Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Road Tax

As of 18th July 2024…

The United Kingdom has no plans to follow the European Union's lead and impose tariffs on imports of China-made electric vehicles or EVS. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Bob King said:

As of 18th July 2024…

The United Kingdom has no plans to follow the European Union's lead and impose tariffs on imports of China-made electric vehicles or EVS. 

Why am I not surprised?. Do we think may be our elected officials don't understand the notion of an economic war ?

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Then you will like this....

"Canada’s government on Monday announced it is imposing a 100% tariff on imports of Chinese-made electric vehicles that matches U.S. tariffs and follows similar plans announced by the European Commission."

That might have been a misprint that should read "French Commission" (sic)

I like this, despite it being 100% protectionism. The reason I like this is quite different from discussion relating French "protectionism". Reason 1 - all technology in China is 95%+ stolen, it is not even secret, but literally in Chinese state law (to be fair foreign capital companies, like all German automakers had an "option", and that option was either they can't sell cars in China, or they have to agree for their trade secrets and IP to be taken by Chinese state... is it really an option it is for you to decide, but they decided to sell cars in China and make short term profit). 2 - Chinese BEVs are just unsafe, their certification is fake (as everything in China), so they simply cannot be trusted not to explode. No sure - the more suitable restriction would be outright ban, or local certification in EU (which you wouldn't like, because according to you having strict standards is "protectionism")... and then any vehicle that fails strict EU certification would be banned. 3 - they all are literally spying for Chinese government (and make no mistake EU/US made cars do spy as well, but not in same way) and last place I want my data to be is in communist and imperialist dictatorship hands.

It seems EU went in protectionism route here, which again... based on 3 reasons about I don't mind, but also I don't think that was best solution - outright ban and also aggressive enforcement of trademarks and patents globally (meaning they can't be sold AT ALL outside China and few other hermit regimes) would be more appropriate, but I also appreciate the fact EU still wants the trade with China to remain in place, because most of our goods made there (which is also very bad... why we even trade with genocidal regime isn't exactly clear to me, but it is very clearly not morally right).

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

What is UK tariff on Chinese ev's?

Seeing a lot of MGs

Clearly not enough, hate the damn things... but they are technically not Chinese (they are NAC MG UK Limited in Longbridge, Birmingham... and yes "NAC" stands for what you think it does - Nanjing Automobile Corporation), so perhaps that makes a difference.

Why would we allow any state owned company to sell in our market is unclear, because it is clearly against anti-competition and state sponsorship rules. NAC isn't a private business it is literally owned by communist party of china.   

21 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Why am I not surprised?. Do we think may be our elected officials don't understand the notion of an economic war ?

No they just have no balls and no leverage, because it turns out UK is too little in big world and outside of EU has no voice. So getting tangled into trade war with superstate of genocidal regime is not going to work our well. EU can afford it, US can afford it, but UK can't. 

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I like this, despite it being 100% protectionism. The reason I like this is quite different from discussion relating French "protectionism". Reason 1 - all technology in China is 95%+ stolen, it is not even secret, but literally in Chinese state law (to be fair foreign capital companies, like all German automakers had an "option", and that option was either they can't sell cars in China, or they have to agree for their trade secrets and IP to be taken by Chinese state... is it really an option it is for you to decide, but they decided to sell cars in China and make short term profit). 2 - Chinese BEVs are just unsafe, their certification is fake (as everything in China), so they simply cannot be trusted not to explode. No sure - the more suitable restriction would be outright ban, or local certification in EU (which you wouldn't like, because according to you having strict standards is "protectionism")... and then any vehicle that fails strict EU certification would be banned. 3 - they all are literally spying for Chinese government (and make no mistake EU/US made cars do spy as well, but not in same way) and last place I want my data to be is in communist and imperialist dictatorship hands.

It seems EU went in protectionism route here, which again... based on 3 reasons about I don't mind, but also I don't think that was best solution - outright ban and also aggressive enforcement of trademarks and patents globally (meaning they can't be sold AT ALL outside China and few other hermit regimes) would be more appropriate, but I also appreciate the fact EU still wants the trade with China to remain in place, because most of our goods made there (which is also very bad... why we even trade with genocidal regime isn't exactly clear to me, but it is very clearly not morally right).

Clearly not enough, hate the damn things... but they are technically not Chinese (they are NAC MG UK Limited in Longbridge, Birmingham... and yes "NAC" stands for what you think it does - Nanjing Automobile Corporation), so perhaps that makes a difference.

Why would we allow any state owned company to sell in our market is unclear, because it is clearly against anti-competition and state sponsorship rules. NAC isn't a private business it is literally owned by communist party of china.   

No they just have no balls and no leverage, because it turns out UK is too little in big world and outside of EU has no voice. So getting tangled into trade war with superstate of genocidal regime is not going to work our well. EU can afford it, US can afford it, but UK can't. 

"which you wouldn't like". The reason you will not understand my reasoning is because you continue to believe I have some judgemental view on protectionism. That is , I either "like" it ,or don't "like" it. Fact is, I am agnostic other than I can either support ,or not support protectionism on a strategic basis as to how it meets it's purported goals. That doesn't mean I "like" it. it means the rational stands up so I can understand it's use. On that note I would largely be behind most of you had to say above.

25 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

"which you wouldn't like". The reason you will not understand my reasoning is because you continue to believe I have some judgemental view on protectionism. That is , I either "like" it ,or don't "like" it. Fact is, I am agnostic other than I can either support ,or not support protectionism on a strategic basis as to how it meets it's purported goals. That doesn't mean I "like" it. it means the rational stands up so I can understand it's use. On that note I would largely be behind most of you had to say above.

I guess the example of figurative speech there. The reason I mentioned it is just because for some reason you took particular issue with French "protectionism"... or I guess to be fair we have not agreed on the point of it actually being protectionism, because I see it just as a matter of keeping equal standards and fair market for everyone... and not allowing themselves to be flooded with inferior quality, GMO or immorally made products (which in theory should ban all Chinese imports).

We agree on that 100% tariff on chinese BEVs is protectionism, although I guess it could potentially be seen as a measure to punish chinese for patent breaching (but I also agree it could be done in better ways). 

oh the blissful and intrepid V8s of our generation which will outlast any of these amazing EVs from whereso'er they arrive on our shores 

My Ls400      Car Road Tax is I think just ..... only ......hahahahaha  .........   £345 pa   👋

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links