Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus UK statement on vehicle theft - RX continued

57 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m afraid, from my perspective, Lexus have lost their way a bit. Putting the theft issue to one side, I bought my first Lexus, an NX300h in 2017. I then had my second in 2018, and my RX450h in 2021.

On each occasion Lexus convinced me to change with strong offers, both for my existing vehicle and large discounts on the new vehicle. At the time of moving away from my second NX300h they tried to convince me into the new NX350h. It wasn’t for me. I felt the interior was a quality downgrade, with ‘technology’ for the sake of it rather than because (to borrow from Honda) it ‘…just worked.’

Unimpressed with the new NX I was tempted into the RX450h gen4, one of the last. Why? Yes, a great deal was offered, but also the quality interior I was used to. It felt ‘special’ in an unquantifiable way. It made me feel good when I drove it, or just sat in it.

Move forward to the last few months. I’ve had a gen5 RX to test, but was unimpressed when compared with the gen4. That was mainly down to the engine, but again I felt interior quality had been downgraded. With a large reduction in mileage and car use, I decided to downsize but the LBX - nice though it is - is simply too expensive imho. Could I justify almost £10k more for an equivalent spec LBX against a Toyota CH-R? Some might, but not me. The product didn’t justify the price difference in my opinion.

I think Lexus have increased prices too much in recent years. My RX was about £55k in 2021, the new one is more like £65k but I can’t see what that increase provides. Similarly the UX, NX and LBX all feel far too pricey against the competition when general quality is increasingly similar.

Back when I entered the brand, I felt I was getting something really special. Sorry to say when I came to change I didn’t feel the same way.

Absolutely spot on 👍

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments as I've had a very similar experience and my views are the same regarding new Lexus models and pricing.  I won't be buying another after I've had value out of my gen 4 RX...the last of what I consider are the models with that "X" factor.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m afraid, from my perspective, Lexus have lost their way a bit. Putting the theft issue to one side, I bought my first Lexus, an NX300h in 2017. I then had my second in 2018, and my RX450h in 2021.

On each occasion Lexus convinced me to change with strong offers, both for my existing vehicle and large discounts on the new vehicle. At the time of moving away from my second NX300h they tried to convince me into the new NX350h. It wasn’t for me. I felt the interior was a quality downgrade, with ‘technology’ for the sake of it rather than because (to borrow from Honda) it ‘…just worked.’

Unimpressed with the new NX I was tempted into the RX450h gen4, one of the last. Why? Yes, a great deal was offered, but also the quality interior I was used to. It felt ‘special’ in an unquantifiable way. It made me feel good when I drove it, or just sat in it.

Move forward to the last few months. I’ve had a gen5 RX to test, but was unimpressed when compared with the gen4. That was mainly down to the engine, but again I felt interior quality had been downgraded. With a large reduction in mileage and car use, I decided to downsize but the LBX - nice though it is - is simply too expensive imho. Could I justify almost £10k more for an equivalent spec LBX against a Toyota CH-R? Some might, but not me. The product didn’t justify the price difference in my opinion.

I think Lexus have increased prices too much in recent years. My RX was about £55k in 2021, the new one is more like £65k but I can’t see what that increase provides. Similarly the UX, NX and LBX all feel far too pricey against the competition when general quality is increasingly similar.

Back when I entered the brand, I felt I was getting something really special. Sorry to say when I came to change I didn’t feel the same way.

I too echo your sentiments Ed, perhaps it’s an age thing, where we acknowledge and appreciate the build quality of the RX4, which I have described as a ‘ Gentleman’s club ‘ after a recent days test drive in the RZ, as nice a vehicle as it was, not a proper Lexus, and more like a ‘ discotheque’

Now there an age thing, do they still have discotheques, 🤔, just going to put my slippers on 😂🤣.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter just sent me that Leigh Day 

www.leighday.co.uk/news/news/2024-news/toyota-and-lexus-owners-could-be-owed-compensation-as-some-keyless-vehicles-found-to-be-vulnerable-to-a-device-which-allows-them-to-be-stolen-in-minutes/

My 450h was stolen on Friday. No one at Lexus had said anything about the vulnerability. I received a letter from my insurers today saying they will not renew because of all the thefts. Irony!

From Leighday site

f you have owned or leased a Toyota or Lexus vehicle from 2019 onwards and have been affected by this issue, then you can contact us via our expressions of interest form. Alternatively, you can contact canbusenquiries@leighday.co.uk

Trouble is Leigh Day are a bit like ambulance chasers and are after any compensations thay can claim from companies, and then take a large slice of compensation as commision.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what phone App that you're meant to connect the obd geofence dongle with?  Mine was received in the post with no covering letter nor instructions.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

Does anyone know what phone App that you're meant to connect the obd geofence dongle with?  Mine was received in the post with no covering letter nor instructions.

