Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Advice on buying 2008 SC430 vs 2002

Hello everybody, I hope you’re all having great days.

This is my second post asking for advice on buying an SC430. This time, I need your valuable knowledge about some things I noticed and felt after traveling 800 miles to test drive two very different SC430s.

The first one was a black 2008 model with only 85k miles, with certified Lexus maintenance every two years up until the last service, and aftermarket black Recaro seats (comfortable but a bit mismatched with the light-colored interior). The Carfax report showed two accidents, one in 2011 and another in 2015, both minor.

The car drives VERY well, and everything works, but:
- There’s no information on whether or when the timing belt was changed (the dealer claimed it was changed, but only after I asked—no receipts or documentation were provided, and I don't really trust dealers these days);
- As soon as I put it in reverse, I heard a steady beep that stops only when reverse is disengaged. The dealer said it’s a faulty parking sensor, but the parking sensor sound seemed different to me when moving forward. I haven’t been able to find a video or post about this issue, so I’m not sure if these two sounds should be different (this is the only SC with parking sensors that I’ve driven);
- The tire pressure light was on the dashboard, but of course, the dealer told me not to worry about it.

The exterior is in very good shape, with no bumps or scratches. The dealer has the original wheels (the ones currently on the car are aftermarket). The drive was pleasant, the AC was very powerful, and all the original sound systems worked perfectly. The price is €21,500 (about 18400£).

Now, about the second SC430.
This one was also black but 2003, with the original interior (which needs restoration). It’s one of the very few SCs without a factory screen (an aftermarket one was added by the owner), custom wheels, a custom sound system with Android Auto/CarPlay wireless, a dashcam, and front/back reversing cameras. It also had aftermarket Meister adjustable suspension. It has 223,000 miles on it.

The exterior was not perfect, with a couple of scratches and two small hailstorm dents, but nothing major. The owner showed me the entire history of the car, including receipts for the modifications and maintenance. The car was his daily driver and a personal project. The Carfax report was clean.

Now, the test drive was definitely less refined compared to the 2008 car, mainly because of the steering. The owner told me the car needs an alignment, but I’ll describe how it felt anyway:
- The steering was definitely heavy;
- The steering wheel didn’t return to the straight position by itself;
- The car pulls to the right when driving but pulls fairly hard to the left when braking.

That’s it. The engine ran smoothly, gear changes were very smooth (I didn’t even notice it shifting, to be honest), and the owner let me drive it hard and was very honest. The timing belt, brakes, and radiator were all changed about 5,000 miles/1 year ago. The price is €14,000 (about 11,200£).

My considerations: There is a substantial price difference between these two very different cars—a rougher one that has been cared for, and a more refined one that seems to have been maintained but with much less information about its history beyond the usual two-year checks. The dealer would also give me a 12-month warranty. I think that’s all the information I could think of.

I would really like to know what more seasoned people think about this and what you would do. Personally, I like the 2003's original interiors and custom wheels but definitely prefer the 2008's ride, assuming, of course, the strange steering on the 2003 was due only to the wheel alignment.

I hope I wasn’t too tedious. I appreciate any advice and questions.

Love you all.

18 minutes ago, MemoryDealer said:

Hello everybody, I hope you’re all having great days.

This is my second post asking for advice on buying an SC430. This time, I need your valuable knowledge about some things I noticed and felt after traveling 800 miles to test drive two very different SC430s.

The first one was a black 2008 model with only 85k miles, with certified Lexus maintenance every two years up until the last service, and aftermarket black Recaro seats (comfortable but a bit mismatched with the light-colored interior). The Carfax report showed two accidents, one in 2011 and another in 2015, both minor.

The car drives VERY well, and everything works, but:
- There’s no information on whether or when the timing belt was changed (the dealer claimed it was changed, but only after I asked—no receipts or documentation were provided, and I don't really trust dealers these days);
- As soon as I put it in reverse, I heard a steady beep that stops only when reverse is disengaged. The dealer said it’s a faulty parking sensor, but the parking sensor sound seemed different to me when moving forward. I haven’t been able to find a video or post about this issue, so I’m not sure if these two sounds should be different (this is the only SC with parking sensors that I’ve driven);
- The tire pressure light was on the dashboard, but of course, the dealer told me not to worry about it.

