Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter fuel payment

6 hours ago, fourbanks said:

As my MP has stated, the vote will be a clear win for Sir Keir, so stop wasting your time. Get over it, he says 

5 hours ago, LenT said:

It might be worth reminding your MP that when he comes up for reelection, how he voted will come under scrutiny.

I feel like I’m the voice of doom here, but…

…as with the ‘Red Wall’ after the 2019 election, many new Labour MPs find themselves (possibly unexpectedly) elected in historically Conservative constituencies, and with small majorities of fewer than 5,000 votes. I can’t remember the exact numbers from the day after the election, but I think it was somewhere in the region of 100-120.

I’m rather afraid that those MPs - one of which is in my own local constituency - have already realised that regardless of what they do, the chances are they’ll lose next time. The 2024 vote was a ‘vote for change’ but even a semi-competent Conservative Party will get back to at least 250 seats next time.

In my view, that means that most of those Labour MPs are already thinking about what they do next, rather than thinking about representing their constituents. They’ll likely get as much out of the system as they can, while they can, and work to secure a nice post-Parliament job.

As such I’m not convinced they really care about how their votes on individual policies look, as they’ll have already judged it makes little difference to their electoral chances next time, and so they’ll vote with the Government every time so as not to; a) rock the boat, and, b) spoil their chances of a well paid future job with a charity/pressure group/quango etc.

I appreciate that’s a cynical view, but there it is.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

It’s quite clear that this Labour Govt and Labour MPs are happy to treat their Party induced OAP DEATHS as collateral damage and is absolutely ok 

Just simply OK to slaughter maybe 4000 OAPs this winter 

Its OK to slaughter up to 4000 OAPs this winter  

This should be the new Labour Party mantra  “ kill ‘em off  WE DONT CARE “ 

Malc 

4000 dead pensioners - that's another 40 million saved (plus their NHS costs). I think we see their reasoning.

• Like 1

Now, this chap is very much on the left, but he does have a profile and expertise and has campaigned on tax and economic issues for years. Worth a watch for eight minutes.

Those new Labour MPs on £ 91,346 pa PLUS EXPENSES and heating allowances and Gold Plated Pensions ( I’m guessing …… is that so ?? ) possibly won’t care too much when they lose their seats in 5 years time 

They’re on this  Labour Govt Gravy Train alright  👏👏👏

Malc 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

…as with the ‘Red Wall’ after the 2019 election, many new Labour MPs find themselves (possibly unexpectedly) elected in historically Conservative constituencies, and with small majorities of fewer than 5,000 votes. I can’t remember the exact numbers from the day after the election, but I think it was somewhere in the region of 100-120.

I’m rather afraid that those MPs - one of which is in my own local constituency - have already realised that regardless of what they do, the chances are they’ll lose next time. The 2024 vote was a ‘vote for change’ but even a semi-competent Conservative Party will get back to at least 250 seats next time.

In my view, that means that most of those Labour MPs are already thinking about what they do next, rather than thinking about representing their constituents. They’ll likely get as much out of the system as they can, while they can, and work to secure a nice post-Parliament job.

As such I’m not convinced they really care about how their votes on individual policies look, as they’ll have already judged it makes little difference to their electoral chances next time, and so they’ll vote with the Government every time so as not to; a) rock the boat, and, b) spoil their chances of a well paid future job with a charity/pressure group/quango etc.

The only 'Bright Spot' I've enjoyed recently, (politically speaking I mean. I did have rather lovely slice of Hambletons Carrot Cake yesterday but at over £3.00 a pop I probably won't be doing that much when the fuel bills kick-in), is the fact that I was convinced that Labour would get two terms but now I see the glimmer of hope that they will slide away and only get one!

Today's Titbit of Terror is suggesting that the Government has been advised that a Pay-Per-Mile policy for road tax should be imposed. What about taxing the EV's that are wearing out the roads first?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Those new Labour MPs on £ 91,346 pa PLUS EXPENSES and heating allowances and Gold Plated Pensions ( I’m guessing …… is that so ?? ) possibly won’t care too much when they lose their seats in 5 years time 

They’re on this  Labour Govt Gravy Train alright  👏👏👏

Malc 

I believe that the Coalition removed ‘final salary’ pensions from MPs, but that their current scheme is still (ahem) ‘generous.’ 

