Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Im looking at a used 2013 GS300H with 180,000kms on the clock. How reliable is this model compared to the GS250? any advice before buying one? this is the first time im having a hybrid so im fairly new to the topic. Any guidance is greatly appriciated!

I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and have had no issues, but I'm only on 60K miles.

The one you're looking at is twice that mileage - you mention 180K kms - is it an import? or are you not actually in UK?

Check the brakes - that the rears aren't seized (make sure they are not very hot after a short drive)

Be aware that some trim levels (F-Sport and Premier in UK) have the bigger front brake discs and they are expensive (£400+) - I don't think there are aftermarket parts available. Other trims have the smaller discs and there's plenty of choice. My front brake pads lasted to about 55K miles - your car may be in need of an expensive front brake job after potentially two pad sets or it may have been done - check.

If the 12v Battery is a Panasonic it will be original and possibly on its last legs or it may have been replaced. The only batteries which are actually correct are expensive - ~£300 but compromises are possible so you could get down to ~£80-£100. Plenty of discussion on here about batteries.

The car is too old for Lexus warranties but it would be a good idea to get a hybrid health check. A pass would indicate that the hybrid system is reasonably OK and give a traction Battery warranty for a year/10K miles - not sure if that would apply if it's an import.

There was a recall last year re the Fuel Vent assembly - check that it has been done.

Do the usual checks - eg for clean oil and coolant - the coolant (engine and hybrid system) should have been changed last year - has it been done?

Can't compare with a GS250 but I had an IS250 for 7 years. The GS300h has a much simpler engine - the plugs are easily accessible but the oil filter is a bit less so.

I agree with everything @johnatg except it is only the 450h F-Sport and Premier models that have bigger brake discs. GS 300h and GS 450h Luxury front discs size is 334mm x 30mm and GS 450h F-Sport and Premier are 356mm x 30mm.

https://media.lexus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/06/1517227373180125MGSTechnicalSpecifications.pdf

Ah - just been out and measured mine. Christopher is correct - 334mm discs on my GS300h Premier. Still a potentially expensive brake job sometime after 100K miles though!

9 hours ago, johnatg said:

Still a potentially expensive brake job sometime after 100K miles though!

True but cheaper non OEM's are available for the smaller size but not the larger ones, although if there are I cannot find them anywhere!

You can get Textar (OE brand in this case) for a good price. 

Or order OEM, I made my first order from megazip (not rotors or pads but caliper brackets and some bushings) and they appear OEM, price was quite good. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links