The exterior is in very good shape, with no bumps or scratches. The dealer has the original wheels (the ones currently on the car are aftermarket). The drive was pleasant, the AC was very powerful, and all the original sound systems worked perfectly. The price is €21,500 (about 18400£).

Now, about the second SC430.
This one was also black but 2003, with the original interior (which needs restoration). It’s one of the very few SCs without a factory screen (an aftermarket one was added by the owner), custom wheels, a custom sound system with Android Auto/CarPlay wireless, a dashcam, and front/back reversing cameras. It also had aftermarket Meister adjustable suspension. It has 223,000 miles on it.

The exterior was not perfect, with a couple of scratches and two small hailstorm dents, but nothing major. The owner showed me the entire history of the car, including receipts for the modifications and maintenance. The car was his daily driver and a personal project. The Carfax report was clean.

Now, the test drive was definitely less refined compared to the 2008 car, mainly because of the steering. The owner told me the car needs an alignment, but I’ll describe how it felt anyway:
- The steering was definitely heavy;
- The steering wheel didn’t return to the straight position by itself;
- The car pulls to the right when driving but pulls fairly hard to the left when braking.

That’s it. The engine ran smoothly, gear changes were very smooth (I didn’t even notice it shifting, to be honest), and the owner let me drive it hard and was very honest. The timing belt, brakes, and radiator were all changed about 5,000 miles/1 year ago. The price is €14,000 (about 11,200£).

My considerations: There is a substantial price difference between these two very different cars—a rougher one that has been cared for, and a more refined one that seems to have been maintained but with much less information about its history beyond the usual two-year checks. The dealer would also give me a 12-month warranty. I think that’s all the information I could think of.

I would really like to know what more seasoned people think about this and what you would do. Personally, I like the 2003's original interiors and custom wheels but definitely prefer the 2008's ride, assuming, of course, the strange steering on the 2003 was due only to the wheel alignment.

I hope I wasn’t too tedious. I appreciate any advice and questions.

Love you all.

You are in the right place to get advice on the SC 430. Handful of guys some with great mechanical experience who can give you pointers. However, I wouldn't even bother to ask for that advice regarding the two vehicles you cite. Both are so overpriced no one on this forum would get out bed to look at them on Autotrader never mind drive to see them.

Good condition examples post 2006 will bring an higher price all things being equal, but there is really a cap on what that will bring. Very low mileage (sub 50k)with good condition can ask 12k to 15k ish. When you move up into the next range 50k to 80k that same condition is not usually going to get you above £10k.

Pre facelift models (before 2006 changeover) works the same way, but the price cap is lower. Low mileage ceiling £10k ish depending on upgrades. Higher mileage range 50k to 80k more likely to top out around £8k.

Over 100k miles post facelift probably not getting beyond £8 to 10k. Pre facelift range ceiling around £5k usually. The further you go above 100k miles the lower those ceilings go.

Of course people can ask what they like, but usually when they get that wrong they will hang around on Autotrader unsold.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly for your response!

I live in Italy, and unfortunately, the UK market is out of reach for me. Prices here are much higher across the board (you can check average prices outside of the UK on sites like Mobile.de for Germany or Autoscout24 for Italy, where I live, and the rest of Europe). These are the best I was able to go and test drive. I might consider importing one from the UK, but I believe that, between taxes and transport costs, it wouldn’t make economic sense. 😢

suggest maybe you simply arrange to check out some here in the UK  . fly over one way, ( as cheap as chips ) , and drive the one you buy home to Italy .........  a lovely drive and if you've bought the right car will get you home safely and easily .........

and save yourself much money in the process ........  maybe up to £10k ....  and if you can't find one here in the UK ........... then just fly back home .............. 🤞

Malc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

suggest maybe you simply arrange to check out some here in the UK  . fly over one way, ( as cheap as chips ) , and drive the one you buy home to Italy .........  a lovely drive and if you've bought the right car will get you home safely and easily .........

and save yourself much money in the process ........  maybe up to £10k ....  and if you can't find one here in the UK ........... then just fly back home .............. 🤞

Malc

Malc, Hmm, Left hand drive /Right hand drive !

