Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Maybe time to move on....views on 'sensible' Mazda CX-5

Nearly 6 years of hassle free Lexus ownership here. To say this car has been a diamond is an understatement. No real reason to sell it.

However!

Now living with my missus in Skye. Really need something a little more 'high up' and with the utility of collapsible rear seats etc. May be getting a doggie in the future so that will have to be considered too. Naturally I looked towards a Lexus NX but you certainly pay for hybrid technology. Up here diesel makes complete sense. Absolutely not interested in the German marques. Too many reliability issues and once 'Lexused' and 'Hondarised', German car ownership is only going to come as a shock again (been there before).

Honda stopped doing a diesel in the CRV a good few years ago so one of those probably out of the question. Both of us quite like the CX-5 though. Comes with Japanese electrical reliability and the petrol engines are certainly very tried and tested. The 180bhp diesel of which I am interested in does have a slightly less favourable reputation but is still likely to be less trouble than the German brands. There is a 2.5L petrol although its pretty rare. Interior quality is pretty good too of which is something I'm always keen on. 

Anyone have any experience with this model? Is a strong contender at present. 

I'd consider a slightly older diesel Honda - the 1.6DTEC engine is excellent, as is the car, though I think the engine was discontinued in 2018.  

We considered the Mazda on the basis that there are plenty of CX5s on the road so it must be popular for a reason. We plumped for an older NX in the end, but the Mazda is certainly a handsome car and a bit bigger than the NX (with better fuel consumption because it would be difficult for it to be worse). 

Though a lot more expensive, the new CRV hybrid is a very good looking car close up.   

No experience with the CX5,but I bought a new CX7 back in about 2012 and kept it for about 10 years.It was a 2.2 TD and reliable all the way through.Very comfortable,well equipped and built.

I had driven some CX5s over the years...found the early versions a bit rolly Polly,but later ones handled well..for a mid sized SUV.They are well equipped, comfortable and I was close to buying one,but found the RC.The dealer network,that I had direct experience of, were excellent and rectified the odd minor niggle without question.

The Mazda Estates i see around always look very smart and inviting ....  always in orange or blue  ........  but there's not that many ............ My personal experience of Mazda was a wonderful 1994 M reg 323f ,,,,,,,,  wot an amazing car .......... reached 150k 8 years back  before it floor rust expired .......  cost hardly a penny in untoward maintenance too  👍👋

I wouldn't hesitate to have a Mazda Estate if i wanted an estate for everyday use  ..... ..  SUVs just not for me

Good luck with your decision making

Malc

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:02 AM, Dippo said:

I believe there's a problem with Mazda CX 5 diesels and oil contamination. I know my brother had one, and had this problem. It might be worth a google.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/174938/mazda-cx-5---mazda

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Having done some research this is the potentially major issue with this engine. Does appear that it affects the diesel models pre 2016 more than those after but can still be an issue with the later ones. Appears to be related to the DPF and EGR valve design. The more cold and short journey driving you do the higher the potential for this to happen. There are a number of early warning signs including 'oil level too high' of which if ignored can result in catastrophic failure. Oil changes every 6k can also ensure the oil does not become contaminated. All sounds a bit Rover SD1 straight six to me(!). However if maintained, the 180bhp diesel is far better suited to this car as the 2L petrol. 

1 hour ago, superatticman said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Having done some research this is the potentially major issue with this engine. Does appear that it affects the diesel models pre 2016 more than those after but can still be an issue with the later ones. Appears to be related to the DPF and EGR valve design. The more cold and short journey driving you do the higher the potential for this to happen. There are a number of early warning signs including 'oil level too high' of which if ignored can result in catastrophic failure. Oil changes every 6k can also ensure the oil does not become contaminated. All sounds a bit Rover SD1 straight six to me(!). However if maintained, the 180bhp diesel is far better suited to this car as the 2L petrol. 

Well having been a Volvo XC60 owner for nearly three years I feel inclined to suggest one. Sadly the later ones don't have the tried and tested D5 engine but generally owners seem very happy.

