Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter fuel payment

18 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Len, I referred to her as apolitical. That was in the sense she appears to hold no party persuasion inparticular, but functions as a civil servant bureaucrat brought in to referee 'issues' for Parliament in general. I reached that conclusion based upon her career todate.

And yet the very definition of the term includes ; not affiliated to any particular party not interested in politics, having no relevance or importance. So when she gets enobled as speculated, presume she will sit as an independent? As John Wayne famously said "that'll be the day" 

• Like 1

Just thinking she would sit Without Political Portfolio and just sitting over a new Govt made up of “ the best “ available persons with the very best interests of this Great Britain at heart 

The politicians have made a huge hash of it so far this year 

Malc 

56 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

And yet the very definition of the term includes ; not affiliated to any particular party not interested in politics, having no relevance or importance. So when she gets enobled as speculated, presume she will sit as an independent? As John Wayne famously said "that'll be the day" 

Yes, I know what the dictionary definition is. However, I could not think of a better word to describe her career to date in the sense her political activity has been virtually to serve as a non affiliated referee. Perhaps I should have described her thus, but I dare say that would not have been totally accurate either in the sense there is an underlying interest in Irish politics.

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Len, I referred to her as apolitical. That was in the sense she appears to hold no party persuasion inparticular

Apologies Stephen, I missed your initial reference to Sue Gray and picked up on Malcolm’s.

However, I would question your premise that ‘she appears to hold no party persuasion in particular’ as it rather contrasts with the alacrity with which she accepted Starmer’s offer of his Chief of Staff.

Maybe it’s just me, but I fail to see how you could accept such a pivotal Party Political position without being sympathetic to its views.  

Mind you, I do admit to a certain antipathy towards career Civil Servants of her ilk.  

I understand that she joined the Civil Service straight from school and - apart from a very short period running a pub - this has constituted her Life experience. I encountered many similar individuals in the past and was always struck by their often unshakable belief that some how this endowed them with the expertise to run a business, make a profit, feed the nation, supervise its heath, manage its scientific projects, develop power supplies and so on.  

In short, to control every aspect of the lives of its Citizens.  For example, I don’t know what her view on the WFP farrago was, but I doubt that Starmer or Reeves would have proceeded if Gray had voiced serious objections. So it maybe that her position on this has contributed to Starmer’s disenchantment!

41 minutes ago, LenT said:

Apologies Stephen, I missed your initial reference to Sue Gray and picked up on Malcolm’s.

However, I would question your premise that ‘she appears to hold no party persuasion in particular’ as it rather contrasts with the alacrity with which she accepted Starmer’s offer of his Chief of Staff.

Maybe it’s just me, but I fail to see how you could accept such a pivotal Party Political position without being sympathetic to its views.  

Mind you, I do admit to a certain antipathy towards career Civil Servants of her ilk.  

I understand that she joined the Civil Service straight from school and - apart from a very short period running a pub - this has constituted her Life experience. I encountered many similar individuals in the past and was always struck by their often unshakable belief that some how this endowed them with the expertise to run a business, make a profit, feed the nation, supervise its heath, manage its scientific projects, develop power supplies and so on.  

In short, to control every aspect of the lives of its Citizens.  For example, I don’t know what her view on the WFP farrago was, but I doubt that Starmer or Reeves would have proceeded if Gray had voiced serious objections. So it maybe that her position on this has contributed to Starmer’s disenchantment!

One of my all-time heroes expressed something similar Len. "Many intellectuals and their followers have been unduly impressed by the fact that highly educated elites like themselves have far more knowledge per capita—in the sense of special knowledge—than does the population at large. From this it is a short step to considering the educated elites to be superior guides to what should and should not be done in a society. They have often overlooked the crucial fact that the population at large may have vastly more total knowledge—in the mundane sense—than the elites, even if that knowledge is scattered in individually unimpressive fragments among vast numbers of people.”

― Thomas Sowell, Intellectuals and Society

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

One of my all-time heroes expressed something similar Len. "Many intellectuals and their followers have been unduly impressed by the fact that highly educated elites like themselves have far more knowledge per capita—in the sense of special knowledge—than does the population at large. From this it is a short step to considering the educated elites to be superior guides to what should and should not be done in a society. They have often overlooked the crucial fact that the population at large may have vastly more total knowledge—in the mundane sense—than the elites, even if that knowledge is scattered in individually unimpressive fragments among vast numbers of people.”