"Tracker Touch" in Google Play and I assume also in apple App store.

You need a registration email with a security code to connect the app to the device.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul.  Just downloaded it and all is working.  Retrieved email (which I thought was my installed tracker subscription email) and dongle activated.  I assume it just sends alerts if the dongle is removed (when active) and if the car is moved whilst the dongle is active.  I'll have to remember to turn it inactive when driving to avoid alert emails.

It's not what I thought it might be, so no immobilisation, just, hopefully, an alert of the car is moved.

48 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Thanks Paul.  Just downloaded it and all is working.  Retrieved email (which I thought was my installed tracker subscription email) and dongle activated.  I assume it just sends alerts if the dongle is removed (when active) and if the car is moved whilst the dongle is active.  I'll have to remember to turn it inactive when driving to avoid alert emails.

It's not what I thought it might be, so no immobilisation, just, hopefully, an alert of the car is moved.

How did you get the token etc, I got no information from Lexus, they just said go on trackers website and follow the instructions, can't find anything, I have my tracker registration certificate and the card that's it 

They emailed the security token to me (Tracker that is) after Lexus registered the device in my name and provided them with my email address.  Check your emails...if they haven't sorted you out with a registration document for the tracker, push it with them as it should be issued before you receive the geofence device.

3 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

They emailed the security token to me (Tracker that is) after Lexus registered the device in my name and provided them with my email address.  Check your emails...if they haven't sorted you out with a registration document for the tracker, push it with them as it should be issued before you receive the geofence device.

I got the registration document for the tracker with the tracker membership number and serial number etc, just said, tracker, retrieve 3 year subscription, nothing else though. I've emailed Lexus Preston but they are awful for communicating 

31 minutes ago, Plivsey69 said:

I've emailed Lexus Preston but they are awful for communicating 

Far better to call them on 01772 911394, choose the 'Servicing' option and then Option 2 so that the system thinks that the car is currently in the workshop. You then get to speak to a real human in the real service dept. Phil Partington seems to be the main man so ask if he's available and he'll get you sorted.

16 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Hi Paul,

Excellent!

I think you are correct - no immobilisation - just tracking and alerts.  But at least it means there are now 2 or 3 ways to track the car:  The Lexus app (for those with say post 2019 vehicles - when it works...), the OBD tracker/geofence and then the police, through tracker, can use the Battery powered VHF tracker device too.

Of course we are all desperate to get the actual CANbus fix via this CAN blocker ECU....

Paul

4 hours ago, PDM said:

Hi Paul,

Excellent!

I think you are correct - no immobilisation - just tracking and alerts.  But at least it means there are now 2 or 3 ways to track the car:  The Lexus app (for those with say post 2019 vehicles - when it works...), the ODB tracker/geofence and then the police, through tracker, can use the battery powered VHF tracker device too.

Of course we are all desperate to get the actual CANbus fix via this CAN blocker ECU....

Paul

Another sticking plaster, you are very naive if you think the police will be remotely interested in your tracker activation !

I had the Tracker device installed on Monday, but upon installing and testing the OBD Tracker Touch mobile phone app discovered that the geo-fencing feature doesnt work or Safe Mode setting (supposed to send alerts when the car is started and initially moves position) or the app notifications when the car starts/moves/or drives outside the 250 metre set geo-fence radius.  So you won't know that your cars been nicked until you go to get into it!  In my professional opinion of being a software engineer, this Tracker product provided by Lexus's third party provider Tracker is not fit for purpose as the user of the product does not get alerts either by sms/app push messages or even email message.  Check out the Google Play Store (Android phones) reviews for this Tracker Touch app and you'll see that the software hasn't worked even since 2019.

I'm going to have to get my own chosen security methods to stop society's scum from nicking my nice toy ie decent tracker with good working software and an immobilizer.

If anybody's Tracker Touch mobile app geo-fencing feature or Safe Mode setting works please let me know and I might try to get mine working somehow.

3 hours ago, Somebody67 said:

I had the Tracker device installed on Monday, but upon installing and testing the ODB Tracker Touch mobile phone app discovered that the geo-fencing feature doesnt work or Safe Mode setting (supposed to send alerts when the car is started and initially moves position) or the app notifications when the car starts/moves/or drives outside the 250 metre set geo-fence radius.  So you won't know that your cars been nicked until you go to get into it!  In my professional opinion of being a software engineer, this Tracker product provided by Lexus's third party provider Tracker is not fit for purpose as the user of the product does not get alerts either by sms/app push messages or even email message.  Check out the Google Play Store (Android phones) reviews for this Tracker Touch app and you'll see that the software hasn't worked even since 2019.