• Like 1

My partner drives an MX5 so I am use to Mazda. However over the best few weeks looking for a replacement car I took the opportunity to drive two Mazda CX5. The first was the 2.5lt petrol engined car. On the test drive, I found the Cd gearbox all over the place, it had a total mind of its own. The driver seat was just too short for me ( I am 5, 10 ), making it just not a nice place to be at all. This was a 2023 car with around 7000 miles. The second CX5 was a 2lt petrol also. In this the CD gearbox was a bit better, but again the seats let it down. On looking at the advantage MPG that was not good news, low 30, s on the 2lt. High 20, s on the 2.5lt.
You need to drive one a few miles to truly get the feel. But not for me.

3 hours ago, Terry1956 said:

My partner drives an MX5 so I am use to Mazda. However over the best few weeks looking for a replacement car I took the opportunity to drive two Mazda CX5. The first was the 2.5lt petrol engined car. On the test drive, I found the Cd gearbox all over the place, it had a total mind of its own. The driver seat was just too short for me ( I am 5, 10 ), making it just not a nice place to be at all. This was a 2023 car with around 7000 miles. The second CX5 was a 2lt petrol also. In this the CD gearbox was a bit better, but again the seats let it down. On looking at the advantage MPG that was not good news, low 30, s on the 2lt. High 20, s on the 2.5lt.
You need to drive one a few miles to truly get the feel. But not for me.

Cheers for the info regarding seats. Thats certainly given me some fuel for thought. I'm 6'4 and partner is 5'10. Both let's say sturdy build. 

Might bring the NX back into play if we can't get comfy....

My father drives a CX5, but it was only purchased as it was just about the only car he could get in the pandemic. The new NX was higher in his list of preferences, but there just weren’t any to buy. The CX5 is also nice, but it’s nothing special. 

Appreciate you won’t be near a Lexus dealer, but, I’d personally take a Lexus for the 10 year warranty rather than a Mazda, and time services to coincide with thrips further south! 

I also have family on Skye, and I’d question the wisdom of a diesel. Given relatively low speeds due to the roads, and plenty of stopping in passing places etc., I’d think you’d be at risk of DPF problems. Petrol would be my choice there. 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, superatticman said:

Nearly 6 years of hassle free Lexus ownership here. To say this car has been a diamond is an understatement. No real reason to sell it.

However!

Now living with my missus in Skye. Really need something a little more 'high up' and with the utility of collapsible rear seats etc. May be getting a doggie in the future so that will have to be considered too. Naturally I looked towards a Lexus NX but you certainly pay for hybrid technology. Up here diesel makes complete sense. Absolutely not interested in the German marques. Too many reliability issues and once 'Lexused' and 'Hondarised', German car ownership is only going to come as a shock again (been there before).

Honda stopped doing a diesel in the CRV a good few years ago so one of those probably out of the question. Both of us quite like the CX-5 though. Comes with Japanese electrical reliability and the petrol engines are certainly very tried and tested. The 180bhp diesel of which I am interested in does have a slightly less favourable reputation but is still likely to be less trouble than the German brands. There is a 2.5L petrol although its pretty rare. Interior quality is pretty good too of which is something I'm always keen on. 

Anyone have any experience with this model? Is a strong contender at present. 

Adam, I've had a CX5 diesel for 3 years,  nice interior as you say, sport nav +  not missing anything  imo.  Cheap to run ( 50 mpg) and insure,  the only issue I've had is oil dilution  where  message comes up when fuel has diluted the oil and the oil level is too high.  Had it twice and can't identify any particular driving style that would have contributed.  It's apparently quite common, but touch wood no issues in 8 months or so.  Just needs an oil change and all is good again.  Though as you may know all diesels can suffer form various egr dpf etc issues particularly if they get a lot of short drives.  Not had any issues personally though.

Mazda CX 60 - I'm on the facebook CX- 60 forum and I can only say that unless the brand new cars have improved compared to initial launch I would steer very, very clear. 

Some great info here. 

NX is definitely back in the picture. Does appear that prices of the previous model have come down in the last year or so. Plus its sister the RAV 4 very much a contender now too. 

Have to say if you live in these parts, utter reliability is paramount. 

Was a bit concerned when my missus started veering off to look at a big Renault earlier. As well as looking at a Q5 too. Must say the Q5 S line 2.0T petrol did appeal though as was extremely comfortable and roomy inside. Don't get many toys and just not sure I'd trust it. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links