One thing that does irritate me, is this choice Labour have made between public sector pay rises and the Winter Fuel Allowance. It used to be the case that public sector workers were paid less than for similar roles within the private sector (as a general rule) but this was subsidised by state backed and generous pensions with more annual leave etc. For instance, did you know that many public sector workers obtain extra annual leave as their years of service increase (albeit capped), and that they often get their birthday as an additional day, as well as the birthday of the Monarch. I’m not joking…

What Labour seem to be doing, almost certainly under pressure from their Union masters, is shifting this balance so that public sector workers will be seen to be getting ‘double bubble’ by those in the private sector who have seen pension provision decline while wages have also stagnated.

As with other things, I do feel they are operating in a similar way to the previous Conservative Government. Then we saw artificially created ‘culture wars’ about various things including immigration, BBC bias etc. etc. Now Labour are creating new ‘culture wars’ between young and old, public sector and private sector, big state control and personal choice…sigh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Now, this chap is very much on the left, but he does have a profile and expertise and has campaigned on tax and economic issues for years. Worth a watch for eight minutes.

When 'The Left' start turning on 'The Left' where is there to go? I guess the Fascists are rubbing their hands in glee!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lmafudd said:

When 'The Left' start turning on 'The Left' where is there to go? I guess the Fascists are rubbing their hands in glee!

I’m not sure most on the (real) left would consider Keir Starmer or his Government as left-wing…🥸

I won’t post it here, but look up what the Momentum wing - represented through an Alexei Sayle poem - think of Starmer. On YouTube search for ‘I hate Keir Starmer Alexei Sayle’ and you’ll see what I mean. Genius 😂

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Sad but true... 

• Thanks 1

The thing is that we all know that we probably don't need the paltry £100.00 but it's the principle. Sounds trite but it's true. £100.00 is barely enough for a good meal for two, especially in the south but there are many pensioners that would never even consider spending money in that way and that money will make a difference.
Why should it even be separate to the pension anyway? Like the 'Christmas Bonus'!! What the hell is that all about? It's a tenner! Is it to make us feel grateful? Roll them in, pay it over the year and tax it like the rest. It just makes sense.

• Like 4

Today's the day when the Labour Party Party can continue  ............. none of their 404 Labour MPs  ( is it  ) really care a monkeys about the OAPs and their true welfare ...  or do they  ??

Let's see just how many vote against the Govt today 

Malc

505,550   Signatures  just now 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I believe that the Coalition removed ‘final salary’ pensions from MPs, but that their current scheme is still (ahem) ‘generous.’ 

One thing that does irritate me, is this choice Labour have made between public sector pay rises and the Winter Fuel Allowance. It used to be the case that public sector workers were paid less than for similar roles within the private sector (as a general rule) but this was subsidised by state backed and generous pensions with more annual leave etc. For instance, did you know that many public sector workers obtain extra annual leave as their years of service increase (albeit capped), and that they often get their birthday as an additional day, as well as the birthday of the Monarch. I’m not joking…

What Labour seem to be doing, almost certainly under pressure from their Union masters, is shifting this balance so that public sector workers will be seen to be getting ‘double bubble’ by those in the private sector who have seen pension provision decline while wages have also stagnated.

As with other things, I do feel they are operating in a similar way to the previous Conservative Government. Then we saw artificially created ‘culture wars’ about various things including immigration, BBC bias etc. etc. Now Labour are creating new ‘culture wars’ between young and old, public sector and private sector, big state control and personal choice…sigh.

"Then we saw artificially created ‘culture wars’ about various things including immigration, BBC bias etc. etc" .

Artificial 😱, Artificial 🤯, only yesterday the BBC was accused of breaching it's own guidelines 1533 times in respect of just one subject! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Artificial 😱, Artificial 🤯, only yesterday the BBC was accused of breaching it's own guidelines 1533 times in respect of just one subject! 

