Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Clear stickers on rear doors

Go to solution Solved by rayaans,

Has anyone removed the clear plastic stickers on their rear doors. The dealer told me they are to protect the paintwork against stone chips. I’m keen to remove mine as the outline of the sticker becomes visible after it gets dirty and it looks like there’s a crack in the door. I want to know if it’s hard to remove the glue residue once the sticker is taken off. 

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

• Solution

It's easy. 

Heat one corner with hairdryer to soften the glue and then just pull. 

Don't heat all of it up because it'll leave glue residue everywhere whichll need cleaning up. Much less messy when you just heat up a corner. 

Personally I would leave them on, they are there to serve a purpose, in a few months time you will probably be saying I have got chip stone marks there lol 😆 

• Like 3

Do not remove but do fit Mud Flaps which will change the air flow around your rear door,

Tel

• Like 3

I wouldn't remove them as it will eventually show tiny stone chips. They are there for a purpose.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pollyd said:

The dealer told me they are to protect the paintwork against stone chips.

The dealer was correct!  
Remove them if you wish, but be prepared to face retouching out stone chips as a result.

I attach three shots of my Lexus.  The film you CAN see was replaced with new film when I had the car detailed by a professional who applied fresh Paint Protection Film - PPF.  That’s the shot in which you CAN’T see the film!

If it worries you I would suggest finding a Detailer who can replace the PPF.

The last shot illustrates the result of a couple of hours driving through busy, wet roads.  I fitted mud flaps and now no longer get that spray result.

Why Lexus don’t fit them in the first place is a mystery!

image0.thumb.jpeg.3671e873ff2b152984c929693d577782.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.178d35b00d7d70e86f35b451931ba05d.jpegIMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.e6f819ad6e8920b49abe388d2feff883.jpeg

• Like 2

As said, I would say don't remove it.

It is there to prevent stone chip damage.

Lexus might not be happy if you remove it either and it might affect the warranty.

Wash your car more often 😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Why Lexus don’t fit them in the first place is a mystery!

Increase drag and fuel consumption and emissions, might be very minor but might also push the car into the next tax level... 

The PPF that Toyota/Lexus use is quite thick, so very unlikely to get a stone strike actually damage the paint, and it can be applied easily at the factory but you can see the edges. Using a thinner PPF that needs to be wet applied just isn't going to be cost effective on a mass produced vehicle and offers less protection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

The PPF that Toyota/Lexus use is quite thick, so very unlikely to get a stone strike actually damage the paint, and it can be applied easily at the factory but you can see the edges. Using a thinner PPF that needs to be wet applied just isn't going to be cost effective on a mass produced vehicle and offers less protection.

Interesting comment there Colin about thinner PPF needing to be wet applied.

Recently my rear bumper protection film got damaged on my NX, just a small nick off the lower edge, but enough for me to want to replace it.  It was part of the Protection Pack when ordering the car, which I understand are added at the distribution centre along with the mudflats, boot liner etc.

I ordered the OEM part and am going to install it myself using the wet method, but are you saying that the factory ones do not need to be wet applied or are the ones on the doors applied at the factory and the 'pack' ones are distribution centre?  If not wet applied how do I install it with no bubbles?

I don't think I am hi-jacking this thread, but if I am, please feel free to move it.

Thanks.

As all above they're there for a reason.If you do decide to remove them,then warm(don't heat) with a hairdryer,then use something like Autoglym tar remover to clean the glue residue.

I used to add it to the front of new coaches and it saved a hell of a lot of stone  Chipping , before fitting we had to repaint the front very regularly so I would suggest leaving them on .

5 hours ago, stepppy said:

I ordered the OEM part and am going to install it myself using the wet method, but are you saying that the factory ones do not need to be wet applied or are the ones on the doors applied at the factory and the 'pack' ones are distribution centre?  If not wet applied how do I install it with no bubbles?

Assume it needs to be wet applied if you don't have instructions stating otherwise - you only have one shot if you tried to do it dry which isn't going to end well.

4 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Assume it needs to be wet applied if you don't have instructions stating otherwise - you only have one shot if you tried to do it dry which isn't going to end well.

Pert, I will do it wet as planned 😊

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links