Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus UK statement on vehicle theft - RX continued

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

From my understanding, there will be rewritten software, its just slow coming across to the UK

Yes, this is on the cards for end of this year for the UK.  It's meant to prevent canbus attacks so finally we can sleep easier and hopefully benefit from lower insurance premiums.

• Like 1

Thanks, if they do this by the end of the year that would be welcome. I assume they have already deployed the software update in other countries such as the US ? I could not find any info  about this  on the internet. I know quite a few of us are rightly unhappy about the situation but I am still very fond of the brand and would not consider switching to any other car makers

8 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, this is on the cards for end of this year for the UK.  It's meant to prevent canbus attacks so finally we can sleep easier and hopefully benefit from lower insurance premiums.

• Like 2

I asked Lexus Customer Relations for an update, no mention of anything else (but comms does not seem to be their strong point):

I am pleased to confirm that we have recently notified our Lexus Centre partners to advise of two enhancements which are available for your car. Both will be provided to you free of charge.

We are offering an TRACKER S7 device and an OBD device which creates a 'Geo-fence' around your vehicle. These enhancements will act as additional deterrents as they are used by the police, for example, and are recognised by the insurance industry.

I can advise that training materials are in place for our Centre partners and they can order the Tracker devices and the OBD is to shortly follow. I have contacted Lexus xxxxx on your behalf and they will be in contact with you to arrange for the Tracker to be installed. 

9 hours ago, FredD said:

Thanks, if they do this by the end of the year that would be welcome. I assume they have already deployed the software update in other countries such as the US ? I could not find any info  about this  on the internet. I know quite a few of us are rightly unhappy about the situation but I am still very fond of the brand and would not consider switching to any other car makers

Never say never, but I think it has got to the point where it is worth looking at other brands.

18 hours ago, Spock66 said:

I asked Lexus Customer Relations for an update, no mention of anything else (but comms does not seem to be their strong point):

I am pleased to confirm that we have recently notified our Lexus Centre partners to advise of two enhancements which are available for your car. Both will be provided to you free of charge.

We are offering an TRACKER S7 device and an OBD device which creates a 'Geo-fence' around your vehicle. These enhancements will act as additional deterrents as they are used by the police, for example, and are recognised by the insurance industry.

I can advise that training materials are in place for our Centre partners and they can order the Tracker devices and the OBD is to shortly follow. I have contacted Lexus xxxxx on your behalf and they will be in contact with you to arrange for the Tracker to be installed. 

This is exactly what I was told.  Let's hope that the OBD device is not the final offering as all it does is prevent wireless hacks.  My local centre was clear that further measures were in development for Q3 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom, said:

OBD?

On board diagnostics.  It's a port used to read data from the onboard electronics modules.

57 minutes ago, Tom, said:

OBD?

On Board Diagnostics - usually refers to something that plugs into the OBD connection port.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

This is exactly what I was told.  Let's hope that the OBD device is not the final offering as all it does is prevent wireless hacks.  My local centre was clear that further measures were in development for Q3 

Paul,

I was under the impression that the OBD device would stop the vehicle being driven outside of a specified area (geofencing) rather than deal with wireless/relay type hacks. 

Paul

55 minutes ago, PDM said:

Paul,

I was under the impression that the OBD device would stop the vehicle being driven outside of a specified area (geofencing) rather than deal with wireless/relay type hacks. 

Paul

You may well be right there, its possible I misunderstood, but it was explained as a device which plugs into the obd port so can be easily removed (as was explained to me anyway)

Well, customer service called to ask if I was happy with my tracker fitting experience and I politely explained that whilst I was looked after fine, it doesn't change a thing about theft risk.  Perplexed, the lady said she thought they wouldn't bother stealing it as a tracker was fitted, so had to explain 1) they won't know what's fitted;  2) there's no guarantee the police would free up resources to even bother tracing it before it was in a container somewhere bound for foreign shores and 3) it makes zero difference to insurance premiums currently.   Equally perplexed, she went on to explain I'd got the steel plates fitted so the car couldn't be taken.  With some patience, I explained that it doesn't prevent them damaging the car to find the plates there so the customer is left with the bill and raised insurance premiums with costs to repair damage estimated at an average £4.5K.  She clearly couldn't agree this was the case so I was left to say that it was the last time I bought a Lexus.  Their loss as hundreds of customers think likewise.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Well, customer service called to ask if I was happy with my tracker fitting experience and I politely explained that whilst I was looked after fine, it doesn't change a thing about theft risk.  Perplexed, the lady said she thought they wouldn't bother stealing it as a tracker was fitted, so had to explain 1) they won't know what's fitted;  2) there's no guarantee the police would free up resources to even bother tracing it before it was in a container somewhere bound for foreign shores and 3) it makes zero difference to insurance premiums currently.   Equally perplexed, she went on to explain I'd got the steel plates fitted so the car couldn't be taken.  With some patience, I explained that it doesn't prevent them damaging the car to find the plates there so the customer is left with the bill and raised insurance premiums with costs to repair damage estimated at an average £4.5K.  She clearly couldn't agree this was the case so I was left to say that it was the last time I bought a Lexus.  Their loss as hundreds of customers think likewise.

