Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus UK statement on vehicle theft - RX continued

My insurance on my Rx this year 4x higher than last. Already had to large claim for damage after an attempted theft. Still no sign of Lexus coming to the party.  I have decided to keep the car, but have joined the group claim, and will sue to get every penny I have lost because Lexus designed and built a security system that was clearly not fit for purpose.  I am beyond angry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric skerritt said:

Can I ask which dealerships are fitting the tracker right now.

Liverpool say they are 60% 'on the way' to going ahead.

Lexus Preston are doing mine next week, hopefully.

• Like 2

I genuinely believe Lexus are doing nothing to address the matter and in reality you are out on your own. How on earth they can keep inferring a solution is in the pipeline is now way beyond belief, but if you are into beating a dead horse, you could always contact them on:  cr@lexus.co.uk

• Like 1

Listers Lexus at Cheltenham are offering the tracker now but not the geofence obd security (yet).  I too don't believe they'll offer any more, or will take some convincing as they have moved the goal posts so many times now on a "fix" which they've had more than ample time to develop.  They're not interested in last generation cars, just selling the down graded, cheaper to manufacture, lower luxury, less well screwed together mass market appeal cars now.  I'm more likely to buy a good Toyota for a lot less money that does everything just as well.  I won't buy another Lexus unless I see an LC500h come up at reasonable money, but am happy with my current car, security blunders aside.

I would be very surprised at this point if they do not get around to rolling out the CANbus blocker device in addition to a tracker and geofencing. They have mentioned the CAN blocker on their webpage (the one where they admit to the issue on the Lexus magazine) and I have it disclosed in an emails from CR, I think as do some others.

So I would say it's not so much a question of if, but when, for the CAN blocker. And how much longer....?

I hope I'm not wrong....

Paul

Recent quote from the Lexus Magazine Q&A on this topic, so maybe there is hope yet for a proper solution...

We are continuously developing technical solutions to make our vehicles more secure and reduce the risk of theft. While we do not wish to divulge precise details of the security upgrade, essentially, we intend to roll out a CAN Blocker which is an advanced and secondary ECU. We endeavour to make available another solution that can offer enhanced protection. Details will follow soon. This will be communicated to the Lexus Centre network who will also be responsible for fitting the enhanced security solution.

7 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

But the still do F**K All about putting pressure on insurers, including their own.

The insurance companies are merely adjusting their premiums to accommodate the increased risk as reflected in the hard fact of number of vehicles being stolen, it's not their fault Lexus have a poorly designed security system (I don't like paying high premiums either).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Recent quote from the Lexus Magazine Q&A on this topic, so maybe there is hope yet for a proper solution...

We are continuously developing technical solutions to make our vehicles more secure and reduce the risk of theft. While we do not wish to divulge precise details of the security upgrade, essentially, we intend to roll out a CAN Blocker which is an advanced and secondary ECU. We endeavour to make available another solution that can offer enhanced protection. Details will follow soon. This will be communicated to the Lexus Centre network who will also be responsible for fitting the enhanced security solution.

problem is they've been claiming similar for ages and keep kicking the can down the road every 6 months.  Too little, too late for many.  We've effectively paid for whatever they do in hiked insurance premiums and they know that.  If they'd got off their backsides and acted quickly, there's every chance it could have been dealt with several years ago meaning insurance premiums now might be more reasonable.

• Like 1

Yes they should have acted quicker, but it's the first time I have seen any details of what the proposed solution actually is.

Tracker is useless as far as I am concerned, car is stolen, make a claim, it's recovered and fixed and the whole cycle starts again.  Once the thieves know where you live chances are there will be multiple theft attempts.

• Like 2

I heard of people having technical issues with trackers so for me it is not an option. I am trading in my 4th generation for a newer model in September or October latest - hopefully interest rates would have gone down a bit by then 

1 hour ago, FredD said:

I heard of people having technical issues with trackers so for me it is not an option. 

