Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Labour Gone and dun it.

Government confirms 2030 BAN on new petrol and diesel cars is back - what does it mean for you?

I guess comes as no surprise to most of us that Labour chose to reinstate the timeline for cessation of the sale of new Fossil fuel cars. Moving 2035 back to 2030. Funny when just about every Industry expert says it is untenable. You see why I dislike Ideology so much? It does nothing, but encourage people to be the most stupid version of themselves.

Current market implications anyone?

• Like 1

I'm getting past caring with the new labour/tory lookalike gov't. Just waiting to see how much more damage is coming along soon. 4 more years of disappointment, grin and bear it.  I heard that most people voted "anyone but tories" in the recent election but I don't think they saw this shoddy treatment coming.

Even the manager at our local Lexus garage bemoans the problems with the preponderance of electric vehicles, he said: Hydrogen and synthetic fuels are the future. Maybe he is right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GMB said:

Hydrogen and synthetic fuels are the future.

The new Toyota Hydrogen car will possibly be with us very soon now in the UK and with BP 1200 service stations nationwide with each having a Hydrogen 5 min refuelling capacity ....  well, I might just part with one on my elderly limos and get myself the " New Mirai " or whatever it might be called 

As I said before . I can get some Lexus badges to adorn mine with at that time .........  let's see 

it'll be a fight with the gf about losing her Honda Legend rather than one of my Ls400s for sure

Yep Hydrogen is to be the Lexus future .........  alongside another Govt reversal of the 2030 deadline coz no one in their right mind's going to be buying that pure EV ........  even Ford have decided to bite their $ 1.9bn loss of investment to build the new Ford SUV  😂

Cest le vie

Malc

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, GMB said:

I'm getting past caring with the new labour/tory lookalike gov't. Just waiting to see how much more damage is coming along soon. 4 more years of disappointment, grin and bear it.  I heard that most people voted "anyone but tories" in the recent election but I don't think they saw this shoddy treatment coming.

Even the manager at our local Lexus garage bemoans the problems with the preponderance of electric vehicles, he said: Hydrogen and synthetic fuels are the future. Maybe he is right?

Funny you touched on that idea. I was explaining this to my daughter who being younger and doing what she does tends to be more Labour leaning (mistakenly). That is, Labour politicians think that big fat majority was people voting for their policies. Meanwhile on planet Earth people like you and I know many voted for what they didn't want (another Tory govt) and NOT for Labour policies.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

The new Toyota Hydrogen car will possibly be with us very soon now in the UK and with BP 1200 service stations nationwide with each having a Hydrogen 5 min refuelling capacity ....  well, I might just part with one on my elderly limos and get myself the " New Mirai " or whatever it might be called 

As I said before . I can get some Lexus badges to adorn mine with at that time .........  let's see 

it'll be a fight with the gf about losing her Honda Legend rather than one of my Ls400s for sure

Yep Hydrogen is to be the Lexus future .........  alongside another Govt reversal of the 2030 deadline coz no one in their right mind's going to be buying that pure EV ........  even Ford have decided to bite their $ 1.9bn loss of investment to build the new Ford SUV  😂

Cest le vie

Malc

Another Superhero is born.....meet Malc Nom De Plume ... Hydroman !!! His favoured mode of transport when not flying via Cape Airlines is The (world famous) Lexomobile ...the crowd went "ooooh"

• Haha 1

Latest update Labour set to increase the number of 20mph zones blah blah. So, first we won't look at Wales to see how this went. Second spot the contradiction. We will move the target for cessation of fossil fuel cars forwards to 2030 in the interests of carbon reduction goals. Then we will force drivers to drive inefficiently by using lower gears. Righthand says "Lefthand what's a Lefthand".

• Haha 1

Sigh. Was disappointed in the tories to bring that forward a while back, and because of them 'trying to be more like Labour' with that crap, look what happened, so many people voted em out. 

And we very much did vote 'them out', rather than wanting labour 'in'..  I agree it was time for a change to kick the tories into gear, hopefully this labour spell is short and enough to get the tories functioning again properly next round. 

Unfortunately we're going to be in for four years of a Labour government....  big headline changes like this they think will make them popular (and young people / my generation stupid enough to clap for it) whilst quietly making cuts across the board affecting us all to pay for it, and still coming up short leading to national debt increase..  This is our UK version of the US's horrible Biden-stint since 2020...  

22 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Sigh. Was disappointed in the tories to bring that forward a while back, and because of them 'trying to be more like Labour' with that crap, look what happened, so many people voted em out. 

And we very much did vote 'them out', rather than wanting labour 'in'..  I agree it was time for a change to kick the tories into gear, hopefully this labour spell is short and enough to get the tories functioning again properly next round. 

Unfortunately we're going to be in for four years of a Labour government....  big headline changes like this they think will make them popular (and young people / my generation stupid enough to clap for it) whilst quietly making cuts across the board affecting us all to pay for it, and still coming up short leading to national debt increase..  This is our UK version of the US's horrible Biden-stint since 2020...  

