Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter fuel payment

10 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Why would you want to live on Turkey? Once a year maybe but everyday!? 😅

Here is a strange thing. I once went for awhile to stay in Turkey. Quite a few years ago now. I was shocked by how nice the people were. Comparing it to what I generally find in this country it was quite a seachange experience.

Now with regards to inflation over there you do need to consider there are really not many outcomes that are better than to have your income in a currency that is stronger than that in which you spend. Here is a 10yr chart for sterling v Turkish Lira. Nothing further needs to be said as the chart explains all.

tkr.png

• Like 1

In my professional capacity as a seasoned Travel Agent …….. beware when now visiting Turkey …….many local prices are now in euros ……… locals in touristy business have abandoned the lira …… taking daily advantage of the local inflationary pressures have vanished for UK ££££ tourists 

Malc 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

In my professional capacity as a seasoned Travel Agent …….. beware when now visiting Turkey …….many local prices are now in euros ……… locals in touristy business have abandoned the lira …… taking daily advantage of the local inflationary pressures have vanished for UK ££££ tourists 

We went to Istanbul 2 years ago when the pound was 33 T Lira. We were considering a re-visit but friends who went recently confirmed what Malc said and prices have ( allegedly ) rocketed. But like any tourist area, shop around, check the guides and most importantly try to get some local knowledge. We did a Riviera trip to Kusadasi, Gallipoli, Pergamon, Ephesus Troy and some other places then finished in Istanbul. It was an excellent holiday. So a year later we tried the same type of trip in Sicily, let's just say disappointing! Crummy hotels and awful food in the hotels. Even though we had full board inclusive we ate out most nights.  Sicily itself is well worth a visit though.

BTW 45Lira to the pound at the moment but local prices have gone up to remove the advantage. P.S. buy Persian saffron in Istanbul or any amount of genuine fake goods which can be decent quality nonetheless.😉

14 minutes ago, GMB said:

We went to Istanbul 2 years ago when the pound was 33 T Lira. We were considering a re-visit but friends who went recently confirmed what Malc said and prices have ( allegedly ) rocketed. But like any tourist area, shop around, check the guides and most importantly try to get some local knowledge. We did a Riviera trip to Kusadasi, Gallipoli, Pergamon, Ephesus Troy and some other places then finished in Istanbul. It was an excellent holiday. So a year later we tried the same type of trip in Sicily, let's just say disappointing! Crummy hotels and awful food in the hotels. Even though we had full board inclusive we ate out most nights.  Sicily itself is well worth a visit though.

BTW 45Lira to the pound at the moment but local prices have gone up to remove the advantage. P.S. buy Persian saffron in Istanbul or any amount of genuine fake goods which can be decent quality nonetheless.😉

Your statement reminded me of brothers 50 quid Rolex. Let's just say his bragging rights were very short lived.

6 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Here is a strange thing. I once went for awhile to stay in Turkey. Quite a few years ago now. I was shocked by how nice the people were. Comparing it to what I generally find in this country it was quite a seachange experience.

Now with regards to inflation over there you do need to consider there are really not many outcomes that are better than to have your income in a currency that is stronger than that in which you spend. Here is a 10yr chart for sterling v Turkish Lira. Nothing further needs to be said as the chart explains all.

tkr.png

Looks remarkably like the Weimar Republic 😀

22 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Looks remarkably like the Weimar Republic 😀

Think you are missing the distinction between inflation and hyperinflation. Although the respective leaderships share some disturbing characteristics.

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Think you are missing the distinction between inflation and hyperinflation. Although the respective leaderships share some disturbing characteristics.

Nope, just likening the curve on the graph, and am I correct in thinking inflation precedes hyperinflation? 🤔🙂

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Nope, just likening the curve on the graph, and am I correct in thinking inflation precedes hyperinflation? 🤔🙂

Whilst I would agree that inflation heightened is always a precursor to hyperinflation there is as yet still no resemblance whatsoever between Turkish inflation and German hyperinflation. They are of totally different orders of scale. Do a quick Google for the numbers. I recall the hyperinflation was literally running at inflation of hundreds of % per annum.

Turkey one day? Who knows.

If Erdogan still believes that high inflation is the outcome of high interest rates and occasionally appoints his son in law as finance minister all is possible. Great people and fascinating city, with Istanbul likely one of the biggest mix of cultures/religions around.

Article in my today's Western Morning News. Note... a Labour government introduced the Winter Fuel Allowance in 1997. When it was introduced, Labour said it was simply not prepared to let another winter go by when pensioners were fearful of turning on their heating, even on the coldest winter days...

WMN Article_19.10.24.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Article in my today's Western Morning News. Note... a Labour government introduced the Winter Fuel Allowance in 1997. When it was introduced, Labour said it was simply not prepared to let another winter go by when pensioners were fearful of turning on their heating, even on the coldest winter days...

