Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Corrosion underneath?

Morning all, I must be doing something wrong as nothing comes up on a search of corrosion / rust...

Anyway, had the rear end jacked up yesterday so I could un-plug the exhaust valves.

Was surprised to see a fair amount of rust on the steel parts. Diff housing, drive shafts, cross member in front of the rear steer rack and any bolts in sight.

Anyone noticed similar? My 2005 Mercedes van is cleaner 🥴

Would be really good to rent some time on a car lift and go over it all but tried that a couple of years ago and all the garages quoted insurance reasons when refusing....

• Like 1

Anything that's bare steel will show signs of corrosion, I had mine coated as much as possible with an inhibitor/barrier in the first few weeks of ownership.

Here's some pics of what it should look like new.

wTlIkcTnQ5Gc3V2UTF6i1Q.jpg

7DupNNkTQz2y0l4w_AwWMg.jpg

a7WpdNCESAONVjc5Ej3-3A.jpg

e81913hoTXKtMA5DttV2EQ.jpg

kSX5-uerS4as065hwkxNbQ.jpg

qgA6C_s9RVip5pPgTYQXWQ.jpg

• Like 4

I can't imagine there's any corrosion there at all ........  just rusty disclouration I'd have thought   ...........     discolouration ( rusty look-a-like ) on a 2018 car

Malc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

Anything that's bare steel will show signs of corrosion, I had mine coated as much as possible with an inhibitor/barrier in the first few weeks of ownership.

Here's some pics of what it should look like new.

wTlIkcTnQ5Gc3V2UTF6i1Q.jpg

7DupNNkTQz2y0l4w_AwWMg.jpg

a7WpdNCESAONVjc5Ej3-3A.jpg

e81913hoTXKtMA5DttV2EQ.jpg

kSX5-uerS4as065hwkxNbQ.jpg

qgA6C_s9RVip5pPgTYQXWQ.jpg

What he said.

Surface rust. Sort it now and it need never be anything more. Circa £600 could buy multi year treatment. Cavities the lot.

On a car like that it's surely small numbers.

• Like 2

My GS (2012) was really rusty underneath, main reason for selling it 2 years ago. Outside the car looked spotless but underneath it was a disaster, I was told this is Japanese thing and British winters. It is a shame to hear that a 2018 car has the same issues. and here I was this morning of thinking of getting an ES! Rust and potentially car theft just puts me off again and again.

2 minutes ago, wendle said:

surly anything metal will go rusty, my discs go rusty 30 mins after i have cleaned the car

Exactly, unless it's been left upto the axles in the sea it should be fine!

The only thing to bear in mind with the LC vs other cars is the various dissimilar materials and metals that are used in it's construction - in several places there is a sandwhich of steel/aluminium/CFRP etc.

• Like 1

The steel will rust sandwiched alongside the aluminium that will corrode ……. sounds like the aged Rover 2000 all over again and there’s very few of those left ! 

Malc 

18 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

The steel will rust sandwiched alongside the aluminium that will corrode ……. sounds like the aged Rover 2000 all over again and there’s very few of those left ! 

Malc 

Malc,

You are referring to a different time. Steel these days is way better in general than it was 50 yrs ago, but more importantly the methods for protection against corrosion are far better researched and developed. Back then all people knew was hit it with a bit of 'bitumen' like material and hope for the best.

Frankly today it's much better. Starve the metal of oxygen through applying the right stuff with enough regularity and i think by the time Jesus does eventually rise from the grave he will have a fine array of cars from today to choose has his daily ride on Mars.

Took awhile ,but I found this again that I first read when I was investigating undersealing. Clearly written by someone with a good knowledge of car build historically.

Article on Vehicle Corrosion and Car Construction from our archive (before-n-after.co.uk)

• Like 2

Wow that’s a really interesting insight into corrosion prevention thru the ages of cars ……. and a cheapy modern steed might have such great longevity of about some. 6. years ……. that’s a revelation for sure 🤫

So then Tom 999 ……. your 2018 Lexus might well be heading for the scrapper sometime soon 🤣😂

But it’s a Lexus and 6 years just might be a tad premature ……. hopes 😳

Rust colour discolouration is all you have Tom I’m sure 👍🤞🤞

Malc 

Haha Chris....it's not the same as a disc with a micron of rust.    (My rust is CRUSTY)

Folks I posted because it's unusually rusty, I'll have to crawl under and take a pic or two.

Best, most likely response is it's a Japanese motor and they have different standards to other countries. Maybe it was a seaside car?

While I'm down there I'll show you what fell off...🤣....Part of the plastic flange holding the exhaust valves to the exhaust. Both cracked where the 8mm bolts go thru'.

Brace yourself Rodney.........

46 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Wow that’s a really interesting insight into corrosion prevention thru the ages of cars ……. and a cheapy modern steed might have such great longevity of about some. 6. years ……. that’s a revelation for sure 🤫

So then Tom 999 ……. your 2018 Lexus might well be heading for the scrapper sometime soon 🤣😂

But it’s a Lexus and 6 years just might be a tad premature ……. hopes 😳

Rust colour discolouration is all you have Tom I’m sure 👍🤞🤞

Malc 

Re read how that "6 years" was put into context as it was written in 1999 !!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom999 said:

Haha Chris....it's not the same as a disc with a micron of rust.    (My rust is CRUSTY)

Folks I posted because it's unusually rusty, I'll have to crawl under and take a pic or two.

Best, most likely response is it's a Japanese motor and they have different standards to other countries. Maybe it was a seaside car?

While I'm down there I'll show you what fell off...🤣....Part of the plastic flange holding the exhaust valves to the exhaust. Both cracked where the 8mm bolts go thru'.

Brace yourself Rodney.........

Best of luck Trigger sounds like you might need it.

I was just thinking about my first 1000 miles and glad I didn’t go with my riskier choice of a McLaren 650S. Now I learn these rust underneath, suppose it’s better than bodywork like McLaren’s. 

Ok...There's the rusty bolt and the piece of valve flange it went through. Both flanges are cracked where the bolt goes through...

Obviously not been garaged and kept for high days and holidays.

I suspect the first owner had it and used it as intended, hence the rust covering here and there etc.

Nothing there that can't be sorted with a wire brush and some waxoly.

• Like 2

No idea where the previous owner lived, ive only had the car a couple of weeks. 

I really need to rent a car lift somewhere for a day and treat the underside...

Agree - ask Lexus to look at it. If it was approved used they will need to tell you it’s okay and normal. 

I’d want to rule out flood damage as that does look like a lot of rust. I’ll try to crawl under my car and share photos too (2020 plate).

• Like 1

IMG_5491.thumb.jpg.ff810bd8289c3ff2dedda8f8fbb9e762.jpg

IMG_5492.thumb.jpg.a82424be7edae2d2f7bca79b8e07b9b4.jpg

That's mine for reference, '21 plate on 8,500 miles, ex-press car and used over last winter by me.

I think some ACF-50 may be in order on those bolts etc - I covered my old Landcruiser in it, well worth doing.

• Like 2

Mine looks very similar to eightk. I may also request some anti corrosion measures. Do we know if Lexus provide this as a service or better to use independents?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links