Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looking to purchase a Lexus IS300h

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and joined as I'm going to be joining the Lexus family 🙂

The main reason for choosing a Lexus is300h is the reliability and fuel economy. We would mainly use this for school runs and shopping. We were looking into BMW 320d but it doesn't make sense with the amount of miles we would do

I've been keeping an eye out for the last few weeks on an IS300h my budget is around £13k max.

Is there anything to look out for? I've enquired about a few of them and most of them had missing service history.

The last thing I want to do is be left with big bills.

I've seen another one at a garage and it has full lexus service history from 2018 to 2020 and no service record until 2023 serviced again at Lexus and then in 2024. This one includes the relax warranty as well.

Hope so can share some useful info. I've dragged this on for a few weeks and should have purchased one by now but I can be very indecisive, which doesn't help

Thanks

Pls try the search button on the forum its been answered many times. 

In summary they are fantastic cars not much goes wrong with them. 12v batteries can be weak if low mileage or unused for prolonged periods. The usual wear & tear items subject to mileage brake disc & pads, water pumps, tyres, & check the corrosion depending on where the car has lived. Northern cars seem to suffer rust abit more than usual. Good luck 👍 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, zed007 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and joined as I'm going to be joining the Lexus family 🙂

The main reason for choosing a Lexus is300h is the reliability and fuel economy. We would mainly use this for school runs and shopping. We were looking into BMW 320d but it doesn't make sense with the amount of miles we would do

I've been keeping an eye out for the last few weeks on an IS300h my budget is around £13k max.

Is there anything to look out for? I've enquired about a few of them and most of them had missing service history.

The last thing I want to do is be left with big bills.

I've seen another one at a garage and it has full lexus service history from 2018 to 2020 and no service record until 2023 serviced again at Lexus and then in 2024. This one includes the relax warranty as well.

Hope so can share some useful info. I've dragged this on for a few weeks and should have purchased one by now but I can be very indecisive, which doesn't help

Thanks

Have you tried out one at least, how it drives? It is a very different animal compared to a BMW or most cars because of the way it delivers power through the continuously geared transaxle. It feels a bit like electric cars. You can put it into 'manual', but it's just software mimicking and not a great one at that, it won't stick a gearing ratio, it slides.

Also, the engine is torque poor at low revs not simply because it's a breather but also because the timing is set to what's called Atkinson cycle for fuel economy - the electric motor is supposed to fill the gap but that only happens if the Battery is charged and warmed, there will be occasions when the car feels anaemic. The engine is otherwise plenty powerful for UK roads, once the engine is revving around 3,000 and the computer understands you mean business, it's also responsive to throttle input in normal and sports modes.

Also, as an ex-BMW driver, you should know the steering is comfortable but there is not a great deal of feel for the road. The suspension and the grip (with good rubber) is there, it's like going on rails, but you don't really feel where the car is. Also, the wheel gives off a notchy feel when in neutral straight position, which is documented but considered a non-issue.

The car build quality is excellent, but clearly cost cutting measures got to it. The car is really focussed on the front, and particularly the driver side, then it gets cheaper as you progress towards the back. The boot lid I think is a major let-down, the whole thing just feels cheap. There is no weight to it, the hinges are ugly, the latch is unconvincing. 

This is not to discourage you, I wouldn't really like to go back to discrete gearing or other makes. The car is a looker, much better looking than the 3-series, and as reliable as a car gets, top of the league. The inside of the car I also find much more pleasant than most cars in the class, particularly the leather seats. It's smooth, classy, and comfortable for long journeys too. If you use cruise control, it can easily do high 40s mpg (at the pump) when sticking to speed limits on a full tank.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Have you tried out one at least, how it drives? It is a very different animal compared to a BMW or most cars because of the way it delivers power through the continuously geared transaxle. It feels a bit like electric cars. You can put it into 'manual', but it's just software mimicking and not a great one at that, it won't stick a gearing ratio, it slides.

Also, the engine is torque poor at low revs not simply because it's a breather but also because the timing is set to what's called Atkinson cycle for fuel economy - the electric motor is supposed to fill the gap but that only happens if the battery is charged and warmed, there will be occasions when the car feels anaemic. The engine is otherwise plenty powerful for UK roads, once the engine is revving around 3,000 and the computer understands you mean business, it's also responsive to throttle input in normal and sports modes.