I'm going to have to get my own chosen security methods to stop society's scum from nicking my nice toy ie decent tracker with good working software and an immobilizer.

If anybody's Tracker Touch mobile app geo-fencing feature or Safe Mode setting works please let me know and I might try to get mine working somehow.

Just tested - It works on mine for at least sending emails from the safe mode setting.  But an android notification or an automatic phone call would be welcome.

Paul

What an absolute shamble. So we have now got what appears to be a second rate Tracker system, that no one will respond too, linked to an App, that may or may not work, and something about a geofence, what is all this crap about?

Lexus, it ain’t rocket science, surely you have the technical ability to sort the ruddy Canbus issue, problem solved. 
Labour will fix the NHS faster than you will have sorted this Canbus issue.

The Tracker etc are just gimmicks, I really don’t feel obliged to subscribe to, no value to it as I see it?

I would be more impressed if a member came back to me and said

’ I had the Lexus Tracker fitted and my RX4 insurance halved’ 

This is not the answer!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Lexus should just put Ghost 2s in and refund anyone who has done this themselves.

Ghost 2 isn't the best solutions as the car thieves wont know its fitted.

While if correctly installed Ghost 2 will stop the vehicle being driven away - it wont stop the thieves damaging the vehicle gaining access in to the passenger cabin.

An aftermarket alarm / immobiliser system is a far better solution. 

On 9/10/2024 at 9:34 PM, Herbie said:

Far better to call them on 01772 911394, choose the 'Servicing' option and then Option 2 so that the system thinks that the car is currently in the workshop. You then get to speak to a real human in the real service dept. Phil Partington seems to be the main man so ask if he's available and he'll get you sorted.

After 3 calls and emails as no one got back to me, I found that despite them explaining it to me what was being fitted they didn't fit the OBD device, I don't think any customer experience had shocked me as much as the experience with Lexus Preston, gobsmacked, absolutely Gobsmacked 

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, Plivsey69 said:

After 3 calls and emails as no one got back to me, I found that despite them explaining it to me what was being fitted they didn't fit the OBD device, I don't think any customer experience had shocked me as much as the experience with Lexus Preston, gobsmacked, absolutely Gobsmacked 

Well, I have to say that that's very unusual. Truthfully, I've never had any issues with Preston at all and I've been a very happy customer of theirs since the day it opened.

I was in a couple of weeks ago and they were struggling with staff shortages and they were all running around like headless chickens but they coped very well and provided their usual high standards.

I honestly don't know what to say to you Paul......

12 hours ago, Herbie said:

Well, I have to say that that's very unusual. Truthfully, I've never had any issues with Preston at all and I've been a very happy customer of theirs since the day it opened.

I was in a couple of weeks ago and they were struggling with staff shortages and they were all running around like headless chickens but they coped very well and provided their usual high standards.

I honestly don't know what to say to you Paul......

I'm 55, I've had a lot of cars, I've never experienced such poor service, they told me it was 1 owner, it wasn't, only found out when I got the log book, the mirror glass was loose on road test and I pointed it out, not fixed, no plates fitted, & car got stolen so sad with Phil and the sales manager who told me about the plates, the tracker and the OBD device, two weeks they had the car, when I picked it up I asked, how do I set up the OBD device, just go to trackers website and follow the instructions, I've emailed and rang, I never get any response unless I get in touch via the customer service page. To then find out they did not fit the OBD device is worse than poor given I'm a victim of car theft, I get people have bad days but from stepping onto the forecourt to now I can safely say it's my worst dealership experience in decades, love the car but think Lexus Preston are not great, sorry for the rant 

• Sad 3

I had a similar experience.  I felt as if me chasing my dealer for fixes, and then how to install and operate them was more of a nuisance to them than anything, finally the service manager telling me "all cars have issues...this is after all a car designed in 2016 so things have moved on since then".  I was appalled.  When you pay £40k for a 3 year old car, this is about as intolerable an attitude as you'd get anywhere.  In other words, "we've taken your money and it's your problem now".  I will now be writing to Lexus MD for the UK and venting my thoughts on their UK business direct to him, and asking him (or her), short of customers taking a class action against them, what they are prepared to do.  The least I would accept would be for a decent alarm/immobiliser/tracker to be installed free of charge.  They are fully aware that with dragging time frames, broken promises and broken dealerships, most customers will 1) cease to be their customers 2) never buy another Lexus and 3) end up buying something decent themselves as a necessity for insurance.

In doing so, without Lexus approval, I'll lay odds they'd not honour their RELAX warranty should people be forced down this route.  That's where the courts come in...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links