Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car tracking left

2 minutes ago, Paul29 said:

I’m away at the moment and don’t have a before picture, only an after, but this is the area of the passenger side of the bonnet picture I’m referrring to where the panel gaps was elevated about 2cm. 

IMG_9994.jpeg

That's where the pistons are for the lifting in the bonnet near the windscreen in case of an impact with a pedestrian - I wonder if there is an issue with those not being down correctly? There is certainly no problem there with my car.

31 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

That's where the pistons are for the lifting in the bonnet near the windscreen in case of an impact with a pedestrian - I wonder if there is an issue with those not being down correctly? There is certainly no problem there with my car.

I’ve no idea. I’ll make enquiries if a more detailed fix than a bang of my fist is needed. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Paul29 said:

I’ve no idea. I’ll make enquiries if a more detailed fix than a bang of my fist is needed. Thanks. 

To be fair, Paul, your fist may not always be available when someone needs it.  😊

However, I’ve just checked under my car’s bonnet and I see the corner tube that you mean.  I’d noticed them before but never considered what purpose they might have.  So thanks - I’ve learnt something useful today - which I can’t say about every day!

2 hours ago, Paul29 said:

I’m away at the moment and don’t have a before picture, only an after, but this is the area of the passenger side of the bonnet picture I’m referrring to where the panel gaps was elevated about 2cm. 

IMG_9994.jpeg

Thanks, I will check mine.... 2cm is a lot actually.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Thanks, I will check mine.... 2cm is a lot actually.

Yes that's what I thought and why I thought it may have something to do with the pop up head mechanism especially after it went down by pressing on it 

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes that's what I thought and why I thought it may have something to do with the pop up head mechanism especially after it went down by pressing on it 

Here's a picture of a car where the popup hood has activated; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-model-2018-present/934329-pop-up-hood.html

I Imagine the gap here is bigger than 2 cm but it gives an idea of what we're talking about.

I may be wrong, but just a word of caution - I think the popup hood actuators are explosive. A bit of caution might be needed in pushing them down or hitting them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that this has been a topic here a few years ago!

The gist seems to be that these PHP units are explosive, one-time devices that are designed to pop the hood on impact to protect pedestrians.  And then they are replaced.

The fact that one unit was extended could mean that it had been activated, was faulty or badly installed.  Either way, giving it a bang may not be such a wise move.

I hope this earlier post might be useful!

36 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Here's a picture of a car where the popup hood has activated; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-model-2018-present/934329-pop-up-hood.html

I Imagine the gap here is bigger than 2 cm but it gives an idea of what we're talking about.

I may be wrong, but just a word of caution - I think the popup hood actuators are explosive. A bit of caution might be needed in pushing them down or hitting them!

Thanks for the heads up. 
And Len too. 
I am away for a couple of weeks but will look into it properly when I get home. Car is under warranty so if a bigger fix is needed I will get onto the dealer in my own case. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links