I couldn’t have put it better, Phil.👍

In fact, I obviously didn’t!  😊

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Which brings us back to The Law Of Large Numbers and why real Democracy matters. Not a democracy facsimile based on 80% of voters not being represented at the ballot box. How can that be Democracy?

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I don't think a chief of staff job is necessarily one based on ideology. Rather it's more akin to to understanding the political consequences of policy choices. In that sense surely you need objectivity not shared ideology otherwise exactly what are you doing as a strategist other than telling your client what he wants to hear? You could almost call that a classic example 'of 'group think'.

17 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Which brings us back to The Law Of Large Numbers and why real Democracy matters. Not a democracy facsimile based on 80% of voters not being represented at the ballot box. How can that be Democracy?

Ah yes, the wisdom of crowds 😊. Reminds me of Socrates and his view of democracy, viz, 

"Socrates knew how easily people seeking election could exploit our desire for easy answers. He asked us to imagine an election debate between two candidates, one who was like a doctor and the other who was like a sweet shop owner. The sweet shop owner would say of his rival: Look, this person here has worked many evils on you. He hurts you, gives you bitter potions and tells you he not to eat and drink whatever you like. He’ll never serve you feasts of many and varied pleasant things like I will. Socrates asks us to consider the audience response: Do you think the doctor would be able to reply effectively? The true answer – ‘I cause you trouble, and go against you desires in order to help you’ would cause an uproar among the voters, don’t you think?

We have forgotten all about Socrates’s salient warnings against democracy. We have preferred to think of democracy as an unambiguous good – rather than as something that is only ever as effective as the education system that surrounds it. As a result, we have elected many sweet shop owners, and very few doctors."

As true nearly 2500 years ago as it is today 🙂

• Like 2

On 10/7/2024 at 10:40 PM, Malc1 said:

554,001.   Signatures  👏👏👏

AGE. UK.  Petition 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

Malc 

554,414. Signatures now  👏👏👏

Malc 

McSweeney fundraised for Labour Together during his role as company secretary, though stopped reporting the large majority of donations the group received from December 2017 onward, eventually failing to report more than £730,000 in funds within the 30 days required by law during his tenure. The undeclared donations as well as additional incorrect information declared by McSweeney were investigated by the Electoral Commission; Labour Together received a fine of £14,250 for over 20 breaches of electoral law in September 2021, which a spokesman for the Commission stated was "towards the high end of the scale".

462233792_2263769903982835_3122228116982366738_n.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

McSweeney fundraised for Labour Together during his role as company secretary, though stopped reporting the large majority of donations the group received from December 2017 onward, eventually failing to report more than £730,000 in funds within the 30 days required by law during his tenure. The undeclared donations as well as additional incorrect information declared by McSweeney were investigated by the Electoral Commission; Labour Together received a fine of £14,250 for over 20 breaches of electoral law in September 2021, which a spokesman for the Commission stated was "towards the high end of the scale".

462233792_2263769903982835_3122228116982366738_n.jpg

When he resigns in 3 months he can start a new career has a Justin Timberlake tribute act. Though to do it right he has to sing whilst drink driving (sic).

13 hours ago, Malc1 said:

554,414. Signatures now  👏👏👏

Malc 

555,059.   Signatures now 👍

Malc 

AGE UK  website is offering the simple ability for you to write ( again ) to your MP ahead of the budget 

Just fill in the boxes and press “ GO” and a fresh email, from you, is sent to your own MP 

I have of course done that 👍

Malc 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

AGE UK  website is offering the simple ability for you to write ( again ) to your MP ahead of the budget 

Just fill in the boxes and press “ GO” and a fresh email, from you, is sent to your own MP 

I have of course done that 👍

Malc 

Wilco 

• Like 1

Perhaps I’m missing something here but I’m understanding that the Black Hole to be partially remediated by the suggested thievery from OAPs this Budget Day …….. together with imposing of VAT on Public/Private School Fees …… will not be assisted by a probable EXEMPTION from VAT on School Fees to be offered to our amazing and well deserved in all respects …….. ARMED FORCES  personnel 

