Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My 250h - First Impressions

Well, it’s been less than a week since I picked her up.  First impressions - well built, smooth (not all of the time….more on that in a mo) and a very comfy place to be👍

I mentioned to the salesman on the test drive that I thought I felt juddering but dismissed it as it may have been the road.  Had a longish drive in it today, and definitely feel juddering - from side to side I think….not all the time but on acceleration just into the ‘power’  band, and going up slight hills.  I feel this through the seat, not the steering wheel.  Any thoughts?

Also noticed earlier  a broken door mirror on drivers side….towards the underneath where its black, not blue, Have not been in a position during the past few days where it could have got broken in such a way.  

Have brought both issues up with the dealer, so will be interesting what they say🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

Well, it’s been less than a week since I picked her up.  First impressions - well built, smooth (not all of the time….more on that in a mo) and a very comfy place to be👍

I mentioned to the salesman on the test drive that I thought I felt juddering but dismissed it as it may have been the road.  Had a longish drive in it today, and definitely feel juddering - from side to side I think….not all the time but on acceleration just into the ‘power’  band, and going up slight hills.  I feel this through the seat, not the steering wheel.  Any thoughts?

Also noticed earlier  a broken door mirror on drivers side….towards the underneath where its black, not blue, Have not been in a position during the past few days where it could have got broken in such a way.  

Have brought both issues up with the dealer, so will be interesting what they say🤔

You need to make sure you are happy with what the dealer has to say, or if not, you will need to reject the car straight away. As for the mirror that will be down to you, I feel as dealers don't get involved in cracks of glass once the car has been sold and left the forecourt.

• Like 2

First thing I did was turn off Lane Assist as that gave me a wobbly feeling. More steering than seat though. Is the seat loose perhaps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lmafudd said:

First thing I did was turn off Lane Assist as that gave me a wobbly feeling. More steering than seat though. Is the seat loose perhaps?

No, seat definitely not loose Charles.  From more research I've done, this problem appears not totally uncommon with the UX.  My one has only done 20K miles.  Due out in her again tomorrow so will check out the lane assist.  The judder, as I say, is weird and I feel it through the seat and therefore upper legs/thighs.  Don't get it all the time - I wonder if it's something to do with the CVT and the revs catching up with where the pedal is?

2 hours ago, fourbanks said:

You need to make sure you are happy with what the dealer has to say, or if not, you will need to reject the car straight away. As for the mirror that will be down to you, I feel as dealers don't get involved in cracks of glass once the car has been sold and left the forecourt.

Dealer has acknowledged my message, with the sales manager getting back to me next week.  I get what you say about the mirror - it's not the glass that's broken but the outer/lower casing - just smashed a bit, like something thin and hard has been jabbed into it. Only had it 5 days and not parked it up anywhere or hit anything that would lead to that kind of damage....if you don't ask you don't get, but not too enamoured with the possibility of paying out circa £500 to get it sorted☹️

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

No, seat definitely not loose Charles.  From more research I've done, this problem appears not totally uncommon with the UX.  My one has only done 20K miles.  Due out in her again tomorrow so will check out the lane assist.  The judder, as I say, is weird and I feel it through the seat and therefore upper legs/thighs.  Don't get it all the time - I wonder if it's something to do with the CVT and the revs catching up with where the pedal is?

Just be very gentle when accelerating. They're not sports cars and the CVT can sound awful when pushed. At higher speeds they're extremely smooth but getting there needs to be achieved gently. Your mpg will thank you too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

Just be very gentle when accelerating. They're not sports cars and the CVT can sound awful when pushed. At higher speeds they're extremely smooth but getting there needs to be achieved gently. Your mpg will thank you too.

Yes, fully aware of all that Charles.  I know she's not a sports car, and I don't treat her as such😉 I don't push her too hard, as that defeats the object.  I just want waftability and good mpg.  Haven't reset the overall mpg odometer yet, but already have it at 50.2, up 0.6 in 5 days😉

1 hour ago, Pauly C said:

Dealer has acknowledged my message, with the sales manager getting back to me next week.  I get what you say about the mirror - it's not the glass that's broken but the outer/lower casing - just smashed a bit, like something thin and hard has been jabbed into it. Only had it 5 days and not parked it up anywhere or hit anything that would lead to that kind of damage....if you don't ask you don't get, but not too enamoured with the possibility of paying out circa £500 to get it sorted☹️

Yes, the wing mirrors are not cheap. Hopefully fingers crossed the dealer will replace as a good will gesture 

• Like 1

The 250 in sports mode is incredible, and I don't find in noisy. It's sounds more like an aircraft engine like the airbus 330 and before you know it you've hit 70 😲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The 250 in sports mode is incredible, and I don't find in noisy. It's sounds more like an aircraft engine like the airbus 330 and before you know it you've hit 70 😲

True.  Tried her in sports mode, just the once so far, the other day.  She fairly shifted and was pleasantly surprised to say the least👍

Hi. From what you describe, I am thinking it could be a wheel balance issue.  This can seem intermittant  because it can appear only at certain speeds then disappear. Check all 4 wheel balance, that the rims have no slight mal-formation. Also, check that all the lugs are tight. This happened to me once before, I felt vibration in the car at certain speeds and the mechanic had not tightened the lugs on one of my wheels (!!). Crazy but true.  Good luck.   

