Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all

Long term GS owned here looking for their next toy 😀 

Gonna sell my GS and missus Juke and treat ourselves to something big, comfy but practical too. Lexus NX, Mazda CX5, Toyota RAV4 is showing potential. The RX is obviously the next step up size and class wise. Have around 25k-28k to spend so should be able to get a serious runner with that. 

Presume they are just like any other Lexus, ie very well built, comfy and reliable. Probably a bit heavier on fuel but likely similar to my 2.5 NA v6 GS.

Is probably more of a heart over head decision (plus need to get agreement from the flying Scotswoman) but then again...it's a Lexus so shouldn't ruin you like an X5 or Q7 could!

Anything to look out for or just usual bits?

Cheers 

16 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Hi all

Gonna sell my GS and missus Juke and treat ourselves to something big, comfy but practical too. Lexus NX, Mazda CX5, Toyota RAV4 is showing potential. The RX is obviously the next step up size and class wise. Have around 25k-28k to spend so should be able to get a serious runner with that. 

Presume they are just like any other Lexus, ie very well built, comfy and reliable. Probably a bit heavier on fuel but likely similar to my 2.5 NA v6 GS.

Is probably more of a heart over head decision (plus need to get agreement from the flying Scotswoman) but then again...it's a Lexus so shouldn't ruin you like an X5 or Q7 could!

Cheers 

Generation 4 RX vehicles are easily stolen and insurance is very high. Same with gen 1 NX.

You will find many posts about it on this forum.  You should get some insurance quotes first... And beware of the theft risk.

Paul

• Like 1

When I bought our first Saab about 40 years ago the salesman told me I wouldn't ever want any other car.  He was right for a while and we had four more over the next 20+ years.  I moved to a big 4x4 Toyota next as I needed more carrying capacity for wine than my elderly 900T could manage without bottoming the rear springs and then to RX350 which I still have after 14 years.  Can't think of any reason to move away from a Lexus to replace it but will wait until the theft free generation gets affordable in about 5 years time or I get bullied too much by HMG to hang on to the 350.  Best car I have ever had and nothing needed to mend since we had it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PDM said:

Generation 4 RX vehicles are easily stolen and insurance is very high. Same with gen 1 NX.

You will find many posts about it on this forum.  You should get some insurance quotes first... And beware of the theft risk.

Paul

Probably need to update my profile. I currently live on the Isle of Skye and will be here for a good few years at least. May help with the premium. Only one way to find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, superatticman said:

Hi all

Cheers 

IMO

Just but a good well maintained series 3 RX (2015) that does not have those security issues  

To avoid the Canbus theft issue you could also consider the Gen 3 RX, a really good late model example will be well under your budget even from a main dealer. I've just taken mine to France with 5 of us on board and luggage and it acquitted itself very well. Did around 30mpg when in France on unfamiliar roads but using it locally on familiar routes I get more like 36-37mpg.

I'd advise you look at  the highest spec, lowest miles RX3 which you should easily afford well under your budget.  No canbus issues and despite claims at the time the RX4 came out (from new owners), there's precious little difference in performance either (I've owned both).  Personally, I'd recommend the highest spec F Sport you can get and just change the oil regularly and it ought to last years.

Things to watch for with RX3 (and 4) models are trailing arm bush wear (I had two replaced within 40K miles), auxiliary Battery health (best kept on trickle charge of left unused for a few weeks, or a week of cold weather), rear power door failures (caused mainly where roof rails are fitted due to water migration to the separate power pack PCB for the door) but other than that, precious little else goes wrong.  Make sure you inspect the underside, especially rear subframe, which is prone to rust unless treated (Lanoguard is recopmmended).

Biggest advantage with the RX3 is security (no canbus issues) and it is imho built like a tank and more utilitarian than the RX4.

Drawbacks are that it doesn't get the same fuel economy.  I averaged 28mpg long term in my RX3 with a best trip recorded at 37mpg.  RX4 so far over a few thousand miles has averaged close to 34mpg with a best (day trip) of 43mpg.

RX4 has considerably better ride quality due to suspension improvements but is still susceptible to premature trailing arm bush wear.

Avoid top premium spec RX3 using pneumatic suspension as if (when) that goes wrong, it'll cost you a fortune.  Non f-sport rolls quite a bit and I found all the standard RX3's a little under damped and they had notable body roll in corners.  RX3 F-Sport handles much better but at the expense of a slightly firmer ride, but it's still good.

RX4 with active suspension (electric) is much better.  Smoother, quieter, better handling.

RX3 load spec is slightly better (despite the published specs) due to the RX4 having a much shallower rear door rake angle for improved aerodynamics and it has better all round visibility.

RX4 has more updated ICE, a larger LED screen and mouse controls were replaced by the track pad, which journo's hate but just like the mouse control, it's actually perfectly fine when you get used to it.

Neither are dynamic drivers cars but the FSport versions of both come close.  It's surprising how fast you can hustle them in the corners.  RX3 is a few inches narrower and shorter.  The "4" feels significantly larger but that's perception down to the reduced visibility front and back due to the shallow rake angle of windscreens and smaller vertical height of front windscreen but they are big wide cars.  "4" also in higher spec comes with all round cameras and all the bells and whistles including air con front seats as well as heated steering wheel, front and back seats, and electricaly reclining rear seats.

"4" is more comfortable, quieter and smoother overall, with better rear passenger space.  Mid range acceleration is slightly better, especially on cars spec'd with "S+" option which gives more instant power delivery.  "4" also has slightly upspec'd electric motors and more powerful low down torque as a result of that and better Battery spec.

My choice of the "4" would be the F sport Takumi with all the bells and whistles.  For the "3" it would have to be the F-Sport with options ticked including full LED lights (brilliant), Mark Levinson stereo, more supportive seats than standard, HUD and other extras.

Expect to pay £18 to £22K for a high spec 2015 RX3 F-Sport with low miles (sub 45K) if you can find one.

There are a few years to avoid for the "4" due to a few problems they had.  I believe 2019-2021 models were the problem ones.  Fuel pump issues, a few oil leaks reported, recalls for the low pressure fuel pumps and some electrical faults.  2021 was the facelift year where most of the reported faults were ironed out but they continue to have some software issues, specifically connected with the ICE (trip meters, Lexus connected app not working, some issues following firmware updates) but mechanically all 2021-2022 RX4s are mechanically sound.  They switched part way through production (2021) to port and direct injection to meet more stringent EU emissions targets and this allowed some higher fuel economy too. 2009-2015 are widely reported to be the most reliable models.

A good 2021/2022 spec RX4 will cost you between £35-£42K currently, whereas as hgih spec RX3 FSport would be around half that.

For best comfort and toys, the Takumi spec 2021/2022 is the one to go for (you also get adaptive suspension).

Pays your money and makes your choice.  They're great cars.  I came to my RX3 after a few years ownership of a GS300 V6 which I love4d but it had far too many electrical glitches and suffered with bad corrosion, premature suspension failure and other issues.  The RX3 by comparison wasn't as comfortable or dynamic but was more powerful and more reliable by a long way.

Main takeaways are buy the best and latest example you can get your hands on and if considering anything 2016-2020, ensure recall work has been done.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, superatticman said:

Hi all

Cheers 

Just 1 Major Thing To Look Out For.. " The WIFE "

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links