Apologies Franscesco I should have noted you were not UK based. Our pricing structure does not apply in Europe, nor indeed the USA.

When I have more time later I will come back to you on the issues you have mentioned IF others don't beat me to it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Malc, Hmm, Left hand drive /Right hand drive !

Exactly! I really liked the idea of taking a one-way flight to the UK and driving back with an SC430, but in reality, Italy's narrow roads and unpredictable drivers make it an even less suitable place for a right-hand drive car. 😢

21 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Apologies Franscesco

Absolutely no need to apologize! It is the UK forum after all. 

Appreciate all the responses ❤️ 

• Like 1

Oh yes, I forgot you’re  L/h driving   BUT.  I had a fantastic month’s holiday driving thru’ the length and breadth of Italy in my Ls400 and the road widths and terrain didn’t present a problem at all …… but there were a few challenging drivers tho’ 🤣

Good luck 

Malc 

• Like 1

Coming back to your issues on the vehicles test driven.

1. Sensors. Put that into search and you will find comments on this. I have sensors front and back with no noise difference. I have had one event as you described. This was just after cleaning. When I rewashed that area the noise went off and as not reappeared. Sounds like I left some polishing material on a sensor. Anyway, in my view over to you Mr Dealer your problem, you resolve it to sell.

2. Tyre Pressure light. Might be very simple, or not quite so simple. Again we have threads on the subject. However, as per last issue over to you Mr Dealer.

Car 2

1. Handling. Several things spring to mind, but I am going to cut and paste that to the thread for Bob to look at. His insights will definitely be better than mine.

You have a bit of a quandary before you. The second seller is clearly more transparent than the first which is to be preferred. However, you have a £7k price difference to weigh where the most significant factor being presented to account for it is the mileage differential 85k against 233k ! The less important criteria to my mind is the age difference. To me that is largely irrelevant. When cars get to this type of age how they have been treated is more important than a few years in age.

Ask yourself do you have any idea how long you are intending to keep this car? If it's a whim to satisfy then resale is important. If you are going to keep it say 5 years then £7k price difference over 5 yrs is what to you?

If you decide the more expensive one is the way to go make sorting issues a condition of sale to the dealer. Frankly, if I had a dealer who was unresponsive to that approach I would walk away.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum 👍🏻

Do you have a link to both the cars you are interested in ?

For me ..buy as young a car as you can afford, the 2008 has possibilities but a few warnings signs that would concern me .

My idea of a light bump/accident is one that hasn’t been registered with the insurance ..they both have so you have to wonder what was the damage ?

With the Recaro seats fitted it will no longer have drivers/passanger air bags fitted so a possible safety issue and one you would need to tell your insurance about if you buy it .

Depending on the quality of the dealer selling the car you would want the timing belt/water pump, parking sensors and TPMS wheel sensors all replaced/fixed as part of the buying price .

As you are based in Italy you have the choice of any SC430 from Europe as they will all be LHD, if you are not happy with the 2008 car …keep searching 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone!

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Ask yourself do you have any idea how long you are intending to keep this car? If it's a whim to satisfy then resale is important. If you are going to keep it say 5 years then £7k price difference over 5 yrs is what to you?

I’d like to keep the car as long as possible, but since I’m still quite young, life can be uncertain and things can change, so I’ll definitely consider resale value in my decision. I appreciate this insight—I hadn’t really thought much about it until now. Also, I’ll ask the dealer to at least resolve the (supposed) parking sensor issue and the tire pressure light.

14 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Welcome to the forum

Happy to be here!