Don’t mis-understand me, I’m no lover of the BBC and their (to me) obvious left/centre left bias. Gaza/Israel seems to be an especially problematic area for them.

My point was more that Government uses stories/issues like that to put one group against another and deflect attention from other matters. It’s the classic ‘look over there!’

That isn’t to say these aren’t important issues, just that with the cost of living crisis, mortgage rates, small boats, the Truss debacle etc. the Conservatives clearly stoked the BBC ‘story’, along with others, in order to distract. Just my opinion, obviously. 

Starmer seems to be using similar tactics to solidify his support base, safe in the knowledge that those who are offended/penalised by his policies such as the Winter Fuel Allowance - which remember ‘only’ saves £1.5bn - are distracted from public sector pay rises and likely further attacks in the budget, on freedom of speech…I could go on but it gets depressing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

506,175.   Signatures thus far 

AGE. UK.   Petition 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

Malc 

506,534   signatures  just now

Malc

• Thanks 1

Parliament has - unsurprisingly - approved the cut to Winter Fuel Allowance. A lot of Labour MPs must have abstained

From Sky News;

The result of the vote is:

• Yes (to cancel the cut): 228
  • No (to approve the cut): 348
  • Majority: 120

34 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Parliament has - unsurprisingly - approved the cut to Winter Fuel Allowance. A lot of Labour MPs must have abstained

From Sky News;

The result of the vote is:

• Yes (to cancel the cut): 228
  • No (to approve the cut): 348
  • Majority: 120

The question is can they also get it passed in the House Of Lords?

I have already asked my new Labour MP how he voted 

he’s proven

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

The question is can they also get it passed in the House Of Lords?

to be poor on answering me with my prior emails 

The Govt can automatically override the House of Lords at the 3rd reading is it ?  Or am I confused on this ?  I’m not up to speed on Politicking I’m afraid 

Malc 

I was interested to hear Liz Kendall (Work & Pensions), during the debate, try to suggest that people actually voted for measures like this during the election as they wanted Labour to ‘fix’ the economy.

That is particularly brave/foolish (delete according to your political opinion) and pretty disingenuous.

If they believe people will forget this then I hope they’re sorely mistaken.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

might it reach a million

I don't think it matters now. Am I imagining it ( or the newspapers manipulating the images ) or can you see the "ashamed of himself" guilty look on Keir Starmers face? Meanwhile that other villain Reeves has a big grin. I would not be so proud if I had condemned hundreds of poor old folk to a miserable cold hungry winter or an early grave. How very sad.

I think the only thing decent people can do now is to look out for any frail old folk who may be struggling this winter. I wonder if there are any charitable organisations ( honest ones! ) that are helping them.

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

I have already asked my new Labour MP how he voted 

he’s proven

to be poor on answering me with my prior emails 

The Govt can automatically override the House of Lords at the 3rd reading is it ?  Or am I confused on this ?  I’m not up to speed on Politicking I’m afraid 

Malc 

Not sure myself Malc although I do think a bill needs to be passed by both houses.

24 minutes ago, GMB said:

I don't think it matters now. Am I imagining it ( or the newspapers manipulating the images ) or can you see the "ashamed of himself" guilty look on Keir Starmers face? Meanwhile that other villain Reeves has a big grin. I would not be so proud if I had condemned hundreds of poor old folk to a miserable cold hungry winter or an early grave. How very sad.

I think the only thing decent people can do now is to look out for any frail old folk who may be struggling this winter. I wonder if there are any charitable organisations ( honest ones! ) that are helping them.

Perhaps we should publish a list of MP's homes where OAP's can go keep warm this winter.

• Thanks 1

I did say about a month back here for us all to look out for our neighbours this coming winter ……. just take a little time to see what’s going on for them ……. making sure all looks ok  …….. as best we can 

There will be for sure a few  000s OAPs who will die from cold and hunger this winter …… and all as a result of this draconian Govt evil action  

Malc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links