Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

UX 250h Woes

As reported a few days ago, I had issues with some juddering on way back from collecting the UX from the Lexus dealer and reported this to them on 10th August, along with a shot of a broken wing mirror, that I was at a total loss to explain after just 5 days of ownership.  Scroll on 9 days - during which all I had were two holding replies - and there’s me ringing them asking what’s going on….along with having to report a rotational scraping noise from underneath the car, that rises and falls commensurate with the car’s speed.  Research suggests this issue could be failing wheel bearings (really….at 20k miles??), ball joint related, or brake/caliper related.  It’s definitely got louder over time, especially turning round corners or going round roundabouts.

Dropping car off next week, and getting a courtesy car as they could have mine for a few days.  Not wholly impressed so far with the overall experience, but when I get it back, all done and dusted, I feel only then can I truly start to enjoy the UX 250h ownership experience…small boot and all😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

As reported a few days ago, I had issues with some juddering on way back from collecting the UX from the Lexus dealer and reported this to them on 10th August, along with a shot of a broken wing mirror, that I was at a total loss to explain after just 5 days of ownership.  Scroll on 9 days - during which all I had were two holding replies - and there’s me ringing them asking what’s going on….along with having to report a rotational scraping noise from underneath the car, that rises and falls commensurate with the car’s speed.  Research suggests this issue could be failing wheel bearings (really….at 20k miles??), ball joint related, or brake/caliper related.  It’s definitely got louder over time, especially turning round corners or going round roundabouts.

Dropping car off next week, and getting a courtesy car as they could have mine for a few days.  Not wholly impressed so far with the overall experience, but when I get it back, all done and dusted, I feel only then can I truly start to enjoy the UX 250h ownership experience…small boot and all😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

You experience is odd for sure. I wonder if it had a crash before and it was not disclosed (I hope not!). Ask about that maybe. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

You sound indignant about a bearing.  You’ve diagnosed it off Google, the place where an itch is often cancer.  It’s probably brake discs if it’s been standing any period of time but they’ll tell you.   The mirror isn’t the car’s fault.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Don C said:

You sound indignant about a bearing.  You’ve diagnosed it off Google, the place where an itch is often cancer.  It’s probably brake discs if it’s been standing any period of time but they’ll tell you.   The mirror isn’t the car’s fault.  

I’ve said I think it’s one of 3 things. The rotational noise isn’t getting better, if anything louder and worse…especially, as I say, when I’m cornering or going round roundabouts.  Some might say classic signs of bearing failure.  I’m all for getting it up on a ramp - which the dealer will do - getting it diagnosed, and fixed.  The broken mirror, for your information, I noticed 5 days after collecting the car….and I’d not been anywhere for that to happen or hit anything in that time….leading me to question it with the dealer as it may have been missed by all (yes, including me🙄) You don’t ask, you don’t get.  It appears you’re the one getting indignant - although I’m not quite sure why - with my relaying the facts regarding my experiences not only with the car but, perhaps more so, with the dealer.  Once it’s fixed I’ll be more than happy😉

• Like 1

Does the noise go when you brake firmly (to ensure you are using friction braking and not regen)?

If so that could point to discs/pads as @Don C has suggested. 

Another way to ensure you are using friction brakes is to put the car in N, that disables regen braking and gives you full friction braking. 

• Like 1

Not the dreaded electric car noise is it? Even my daughter's yappy dog doesn't bark now as it hears me a quarter of a mile away and recognises the sound effect from UFO the 70's sci-fi series!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

Not the dreaded electric car noise is it? Even my daughter's yappy dog doesn't bark now as it hears me a quarter of a mile away and recognises the sound effect from UFO the 70's sci-fi series!

I too thought about that, but I believe it does it even going faster, but not sure what that speed is? The pedestrian noise goes off at 15mph I think 🤔 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

What I do like is when it sounds a little like a jet engine - when it kind of whistles - whilst, I've noted, the EV light is off.  Other than that, I crept up behind an old couple out walking along a local track....it was in EV mode, and I heard the lady comment, as I approached..."I can't hear the engine"....I came so so close to winding the window down and calling out "......these things run on thin air...didn't you know?"😄

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stepppy said:

Does the noise go when you brake firmly (to ensure you are using friction braking and not regen)?

If so that could point to discs/pads as @Don C has suggested. 

Another way to ensure you are using friction brakes is to put the car in N, that disables regen braking and gives you full friction braking. 

Not entirely sure what you're saying there Stephen - I'm completely new to this self-charging hybrid thing.  I don't hear the noise whilst braking, I think that's for sure.  As I said to the dealer today - when I rang to ask when I was going to get a reply to my previous - things are getting a tad embarrassing as I cruise through the locality in EV mode and the rubbing/scraping noise is loud enough for all to hear.  He told me I can't have that😉 As I say, I love the car, the way it goes, and getting - at the moment - around 57mpg on average.   Once it's fixed - I'll be the happiest Lexus owner in the world😍

Then to me, if the noise goes when you brake then it could be the pads/discs making the noise due to surface rust build up as suggested by @Don C 

My suggestion of putting the car in N and doing some long firm depressions on the brakes may help to clear it. I used to do this on my Prius as the brakes would start to squeak due to lack of use as the car used regen braking most of the time. 

Looking at your profile it says your UX is 2020 which I think is when the pedestrian alert noise sounder (UFO noise) was added. This activates when the engine (ICE) is off and the car is travelling under 15-18mph. 

Also, just to clarify, you say EV mode, but do you just mean when the car automatically slips in silent running i.e. engine off and little green car with showing EV in the instrument cluster?

EV mode is when you use the physical EV button on the centre console.  This is primarily for moving the car without the ICE starting.  I use it to take the car out of the garage when I wash it. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stepppy said:

Then to me, if the noise goes when you brake then it could be the pads/discs making the noise due to surface rust build up as suggested by @Don C 

My suggestion of putting the car in N and doing some long firm depressions on the brakes may help to clear it. I used to do this on my Prius as the brakes would start to squeak due to lack of use as the car used regen braking most of the time. 

Looking at your profile it says your UX is 2020 which I think is when the pedestrian alert noise sounder (UFO noise) was added. This activates when the engine (ICE) is off and the car is travelling under 15-18mph. 

Also, just to clarify, you say EV mode, but do you just mean when the car automatically slips in silent running i.e. engine off and little green car with showing EV in the instrument cluster?

EV mode is when you use the physical EV button on the centre console.  This is primarily for moving the car without the ICE starting.  I use it to take the car out of the garage when I wash it. 

I hope this helps. 

Cheers Stephen - I will try the long firm brake depressions as has been suggested.  Yes, when I say "EV Mode" I mean it slipping into silent running with the little green EV Mode light on.  I haven't engaged the EV Mode button yet...I have it in 'normal' driving mode at the moment and, most of the time, it puts itself into EV Mode (little green light) as I'm reversing out of the driveway and off down the road....all under 15 mph.  It will take some getting used to...having come straight from a BMW 325i Touring with a straight six naturally aspirated petrol engine....but smugness now comes in the shape in getting 55mpg+ the whole time, rather than leaving a boy racer behind in your rear view mirror,😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links