Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus UK statement on vehicle theft - RX continued

1 hour ago, FredD said:

I still think they should give a financial incentive for those with a 4th generation who want to upgrade to the 5th generation. I will ask them when I have a bit of time

The problem is, it's not just the security that's broken. On RX4 (and it may be a different of the new RX with MM21), Radly internet radio doesn't work (supposed to be available on cars with a hotspot), the subscription service for the hotspot doesn't work, you can't tether the car to your phone hotspot without typing in the password each time you start the car, location data in the app longer works, send destination to car doesn't work, trip data is not available, there are other bugs in the infotainment system and unless you are on a very old version then voice commands for playing mp3s doesn't work.  Too much stuff is broken and they simply don't fix it, despite these issues being clearly communicated. Consequently I have little to no confidence that if I bought a new vehicle from them, and there were bugs, that they would fix them.  Thinking otherwise would be hope over experience.  From my perspective the brand has significantly changed since my current car and my last car.

Incidentally if anyone with an RX4 has these things working please let me know because it suggests a specific issue with my vehicle and suggests it may be possible to fix....

14 minutes ago, PDM said:

Incidentally if anyone with an RX4 has these things working please let me know because it suggests a specific issue with my vehicle and suggests it may be possible to fix....

On my 2020 RX the trip data is working, even without the phone being present i.e. when the tech takes the car for service.

I only use Bluetooth to connect phone to car and that works every time.

Send to car works as does location data on the app.

The new car 3yr free subscription service ended last year and I was advised the costs to maintain the in-car hotspot wasn't worth it.

I did have 'mare when I first got the car (2yrs ago) and had to get support from Lexus.eu who finally sorted the communications after about 2 weeks. TBH they were good, keeping me informed almost daily.

IMHO the phone app is just a gimmick, doesn't really provide anything I find useful...

32 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

On my 2020 RX the trip data is working, even without the phone being present i.e. when the tech takes the car for service.

I only use bluetooth to connect phone to car and that works every time.

Send to car works as does location data on the app.

The new car 3yr free subscription service ended last year and I was advised the costs to maintain the in-car hotspot wasn't worth it.

I did have 'mare when I first got the car (2yrs ago) and had to get support from Lexus.eu who finally sorted the communications after about 2 weeks. TBH they were good, keeping me informed almost daily.

IMHO the phone app is just a gimmick, doesn't really provide anything I find useful...

Interesting. Since I was migrated on to the Lexus Link Plus app, nothing works.  I have been back and forth with customer services now for well over a month.  Are you on the old app or the new app? (The back end also seems to change when you love to the lexus link plus app - I'm other words it's not just the app, but the website portal too that changes).

I like the vehicle location in the app (useful in large car parks) and I like the real time camera info that you get when internet connected.

Yes, Bluetooth works for me every time.

Paul

3 minutes ago, PDM said:

Are you on the old app or the new app?

I'm on Lexus Link+ and the My Lexus portal works fine, all my car details are there.

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I'm on Lexus Link+ and the My Lexus portal works fine, all my car details are there.

Thanks for this.

Can I just ask - on the web portal, even though you don't use itz is there an option to buy data for the hotspot?

Paul

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Thanks for this.

Can I just ask - on the web portal, even though you don't use itz is there an option to buy data for the hotspot?

Paul

I believe it's available under the e-Store tab but I just tried clicking on it and just get a buffering symbol. I recall the bundles were very expensive!

ETA.. Buffering has completed but I see nothing regarding the data plans.

• Thanks 1

I can't help but think that if the thieves targeted RXs on dealership 4 courts, of which I counted at least 10 last week on one of my local ones, maybe Lexus would move faster with all their profits going down the drain and their insurance rocketing.  Not suggesting anything here, just a hope that on the off chance thieves might consider the same thing. 

6 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I can't help but think that if the thieves targeted RXs on dealership 4 courts, of which I counted at least 10 last week on one of my local ones, maybe Lexus would move faster with all their profits going down the drain and their insurance rocketing.  Not suggesting anything here, just a hope that on the off chance thieves might consider the same thing. 

Some dealers have been targeted, but most have bollards in place at night to stop vehicles being stolen.

Even so, those vehicles are owned by the franchisee not Toyota GB so I'm not sure it would have much immediate impact.

But franchises have more clout than the single consumer.  If multiple franchises start threatening to close due to losses then maybe Lexus would do something more/faster.

Reading another thread on this forum people have said that immobilisers can make cars difficult to start. I will part exchange my RX 4th generation but had i kept my car I am not sure I would have installed an immobiliser (even if installed FOC by Lexus) as a way to remedy the canbus issue. I probably would have waited the software update if and when it comes

10 hours ago, FredD said:

Reading another thread on this forum people have said that immobilisers can make cars difficult to start. I will part exchange my RX 4th generation but had i kept my car I am not sure I would have installed an immobiliser (even if installed FOC by Lexus) as a way to remedy the canbus issue. I probably would have waited the software update if and when it comes

Depends on the immobiliser in question & how its installed, I have no problem with the upgraded alarm / immobiliser system on my Toyota hybrid.

Makes more sense to spend slightly more & have a combined alarm / immobiliser upgrade fitted to warn away the car thieves when they attempt the CAN invader theft method. Seems pointless having an immobiliser fitted if the thieves don't find out until they have already damaged the vehicle breaking in to it. 

2 hours ago, Toyota Owner said:

Depends on the immobiliser in question & how its installed, I have no problem with the upgraded alarm / immobiliser system on my Toyota hybrid.

Makes more sense to spend slightly more & have a combined alarm / immobiliser upgrade fitted to warn away the car thieves when they attempt the CAN invader theft method. Seems pointless having an immobiliser fitted if the thieves don't find out until they have already damaged the vehicle breaking in to it. 

