Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus UK statement on vehicle theft - RX continued

Hello everyone. New member here. 1st post.

We've just booked our car an RX450h 2016 into Lexus Ipswich for a VPP plate to be fitted Free of Charge.

The lady on the booking team wasn't aware of VPP plates fittings or about booking people in for security enhancements to their cars.

I've asked for the Service Team to call us back to advise what they will do at the appt for the VPP and what the latest is with regards to the security enhancements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jammycakes said:

The lady on the booking team wasn't aware of VPP plates fittings or about booking people in for security enhancements to their cars.

Ask them to check their records as I had mine done there and I can't believe I am the only one.

An example of why I take everything a dealer says with a large pinch of salt, applies to all makes, I was hoping Lexus would be better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Ask them to check their records as I had mine done there and I can't believe I am the only one.

An example of why I take everything a dealer says with a large pinch of salt, applies to all makes, I was hoping Lexus would be better.

I've been booked in for a free VPP plate fitting and requested a call back from the actual service team from the dealership to discuss the security enhancements Lexus is going to be doing to cars affected by thefts.

I've written about that in another chat here called 'car stolen'

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 7:23 PM, GSLV6 said:

Still no update, despite the "we should hear in two weeks time" message I received three weeks ago 🙄

To rub salt in, the would be thieves I noticed have dented the mid point of my nearside rear door top chrome trim.  "No problem" I mused, "...it's probably a £20 strip of chrome taking minutes to replace...".  Lexus quoted me £253 to replace it, including an hour's labour at £195!  They're slowly but surely alienating any loyal customers remaining in the UK.  I've seen this sort of arrogance in pricing at premium levels before and it never works out well for those doing it.  When will they learn?  I'd rather not be paying for swish dealerships, fancy coffee, VIP days and the Christmas bubbly thanks all the same Lexus.  I'd rather walk into a wooden hut with instant decaf and some stools if it meant customers got car care needs at reasonable real world pricing.  To coin a few lyrics "It don't impress me much"!

Now, had they addressed the canbus scandal sooner and more effectively, I'd not have minded as much but this is the last straw for me, and the last Lexus I'll buy.

So true, we just bought a car but are expected to pay for all this unnecessary hype and bull. 

Expect a call from your local Lexus dealer.

They are offering tracker+3 year subscription and to come later (but currently out of stock an OBD?)

I hope the tracker will bring down the cost of insurance.

1 hour ago, MRGRIM said:

They are offering tracker+3 year subscription and to come later (but currently out of stock an ODB?)

Have they also got a software fix for the CANbus?

Paul

4 hours ago, MRGRIM said:

They are offering tracker+3 year subscription and to come later (but currently out of stock an ODB?)

Thanks, has this now been confirmed by Lexus dealers ? I may give a pre-emptive call to mine. 

I knew about the tracker but that won't stop attempted theft and likely will do nothing to thwart premiums.  they're based on attempted theft and theft where a claim is made.

So, the one promised software fix, done via OBD is already "out of stock"?  I don't wish to sound cynical but that's BS.  "Must try harder", comes to mind.

We've waited long enough.  A class action is what's needed now.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 7:23 PM, GSLV6 said:

Still no update, despite the "we should hear in two weeks time" message I received three weeks ago 🙄

To rub salt in, the would be thieves I noticed have dented the mid point of my nearside rear door top chrome trim.  "No problem" I mused, "...it's probably a £20 strip of chrome taking minutes to replace...".  Lexus quoted me £253 to replace it, including an hour's labour at £195!  They're slowly but surely alienating any loyal customers remaining in the UK.  I've seen this sort of arrogance in pricing at premium levels before and it never works out well for those doing it.  When will they learn?  I'd rather not be paying for swish dealerships, fancy coffee, VIP days and the Christmas bubbly thanks all the same Lexus.  I'd rather walk into a wooden hut with instant decaf and some stools if it meant customers got car care needs at reasonable real world pricing.  To coin a few lyrics "It don't impress me much"!

Now, had they addressed the canbus scandal sooner and more effectively, I'd not have minded as much but this is the last straw for me, and the last Lexus I'll buy.

I think the source was not very reliable. Ive had a word with a few staff at 3 different dealership groups and nobody has heard of this announcement.

The canbus issues have been sorted in new Lexus vehicles as its encrypted. I think you'll find that most premium marques charge a fortune for anything doing, its nothing new really. 

Well, I beg to differ Rayaan as I spoke to the service manager of my local Lexus franchise and he was pretty clear that an announcement and the start of the new security updates WOULD be hopefully rolled out this month.  Why would he lie?

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

Well, I beg to differ Rayaan as I spoke to the service manager of my local Lexus franchise and he was pretty clear that an announcement and the start of the new security updates WOULD be hopefully rolled out this month.  Why would he lie?

