Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Advice on buying 2008 SC430 vs 2002

Just looked at both videos and it looks very genuine underneath, had one new shock absorber at the back and the rear suspension looks excellent for its age .

Just the exhaust has surface corrosion but they normal for its age .

Took a few screen shots …..

IMG_7428.jpeg

IMG_7427.jpeg

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7424.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

IMG_7422.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob King said:

So if you buy it and go collect it, how long is the journey home to the south

It’s quite a long journey—about 1,300 km (800 miles), which would take roughly 13 to 15 hours. I checked the cost with "ViaMichelin," and it’s approximately 450 euros (!). The dealer quoted me around 600 euros for delivery right to my door, so I’m considering the delivery option, even though a road trip would be very cool!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I drove from Switz to uk last week. 700m.

Cost me two tanks. £200

For those who may be numerically challenged that equates to one tank per one clog foot.

• Haha 2

Hi everyone! I've been away for the summer holidays 😄

I actually bought the 2008 car and am now taking care of the final details before getting it shipped to where I live (insurance, taxes, etc.). I really wanted to do the road trip, but the only dates I have available for a flight to pick it up have insanely high prices, 300€+, while shipping it will cost just 450€. Considering I’ll be back at work next week and won’t have time for the trip, this was my only option. I can’t wait to drive it and share my experience as an SC430 owner with all of you 😁

• Like 3

Gulp …….. you’re prepared to buy it on trust then ……. sight unseen apart from a 3rd party’s piccys vids etc …….. I’d not be that trusting UNLESS you’re paying for it upon actual delivery and your satisfactory inspection 

Think again maybe about taking that one-way flight 🤔

Malc 

11 minutes ago, MemoryDealer said:

Hi everyone! I've been away for the summer holidays 😄

I actually bought the 2008 car and am now taking care of the final details before getting it shipped to where I live (insurance, taxes, etc.). I really wanted to do the road trip, but the only dates I have available for a flight to pick it up have insanely high prices, 300€+, while shipping it will cost just 450€. Considering I’ll be back at work next week and won’t have time for the trip, this was my only option. I can’t wait to drive it and share my experience as an SC430 owner with all of you 😁

Great news , let’s see a few photo’s once you have it home. Plus what you think of the car and how it drives 👍🏻

50 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Anyone thinking an Italian meetup next year?

I have happy memories of driving to Italy every year for eighteen years but never in a sports car but fast estate cars. The Brenner pass in Switzerland is worth doing on the way or coming back. 

I was fascinated at the Motorways enroute 😂🤣 occasionally they just STOPPED in mud and gravel and continued as a B road whatever ……. but that was some years back ……. Surely they’ve improved 🥳 

Malc 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I was fascinated at the Motorways enroute 😂🤣 occasionally they just STOPPED in mud and gravel and continued as a B road whatever ……. but that was some years back ……. Surely they’ve improved 🥳 

Malc 

"Surely they’ve improved 🥳 "

Yes, they've removed those annoying dinosaur bones that used to shred your tyres.

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

"Surely they’ve improved 🥳 "

Yes, they've removed those annoying dinosaur bones that used to shred your tyres.

But all in all I had a most amazing marvellous one month trip driving around and Top to Toe holiday throughout Italy  .....  but it did take me a whole month 👍

Malc

Just now, Malc1 said:

But all in all I had a most amazing marvellous one month trip driving around and Top to Toe holiday throughout Italy  .....  but it did take me a whole month 👍

Malc

In truth I am envious. I really really like Italy. The wine, food, culture just ticks all my boxes. A country wide tour would be bellissimo. Don't get me started on their shoes !! Absolutely, the best in the world to be found there combining outstanding design with finishing work of the highest order. I'm rambling !

• Like 2

Just take yourself off ...  that's all I ever did when gf indoors wanted to / wants to stay behind to look after all our cats ........ I've done a few of those one month away stints over the years ..  in my N reg Ls400 too 

BUT I have taken earlier Ls400s over much of closer Europe too .......  we have now  / I had courtesy of my 2nd wife ...  much German family to go see including into the old Eastern Bloc too ...  I first started my European ramblings with my bank mgr car .....  a Vauxhall Carlton was a blissful car to go fly around Switzerland especially ......  but that was some 35 years back  .  when I was young and had much energy ... ....  sadly that energy has dissipated over recent times 🤣😂

Malc 

"sadly that energy has dissipated over recent times"

Tell me about it.. Jacked the car up, scooted around under it for a bit just looking. Dropped off  a wheel (when did they get so heavy) messed around a bit. Two hours dozing afterwards.

• Haha 1

I’m currently trying to fit a new throttle controller and failing at the moment. I did it before a couple of years ago now I am really struggling to get up under the dashboard. Seat reclined legs over the top with my head rammed in the drivers foot well. To top it all I pulled a connector by mistake and can’t see where it came from. I can see a visit to the physio for a pulled muscle if I actually manage it. It’ should be an easy job but getting to the connector to squeeze and pull is a nightmare.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Gulp …….. you’re prepared to buy it on trust then ……. sight unseen apart from a 3rd party’s piccys vids etc

Oh no, I actually test-drove the car and saw it in person a couple of weeks ago—it drove beautifully! The only thing I couldn’t check was the underside, which is why I posted the two videos 😁. I definitely wouldn’t have bought it without driving it first!

As for the road trip, maybe next year... My job only allows for two weeks of vacation, so I’ll have to figure out how to make it work. It’s much more likely that I’ll start with a road trip around Sicily

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 5:35 PM, Glyn Jennings said:

I’m currently trying to fit a new throttle controller and failing at the moment. I did it before a couple of years ago now I am really struggling to get up under the dashboard. Seat reclined legs over the top with my head rammed in the drivers foot well. To top it all I pulled a connector by mistake and can’t see where it came from. I can see a visit to the physio for a pulled muscle if I actually manage it. It’ should be an easy job but getting to the connector to squeeze and pull is a nightmare.

I have been on holiday but now back and have managed to fit the new throttle controller. I reckon I know why Lexus said it didn’t work when they refitted it as the cable has been so stretched in tight cable ties. The new one is now working OK.  I have to say I am not exactly impressed with the standard of work by the  Lexus mechanic who did the work as in taking the centre console out myself the arm that operates the soft close ashtray door is broken . I can see that it has been glued by them as a repair.  I know it was fine before as I had removed it myself a couple of years ago to wrap the ashtray door. This happens when you try to refix the console back with the ashtray door closed.
Probably something that is going to be very difficult to source on it’s own and people want a lot of money for the whole ashtray assembly. So I am going to have to make a better repair than they did.  

Bearing mind the age and rarity of the SC I don’t think many Lexus mechanics are that clued up on them when it comes to the interior parts. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links