I made - I have a play with the tech but in general still don't find much that I particularly need. 

• Like 1

Also, don't forget that the more toys it has, generally the higher and easier it is to sell on.

I much prefer older cars where things were more simple but I needed something newer and reliable for daily & work use. I've got the classic being built at the moment for when I want the raw old school fun so will eventually have the best of both 😄

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I used to be more like that but as I've got older I tend to be more selective in what I need rather than what I think I might want. Having courtesy cars now and again tends to reinforce the decision I made - I have a play with the tech but in general still don't find much that I particularly need. 

I tend to agree with you the basic idea of driving means we should be focusing on the road rather than on the fancy tech. But i guess its a balance between what is useful vs what is just fancy gadgetry and it will be different for different people. Also i think its about what we've grown used to. I always thought i needed a reverse camera but now that i have one i find it easier to reverse without the camera. Its still useful to see obstacles that would otherwise be difficult  to see but it doesnt help with parking at much. My wife on the other hand who is a relatively newer driver has really figured out how to use the reverse cam to align the car perfectly. 

• Like 2

Well it finally got delivered. First impressions definitely feels quite big. There were quite a lot of stone chips at the front, which they tried to sort out with a touch up pen and haven't done a great job to be fair.

image.thumb.jpeg.269023b7f63514f55265b50f11c4a3a6.jpeg

Few areas around the rear that they have used the touch up pen, again not brilliant and feels rough when touching it.

Any idea what this mark is? tried cleaning this but I reckon it might be behind the sticker

image.thumb.jpeg.1efc18cfe35a48d15520a4ca2e0718f1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, zed007 said:

Well it finally got delivered. First impressions definitely feels quite big. There were quite a lot of stone chips at the front, which they tried to sort out with a touch up pen and haven't done a great job to be fair.

Few areas around the rear that they have used the touch up pen, again not brilliant and feels rough when touching it.

Any idea what this mark is? tried cleaning this but I reckon it might be behind the sticker

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new car. Those touch ups could be something a previous owner did. Im guilty of rough touch ups too as i cant stand stone chips so i dab a little touch up paint to protect it and also take your eye off it. I feel its better than the stone chips for sure.

Also that mark looks like the transparent plastic anti stone chip sticker was removed and the glue left a mark. Most ISs have this as the rear wheel arches are a bit flared near the rear door which makes it very susceptible to stone chips so most people buy the "protection foil" sold by lexus as an official accessory. You will need to polish out the stains. You could try some t-cut and elbow grease.

20 minutes ago, zed007 said:

It's dirt that gets behind the anti chip stick on plastic - difficult to get out. I have some behind mine but being a grey car not so noticeable. It can be peeled off (probably with some warm air) and either left off or replaced. 

Just now, wharfhouse said:

It's dirt that gets behind the anti chip stick on plastic - difficult to get out. I have some behind mine but being a grey car not so noticeable. It can be peeled off (probably with some warm air) and either left off or replaced. 

It's a massive pain to get rid of. My car is white so shows up loads 😞

If it ever stops raining I'm going to remove them so I can clean it properly 

2 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy youe new car. Those touch ups could be something a previous owner did. Im guilty of rough touch ups too as i cant stand stone chips so i dab a little touch up paint to protect it and also take your eye off it. I feel its better than the stone chips for sure.

Also that mark looks like the transparent plastic anti stone chip sticker was removed and the glue left a mark. Most ISs have this as the rear wheel arches are a bit flared near the rear door which makes it very susceptible to stone chips so most people buy the "protection foil" sold by lexus as an official accessory. You will need to polish out the stains. You could try some t-cut and elbow grease.

I thought the plastic was still in place from the photo but if it's not then as you say it's the remains of the dirt that would have collected around it and so will need cleaning and polishing out. 

1 minute ago, wharfhouse said:

I thought the plastic was still in place from the photo but if it's not then as you say it's the remains of the dirt that would have collected around it and so will need cleaning and polishing out. 

Could be...i can't tell for sure from the pics but looks like the one on the door is intact but the one on the wheel arch has come off?

• Like 1

A bit surprised Lexus didn't try to clean it . Also it was Lexus who used the touch up but didn't do a great job. I'll take some pics of the stone chips touch up when it stops raining.

One thing for sure though we will definitely need a reverse camera. My wife just drove the car and felt it was bigger than the 3 series we had although they were pretty much the same size.

Any recommendations for the reverse camera ?

Thanks

Could be...i can't tell for sure from the pics but looks like the one on the door is intact but the one on the wheel arch has come off?

oh I couldn't tell . I think its still on but will double check

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zed007 said:

A bit surprised Lexus didn't try to clean it . Also it was Lexus who used the touch up but didn't do a great job. I'll take some pics of the stone chips touch up when it stops raining.

One thing for sure though we will definitely need a reverse camera. My wife just drove the car and felt it was bigger than the 3 series we had although they were pretty much the same size.

Thanks

On the reverse camera you could follow the tread i shared earlier and just install a generic chinese one from amazon. It works...gets the job done.. from what i have seen the original one isnt much better in terms of quality. Basically our ISs have poor resolution screens so a high quality camera is pointless anyway. Plus if you wanted to install the original you would need to cut the sheet metal on the boot lid to make place for it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zed007 said:

Thanks

If the plastic film is still in place then you can feel the edge of it - if it is then it's difficult to clean the dirt out of the edge - maybe a nail brush might get some of it out? 

1 hour ago, zed007 said:

oh I couldn't tell . I think its still on but will double check

Here's mine - all original - you can see the dirt that's got ingrained around the edges of the plastic protection film. Like I said not so noticeable on grey though. 

PXL_20240922_113020369.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Here's mine - all original - you can see the dirt that's got ingrained around the edges of the plastic protection film. Like I said not so noticeable on grey though. 

PXL_20240922_113020369.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Yeah its big difference compare to mine.

It definitely does have the plastic film I double checked

6 minutes ago, zed007 said:

Yeah its big difference compare to mine.

It definitely does have the plastic film I double checked

Probably only thing you can do then is try and work some cleaning stuff onto the edge of the strip with maybe a nail brush and see if you can remove some of it. If that doesn't work it will mean removing it and either leaving off or replace with a new piece. As others have said it's a common issue so at least nothing to worry about regards the car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zed007 said:

Hey everyone. I noticed a few things on the car, which are not right.

One of them whilst turning and reversing . I've tried to capture some of it on a video. Is this normal? it was louder when turning.

Is that sound only when you hit the brakes? If so it might be normal. Could be a variety of reasons like the original shims are missing or someone did after market brakes and used cheaper parts like those from euro car parts. Something that can be fixed the next time you get your brakes done.

Is that sound only when you hit the brakes? If so it might be normal. Could be a variety of reasons like the original shims are missing or someone did after market brakes and used cheaper parts like those from euro car parts. Something that can be fixed the next time you get your brakes done.

No it wasn't when only hitting the brakes, happens when turning, reversing or moving forward slowly

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links