Just had a call this morning from my local Lexus dealer (Newcastle) confirming that they are just undergoing training on the fitting, setting up and testing the tracker and OBD device. Once complete and the parts are made available, they will be rolled out as a campaign at no cost to the customer.

At the moment they envisage a 2-stage fit, tracker first followed by OBD device some 4 weeks later (but this could change if availability is brought forward).

• Like 1

Just had an email from Lexus who are now rolling out the "fix" which is NOT what they said they would do.  It's just a Ghost tracker with a free three year subscription as reported earlier in this thread with no measures to prevent theft.  I have now registered my interest in a class action against Lexus UK.  I would urge all 4th gen users who have not yet registered to do so...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Just had an email from Lexus who are now rolling out the "fix" which is NOT what they said they would do.  It's just a Ghost tracker with a free three year subscription as reported earlier in this thread with no measures to prevent theft.  I have now registered my interest in a class action against Lexus UK.  I would urge all 4th gen users who have not yet registered to do so...

Have to agree, the ‘fix’ just alerts you that the car has moved from a designated safe area (configured via phone app) and where it’s moved to. Following a conversation with Lexus CS they are aware that while the tracker is an insurance industry approved device it’s unlikely to have an immediate impact on insurance premiums as it can take months for their systems to update.

• Like 1

It won't affect premiums for at least two years.  I have received further news that they are "still working" on an immobiliser solution (how long does it take?) for which an announcement will be made sometime in Q3 2024, some 6 months later than initially promised.  I fully expect either that deadline to move back (again) or for it to be procurement lead in for an after market immobiliser solution.  As an engineer, I simply don't believe that clever techs at Toyota cannot come up with a software mod which is far from beyond them, in double quick time, which all points towards a more likely tendering for an after market procurement solution and roll out programme.

• Like 1

I have just written to "customer services" to ask for clarification.  If the news reported here is accurate it is a huge disappointment to say the least.

What is the OBD device they will be fitting?

Paul

Ok, so I just had a response from customer services.

All they are offering is a tracker and a geofencing device (which is the OBD device discussed above). No mention of an immobilizer or an actual fix to the security flaw.  I find this rather amazing.

Paul

Well...to add a bit of mystery, there is actually an enhanced security package coming out but dealerships are not allowed to broadcast what, nor how it works for fear of tipping off criminal gangs who do read this and other Lexus forums.  Lexus have been working on it for some years now and it's required extensive development to ensure that it will be a permanent and hack proof fix, hence the time delays whilst extensive testing and development have been carried out.  I don't believe it's taken 7 years but has likely been in the pipeline for a good 2 to 3 years and is now in procurement stage.  The good news is that it is a software fix.  The bad news is that it's not due out any time soon, most likely next year so stick with your diskloks, wheel clamps, trackers and after market immobilisers until its rolled out.

• Thanks 2

i think what Lexus UK should do is give us financial incentives to upgrade to newer models that do not have the same issue 😊. I may be wrong but I believe this issue does not affect RX models post 2022 ? Lexus may have to do this as a mitigation factor if there is a class action

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FredD said:

I believe this issue does not affect RX models post 2022 ?

Correct. Gen 5 RX models are unaffected.

Having driven a 5th gen, I could never be persuaded to "upgrade" to one.  I think that the 4RX was the finest iteration of the RX overall, the 3rd gen paint seemed to have better quality (4th gen seems to have thinner paint finish) and more practical load space.  I dislike the 5th Gen design, I prefer the quality and design of 4th gen interiors and there's no way I'd sacrifice the glorious 2GR V6 for an IL4.  I'm prepared to wait for the security fix and am having my tracker fitted shortly in the interim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Having driven a 5th gen, I could never be persuaded to "upgrade" to one.  I think that the 4RX was the finest iteration of the RX overall, the 3rd gen paint seemed to have better quality (4th gen seems to have thinner paint finish) and more practical load space.  I dislike the 5th Gen design, I prefer the quality and design of 4th gen interiors and there's no way I'd sacrifice the glorious 2GR V6 for an IL4.  I'm prepared to wait for the security fix and am having my tracker fitted shortly in the interim.

I tend to agree with you although i like the design of the 5th generation. The problem as i see it is that the software update may never come especially if they now spend all this money on the “temporary” fix. Also financially it is in their interest if people move to the 5th generation. If they give me a few £1000s  rebate I may be tempted (but it is only me)

3 hours ago, FredD said:

I tend to agree with you although i like the design of the 5th generation. The problem as i see it is that the software update may never come especially if they now spend all this money on the “temporary” fix. Also financially it is in their interest if people move to the 5th generation. If they give me a few £1000s  rebate I may be tempted (but it is only me)

I wonder how many people who have been burned by the 4RX security issues would be willing to buy a new gen 5?  It would depend on how big the few £1000s is.

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links