Govt beating up the possibly 2,000,000 really impoverished OAPs and “giving financial largesse” to our much respected Armed Forces families does seem strange 🤔

Malc 

34 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Perhaps I’m missing something here but I’m understanding that the Black Hole to be partially remediated by the suggested thievery from OAPs this Budget Day …….. together with imposing of VAT on Public/Private School Fees …… will not be assisted by a probable EXEMPTION from VAT on School Fees to be offered to our amazing and well deserved in all respects …….. ARMED FORCES  personnel 

Govt beating up the possibly 2,000,000 really impoverished OAPs and “giving financial largesse” to our much respected Armed Forces families does seem strange 🤔

Malc 

Malc, I though the "black hole" was so bad that they had to rob pensioners of £1.3 billion WFA to help fund a £11 billion pay-out to the train drivers and public sector. I was always reasonably good at maths but I think Thieves and Kneeler need some basic financial education.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Malc, I though the "black hole" was so bad that they had to rob pensioners of £1.3 billion WFA to help fund a £11 billion pay-out to the train drivers and public sector. I was always reasonably good at maths but I think Thieves and Kneeler need some basic financial education.

The gilt market is already toasting the Labour budget before it even happens. The WFA in relative terms doesn't even rate worthy of a mention except of course to OAP"s  who really need it.  Reeves was obviously wasting her time learning nothing in her former role at the BOE. Rachel, the bond market is always smarter than you will ever be. Listen, or ignore at your peril.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Thought you knew John according to Cabinet Minister Lucy Powell had they not done in the WFA it would have caused a run on the pound a la Liz Truss style and a financial crash! Despite the fact that this year's government spend outlook is £1,189 BILLION ie less than 1%. The chicanery and outright untruths fills you with despair. What I do know is old age comes upon you ever so quickly, it wasn't here a moment ago but now it is with all it's limitations and ailments. These people making and supporting these despicable decisions are oblivious to how quickly it will descend upon them. And then of course, what will the youth of their time think is intergenerational unfairness? As they say, you will owe nothing, own nothing but be happy. I say it's called Karma. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

The gilt market is already toasting the Labour budget before it even happens. The WFA in relative terms doesn't even rate worthy of a mention except of course to OAP"s  who really need it.  Reeves was obviously wasting her time learning nothing in her former role at the BOE. Rachel, the bond market is always smarter than you will ever be. Listen, or ignore at your peril.

From what I've seen so far, Reeves job at the BOE must have been the tea lady. She certainly doesn't understand business or finance

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

From what I've seen so far, Reeves job at the BOE must have been the tea lady. She certainly doesn't understand business or finance

And one of her other jobs was at Halifax,if memory serves me well,did it's recklessness,and subsequent need to be bailed out by Lloyds ,nearly bankrupt the country.

I also see that her gormless and clueless leader is now claiming his uncle's ship was torpedoed during the Falklands War.Apparantley the only ship to be torpedoed during the conflict was the Admiral Belgrano -- we can therefore assume his uncle was a traitor,just like him,intent on ruining the country...he certainly is the son of a toolmaker...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavidCM said:

And one of her other jobs was at Halifax,if memory serves me well,did it's recklessness,and subsequent need to be bailed out by Lloyds ,nearly bankrupt the country.

I also see that her gormless and clueless leader is now claiming his uncle's ship was torpedoed during the Falklands War.Apparantley the only ship to be torpedoed during the conflict was the Admiral Belgrano -- we can therefore assume his uncle was a traitor,just like him,intent on ruining the country...he certainly is the son of a toolmaker...

Thanks for kicking off a fireworks of a thread David. 👍

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

The concept is the higher the risk the higher the return must be when being exposed to that risk. So, despite a drop in BOE controlled base interest rates that would normally lower the rate on govt debt the fact that they have risen is a direct statement by the market that they see an increase in risk from govt policy. Namely, they expect higher borrowing and remain unconvinced it will lead to higher growth. More likely it will just fuel a bit more inflation for OAP's to deal with.

I explained inflation to my daughter who works in the public sector. I told her everytime she and her public sector peers decided to eat out using that nice pay rise they would effectively price out of a table one more OAP who is on a Fixed Income.

She replied " you pay for your meal and mine so I don't understand". I'm going back to my car polishing until further notice.(sic)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links