Nearly all issues / problems experienced by fitting aftermarket security systems on Toyota / Lexus hybrids is down to the installer not knowing how to install the system correctly on the vehicle in question.

Far to many cowboy installers have jumped on the tracker / Ghost band wagon in the last few years.

FWIW - I have had no issue with the aftermarket security system on my vehicle as I used an installer that knows what there doing with Toyota / Lexus hybrids. 

Just remember the title of this thread, "Lexus announcement imminent", and when this thread was started, i.e. 26th June. Today's date, 11th August and some 3 months after Lexus said the fixes would be rolled out. I refer you to my earlier comment dated 10th August. 

6 hours ago, Sybaris said:

But the still do F**K All about putting pressure on insurers, including their own.

Yes, the prices are ridiculous. Lexus must cover our losses or not only will they lose our custom, they are going have pay compensation plus a huge legal bill.  

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Just remember the title of this thread, "Lexus announcement imminent", and when this thread was started, i.e. 26th June. Today's date, 11th August and some 3 months after Lexus said the fixes would be rolled out. I refer you to my earlier comment dated 10th August. 

Imminent = "about to happen".  

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Yes they should have acted quicker, but it's the first time I have seen any details of what the proposed solution actually is.

Tracker is useless as far as I am concerned, car is stolen, make a claim, it's recovered and fixed and the whole cycle starts again.  Once the thieves know where you live chances are there will be multiple theft attempts.

My car has a large heavy duty caravan lock on the wheels ! All because the car security is not fit for purpose. In fact the complete lack of security makes the car very very easy to steal, and this is why it is impossible to get insurance. 

On 8/10/2024 at 2:53 PM, Plivsey69 said:

I purchased a 2022 plate 4th Gen from a Lexus Dealership in April, they didn't fit the plates as part of the used car preparation, after 4 weeks it was stolen, when asked if they fit the counter measures as part of used car preparation they said I need to ask, it was found the day after the theft by the police, sheer luck though, took 2 months to get it back, just gone to the Lexus Dealer to fit the plates, tracker and whatever the ODB thing is, they are very vague. Don't rate the Lexus experience, love the car though 

Sorry to hear that. Can I just check if your 2022 Lexus was stolen via Can Bus? My 2015 was stolen, as much as i'm annoyed at Lexus the car is a great drive - so I was looking at a 2022 model. I thought post 2022 wasn't vulnerable to Canbus - but if it is i'd clearly have second though

• Like 1

Hi, I believe it is the 5th generation that is not (yet) vulnerable to Canbus. This generation starts from 2023

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rtidrtid said:

Sorry to hear that. Can I just check if your 2022 Lexus was stolen via Can Bus? My 2015 was stolen, as much as i'm annoyed at Lexus the car is a great drive - so I was looking at a 2022 model. I thought post 2022 wasn't vulnerable to Canbus - but if it is i'd clearly have second though

Yes it was stolen that way, it's with Lexus now, having the plates, tracker and OBD device, I think it's the 5th gen which isn't as vulnerable, I do love the car though 

• Like 1

5th gen is of no interest to me.  It's over priced for what it is and doesn't have the reason to buy (3.5l V6 motor and the better interior).  Security issues can be fixed at a cost....it's cheaper to buy the 4th gen and just budget for fixing the bugs and be left with an arguably better vehicle than the 5th gen for a lot less.  Insurance will depend on security measures so the sad truth is it's down to owners now to secure their cars as I don't believe Lexus will.

14 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

5th gen is of no interest to me.  It's over priced for what it is and doesn't have the reason to buy (3.5l V6 motor and the better interior).  Security issues can be fixed at a cost....it's cheaper to buy the 4th gen and just budget for fixing the bugs and be left with an arguably better vehicle than the 5th gen for a lot less.  Insurance will depend on security measures so the sad truth is it's down to owners now to secure their cars as I don't believe Lexus will.

I tend to agree with what you say but I guess it depends where you live. If you live in London or any major cities insurance companies will unlikely want to insure your car irrespective of the security measures you decide to implement. I maybe wrong though 😊

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links