Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter fuel payment

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Sat in the dealership waiting for the MoT and see on the BBC state pension to be boosted by £400 next year...

The DT says Labour are "poised" to raise it by £400 for those who retired post 2016 and only £300 for those on the old state pension. It's not yet cast in stone and a lot can change before then.

31 minutes ago, John Adams said:

The DT says Labour are "poised" to raise it by £400 for those who retired post 2016 and only £300 for those on the old state pension. It's not yet cast in stone and a lot can change before then.

Sounds to me (without crunching the numbers) that they are just applying the triple lock. This rise based upon the element relating to the increase in wages which I believe would be about 4.5%.

This ain't a bonus chaps. Take 20% off in tax (for most and more 40% for a few) nets down at lower rate tax to £320. Take off about £180 in the rise of the energy cap and you are left with a massive(sic) £140 ! Be sure not to spend it all at once on a huge spending spree at the Oxfam shop.

I am sick and tired of having my intelligence insulted on this issue by politicians. Listen up, the Triple Lock is NOT a gift, it is NOT a favour!. It is what any reasonable person should expect from its Govt. The fact is when you retire you are in the main on a Fixed Income. The single biggest threat to that income and your quality of life is Inflation. The latter is most effected by the policies your Govt makes. If it borrows heavily and floods that into the marketplace by say handing out high increases in wages to the public sector then inflation will not be going down much if at all.

In conclusion, if you hear politicians banging on about the Triple Lock favour , or indeed any journo doing the same feel free to hand them a pointy hat and send them to the corner for naughty illiterate children

• Like 2

Need some steam release and numbers are lovely for that. Question for you. Would you like ;

A a rise of 4.5% of £34k pa

Or

B a rise of 4.5% of £11.5k pa.

A is of course the average UK wage this year, and B is your full state pension(if you get it).

Now no reasonable man would expect some one no longer working to still get the same income as a working man. However, you can also see the huge difference that arises in income when the same % is applied to significantly different numbers. Again, I make the point it is the absolute figure and not the % that counts which is why your Fixed Income quality of life is going to get eroded badly when that kind of disparity exist. Over a 7 year period with inflation running at these levels your state pension won't keep the lights on and food on the table with much left over. So, do you want to Live, or is Existing enough? Fight your corner on this, or you know what the answer will be.

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Do you really think any Labour MP voting to support OAPs against his diktat will survive in politics as a Labour’ite 🤣😂

never in this next 5 years Parliament anyway 🤔

This “ free “ vote is simply rigged to fail OAPs …….. Starmer has history with conniving 🥵

Malc 

483.436  signatures so far 

AGE  UK  Petition 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

How do come to that conclusion. I would have thought most labours mp's will do the right thing and vote in favour of the pensioners 

3 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

How do come to that conclusion. I would have thought most labours mp's will do the right thing and vote in favour of the pensioners 

I would have thought so too, but everything I am reading tells me that OAP's are about to be the prime target for Labour's revenue planning. They have discounted raising tax for workers so who is left? This seems totally out of line with what we thought we knew about their ideology, but apparently it appears to be no longer their ideology in so far as as OAP's typically don't vote Labour anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Sounds to me (without crunching the numbers) that they are just applying the triple lock. This rise based upon the element relating to the increase in wages which I believe would be about 4.5%.

This ain't a bonus chaps. Take 20% off in tax (for most and more 40% for a few) nets down at lower rate tax to £320. Take off about £180 in the rise of the energy cap and you are left with a massive(sic) £140 ! Be sure not to spend it all at once on a huge spending spree at the Oxfam shop.

I am sick and tired of having my intelligence insulted on this issue by politicians. Listen up, the Triple Lock is NOT a gift, it is NOT a favour!. It is what any reasonable person should expect from its Govt. The fact is when you retire you are in the main on a Fixed Income. The single biggest threat to that income and your quality of life is Inflation. The latter is most effected by the policies your Govt makes. If it borrows heavily and floods that into the marketplace by say handing out high increases in wages to the public sector then inflation will not be going down much if at all.

In conclusion, if you hear politicians banging on about the Triple Lock favour , or indeed any journo doing the same feel free to hand them a pointy hat and send them to the corner for naughty illiterate children

Hear Hear! An economically illiterate pillock on Talk radio said boomers take more out than they paid in. Well of course they did notwithstanding inflation the whole State Pension thing is an unfounded giant Ponzi scheme. When we worked we paid for the then pensioners and now it's the follow on generations to chip in and do their bit but clearly they don't wish to. If they only had an ounce of foresight they would see they are supporting the end of the SP as we know it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Then you miss understand parliament!

If the Government want the vote to fail, the whips will be out in force to ensure they vote the correct way. Going against the whips is dangerous to an MP's career, especially new MP's. Unless of course they do not care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whips are the party's "enforcers". They work to ensure that their fellow political party legislators attend voting sessions and vote according to their party's official policy. Members who vote against party policy may "lose the whip", being effectively expelled from the party.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moleman said:

Then you miss understand parliament!

If the Government want the vote to fail, the whips will be out in force to ensure they vote the correct way. Going against the whips is dangerous to an MP's career, especially new MP's. Unless of course they do not care.

If they don't then they won't have a career just a 48 month gap in their CV. It is my intent to write to my new MP outlining what I expect of her both now and in the future. I will suggest we all do similar, if Malcs 490k all do the same then it will be a very tangible sign of the groundswell of opinion. Bear in mind over 65s aren't just a single entity, they have family and friends with the message if they can do this to us in such a cold-hearted way what can do to you? Even if just 50% of pensioners can influence just 3 people? Let your MP do the mathematics. 