Also, as an ex-BMW driver, you should know the steering is comfortable but there is not a great deal of feel for the road. The suspension and the grip (with good rubber) is there, it's like going on rails, but you don't really feel where the car is. Also, the wheel gives off a notchy feel when in neutral straight position, which is documented but considered a non-issue.

The car build quality is excellent, but clearly cost cutting measures got to it. The car is really focussed on the front, and particularly the driver side, then it gets cheaper as you progress towards the back. The boot lid I think is a major let-down, the whole thing just feels cheap. There is no weight to it, the hinges are ugly, the latch is unconvincing. 

This is not to discourage you, I wouldn't really like to go back to discrete gearing or other makes. The car is a looker, much better looking than the 3-series, and as reliable as a car gets, top of the league. The inside of the car I also find much more pleasant than most cars in the class, particularly the leather seats. It's smooth, classy, and comfortable for long journeys too. If you use cruise control, it can easily do high 40s mpg (at the pump) when sticking to speed limits on a full tank.

Good summary. I only moved to lexus this year after 3 Audis over the previous 7 years and unending problems with the last two. I’m getting incredible mpg….close to 53mpg which varies little long or short trips. I don’t drive it hard….in normal mode 95% of the time. I agree re the boot lid….absolute garbage compared to the rest of the car…like something from from a 1990’s Nissan micra or perhaps worse….but overall a cracking car and I hope to keep mine for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 4:26 PM, zed007 said:

We would mainly use this for school runs and shopping.

Don't expect too much from the fuel economy on short trips, especially in winter. If you buy a car now, you will see the fuel economy deteriorate as the weather gets colder. The fuel saving features don't become fully effective until the engine has warmed up, which might take five minutes from cold or longer in winter. So if you're doing short trips to the shops or to school, the engine will have little time to fully warm up. Having said that, it will probably be better than a cold diesel engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

Don't expect too much from the fuel economy on short trips, especially in winter. If you buy a car now, you will see the fuel economy deteriorate as the weather gets colder. The fuel saving features don't become fully effective until the engine has warmed up, which might take five minutes from cold or longer in winter. So if you're doing short trips to the shops or to school, the engine will have little time to fully warm up. Having said that, it will probably be better than a cold diesel engine.

I second this...my trips are exactly this short and with a 2.0 Mercedes e class diesel in winter i seen around 24mpg where as with the is300h in winter its around 34ish. In summer i get 47-50mpg but to be fair i do way more motorway longer trips in the summer so im sure that helps .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate everyone's input.

I had a test drive at Lexus few weeks ago and the drive was good. We didn't purchase that in the end as it was bright red.

I've missed a few on Autotrader around the £13k mark for a 2015-2016. Buying from Lexus dealer seems quite expensive, maybe another £2k.

I had my eyes on a 2016 premier mode that has done 113k mileage. Full Lexus service history and its up for £10,200. I've never purchased a car with that kind of mileage. Would that put off anyone or because it has full Lexus service history it would not be a problem?

3 minutes ago, zed007 said:

I had a test drive at Lexus few weeks ago and the drive was good. We didn't purchase that in the end as it was bright red.

I've missed a few on Autotrader around the £13k mark for a 2015-2016. Buying from Lexus dealer seems quite expensive, maybe another £2k.

I had my eyes on a 2016 premier mode that has done 113k mileage. Full Lexus service history and its up for £10,200. I've never purchased a car with that kind of mileage. Would that put off anyone or because it has full Lexus service history it would not be a problem?

People here have done 150-200k miles with no major issues. So if you do go down that route i think you will be fine. If you want peace of mind you can buy official lexus warranty for up to 150k miles but it comes at a charge of some £600 or so.

If you find a vehicle for a little more money but which is under 10 years and under 100k miles and if it has been serviced by lexus then it will have the lexus relax warranty. So it may work out better in case you find such a vehicle for maybe 11-11.5k

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

People here have done 150-200k miles with no major issues. So if you do go down that route i think you will be fine. If you want peace of mind you can buy official lexus warranty for up to 150k miles but it comes at a charge of some £600 or so.

If you find a vehicle for a little more money but which is under 10 years and under 100k miles and if it has been serviced by lexus then it will have the lexus relax warranty. So it may work out better in case you find such a vehicle for maybe 11-11.5k

Thanks for your response. 