For the record ,"Sigh. Was disappointed in the tories to bring that forward a while back, and because of them 'trying to be more like Labour' with that crap, look what happened, so many people voted em out. ". At least Sunak was smart enough to see the problems and that is why he moved it back to 2035.  Unfortunately, there were too many other identity issues and that is what sunk them.

• Like 2

"This is our UK version of the US's horrible Biden-stint since 2020...  " To quote Michael "Not many people know" that Biden was an economic midget.

Oh Lord there I go again... find a different word/expression. Yes, economically challenged.

@Boomer54 I liked Sunak tbf, was sorry to see him have such a short stint.  Think Boris originally pulled forward it to 2030 / 2035 which was a shame. 

Biden is mentally challenged and even when you look back to the 80s and 90s, an absolute racist scumbag.  Funny how he embodies everything people try to claim Trump is.

No matter what Labour do, that date is moving back. Nobody wants EVs. Nobody ever will on the same scale of proper ICE cars. 

Not even everybody wanted diesels over the last 20 years even when they were popular, they still never met petrol demand completely. And diesels were a lot more practical than EVs. 

By 2030, if not the next few years in between, too many normal working people will have been stung with Battery failures, minor accidents writing off their car more than once and feeling the insurance hit etc.  That's enough for a total revolt. 

That guy Obama might make a good President …… oh he is …… just retired ……. Thought he summed up Trumpety Trump Trump Trump quite well ……. God help America if the next President is some elderly old fossil with now “ officially “ and sadly Dementia …… God help America if the loonies take-over …… again 

Oh, that’s any of ‘em 🥳

We think we have problems here eh 😂🤣😄

We just have to contend with juggling the financials ……. seemingly to beat up the OAPs coz there’s no “ force “ behind us ……. YET. …….. I’m going to ask ASLEF and the RMT to get on-side 

Who’ with me  ?????

Malc 

Can we Petition them please ? 

I think we’re only Anti total and gross incompetence by whomsoever …… whichever camp one might think to support or none

Malc 

27 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

That guy Obama might make a good President …… oh he is …… just retired ……. Thought he summed up Trumpety Trump Trump Trump quite well ……. God help America if the next President is some elderly old fossil with now “ officially “ and sadly Dementia …… God help America if the loonies take-over …… again 

Oh, that’s any of ‘em 🥳

We think we have problems here eh 😂🤣😄

We just have to contend with juggling the financials ……. seemingly to beat up the OAPs coz there’s no “ force “ behind us ……. YET. …….. I’m going to ask ASLEF and the RMT to get on-side 

Who’ with me  ?????

Malc 

Can we Petition them please ? 

You could always petition them by lying on the tracks in front of the train. Could be a one off 'strike' action.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Confusing politics. Anti Trump and Anti Labour?

For the record, I'm pro-Trump and anti-Labour, though Keir is better than Corbyn. Didn't the Buddha say peace, kindness and love to all except scruffy communist terrorist sympathisers or something to that effect?! 😉 lol  I wish I could vote for the Conservatives in London instead of the absolute toddlers in Northern Ireland.  At least Sturgeon knows the name of her country if nothing else.. lol 

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

You could always petition them by lying on the tracks in front of the train. Could be a one off 'strike' action.

I’d be lying there on a strike day, well unless they were lying to me and I was in their sights for a “ strike “ …….. 10 outta 10  …… doubtless this OAP might be set-up by all his “ colleagues “ near and far and given conflicting advice by his erstwhile political advisers and adversaries ……both  here….. and there 🤩

Malc 

5 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Government confirms 2030 BAN on new petrol and diesel cars is back - what does it mean for you?

I guess comes as no surprise to most of us that Labour chose to reinstate the timeline for cessation of the sale of new Fossil fuel cars. Moving 2035 back to 2030. Funny when just about every Industry expert says it is untenable. You see why I dislike Ideology so much? It does nothing, but encourage people to be the most stupid version of themselves.

Current market implications anyone?

On this one I agree with you, however it is no surprise - it was literally in their manifesto. 

Is that ideology over common sense... yes, I think so. But let's not forget that it was originally introduced by Tories... only later pushed further for equally impossible just later date of 2035. So it could be argued it is Tory policy?

Was it worth it to get outright criminal government out... yes absolutelly. Is it good policy - no... it is dumb policy, it is impossible to achieve (2035 is equally impossible)... and it has nothing to do with UK politics - BEV are just not ready for mass adoption and will not be ready by 2030 nor 2035.

Also recognise the date - next election is in 2029, meaning this promise, date ... whatever you call it is meaningless, new government will be elected and will change the date.

As for the industry... I think it is not good, but also it is irrelevant, UK is irrelevant market in terms of global automotive sales. It is only going to hurt consumer in UK, because we will have much worse choice of ICE cars sooner. That said it is not really big issue to me... the newest car I ever planning to own is probably one before 2022, unless it has all the stupid tracking removed from it. So I am quite unlikely to run into issues in my lifetime. And perhaps by the time it becomes relevant to me there will be alternatives like Hydrogen or BEVs themselves will become actually acceptable in quality. 