17 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well of course they did notwithstanding inflation the whole State Pension thing is an unfounded giant Ponzi scheme.  

The State pension may be a giant unfunded Ponzi scheme but it is nothing compared to the Public sector pension liabilities which stood at £2.6 trillion  in 2021-22. No politician dares to challenge that but huge savings could be made there. Not least reducing the inflation protection they get. My small private pension rises at a maximum of 5% no matter what inflation is. Public sector pension increases rise at whatever inflation is even if it was 50%. Think of the savings if they were brought in line with the private sector.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

If they don't then they won't have a career just a 48 month gap in their CV. It is my intent to write to my new MP outlining what I expect of her both now and in the future. I will suggest we all do similar, if Malcs 490k all do the same then it will be a very tangible sign of the groundswell of opinion. Bear in mind over 65s aren't just a single entity, they have family and friends with the message if they can do this to us in such a cold-hearted way what can do to you? Even if just 50% of pensioners can influence just 3 people? Let your MP do the mathematics. 

Sadly my local brand new Labour MP has clearly found himself overwhelmed by emails letters whatever and can no longer find the time, ability to communicate with me …….. I’m not surprised   His Office is all new inexperienced politicos and the failure to respond is to be, simply expected 

Im quite sure he has a total inability time wise to respond sensibly to his Constituents 

He will I’m sure toe the PartyLine to stave being effectively excommunicated and his freedom to vote with his conscience will be simply curtailed  …….. he’s a Labour Party man thru and thru 

He like the majority of new Labour MPs will be estopped from voting with their conscience …….. sadly

Malc 

484,694. Signatures now 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Sadly my local brand new Labour MP has clearly found himself overwhelmed by emails letters whatever and can no longer find the time, ability to communicate with me …….. I’m not surprised   His Office is all new inexperienced politicos and the failure to respond is to be, simply expected 

One of many new arrivals in the Commons, Malcolm, who I suspect will now discover the reality gulf that exists between the supposed glamour of speaking FOR the Public as an MP - and the sheer horror of having to speak WITH them as their MP!

• Like 2

On a side note, with UK labour in turmoil on most matters come November, it might work to Donald Trump's favour. He can say, "Look at UK labour; voting for the Democrats and unions will spell disaster for the USA."

• Like 1

AGE. UK.   Petition 

485,813. Signatures till now 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

nearly half a million  👏👏👏

Malc 

• Like 1

482,079   Signatures      ...........     well I never   someone's been tampering with these figures everyone 

this is the on-line figure I just this minute extracted from the 

AGE  UK  Petition  website 

WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE 

Malc

8 hours ago, John Adams said:

The State pension may be a giant unfunded Ponzi scheme but it is nothing compared to the Public sector pension liabilities which stood at £2.6 trillion  in 2021-22. No politician dares to challenge that but huge savings could be made there. Not least reducing the inflation protection they get. My small private pension rises at a maximum of 5% no matter what inflation is. Public sector pension increases rise at whatever inflation is even if it was 50%. Think of the savings if they were brought in line with the private sector.

Do not forget to add the nearly £300Billion outstanding student debt which is growing faster than most students can ever pay off, so that bill will get called in at some time.

As a country we are well bankrupt in so many ways (not that any politician really cares, that is for the next lot to sort out !!!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malc1 said:

483,619. Signatures to date 

AGE. UK.    Petition 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

Malc 

484,021 signatures now 

AGE. UK.   PETITION 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

Malc 

12 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Do not forget to add the nearly £300Billion outstanding student debt which is growing faster than most students can ever pay off, so that bill will get called in at some time.

As a country we are well bankrupt in so many ways (not that any politician really cares, that is for the next lot to sort out !!!)

Maybe they could offset it against any future State Pension? This way it remains an open debt even if they choose to live in another country especially with reciprocal pension arrangements? 

12 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Thing about debt is duration in the first instance. You see if duration is long enough then by the time it comes due to be repaid ,or written off, it can be effectively worthless. That's what happens to your pension over a long enough duration and the reason is the same. Inflation even when same is in part due to a loss of purchasing power of your currency against competitor FX. .When rates were very low in the not too distant past so called credit worthy countries could issue long dated bonds with virtually a zero rate. Yes, I know which dipstick would ever want to buy them. Step up Institutions with mandates to hold such instruments as part of their risk management regs. Literally tying in a loss ,because they don't have much choice.

Debt is such a complex issue not many people not in that specific business really understand it and they make assumptions based on that limited knowledge that just don't hold true. Ask people who bet against Japanese debt (please look it up as a ratio of debt to GDP). Eyepopping. Should have been a sound bet. They lost in what is now known has the Japanese Widow maker trade. They didn't account for how the BOJ could manipulate the market and adjust Yen value to do so over decades. Our BOE does not enjoy the same situation, or strength, but needless to say there is a lot it can do  to manage the impact of that debt over 40 years ,or so.

'I'm working class, I like a dance': Angela Rayner dismisses furore over 4am Ibiza nightclub raving saying she is allowed 'downtime'

In truth I wish she spent all her time in "downtime" as she calls it. T'would be even better if she could take her colleagues with her. They would do so much less damage if so occupied.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

484,021 signatures now 

AGE. UK.   PETITION 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT 

Malc 

485,022.  Signatures to date 

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links