I would love to spend around 11-11.5k for one that is under 10 years but its virtually impossible at the moment. 2015-2016 reg under 100k you are looking at around 12.5-13k

I managed to pick up a 2016 IS300H F-sport last weekend for the top end of your budget with "only" 76K miles on it so they are out there but I had to move fast 🙂

I've come from an Audi A5 for the past 6 years (and BMW 330Ci & 525i for years before that)and the leap in quality is incredible, even just closing the doors you can feel the quality compared to the Audi. Hoping the reliability ratings are true as well after having issues with the Audi towards the end of my ownership (both BMWs I had also had numerous issues and leaked like a sieve) 

So far, I'm really impressed with it and the wife and daughter like it as well so loving the brownie points for buying a bigger car 😄 

• Like 2

As above - I've had my IS 300h since it was 2 years old and at that time it had 40k miles on it. It's now approaching 10 years old (2014 reg) with 151k miles. In all that time it's been serviced by Lexus as per schedule and no major issues - just:

- windscreen waaher bottle sensor (changed under extended warranty) 

- both front wheel bearings changed at 80k miles (under extended warranty) 

- front discs and pads changed once at 80k mikes (normal maintenance - done when wheel bearings were done but would have lasted a bit longer otherwise) 

- one rear caliper changed at 150k miles (under extended warranty) 

- rear discs and pads changed at 159k miles (mainly done due to the seized caliper and would have lasted longer otherwise but I regard this as maintenance) 

- still on original 12v battery 

Other than that, new rear tyres every 20k miles and front tyres every 40k miles. 

Car still drives like it did when I first got it and fuel consumption has never changed (average on trip computer over all time in my ownership is 48 mpg, with a high proportion of motorway driving).

I paid for Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty (once outside the 100k mile Relax warranty). That has now come to end too as my car has now passed 150k miles. I plan to keep the car for the foreseeable future and keep pservicing it at Lexus, and will maintain the Battery warranty (which can be done via the hybrid health check until the car is 15 years old with unlimited mileage). 

If course, do all the usual detailed checks you would on any older second hand car - if you buy from Lexus there is perhaps more come back than buying privately or maybe some other dealers - but at the end of the day you are still buying a second hand car so don't assume Lexus are any different in that respect to others. 

Although higher spec cars are nice, if you're on a tight budget it's worth thinking about the more gadgets in the car the more there is to go wrong as the car ages. Any Lexus repair outside of warranty is very expensive and obtaining spares other then OEM may not be possible (though in many cases it's possible to get them cheaper by importing them from abroad) and being relatively rare cars (in comparison to other marques) used parts are also harder to come by. 

However, if the car is well looked after with maintenance done properly to schedule then a higher mileage 10 year old car should continue to give many more years of reliable motoring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zed007 said:

Thanks for your response. 

I would love to spend around 11-11.5k for one that is under 10 years but its virtually impossible at the moment. 2015-2016 reg under 100k you are looking at around 12.5-13k

This looks like one that meets your criteria but not sure of its lexus history. If it wasnt serviced at lexus last that would mean spending at least 350 for a minor service to start the relax warranty. 

I just found my dream car... Search for yours https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409033602092?advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Premier&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&make=Lexus&model=IS&sort=price-asc&year-from=2012

• Like 1

22 hours ago, zed007 said:

It's probably 1k more than it should be given the mileage and the year (prices dropped quite a bit recently), but who knows, maybe it's in pristine condition, then it's a good get. But that mileage is a non-issue for reliability either way, if it has been looked after. Having said that, buyer beware, it's a car, you never know. Get the AC checked for pressure to see if there is leakage, also the heating servo unit is prone to die. Both are about £1k each to get replaced at a dealer. Also, unless the 12V Battery is new, replace it. You don't know how long it stood on a forecourt disused. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 12:01 AM, Ian. said:

I managed to pick up a 2016 IS300H F-sport last weekend for the top end of your budget with "only" 76K miles on it so they are out there but I had to move fast 🙂

I've come from an Audi A5 for the past 6 years (and BMW 330Ci & 525i for years before that)and the leap in quality is incredible, even just closing the doors you can feel the quality compared to the Audi. Hoping the reliability ratings are true as well after having issues with the Audi towards the end of my ownership (both BMWs I had also had numerous issues and leaked like a sieve) 

So far, I'm really impressed with it and the wife and daughter like it as well so loving the brownie points for buying a bigger car 😄 

Don't mind me asking but where did you get it from?