How does having an alarm and immobiliser deter car thieves, I don’t follow this argument. 
My Lexus already has the manufacturer alarm, and I have fitted an immobiliser, but they still cause damage getting to the canbus to find out they can’t drive it away. 
Are you relying on some stickers to deter the thieves? OEM stickers, that should do it. I would say a visible steering lock is a deterrent but again not infallible.

1 hour ago, larryadler said:

How does having an alarm and immobiliser deter car thieves, I don’t follow this argument. 
My Lexus already has the manufacturer alarm, and I have fitted an immobiliser, but they still cause damage getting to the canbus to find out they can’t drive it away. 
Are you relying on some stickers to deter the thieves? OEM stickers, that should do it. I would say a visible steering lock is a deterrent but again not infallible.

The manufacturers alarm & immobiliser while Thatcham category 1 approved just isn't up to the job of protecting the vehicle from CAN invader theft.

A suitable Thatcham cat 1 aftermarket security system will sound a warn away as soon as the thieves attempt to gain access to the wheel arch area, if the first warn away is ignored any further attempt will sound the full alarm, the immobiliser will make sure it can't be driven away.

The posts I have seen on another thread concerns me as some people complain that their cars do not start because of this additional immobiliser the software update if and when available is probably the best option

On 7/26/2024 at 4:21 PM, PDM said:

The wifi thing is interesting, I suspect it is something to do with later android versions. If I set "Turn off hotspot automatically" to Off on my Pixel 7 then I once I've typed the wifi password in it will stay on while I stop at a service station. My guess is the hotspot gets a different MAC address on the wifi each time it's restarted. Bluetooth internet tethering doesn't seem to have a problem.

39 minutes ago, FredD said:

The posts I have seen on another thread concerns me as some people complain that their cars do not start because of this additional immobiliser the software update if and when available is probably the best option

Depends on which immobiliser has been fitted to the vehicle & how professionally it was fitted. 

I have had no issues with the system fitted to my vehicle - only time its been triggered so far is when the Toyota dealer managed to set it off 🤣

34 minutes ago, PeterI said:

The wifi thing is interesting, I suspect it is something to do with later android versions. If I set "Turn off hotspot automatically" to Off on my Pixel 7 then I once I've typed the wifi password in it will stay on while I stop at a service station. My guess is the hotspot gets a different MAC address on the wifi each time it's restarted. Bluetooth internet tethering doesn't seem to have a problem.

Peter, I thought I had turned off MAC randomisation, but perhaps that is only as a client and not a hotspot, so you may be correct. I have found internet Bluetooth tethering to be very unreliable. I also have a pixel 7.  Perhaps I should try that again.

Paul

23 hours ago, FredD said:

I've been using the Starline i96 Pro since December 2022, and it's been excellent. I can disarm it using either the mobile app or a series of key presses. I haven't had any problems with it, and the valet mode works as well. My only concern is that sometimes I worry someone might be able to start my car if my phone is nearby, even though it only works within a few feet. To be safe, I usually turn Bluetooth off before I go to sleep.

I've only just come across this can bus issue. My RX450 went in for service last month, I wasn't told or offered any can bus plates, trackers or anything else. This week, it got stolen. Very disappointed with Lexus not even mentioning the vulnerability to me

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rtidrtid said:

I've only just come across this can bus issue. My RX450 went in for service last month, I wasn't told or offered any can bus plates, trackers or anything else. This week, it got stolen. Very disappointed with Lexus not even mentioning the vulnerability to me

Sorry to hear this. Was your vehicle a series III or series IV? It’s only the series IV typically from 2016 onwards that is vulnerable to a CAN bus attack (although technically you could have a very early build at the end of 2015). 

On 7/16/2024 at 4:22 PM, Dippo said:

So what happens to all the cars they take as trade-ins when people upgrade? Are they just not going to tell the prospective buyers about the problem, hold them in stock until there is a fix, or scrap them?

I purchased a 2022 plate 4th Gen from a Lexus Dealership in April, they didn't fit the plates as part of the used car preparation, after 4 weeks it was stolen, when asked if they fit the counter measures as part of used car preparation they said I need to ask, it was found the day after the theft by the police, sheer luck though, took 2 months to get it back, just gone to the Lexus Dealer to fit the plates, tracker and whatever the OBD thing is, they are very vague. Don't rate the Lexus experience, love the car though 

On 7/29/2024 at 1:25 PM, Kumar said:

I've been using the Starline i96 Pro since December 2022, and it's been excellent. I can disarm it using either the mobile app or a series of key presses. I haven't had any problems with it, and the valet mode works as well. My only concern is that sometimes I worry someone might be able to start my car if my phone is nearby, even though it only works within a few feet. To be safe, I usually turn bluetooth off before I go to sleep.

Bluetooth is meant to be safer from intercept/replay. That might be one reason why very few Tesla 3/Y have been stolen as you use your phone as the key with blutooth rather than a traditional radio keyfob. Having said that I do what you do and disable blutooth. If you haven't done so already then you can set up an automation with both Iphone and android to switch off Bluetooth at a certain time or linked to your sleep mode.

• Like 1

Lexus Insurance Services<lexus.support@insurethat.com>
You

Dear Customer,

We are writing to let you know about an important change to your Lexus Insurance Total Loss Asset Protection policy. From 12th July 2024, your policy will be administered by Toyota Insurance Management UK Limited (“we” “us” “our”). This is because your previous administrator, Nukula Limited (trading as InsureThat) (“InsureThat”) has ceased trading.

We want to assure you that your insurance is not affected by this change, you do not need to worry.

oh well, looks like someone couldn't afford covering those thefts

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links