Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Been doing a bit of research regarding Lexus car security and according to this article every Lexus since 2020 has UWB keys, also found an article from Lexus stating that the tech in new keys makes the key go to sleep after 4 minutes of inactivity so no need to turn key off ?, not found anything about canbus encryption as yet.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/vehicles-using-digital-keys/

https://www.onio.com/article/uwb-technology-in-cars.html

Those sources are incorrect and especially for the UK/Europe region as the US has different regulations and requirements.

The NX for example got UWB keys in 2023 along with a few other modifications, and the LS only got UWB this year. I believe some models still don't use this technology - the LBX is included in this omission, although you could just use the digital key on your smartphone as this uses Bluetooth which is practically impossible to relay at this time.

As for CAN bus, I don't believe Toyota is looking to use encryption. They are using signatures to register components to the vehicle to stop foreign devices injecting commands and impersonating the door controller for example. Vehicles that use this technology cannot be stolen using current techniques - this includes the LBX.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dells said:

Perhaps it is just the key going to sleep then

https://www.lexus.co.uk/discover-lexus/security

Yes, sleeping keys are now being used - I assume across all models but difficult to be sure as they don't explicitly state when these changes are made on a model by model basis.

5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes, sleeping keys are now being used - I assume across all models but difficult to be sure as they don't explicitly state when these changes are made on a model by model basis.

They don't seem to be explicit about anything but i have just asked on here.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/comment-page-12/?unapproved=48409&moderation-hash=789629ce7fa6708b11ead4448e7efbb6#comment-48409

FWIW - I know there is a LBX somewhere in the UK that has had an aftermarket alarm / immobiliser system fitted on it, the company I used last year to secure my Toyota recently did it & I believe its the first one in the country to have been done. 

The LBX owner apparently wanted more security as all they where getting offered locally was Ghost.

18 hours ago, Toyota Owner said:

FWIW - I know there is a LBX somewhere in the UK that has had an aftermarket alarm / immobiliser system fitted on it, the company I used last year to secure my Toyota recently did it & I believe its the first one in the country to have been done. 

The LBX owner apparently wanted more security as all they where getting offered locally was Ghost.

1 hour ago, Dells said:

This just came up on google.

Must be true then 🤣

The Lexus digital key uses BLE, not UWB.

Within the owners manual at the back is the certifications section. There is no mention of 6.0 GHz - 8.5 GHz frequencies needed by UWB being used (unlike the NX manual for example), so either the manual is missing conforming statements or the LBX doesn't have UWB.

Just got this reply from Lexus so nothing new.

Dell

Dear Derek, 

Thank you for your email. 

It is fantastic to read of your interest in the Lexus LBX, it certainly is a wonderful car.

With regards to your enquiry surrounding the security enhancements, please note that the Lexus LBX is built on a different global architecture and electrical platform to those models that have been targeted. 

With regards to the keys please note that there is a sleep key functionality, which disables the signal from the key to the vehicle after 4 minutes of inactivity. 

I hope this provides you with the information you were seeking, thank you for contacting Lexus UK. 

Kind regards

Claire 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links