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

On this one I agree with you, however it is no surprise - it was literally in their manifesto. 

Is that ideology over common sense... yes, I think so. But let's not forget that it was originally introduced by Tories... only later pushed further for equally impossible just later date of 2035. So it could be argued it is Tory policy?

Was it worth it to get outright criminal government out... yes absolutelly. Is it good policy - no... it is dumb policy, it is impossible to achieve (2035 is equally impossible)... and it has nothing to do with UK politics - BEV are just not ready for mass adoption and will not be ready by 2030 nor 2035.

Also recognise the date - next election is in 2029, meaning this promise, date ... whatever you call it is meaningless, new government will be elected and will change the date.

As for the industry... I think it is not good, but also it is irrelevant, UK is irrelevant market in terms of global automotive sales. It is only going to hurt consumer in UK, because we will have much worse choice of ICE cars sooner. That said it is not really big issue to me... the newest car I ever planning to own is probably one before 2022, unless it has all the stupid tracking removed from it. So I am quite unlikely to run into issues in my lifetime. And perhaps by the time it becomes relevant to me there will be alternatives like Hydrogen or BEVs themselves will become actually acceptable in quality. 

Be nice. I might give you first dibs on  a lovely Jaguar XK, just not yet . In truth I am all over your comment about implications for ICE cars. This is going to once again screw badly with second hand markets, because as sure as Jesus watched me turn water into wine the new car market is going to get smaller and smaller forcing demand into the used sector. You might agree that if people are thinking about updating their ICE they might be well advised to do it sooner than later.

6 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Be nice. I might give you first dibs on  a lovely Jaguar XK, just not yet . In truth I am all over your comment about implications for ICE cars. This is going to once again screw badly with second hand markets, because as sure as Jesus watched me turn water into wine the new car market is going to get smaller and smaller forcing demand into the used sector. You might agree that if people are thinking about updating their ICE they might be well advised to do it sooner than later.

You know I am thinking on and off about Jaguar XK, although I probably leaning more toward XKR... could not decide yet! I am also looking to stash away maybe 3 of X100s somewhere in the barn as I am sure they will be future classics. 

I agree - it will screw over consumer, less choice always worse for consumer, hard to predict who exactly... new car buyers, used car buyers, what age of used cars etc. Also electric car buyer, because we already have oversupply of BEVs and PX values have sunk drastically (we have reached saturation point, which you can look-up I was talking about 5 years ago... optimistically I say we can get-up to 30% max, but it happened much closer to my initial guess of ~15%... I think we are now 12.1-12.6% so as far as guesses go I was damn close).

What I am saying - I am just following below logic here:

image.thumb.png.45731857c02721c69bfb7dae23f30081.png

And this applies to any situation in life... I hate criminal government... can I do anything about it? Yes - tactically vote them out of the government... and don't worry about it. New government has policy that does not impact me (not even in principle, like WFP) ... then I have no problem in my life and am not worried. New government has policy that impacts me (like pay per mile VED or new Ban on ICE)? Can I do anything about it? No? Well then I am not worried either.

I know it is sometimes challenging to bring yourself to do anything about it (like I have beer belly and I can't never do enough exercise to get rid of it), or it is hard to accept that you can't do anything about it (I hate that west does not send sufficient arms to Ukraine, but I just can't change that), but this logic is always true in itself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

New government has policy that does not impact me (not even in principle, like WFP) ... then I have no problem in my life and am not worried.

Selfless to the last eh !

The WFP ..........  Winter Fuel Payment  debacle needs people to take the interest to try to protect the OAPs who are vulnerable in our Society ..........  by the way  ..  there's only   431,251  signatories to the AGE  UK  Petition thus far   👋👋👋

431,251   people who quite likely care a little to try to do something positive in their lives about this dreadful state of affairs .....  and    ARE WORRIED

Malc

I just don't agree... some OAPs are vulnerable, but not all. As a generation combined - they are richest generation to have ever lived in human history, but obviously that does not mean there are nobody who are poor in that generation. As such we need better policies, such that target the poor specifically and help them to get by (not deciding by themselves, but means tested national policy). 

However, who really needs help NOW... are ~16-45 years olds who are in real terms the worst off generation since WW2. It is not fault of boomers, it is in my estimation fault of government for not taxing the capital sufficiently (exacerbated by Tories due to their corruption and policy). So the solution would be to lower income tax, push the income brackets higher and start taxing not only CGT, but the capital itself, assets etc. Obviously... it needs to be international effort - UK alone can't do it, it would just tank the economy and make all the uber rich rats to jump the ship (one recently sunk... didn't manage to jump it seems). 

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I just don't agree... some OAPs are vulnerable, but not all.

then there's only some 431,251 that don't quite agree with your way of thought ........... wot a shock !  🤣😂

Malc

• Like 1

From what - 30 odd million of voters (and 66 million residents - to sign petition ones doesn't even need to be 18, nor be a citizen)?What is that.... around 0.6%? Shocker! 

At this rate it may even reach whole percent!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links