Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Squeaking from AC compressor after usage

Hello

Since I got my 2015 IS300h, I have this squeaking, starting a couple of seconds after heavy AC usage, and stopping after a couple of minutes.
It seems to come from the compressor (or maybe a surrounding hose ?), and seems almost like a rotating noise, or something missing lubricant.
During the AC operation, absolutely no noise of this kind.

The AC is working very fine, but not trace of refill.

Here is a video (of course, ignore the brake vacuum and other actuators)

That seems to be like a mechanical spinning sound that needs abit of lubrication.

Really difficult to diagnose a sound from a video.

Start with checking the coolant is at the correct level for the inverter pump & engine. Both of the reservoirs where there is pink coolant to see if it quietens down.

As for ruling out if its related to thr AC system  does it still do it with the AC turned off? 

Hi

100% related to AC operation, never happens if AC is not used.
Coolants are level, amazingly (coming from other brands) they didn't move a bit in 30k kms.

Consider getting the AC refrigerant level checked it may be running fine but low potentially running dry which could cause further damage.

If it has been serviced by Lexus within the last 12 months it may qualify a repair under warranty as its not over 10 year old yet.

The AC compressor increases the load on the drive belt and increases strain on the idler and tensioner pulleys.

Obviously check the condition of the belt and try removing the belt and spinning the idler and tensioner by hand listening for any roughness.

I had a very similar noise occur with my old LS400 which squeaked when cold at start up, that was the idler pulley bearing.

Could also be the compressor bearings, again spin it with the belt off or the electromagnetic clutch.

Get yourself an automotive stethoscope the long probe allows you to pin point the source of the noise more accurately without the risk of losing a finger!

2 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Consider getting the AC refrigerant level checked it may be running fine but low potentially running dry which could cause further damage.

If it has been serviced by Lexus within the last 12 months it may qualify a repair under warranty as its not over 10 year old yet.

Good point 😀

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The AC compressor increases the load on the drive belt and increases strain on the idler and tensioner pulleys.

IS300h has an electric compressor - no belts, no pulleys or tensioners. 

13 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

IS300h has an electric compressor - no belts, no pulleys or tensioners. 

Oops, Must have looked up the wrong model on Toyodiy, sorry for the useless duff info.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Thanks all

Is there a way to check (with TS ?) the refrigerant level ? or does it need to be vacuumed to check for missing refrigerant ?

Is there a sight view with bubble check somewhere, so far cannot read anything on it.

Edited by Modano
clicked too fast :D

Do you know if this was ever re-gassed before? Asking as a lot of local centres will fill it back up with the wrong compressor oil. Given its an electric compressor it needs a special non conductive oil.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Do you know if this was ever re-gassed before? Asking as a lot of local centres will fill it back up with the wrong compressor oil. Given its an electric compressor it needs a special non conductive oil.

100% Echo this be careful as my local Kwik fit looked confused when I asked do they have the correct type. The worker had to ask his manager, I walked away & went to the dealer they did it for £89. Will try & offer you an additional anti-bacterial treatment which is optional for £50 worth getting if it smells when you first turn on the AC. 

& I dont think there is a way to check the level without the equipment.  May be a diagnostic error code but you need a good ODB2 tool for that usually techstream or snap on etc 

Re AC sanitiser, if you do have a musty smell you can buy a DIY can which after starting the AC and opening all the vents you set off inside the car. I usually put mine on top of the rear transmission tunnel facing forward between the front seats.

Assuming it has one also replace the AC pollen filter if not already done.

Re the refrigerant they normally pump it all out then weigh it to establish how much was in.

I never turn off the AC in my 2 LS models, the AC in my previous 94 model never failed or needed attention even after 30 years.

• Like 1

The squeak is more than likely to be the fan on the ac condenser, as I noticed this on mine yesterday, as currently sorting out a problem with my new pressure sensor. You could try spraying some wd40 on it, but I suspect you would need to remove the fan to properly get in there with it... 