Not to mention that there are reported cases on here of thefts with plates installed.  Instead of unplugging the CAN connector on the headlight they just cut the wires instead, so the plates are only a small deterrent for a rookie thief.

Given my interactions with customer service on the security and other issues (mainly related to software and vehicle connectivity) they need more training.

Paul

Yes, because they're genuinely under the belief that steel plates prevent theft and don't seem to care about the headache and cost, even if the vehicle isn't taken, to the customer.  Looks like if the software fix isn't out this year as promised I'll be investing in a high security aftermarket immobiliser that won't be easily defeated.  That, plates and a disklok should all but disuuade or prevent theft.

As Lexus are offering the S7 tracker and subscription free of charge to owners, what happens to owners that have already had S7 or S5/PLUS  trackers fitted at their own expense ?

1 hour ago, jim neal said:

As Lexus are offering the S7 tracker and subscription free of charge to owners, what happens to owners that have already had S7 or S5/PLUS  trackers fitted at their own expense ?

I cannot see them paying for those

2 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I'll be investing in a high security aftermarket immobiliser that won't be easily defeated. 

A combined alarm & immobiliser upgrade is a better investment & was the route I took, surprise the thieves with unexpected noise 😉

• Like 1

They are offering a tracker and there is a software rewrite coming probably towards the end of 2024 or 3000 thefts later.

I think your best bet to avoid repair costs, and poor resale value and high insurance prices is to let the thieves take it and have return to invoice gap insurance. Then buy another brand that does work faster and encrypt the canbus and has reasonable insurance costs.

55 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

They are offering a tracker and there is a software rewrite coming probably towards the end of 2024 or 3000 thefts later.

I think your best bet to avoid repair costs, and poor resale value and high insurance prices is to let the thieves take it and have return to invoice gap insurance. Then buy another brand that does work faster and encrypt the canbus and has reasonable insurance costs.

Despite this issue I would not consider buying another brand because for me reliability is paramount. I drive my RX in very bad weather conditions in France (snow, ice) and compared to their brands it is perfect 

• Like 2

Been there, done that, a Lexus is a Lexus, had many brands over the years, I totally agree reliability is paramount, but dealer service commitment and attitude is also part of the Lexus experience.

I came back to Lexus from Audi, and they are great cars( whilst under warranty) but dealers are dreadful.

Reading some of the comments on here about theft of the RX4, there may be a case for educating owners, before the car gets nicked.

Prior to the Lexus announcements, I have already put my own security measures in place. Not infallible, granted but did something proactive, albeit at a cost, for my peace of mind!

Do we really think the current security moves are going to reduce insurance premiums, not a cat in hells chance!

• Like 1

Following a number of emails to Lexus Customer Relations I received a phone call today, I have summarised a few key points:

• The Tracker and OBD Geo Fencing enhancements (along with the protection plates) are the current offering from Lexus
  • Currently not all dealerships have trained staff to fit the Tracker
  • The Tracker company have their own recovery agents so are not solely reliant on the Police and recovery rate is around 95%
  • The OBD Geo Fencing will work in combination with an app and give an alert if the vehicle is moved outside of a specified area
  • A "Can Blocker" solution is being worked on but no details or timescales are currently available (got the impression that the Customer Relations agents have not been briefed with any additional information at this stage)
  • Very apologetic and accepted that the Tracker solution does not prevent thefts, but they are hopeful a widespread deployment would be a deterrent to thieves and they hope will also help with insurance premiums
  • I made the point that the press release back in March was now woefully out of date and an update on the latest status was required, the response was the CR agents are well aware of this and have raised with Senior Management multiple times

Don't shoot the messenger, I am just relaying the information I have and it's source.

• Thanks 2

I still think they should give a financial incentive for those with a 4th generation who want to upgrade to the 5th generation. I will ask them when I have a bit of time

• Like 1

Despite booking mine in and having the tracker fitted, they made no mention of having fitted a geofence OBD device.  I was told that "this is down the line", perhaps as they've not ordered enough?

My Lexus dealer has not contacted me so without this post I would have no idea that a tracker was an available option. It is maybe because they have not trained yet their engineers

30 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Despite booking mine in and having the tracker fitted, they made no mention of having fitted a geofence OBD device.  I was told that "this is down the line", perhaps as they've not ordered enough?

They did say the OBD devices will be available shortly, I am assuming they just plug into the OBD port.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links