Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Corrosion underneath?

5 hours ago, S.H. said:

2017" Lexus IS300H F-Sport. Standard Lexus Iceland underbody coating. Total 42k km, 2000km since last rustproofing. Rustproofing Nr 3 (as by the book to hold the warranty here in Iceland).

DSC03260 cropp.JPG

DSC03263 cropp.JPG

DSC03268.JPG

65 crop.JPG

You know I bet you would like a working holiday swap to the UK ! You could use the time to keep your hand in on my Lex.

• Haha 1

Ive been looking up undersells. Would like to use Lanoguard because its clear, but, needs doing yearly (is this in fact the case?).

Dinitrol clear 1000 looks good, but says its for box sections, wondering if it will be ok on all areas?

38 minutes ago, Tom999 said:

Ive been looking up undersells. Would like to use Lanoguard because its clear, but, needs doing yearly (is this in fact the case?).

Dinitrol clear 1000 looks good, but says its for box sections, wondering if it will be ok on all areas?

Don't know about that product but consider Dynax-UC (UB is better but not clear):

https://bilthamber.com/product/dynax-uc/

1 hour ago, Tom999 said:

some of the aluminium parts have gone furry,

aluminium corrodes too  .........  white'ish and furry  .......  not brown rusty but nonetheless corrosion upstart maybe

Malc

On 8/12/2024 at 4:02 PM, Boomer54 said:

Malc,

You are referring to a different time. Steel these days is way better in general than it was 50 yrs ago, but more importantly the methods for protection against corrosion are far better researched and developed. Back then all people knew was hit it with a bit of 'bitumen' like material and hope for the best.

Frankly today it's much better. Starve the metal of oxygen through applying the right stuff with enough regularity and i think by the time Jesus does eventually rise from the grave he will have a fine array of cars from today to choose has his daily ride on Mars.

Took awhile ,but I found this again that I first read when I was investigating undersealing. Clearly written by someone with a good knowledge of car build historically.

Article on Vehicle Corrosion and Car Construction from our archive (before-n-after.co.uk)

Thx for the link, I did read it and my old age went down the memory lane, hahaha and one car sits in my mind (my only British one) Triumph GT MK3 1971" one cute rust bucket, but I could get all the body parts and if I remember the floor was in four pieces. I did own that one for 16 years.

• Like 1

I used to own an IS200 which I bought new in 2001 and owned for 15 years.  During that time the rear sills rusted and I had them plated, and then sprayed the box sections with Dynax - good stuff and it comes in big aerosols with a really long injector tube.  This rust was common on ISs probably because of a design defect.  There was surface rust on the suspension which I Waxoyled.

I have just checked, and it is still on the road, with 181k miles on the clock and a long list of MOT advisories.  Several of them are about surface corrosion on suspension parts.  Not bad for a 23 year old car!

• Like 1

Hmmm I think ive solved the mystery as to why the underside is excessively corroded. Looks like my car was a seaside car, the turrets collected the sand!! I'll have to take a look under all the covers in the engine bay. Still looking for a car lift..

• Like 1

Guess how long it took me to get the bonnet up 😅. No popping or clicking, nothing....Who'd have thought it releases in perfect silence 😂 

1 hour ago, Tom999 said:

Looks like my car was a seaside car, the turrets collected the sand!!

this could be of concern  ..  my Ls400  N  95  reg has forever been a seaside car  ( now at 250k miles ) and never seen sand anywhere on or in it .......... 

check your car hasn't been " underwater ", flood damaged  ever maybe 🤔

Malc

Not too concerned re flood damage.

I once parked an XC40 for the day facing the beach at Morecambe during high winds. My god that sand was everywhere, even down through the door window seals.....

1 hour ago, Tom999 said:

Morecambe

It's not the sand you have to be careful of, it's the Morecambe bay shrimps. They can be devastating.

• Haha 3

On 9/5/2024 at 2:04 PM, S.H. said:

Back then all people knew was hit it with a bit of 'bitumen' like material and hope for the best.

I had a 1976 Rover P6 v8 that was Ziebarted underneath. Over the years the metal had rusted away and the only thing holding it together was the thick black hard shiny tar that covered it.  I got rid of it when the rear ( de Dion ) axle parted company with the car. I thought it was just an icy road until the car steered itself into a hedge. I can't believe that some of these old Rovers are still kicking about.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom999 said:

Hmmm I think ive solved the mystery as to why the underside is excessively corroded. Looks like my car was a seaside car, the turrets collected the sand!! I'll have to take a look under all the covers in the engine bay. Still looking for a car lift..

I live by the sea here in Iceland 200meters to the face of the Atlantic and salty roads on wintertime. The thing usually is salt by the wind (stormy) goes on the paint/body but road salt underbody and sills. After all my 63 years and usually drive my cars to the Fred Flintston Style shape... then I am rinsing my cars with water just straight after a windy day or a trip to the capital + my Lexy is pearl white and if I do it (just with a garden hose) the small dirt does not stick to the waxing so it looks longer shiny and now I am fixing 3/4" hose to the yard for that purpose only and the 1/2" for the pressure washer and foam can, yes the naighbours give me a look but my beauty is always 98% clean. SMILE     My wife got this little Sony camera (old but good) and with that I do not have to put the car on the lift to see what is going down there under... look at my Lexus pictures all feet on the ground. You should tackle your rust seriously and enjoy the car longer + resale value is the bonus, good luck, Kind regards.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links