Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

GS 300h 2018 & GSF 2019 canbus theft risk

Go to solution Solved by Duggie B,

Hi all.

After waiting for any news from Lexus on the potential added security/vulnerability canbus theft issues on the GS models as per their info as to which models are at risk of theft, I yesterday sent an email to customer relations regarding the risk of the two vehicles in our family (as per topic title).

Those of us who have the said vehicles please see response received back from Lexus CR.Screenshot_20240814_120331_YahooMail.thumb.jpg.3e77c7e6b9d066c3d3497be9995a3a52.jpg

So..........whilst she apologies for any disappointment, is this actually good news? i.e. the GSF is NOT at risk of theft via the CANbus?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

I have replied to her showing the official Lexus bulletin that clearly states GS & GS F model years at risk.

I will update as soon as I get a response.

• Like 1

To my knowledge all GS Fs are vulnerable. The headlight ECU and Certification ECU (door lock control) are on the same CAN bus (bus 2) which allows the attacker to disable the alarm/unlock the door via the headlight wiring.

• Like 1

I would just leave the door open if it’s so easy to steal.

No point closing the car, less potential damage.

I suggest to install some decent tracker to at least find it if theft happens.

All above is not a joke.

• Solution
23 hours ago, Duggie B said:

I have replied to her showing the official Lexus bulletin that clearly states GS & GS F model years at risk.

I will update as soon as I get a response.

Today I received a phone call from customer relations (pleasant lady) who was extremely apologetic for having given me the wrong information regarding GS/ GS F vehicles.

She had, upon reading my reply with a screen shot of the official Lexus list showing vehicles at risk, gone back to the Technical Team who checked again (apparently due to both cars having cherished plates they checked against vin numbers this time) and have agreed that the GS F cars are at risk but the hybrids are not due to being built on the different global architecture.

The good news for me because of this being wrongly informed, as a good will gesture they will fit a tracker and geo fence to the 300h as well as the F.

So to clarify.

GS F is sanctioned for security upgrade.

Hybrids are not sanctioned (except for mine).

Apparently dealers are aware of the models concerned and GS F owners should book in with their preferred dealer to get the ball rolling for fitment of the security enhancements.

I

• Like 2

Interesting. I’ll call Bristol Lexus tomorrow to see if I can make the booking. 

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

Interesting. I’ll call Bristol Lexus tomorrow to see if I can make the booking. 

If you get no joy drop an email to Lexus Customer Relations 👍

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 11:12 AM, F.A. said:

All booked in for this Friday. Thank you @Duggie B for the heads up 

Would appreciate some feed back on how it all goes🤞

I haven't found a window of time to get mine booked in as yet, mad busy with work atm.

Typical I get the positive response from Lexus only to be scuppered on the work front

• Like 1

From what I know from the RX and LC forums if your GSF is at risk you should be offered a free cat S7 tracker and 3 year contract, plus an OBD geofence device. I’d also add an immobiliser PLUS stickers to warn the thief away as all these high tech solutions are invisible.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links