Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I am thinking of getting a GS F sport,  I have read elsewhere that it has rear steer, seen a one that has got rear steer fault,  the cost to sort could be 10k.. is this right ?? to fix a electrical issue 10k, 

Anyway give me your thoughts and views on the GS F sport, I know there is the 250 and 350. 

20 hours ago, In_a_state said:

Rear steer is a very rare option, just decode the VIN to see if the car you're interested in has it but it's a slim chance. 

Not very rare, all series IV GS 450h F Sport vehicles in the UK have rear wheel steer. 

And they'll all have the same fault in the not-too-distant future. They are not economic to repair - you'd need real dedication to fix one.

A sad blight on Lexus reliability/longevity reputation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 5:46 AM, ColinBarber said:

What age/year is this vehicle?

its sold now, sorry for the late reply was working,  

it was cheap tho, 6k i think it was but the failed rear steer put me off after reading how expensive it was to fix ..  was a 2013 model 

On 8/9/2024 at 8:29 AM, MaximusPrime said:

yeah it was that one, I read somewhere it was a expensive repair. put me off...   

Just for reference a member on here fixed his by sourcing the faulty part from abroad and replacing it themselves so as mentioned above if you have the dedication and skills it can be done cheaper:

If the findings above are anything to go by there is a good chance of this fault developing as these cars age (given the climate here in the UK)

12 hours ago, lexus.gs.uk said:

How would you know if the rear steering fails i have a gs450h f sport ..

Does warning light show up?

When it fails is it still driveable

Yes you will get a warning light. Still drivable but an MOT failure.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 11:48 AM, ColinBarber said:

Yes you will get a warning light. Still drivable but an MOT failure.

My MOT Tester told me that it would not necessarily fail. Google AI seems to agree:

During a UK MOT test, a car with rear wheel steering will be checked for the following:
  • Operation
    If the rear wheel steering is inoperative, the rear wheels should be pointing straight ahead.
  • Unsafe modifications
    Welded repairs, excessive heat on stressed components, and other modifications that could affect the vehicle's roadworthiness are considered unsafe. 

This made me feel a lot better 🙂

Most warning lights on your dashboard will result in an MOT fail. Even if its a TPMS light let alone a warning indicating steering malfunction. While in theory you are right that its a fail only if the wheels arent pointing straight. I am not sure if this is one of those up to the tester type of situations. In either case sounds like the 450h f sport version is best avoided

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links