I enquired about 1 white f-sport couple of weeks ago. I spoke to Lexus about service history, which was good but they mentioned it had front end damage and over £11k worth of work done to it. It wasn't a write off by the insurance company. That put me off and I didn't buy the car.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:30 PM, Notamech said:

This looks like one that meets your criteria but not sure of its lexus history. If it wasnt serviced at lexus last that would mean spending at least 350 for a minor service to start the relax warranty. 

I just found my dream car... Search for yours https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409033602092?advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Premier&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&make=Lexus&model=IS&sort=price-asc&year-from=2012

Thanks, I did see this ad but its definitely not worth it as its over 400 miles from me. It's in Northern Ireland

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 7:34 PM, DBIZO said:

It's probably 1k more than it should be given the mileage and the year (prices dropped quite a bit recently), but who knows, maybe it's in pristine condition, then it's a good get. But that mileage is a non-issue for reliability either way, if it has been looked after. Having said that, buyer beware, it's a car, you never know. Get the AC checked for pressure to see if there is leakage, also the heating servo unit is prone to die. Both are about £1k each to get replaced at a dealer. Also, unless the 12V battery is new, replace it. You don't know how long it stood on a forecourt disused. 

Wow thanks for the heads up but that car is sold. Are both of those items covered under Lexus warranty?

On 9/9/2024 at 7:33 AM, wharfhouse said:

As above - I've had my IS 300h since it was 2 years old and at that time it had 40k miles on it. It's now approaching 10 years old (2014 reg) with 151k miles. In all that time it's been serviced by Lexus as per schedule and no major issues - just:

- windscreen waaher bottle sensor (changed under extended warranty) 

- both front wheel bearings changed at 80k miles (under extended warranty) 

- front discs and pads changed once at 80k mikes (normal maintenance - done when wheel bearings were done but would have lasted a bit longer otherwise) 

- one rear caliper changed at 150k miles (under extended warranty) 

- rear discs and pads changed at 159k miles (mainly done due to the seized caliper and would have lasted longer otherwise but I regard this as maintenance) 

- still on original 12v battery 

Other than that, new rear tyres every 20k miles and front tyres every 40k miles. 

Car still drives like it did when I first got it and fuel consumption has never changed (average on trip computer over all time in my ownership is 48 mpg, with a high proportion of motorway driving).

I paid for Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty (once outside the 100k mile Relax warranty). That has now come to end too as my car has now passed 150k miles. I plan to keep the car for the foreseeable future and keep pservicing it at Lexus, and will maintain the battery warranty (which can be done via the hybrid health check until the car is 15 years old with unlimited mileage). 

If course, do all the usual detailed checks you would on any older second hand car - if you buy from Lexus there is perhaps more come back than buying privately or maybe some other dealers - but at the end of the day you are still buying a second hand car so don't assume Lexus are any different in that respect to others. 

Although higher spec cars are nice, if you're on a tight budget it's worth thinking about the more gadgets in the car the more there is to go wrong as the car ages. Any Lexus repair outside of warranty is very expensive and obtaining spares other then OEM may not be possible (though in many cases it's possible to get them cheaper by importing them from abroad) and being relatively rare cars (in comparison to other marques) used parts are also harder to come by. 

However, if the car is well looked after with maintenance done properly to schedule then a higher mileage 10 year old car should continue to give many more years of reliable motoring.

Thanks , that's a lot of handy info

I have put a deposit on this one. Fingers crossed its a nice one. 1 owner FLSH

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315742849027?_nkw=lexus+is300&itmmeta=01J7EQRYB2TXVV0ND84787AN5N&hash=item4983bd8803:g:gkUAAOSwnANm39rY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKl8seybXW2en5NPuIygNfe94bAZ2VBLhxFFnYxvNjJj9SSacPx16%2B05NJQrjxiXUb4M6T1%2B6AO90nfooPbcOLL7V6f%2BV8uxc9lGx0Nwgn3r582ML1bMWPH8TTNPNNSfF6gBiKL7DaN8su%2FMt781NsTxQjiY90Oya1nisLIFfHTLFmMl0tc6h5bFtyTjciMjILEX5yGnVKXmLnrluk4hC3KdDc5DQiPsVZGpJNxQr6zLZ1V26UlonJWoHH091mZ9ktA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9bl49e7ZA&edge=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zed007 said:

Don't mind me asking but where did you get it from?

I enquired about 1 white f-sport couple of weeks ago. I spoke to Lexus about service history, which was good but they mentioned it had front end damage and over £11k worth of work done to it. It wasn't a write off by the insurance company. That put me off and I didn't buy the car.

From a garage in Pershore in Worcester.