WMN Article_19.10.24.jpeg

Well then, all those OAPs from nigh 30 years back have probably popped their clogs and this generation, well you and me anyway, and half a million more, are quite mindful that the same fate shouldn’t happen to those hugely disadvantaged in our Society ……. BUT it’s seemingly very unlikely the Labour Govt the Labour Prime Minister and all bar a handful of the Labour MPs care a monkeys about the likely upcoming deaths of a few thousand of their constituents ….. those really really disadvantaged OAPs 

SHAME ON YOU STARMER  and your cohorts of evilness 

AGE. UK.  Petition now at 

559,578   Signatures 

Malc 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Article in my today's Western Morning News. Note... a Labour government introduced the Winter Fuel Allowance in 1997. When it was introduced, Labour said it was simply not prepared to let another winter go by when pensioners were fearful of turning on their heating, even on the coldest winter days..

Well they can write, Kevin, but I can’t see Reeves changing the position on WFA.  

For one thing, there’s a catastrophic loss of face involved!  After years in opposition and claiming to have a ‘fully costed’ Plan for the Nation, to have to admit that her very first action as a Minister was a wrong un, would be the end of what is promising to be a disastrous career.

As I’ve noted before - and as most political parties discover - being  the Opposition is in many ways so much easier!  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

BUT it’s seemingly very unlikely the Labour Govt the Labour Prime Minister and all bar a handful of the Labour MPs care a monkeys about the likely upcoming deaths of a few thousand of their constituents

Of course they did care for them when their own 2018 Survey predicted that up to 4000 deaths would result from ending the WFA.

Mind you, that was when is was an action being considered by the then Tory government!

• Like 3

AGE. UK. are predicting, from their own   Impact Assessment   that some 2 million plus OAPs will, this winter suffer hugely from this drastic cut in the WFP  ……. choosing between heating or eating, or possibly neither satisfactorily  …….

receiving DWP pension whatever monetary increases AFTER  the winter won’t help those OAPs one jot, we all know that !!! ……  as several thousands will likely be consigned to a premature Labour Govt  Labour Prime Minister induced death ……

……. it really is that simple 🥵

Its an utter disgrace and shameful and totally preventable 

Malc 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

AGE. UK. are predicting, from their own   Impact Assessment   that some 2 million plus OAPs will, this winter suffer hugely from this drastic cut in the WFP  ……. choosing between heating or eating, or possibly neither satisfactorily  …….

receiving DWP pension whatever monetary increases AFTER  the winter won’t help those OAPs one jot, we all know that !!! ……  as several thousands will likely be consigned to a premature Labour Govt  Labour Prime Minister induced death ……

……. it really is that simple 🥵

Its an utter disgrace and shameful and totally preventable 

Malc 

Mark my words Malc these chancers are gambling on there being a mild winter(look at the forecast), in which case they will have wriggled out of it like an eel in a jar of Brylcream. But if it's a harsh one then they can aways use "extenuating circumstances/out of the ordinary/etc etc to make a one off payment much like the furlough scheme. However what these strutting jackanapes forget is, a week maybe a long time in politics but it will stay forever in the memory of the off-spring of the people they have slighted. And maybe they, who will be in charge at the time, enact a law stating "Remember the Winter Fuel Allowance " should be in the obituaries of those who voted for the cut and consequences. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I do remember mentioning weeks ago here somewhere that perhaps any Coroners Report should be specific on death from cold …….. might that happen somehow 🤔

Malc 

Great idea, bit like Covid put on every certificate? Fat chance ☹️

Just now, Kevin Williams said:

Phil, you learn something every day...!    an eel in a jar of Brylcream...!   Albeit my dad used Brylcream... This is a new phrase to me...!

Dad's book....jpeg

Glad you like it, perfectly describes the slippery nature of these "politicians" , shed their beliefs like a snake it's skin 🤠

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

AGE. UK.  Petition

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT

560,007.  Signatures now  

Malc 

Just today from Wes Streeting

"NHS care can be a “death sentence” for some patients, the Health Secretary has said as the Prime Minister called for better use of technology to make the NHS “fit for the next 75 years”. 

My head spins with incredulity, are they oblivious to the consequences of their actions? 😱

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Just today from Wes Streeting

"NHS care can be a “death sentence” for some patients, the Health Secretary has said as the Prime Minister called for better use of technology to make the NHS “fit for the next 75 years”. 

My head spins with incredulity, are they oblivious to the consequences of their actions? 😱

I doubt they care one jot that several 000’s WILL probably die as a result of their immediate cancellation of the WFP ……. I do so wish a Coroner's Report might include “ Death thru Cold “ 

Malc 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I doubt they care one jot that several 000’s WILL probably die as a result of their immediate cancellation of the WFP ……. I do so wish a Coroner's Report might include “ Death thru Cold “ 

Malc 

I still don't understand how they can blatantly say NHS care is a death sentence and blame it previous government and see no connection with WFA debacle 😕

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

…. I do so wish a Coroner's Report might include “ Death thru Cold “ 

I expect your wish will be granted, Malcolm.

Unexplained death usually results in an autopsy and the results of hypothermia are distinctive.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links