Here are the links to the two cars. I also have many more photos that were sent to me directly by the dealer/owner.

2008: https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/lexus-sc-430-sc-430-4-3-auto-6m-benzina-nero-aaa5f0b1-96c4-4943-b58b-c335b6305b32?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=1&position=1&search_id=dub461d5vb&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

I got the price down to €20,800, and I’m 99% sure they’ll refuse to change the timing belt, water pump, and sensors at this price. Maybe they’ll address the parking sensor and tires (it might not be an issue with the sensor; it’s possible that the tires are simply not inflated enough), but that’s probably it.

Here’s the 2003: https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/lexus-sc-430-4-3-benzina-nero-a9345dc4-fba0-4622-bc8a-efe26e3c9ffe?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=6&position=6&search_id=dub461d5vb&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

I’m not afraid to travel around Europe to find the right one, but the language barrier and bureaucracy might be a bit challenging.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help!

I just found the 2008 car same link you posted up 👍🏻

looks a very nice car that’s had loads of money spent on it by the previous owners.

Grooved sports brake discs front and rear, rear wind deflector etc.

Love the wheels they look so right on the car …sadly that explains why the TPMS sensors are not fitted.

The seats do appear to have air bags fitted so that’s good from a safety point of view. Would have been nice if they matched the cars cream interior yet the detailing on the centre console armrest and door cards work well .

I like the car and the paintwork seems to be grey but could just be the lighting .

So of the jobs that need doing the priority would be the timing belt …the tyres sensors and parking sensors you could deal with at a later date.

Now a word of warning ….if they use salt on the roads in the winter in Italy you need to have a look under the car for corrosion, mainly around the back suspension/floor/ subframe area .

I’ve  recently replaced my rear parking sensors, the joy of them already being fitted as you can pull the new sensor wiring through the bumper holes using the old wiring and no need to take the bumper off.

Make sure you also get the original wheels, as they will have the TPMS sensors still fitted and you could get them changed over to the new wheels.

If you have got the price down to one you are happy with, get a price locally to get the timing belt replaced 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MemoryDealer said:

Thanks again to everyone!

I’d like to keep the car as long as possible, but since I’m still quite young, life can be uncertain and things can change, so I’ll definitely consider resale value in my decision. I appreciate this insight—I hadn’t really thought much about it until now. Also, I’ll ask the dealer to at least resolve the (supposed) parking sensor issue and the tire pressure light.

Happy to be here!

Here are the links to the two cars. I also have many more photos that were sent to me directly by the dealer/owner.

2008: https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/lexus-sc-430-sc-430-4-3-auto-6m-benzina-nero-aaa5f0b1-96c4-4943-b58b-c335b6305b32?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=1&position=1&search_id=dub461d5vb&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

I got the price down to €20,800, and I’m 99% sure they’ll refuse to change the timing belt, water pump, and sensors at this price. Maybe they’ll address the parking sensor and tires (it might not be an issue with the sensor; it’s possible that the tires are simply not inflated enough), but that’s probably it.

Here’s the 2003: https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/lexus-sc-430-4-3-benzina-nero-a9345dc4-fba0-4622-bc8a-efe26e3c9ffe?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=6&position=6&search_id=dub461d5vb&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

I’m not afraid to travel around Europe to find the right one, but the language barrier and bureaucracy might be a bit challenging.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help!

I will differ from Bob. If those seats and central console are the deep grey I think they are then someone has got some very good taste, because with cream/Ecru carpeting it's a really nice combination and it is not an obvious choice so again it indicates a certain sense of appreciating what can work and what cannot.. Personally, I think things like that carry a lot of weight ,because they indicate to me how far an owner might go to upgrade and maintain the car. Let me put it this way I would let you park it next to mine . ☺️

My Fratelli Rossetti loafers would look perfect in that car !