On 8/14/2024 at 7:38 AM, Inazone said:

The squeak is more than likely to be the fan on the ac condenser, as I noticed this on mine yesterday, as currently sorting out a problem with my new pressure sensor. You could try spraying some wd40 on it, but I suspect you would need to remove the fan to properly get in there with it... 

Hello

There is no spinning fan at that moment (and I guess I would have heard it while the AC is operating, thus with fan spinning right ?)

4 hours ago, Modano said:

Hello

There is no spinning fan at that moment (and I guess I would have heard it while the AC is operating, thus with fan spinning right ?)

When the AC is on the fan normally cuts in and out as needed - over a few minutes it should do this a number of times. If the fan isn't coming on at all with the AC on and and the temp set well below ambient and blowing chilled air into the cabin then there is something amiss. 

Oh, sorry, I was maybe not accurate enough.
The fan is definitely spinning when AC is on, and immediately stops when AC if off (or car powered off), so the fan is not spinning at all when this noise occurs.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Modano said:

Oh, sorry, I was maybe not accurate enough.
The fan is definitely spinning when AC is on, and immediately stops when AC if off (or car powered off), so the fan is not spinning at all when this noise occurs.

It doesn't sound like there is much left to be making the noise other then the compressor itself. With these being electric rather than belt driven I'm not sure what moving parts there are on them that could be making the noise (unlike a traditional compressor with belt, bearing, clutch etc.) and so it may unfortunately mean a visit to the dealer or an AC place that knows about hybrids. As others said above if the car was serviced by Lexus within the last 12 months / 10K miles (whichever comes first) then the compressor may be covered by the service activated extended warranty (Relax warranty) and so a visit to the dealer may then be the most expedient way to get it sorted.

• Like 1

I'm going to Lexus for the Year 10 / 150k kms next month. I'll ask them of course and check whether the warranty may apply.

Will keep you posted here 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modano said:

I'm going to Lexus for the Year 10 / 150k kms next month. I'll ask them of course and check whether the warranty may apply.

Will keep you posted here 🙂

Such updates on problems are really useful as our cars start to get older. My IS 300h is coming up to 10 years old and has done 150k miles. I've had the Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty on it since 100k miles and recently had a rear caliper changed under this warranty. However, I have reached the mileage limit for that warranty now and so from here on out anything further will be at my own expense. I will keep the hybrid Battery warranty going though as that can be maintained for 15 years with unlimited mileage with the hybrid healthcheck every 12 months / 10k miles.

In France, the hybrid Battery warranty is 10 years (even with the Lexus Relax Warranty).

I checked when I bought the car with Hybrid Assistant, it had a remaining capacity of 82% at the moment I bought it. I'm very careful of temperatures (filter cleaning, very rarely exceeds 40°C now, I'm using Hybrid Assistant to force full fan in Summer, as I'm living in the south of France). I need to check that now. I also have an extra warranty if the Battery goes below 66% of capacity (don't know how Lexus would measure it as I doubt they are using HA, and I'm not sure the Hybrid Diag gives any clue of remaining capacity).

18 minutes ago, Modano said:

In France, the hybrid battery warranty is 10 years (even with the Lexus Relax Warranty).

I checked when I bought the car with Hybrid Assistant, it had a remaining capacity of 82% at the moment I bought it. I'm very careful of temperatures (filter cleaning, very rarely exceeds 40°C now, I'm using Hybrid Assistant to force full fan in Summer, as I'm living in the south of France). I need to check that now. I also have an extra warranty if the battery goes below 66% of capacity (don't know how Lexus would measure it as I doubt they are using HA, and I'm not sure the Hybrid Diag gives any clue of remaining capacity).

Depends how the HA measures hybrid Battery capacity as Lexus don't charge the Battery beyond 80% (or discharge below 20%) to maximise Battery life. The hybrid health check is the only way that Lexus would be able to say that the hybrid Battery requires replacement.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links