Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter fuel payment

Let's try some interesting facts.

There are approx. 47 million voters reg in the UK.

Of these just;

9.7m voted Labour 

6.8m voted Tory

4.1m voted Reform

The rest are pretty much irrelevant, but allow 4 m to cover the rest and approx just 24/25 million of 47 million voters actually voted. So 'Democracy' was achieved by just over half the voters who could be bothered.

More;

Labours meagre 9.7m votes represented approx 34/35% of actual votes cast (and just 20% of the electoral register of voters), but under the current system that means they won 63% of the seats in parliament.

Torys even more  meagre 6.8m votes are approx 24% of votes cast , but won them just 19%of the seats in parliament (do the math and tell me where is the logic)

Reform come in with 4.1m votes, or 14% of votes cast, but get just 0.8% of the seats in parliament (that's not a typo it really is as stupid as it appears).

Do a little basic arithmatic the Tory/Reform took 10.9m votes (more than Labour), but that gets you barely 25% of the seats compared to 63% for Labour with fewer votes !!!

Come along guys. Does this look anything like Democracy?

Can any party come to govt with just 20% of the voting electorate really claim they are representative of the voters in this country and are empowered because of that to think they know what the people of this country want to see from it's govt?

It is all just as absurd as it's looks at first blush.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

as ever it's been tho' in our lifetimes  ...........  and until Proportional Representation becomes the voting methodology then possibly nowt will change .............. banging one's head against that brickwall comes to mind ............... have another cuppa, it might soothe the nerves a tad ..  and a bikkie  😇

468,117  signatures now  👋👋👋

Malc

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Let's try some interesting facts.

There are approx. 47 million voters reg in the UK.

Of these just;

9.7m voted Labour 

6.8m voted Tory

4.1m voted Reform

The rest are pretty much irrelevant, but allow 4 m to cover the rest and approx just 24/25 million of 47 million voters actually voted. So 'Democracy' was achieved by just over half the voters who could be bothered.

More;

Labours meagre 9.7m votes represented approx 34/35% of actual votes cast (and just 20% of the electoral register of voters), but under the current system that means they won 63% of the seats in parliament.

Torys even more  meagre 6.8m votes are approx 24% of votes cast , but won them just 19%of the seats in parliament (do the math and tell me where is the logic)

Reform come in with 4.1m votes, or 14% of votes cast, but get just 0.8% of the seats in parliament (that's not a typo it really is as stupid as it appears).

Do a little basic arithmatic the Tory/Reform took 10.9m votes (more than Labour), but that gets you barely 25% of the seats compared to 63% for Labour with fewer votes !!!

Come along guys. Does this look anything like Democracy?

Can any party come to govt with just 20% of the voting electorate really claim they are representative of the voters in this country and are empowered because of that to think they know what the people of this country want to see from it's govt?

It occurs to me that something like 40% of voters opt not to vote. Some might suggest they have no right to complain. I do not. To me looking at the numbers above I am surprised that as much as 60% of voters do still choose to vote given that most of them are still not going to have any voice in the elected govt. On that basis it is not really surprising so many choose not to bother after all nearly 80% of eligible voters do NOT have any representation in govt.

Yes, truly Democracy in action (sic). A system so broken millions choose to opt out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

It occurs to me that something like 40% of voters opt not to vote. Some might suggest they have no right to complain. I do not. To me looking at the numbers above I am surprised that as much as 60% of voters do still choose to vote given that most of them are still not going to have any voice in the elected govt. On that basis it is not really surprising so many choose not to bother after all nearly 80% of eligible voters do NOT have any representation in govt.

Yes, truly Democracy in action (sic). A system so broken millions choose to opt out.

If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves.”

― Thomas Sowell

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves.”

― Thomas Sowell

On that basis the non voters are the heroes.

6 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

On that basis the non voters are the heroes.

Correct! How many times have you heard "don't blame me I didn't vote for them" 😕

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

468,049     signatures thus far 

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT

AGE  UK  Petition   

Malc

469,027  signatures now

Starmer has more or less confirmed in the House today that he's quite content to see several 000's of OAPs die this winter thru' Govt DETERMINED action to cancel the

WINTER FUEL PAYMENT

Malc

Starmer is not as daft as he looks. He has a "win-win" situation with the cut in the fuel subsidy. Let's do the sums: If, for example, half a million poor cold pensioners pop their clogs this winter. The savings on NHS services/prescriptions/care homes etc is immense. Then the after shock of all those liabilities biting the dust: sack a few nurses who would have cared for them, shut a few homes, sell their assets to get more CGT and death duties.  It's a no-brainer unless you happen to have a conscience or a Christian attitude.   On second thoughts a minor nuclear accident in Grange over sands ( where all the pensioners live(d) ) might do the trick?  Hmmm!🤔.

Are there no nice people in politics?