• Like 1

Last observation…having studied all the photo’s of the car , it also has front parking sensors fitted, these have to be turned on to use, the switch will be somewhere around the drivers knees, they are  dealer fitted so there will be an odd looking switch..if it’s been left turned on you will get a second sensor sound 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Make sure you also get the original wheels, as they will have the TPMS sensors still fitted and you could get them changed over to the new wheels.

Yes, they still have the original wheels, and they will include them with the car. I really appreciate the valuable and insightful advice; I’m now even more convinced about the 2008 car.

25 minutes ago, Bob King said:

get a price locally to get the timing belt replaced

It’s clear that I’m a newbie; I didn’t think about this either. 😆

9 minutes ago, Bob King said:

it also has front parking sensors fitted

Yes and they do work; they were beeping correctly during my test drive.

27 minutes ago, Bob King said:

if they use salt on the roads in the winter in Italy you need to have a look under the car for corrosion, mainly around the back suspension/floor/ subframe area .

This was also my concern. I asked the dealer if I could check under the car, but he told me the lift was broken. I’ll ask for some photos of the underside since the car was bought from Germany, and I’m quite sure they often use salt on the roads there.

22 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Let me put it this way I would let you park it next to mine

Agree both with the good taste comment and with this 😆

If possible lay down at the back of the car and look underneath, better to struggle and look now ..than to find it’s very corroded at a later date ☹️

Take it Italy has a yearly vehicle inspection like our UK MOT test ?

Would have been helpful now knowing the car came from Germany if you can get access to their vehicle inspection reports.

I’m asking the dealer if he could take some photos of the underside since the car is literally on the opposite side of Italy. The dealer had a ton of papers in German, which I believe are from their transportation authority. I think there was also an homologation paper for the new wheels, but I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn’t take photos of everything to translate it, as I only understand very basic German.

50 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Take it Italy has a yearly vehicle inspection like our UK MOT test ?

Sort of, but it’s every two years here. Also, the quality of the inspection can vary greatly depending on the shop. In this case, it will need to be done immediately after the car is registered since it was directly imported from Germany.

55 minutes ago, Bob King said:

vehicle inspection reports.

I actually saw many papers with "TÜV" written on them, which should be the mandatory inspection in Germany, but I can’t remember which years they covered. The service book looks very good—I’m attaching a couple of screenshots of it

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-13 at 14.55.20.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-13 at 14.55.19.jpeg

Just a thought ……. if these cars are arriving in Italy for sale from other L/h drive nations I wonder if it’s worth your while looking for these cars in say France / Belgium/ Netherlands etc  …….. choose which ones you wish to inspect further ……. one way cheapy flight , inspect and buy car and drive home 🤞

Malc 

• Like 1

Good morning everybody! A little update for you all. I was able to get 2 videos of the underside of the car that I'm attaching to this message. Let me know what you think, to me it looks in a good shape. Here are the 2 videos. 

Looks like it’s been recently steam cleaned maybe or has lived its life in a very dry environment ……. where is it ? 

Malc 

8 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Looks like it’s been recently steam cleaned maybe or has lived its life in a very dry environment ……. where is it ? 

Malc 

Car is currently located in north Italy. So, overall, do you think it looks good? 

The videos of the underside of that car look good ……. but is it really the car you’re considering buying 🤔

Were you actually there when the video was taken ……. 

Malc 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MemoryDealer said:

Car is currently located in north Italy. So, overall, do you think it looks good? 

I like everything except some of the exhaust tail pipes. Given it's age and locality my money is it's had some prior undersealing treatment, but you would be advised to update that to keep it in it's good condition.

See if I can't dig out my underside shots to give you some comparison.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

but is it really the car you’re considering buying

Yes it is, I can recognize the aftermarket wheels in some shots!

33 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

the exhaust tail pipes

Yeah, they do look a bit crunchy 😄. Not a big deal, though, since I’m planning to eventually modify the exhaust system anyway (I kind of want to highlight that sweet V8 sound!).

I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer and share their valuable advice—you were all very helpful and insightful. I really think I’m going to buy this car! I’ll be sure to update you all once it’s parked right outside my house. 👀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links