Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

'Underseal'?

I have used Lanoguard on my previous Toyota. Lots of exposed metal and relatively cheap and easy to do (DIY).

The UX looks different underneath. A large cover near the front I think(?) which personally I would just leave as is.

Not sure about the underneath rear.

Has anyone considered or tried it, on their UX?

Regards.

After looking at the underside of my wife's 4 year old UX I'd recommend treating it if you intend to keep the vehicle for any length of time. It is starting to show corrosion on the seams of the pressed steel suspension arms, bolts etc at the rear. I don't believe they are well treated and will deteriorate over the years.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

After looking at the underside of my wife's 4 year old UX ....

Thank you, Colin,

Words of wisdom as always.

Sounds like a 'yes'.

Will add it to my 'jobs' list! 

I applied LanoGuard to my car this week…

A DIY job that cost me about £20.

I washed my car, on the driveway, underneath, using a simple garden hose. Gave it a really good soaking. Then let it dry and then did it again. Then left it to dry for 24 hours. The hot weather certainly helped.

Then I warmed a bottle of LanoGuard in a bucket of very hot water. I like the 500ml bottles. Just find them convenient and simple to use. And the spray works perfectly for me…

The majority of application was at the rear. I did some at the front as well but used ramps when doing the back.

I wore old clothes, a face mask, surgical gloves and used a thick piece of old cardboard as a mat to lie on.

Although the product is natural, I think it contains solvents as well to stop it solidifying?

As per last time, even though obviously using it outside, I do feel a bit spaced out afterwards. So I tend to do it in the morning and rest in afternoon!

The actual application took about 30 minutes at the most.

The advice seems to then be, once applied, leave it for a day, which is what I do, plus a bit more…

There wasn’t much rust at all, but having previously owned a lovely RX300 that died from underbody corrosion, I wanted to be safer…

As an aside, I’ve read various comments about ‘underseal’ and MOTs. Timing wise, it made sense to me to do it a week or so after it’s MOT, to allow plenty (!) of time before the next MOT. Although it’s never been a problem for me…

A job well done I think…

And a hot shower for me afterwards, as we have sheep in nearby fields and I don’t wish to get them excited! 🐑 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PCM said:

I applied LanoGuard to my car this week…

A DIY job that cost me about £20.

I washed my car, on the driveway, underneath, using a simple garden hose. Gave it a really good soaking. Then let it dry and then did it again. Then left it to dry for 24 hours. The hot weather certainly helped.

Then I warmed a bottle of LanoGuard in a bucket of very hot water. I like the 500ml bottles. Just find them convenient and simple to use. And the spray works perfectly for me…

The majority of application was at the rear. I did some at the front as well but used ramps when doing the back.

I wore old clothes, a face mask, surgical gloves and used a thick piece of old cardboard as a mat to lie on.

Although the product is natural, I think it contains solvents as well to stop it solidifying?

As per last time, even though obviously using it outside, I do feel a bit spaced out afterwards. So I tend to do it in the morning and rest in afternoon!

The actual application took about 30 minutes at the most.

The advice seems to then be, once applied, leave it for a day, which is what I do, plus a bit more…

There wasn’t much rust at all, but having previously owned a lovely RX300 that died from underbody corrosion, I wanted to be safer…

As an aside, I’ve read various comments about ‘underseal’ and MOTs. Timing wise, it made sense to me to do it a week or so after it’s MOT, to allow plenty (!) of time before the next MOT. Although it’s never been a problem for me…

A job well done I think…

And a hot shower for me afterwards, as we have sheep in nearby fields and I don’t wish to get them excited! 🐑 

How much did you use?

I am also a big fan of lanoguard. I treat any surface rust firth with Bilt and Hamber Hydrate 80.  Then apply lanoguard over everything after that has dried and I have rinsed the underside. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adrian-gregory said:

I am also a big fan of lanoguard. I treat any surface rust firth with Bilt and Hamber Hydrate 80.  Then apply lanoguard over everything after that has dried and I have rinsed the underside. 

If you use Bilt products then why not use their superior Dynax-UB? Lanoguard is fine but needs to be reapplied often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

If you use Bilt products then why not use their superior Dynax-UB? Lanoguard is fine but needs to be reapplied too often.

good question. i had not considered the dynax ub - got into the habit of every year wire brushing and treating the older cars as required and I am familiar with lanogurad.  I'll have a look at Dynax UB as well, thank you .

• Like 1

Interesting that Bilt also provide anti rust coating. I use their snow foam and Surfex all the time. I genuinely don't think there is a better product for whatever purpose. Now lodged in my brain and will be my go to when I look for rust.......

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links