• Like 3

Hi, could it be the vibration warning that you are travelling over the road lines? this can be set to a beep sound or vibration.

• Like 2

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Still not heard from the dealer....yet.  Don't think I'm about to reject the car, but I think I will ask for a 'health' check, to confirm/deny everything is as it should be.  If said health check reveals anything untoward I will report back here😉

Was it a Lexus dealer or an independent etc?

I would like to think you would have had a response by now...

3 hours ago, Pauly C said:

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Still not heard from the dealer....yet.  Don't think I'm about to reject the car, but I think I will ask for a 'health' check, to confirm/deny everything is as it should be.  If said health check reveals anything untoward I will report back here😉

definitely remind them to assure wheel balance is checked and adjusted if needed. Sometimes you have to get this done at a speciality tyre shop, but see what they can do for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 10:42 AM, saz318 said:

Hi. From what you describe, I am thinking it could be a wheel balance issue.  This can seem intermittant  because it can appear only at certain speeds then disappear. Check all 4 wheel balance, that the rims have no slight mal-formation. Also, check that all the lugs are tight. This happened to me once before, I felt vibration in the car at certain speeds and the mechanic had not tightened the lugs on one of my wheels (!!). Crazy but true.  Good luck.   

Lug nuts? are you from our former colony? 😀😀

LMM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, LMM said:

LMM

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that one😄 After a round trip of over 5 hours yesterday, to drop the car off at the main dealer to get looked at, and which all proved to be a total waste of time (long story) the dealer general manager will be coming into work on Tuesday morning to a detailed complaint from yours truly.  I like the car, it needs to be checked over, but my experiences so far with this particular main Lexus dealer is bordering on shocking😡

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LMM said:

LMM

Haha...that is funny. Born in the colonies, but living in Greece for 25 years. 

So.... What is the proper term?

47 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that one😄 After a round trip of over 5 hours yesterday, to drop the car off at the main dealer to get looked at, and which all proved to be a total waste of time (long story) the dealer general manager will be coming into work on Tuesday morning to a detailed complaint from yours truly.  I like the car, it needs to be checked over, but my experiences so far with this particular main Lexus dealer is bordering on shocking😡

I have an analogous experience in Greece in that the dealer tends to address Lexus owners the same as Toyota owners. No knocking Toyota owners as they deserve respect also, but I do expect a different treatment for a luxury premium brand company such as Lexus. I have friends with BMWs and they seem to have a whole different level of service and attention. 

You might consider to make a formal diplomatic letter of complaint to Lexus corporate (Japan)  informing of sub standard service at the specific dealer, if you feel it is bad enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saz318 said:

I have an analogous experience in Greece in that the dealer tends to address Lexus owners the same as Toyota owners. No knocking Toyota owners as they deserve respect also, but I do expect a different treatment for a luxury premium brand company such as Lexus. I have friends with BMWs and they seem to have a whole different level of service and attention. 

You might consider to make a formal diplomatic letter of complaint to Lexus corporate (Japan)  informing of sub standard service at the specific dealer, if you feel it is bad enough. 

I will see how it goes with the dealer for now…but yes, I haven’t discounted taking it upwards, if I feel I need to🙂 

On 8/10/2024 at 7:28 PM, fourbanks said:

Yes, the wing mirrors are not cheap. Hopefully fingers crossed the dealer will replace as a good will gesture 

Good job I kept the video of my car the dealer sent me before I took it for a test drive😉 It clearly shows the wing mirror was busted before I bought it…..that’ll save me over £520😉😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pauly C said:

Good job I kept the video of my car the dealer sent me before I took it for a test drive😉 It clearly shows the wing mirror was busted before I bought it…..that’ll save me over £520😉😉

You need my wife to look over a new purchase, she spots paint chips the size of a fly's eye! I get away with zilch by-the-way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2024 at 6:32 PM, saz318 said:

Haha...that is funny. Born in the colonies, but living in Greece for 25 years. 

So.... What is the proper term?

We usually say wheel nuts - even if they are bolts 👍

hahaha.. . well , ok.  They are wheel nuts. Makes sense. Not sure what a "lug" is anyway... In my language the bolt is the part with the threads. 🙂

On 8/25/2024 at 5:46 PM, Pauly C said:

I tend to reserve the word shocking for a nut case running around with a machete and even that isn’t too far off normal these days but I do agree that it is disappointing and it would only take a change of attitude and some empathy from the dealer to keep you happy until they come to a conclusion but not necessarily a solution.  The reason I say this is because you’ve got my attention with this Paul.   I’ve had two UX’s in quick succession from new and they both make a vibrating/droning noise on occasions that comes in and out particularly when pulling up hills at higher speeds.  I wouldn’t personally describe it as a judder but a harmonic vibration.  I run my cars on all season tyres from day one and I’d put it down to the slightly “blocky” tread of the tyres causing some resonation under load but I’m wondering now if it is the same as yours.  This new 300h does it less than the previous 250h but it still does it so it might be a “normal” thing although not what we’d expect from a Lexus for sure.  The problem I’ve got in reporting this is that I’d need to refit the standard wheels and check it again and even then it might not be easy to replicate because it doesn’t always do it.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links