Hoping its not the same one as nothing was declared and it had a clean bill of health from a Lexus dealer about 2 weeks before I bought it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zed007 said:

Wow thanks for the heads up but that car is sold. Are both of those items covered under Lexus warranty?

The servo is covered, AC leaks due to cracks are not. I had hole in my condenser, likely a stone piercing it at speed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ian. said:

From a garage in Pershore in Worcester.

Hoping its not the same one as nothing was declared and it had a clean bill of health from a Lexus dealer about 2 weeks before I bought it

I think it was that one.

Best thing to do is ring up Lexus where services were done and ask them if the car ever went into the body shop for bodywork repair. When I rang up a couple of weeks ago I enquired about whether it had full Lexus service and as they were going through the history they said it had £11k of work done through insurance as it was front end damage. The work was done a few years ago and I reckon it wasn't a right off because the car's value must have been high at the time. 

I'm guessing the repair work must have been professionally done as it was through insurance but for me it just put me off knowing it went through an accident.

My wife thinks I've been overdoing it with going into too much detail when buying a Lexus and maybe she's right, no wonder I still don't have a Lexus. If I didn't go into detail and ask about the body shop repair I reckon I would have bought that car.

I've enquired about a couple of other Lexus a few weeks ago and they also had repair work done through insurance.

53 minutes ago, zed007 said:

I think it was that one.

Best thing to do is ring up Lexus where services were done and ask them if the car ever went into the body shop for bodywork repair. When I rang up a couple of weeks ago I enquired about whether it had full Lexus service and as they were going through the history they said it had £11k of work done through insurance as it was front end damage. The work was done a few years ago and I reckon it wasn't a right off because the car's value must have been high at the time. 

I'm guessing the repair work must have been professionally done as it was through insurance but for me it just put me off knowing it went through an accident.

My wife thinks I've been overdoing it with going into too much detail when buying a Lexus and maybe she's right, no wonder I still don't have a Lexus. If I didn't go into detail and ask about the body shop repair I reckon I would have bought that car.

I've enquired about a couple of other Lexus a few weeks ago and they also had repair work done through insurance.

You have to remember that if a car is properly repaired with Lexus parts the cost will be high even if the damage is actually quite minor. About 6 years ago I hit a rogue lorry tyre on the motorway. There was quite a bit of damage but it was mainly to the superficial plastics (bumper and trim etc fog lights and park sensors - no metal was damaged) at the front of the car. However as a front fog light had been ripped out and the wiring loom broken that attached to the fog light and (for whateve design reason) there was no connector in the loom for the fog light wiring it required a new part wiring loom ordering from Lexus Japan to repair as new. The car was 3 years old when it happened in 2017 and the total repair cost was £13,500 with a significant part of that being the wiring loom...! Apparently it was within a few hundred pounds of being written off. The Jemca Lexus bodyshop (not a third party but their own bodyshop) did a superb repair and you would never know it had been damaged and I still own the car and never had any issues with repair. 

Just trying to add some perspective. 

• Like 1

TBH, its not something that worries me, I've owned CAT N & S cars in the past and I currently have a car undergoing an extensive restoration currently- it just would have been nice to know at the outset.

There's nothing showing in the Lexus link services section, its got all of the services in there along with the hybrid Battery checks but I will give the dealership it was serviced at its entire life a call tomorrow just for closure.

The car seems to check out though, No obvious signs of paintwork or repairs & all panel gaps line up as expected plus its a single owner car with full Lexus service history so its obviously been looked after.

• Like 2

I called the dealer that's looked after it this morning.

Nothing on their system that says its been near a body shop or had any repairs. He did advise that on the last service there, the water pump was replaced which is good news 😁

23 minutes ago, Ian. said:

I called the dealer that's looked after it this morning.

Nothing on their system that says its been near a body shop or had any repairs. He did advise that on the last service there, the water pump was replaced which is good news 😁

That's fantastic news!

On 9/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, zed007 said:

I went to see this today and I was absolutely shocked at the condition of the Lexus. There was a lot of cosmetic damage. I was really disappointed and really hoped to come back with the car. When the guy made the walk around video he deliberately missed out the damage. 2 scuffs on the car.  Door card had rips/tears and centre console had rips/tears. I think the worst bit was rear quarter panel had been resprayed and the paintwork had bit of a paint dribble that had dried up.

This was a 2018, 70k and was up for £13,650 at Hilton car supermarket

The search continues....😢

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links