5 minutes ago, GMB said:

Starmer is not as daft as he looks. He has a "win-win" situation with the cut in the fuel subsidy. Let's do the sums: If, for example, half a million poor cold pensioners pop their clogs this winter. The savings on NHS services/prescriptions/care homes etc is immense. Then the after shock of all those liabilities biting the dust: sack a few nurses who would have cared for them, shut a few homes, sell their assets to get more CGT and death duties.  It's a no-brainer unless you happen to have a conscience or a Christian attitude.   On second thoughts a minor nuclear accident in Grange over sands ( where all the pensioners live(d) ) might do the trick?  Hmmm!🤔.

Are there no nice people in politics?

Let’s see if these 335 new MPs have any sort of conscience ……. I doubt any Labour 🎉🥳 ones will do other than toe the “ death wishing “ Party Line 

469,683. Signatories thus far 

Malc 

38 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Let’s see if these 335 new MPs have any sort of conscience

I think a vote on the matter is being (or in the process of trying to be)   blocked by the labour Obergruppenführer..   Seems a bit like a Richard Potato  ?

From the daily Mail --- Labour set to block House of Commons vote on plans to strip the winter fuel allowance for 10 million pensioners leaving Tories' angry as ministers accused of 'hiding' from scrutiny

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Let’s see if these 335 new MPs have any sort of conscience ……. I doubt any Labour 🎉🥳 ones will do other than toe the “ death wishing “ Party Line 

469,683. Signatories thus far 

Malc 

Your assumption appears to be correct Malc given the response from my new labour MP

IMG_1947.png

• Like 2

Have you noticed when they are questioned about the winter fuel fiasco they all repeat the same scripted BS almost word for word verbatim.. Difficult choice blah blah, Someone has to pay and it ain't me blah blah. Let's get the old gits in their wallet blah - Sorry I made that one up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GMB said:

they all repeat the same scripted BS almost word for word verbatim..

To be fair, Gray, all the established Parties do that.  It’s when their Members go ‘off piste’ that they start to fall apart - as the last incumbents demonstrated so well!

For example, I’ve noticed that the latest bunch have to chant ‘£20 Billion Black Hole’ what ever they may have been asked.  This apparently helps to justify making some Pensioners poorer, but doesn’t really explain how the Black Hole is further reduced by buying off some Unions with unconditional settlements in excess of those recommended by independent bodies.

If you’re suggesting that this is tedious and patronising, then I agree.  But it may be because a Selection Board chose its prospective candidates for their willingness to follow a Party Line, and not their intellect and independent spirit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how we can mobilise   10,000,000   OAPs to demonstrate outside their and their local Labour MPs Constituency Offices ..........  anyone a good line in zimmers and mobility scooters to send around this Nation   🤣😂

470, 394  signatures thus far 

Malc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Your assumption appears to be correct Malc given the response from my new labour MP

IMG_1947.png

I got the same thou verbally from my new labour mp, as I know the mp very well. Like me, he said you're wasting your time 

29 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

I got the same thou verbally from my new labour mp, as I know the mp very well. Like me, he said you're wasting your time 

This simply shows the total disrespect this Labour Govt has for AGE UK and 10mn OAPs and moreso the Voice of the People 

This Govts disregard will, with some certainty, come back to haunt them AND the local Labour MPs who are too pathetic to be, should I say, Revolting ……..

OAPs will I’m sure find methodology to remedy this 🤔 🤞🤞🤞

Malc 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

This simply shows the total disrespect this Labour Govt has for AGE UK and 10mn OAPs and moreso the Voice of the People 

This Govts disregard will, with some certainty, come back to haunt them AND the local Labour MPs who are too pathetic to be, should I say, Revolting ……..

OAPs will I’m sure find methodology to remedy this 🤔 🤞🤞🤞

Malc 

They have all complained to sir Keir, but he's not listening and told them to move on subject closed 

It’s quite complex legislation, some of which through precedent applies only to the ‘character’ of a candidate (as I understand it), but there’s a very obvious reason why the oft parroted “£22bn black hole” is a ‘surprise’ to Labour after the election campaign…

Our local council leader wrote to our new Labour MP about ‘cast iron’ commitments she made during the campaign, and which were on her website (but which disappeared the day after the election - God bless the internet Time Machine 😂). Essentially he was pointing out that she may have committed an offence if ‘she was aware’ of post-election policy that contradicted her commitments during the campaign if she implied other candidates wouldn’t support or champion those causes, 

The Representation of the People Act

Section 106(1) of the Representation of the People Act 1983 (the “RPA”), provides that:

“A person who, or any director of any body or association corporate which—

(a) before or during an election,

(b) for the purpose of affecting the return of any candidate at the election,
makes or publishes any false statement of fact in relation to the candidate’s personal character or conduct shall be guilty of an illegal practice, unless he can show that he had reasonable grounds for believing, and did believe, that statement to be true.”

A person convicted of an illegal practice under the RPA is liable to an unlimited fine. Subsection (3) gives the court power to grant an injunction to prevent any repetition of the statement.

Where a petition is brought to an Election Court under the RPA, and a candidate who has been elected is found by the Election Court to have been guilty of an illegal practice, then pursuant to section 159(1) of the PRA, the election is void.  

The ingredients for an illegal practice are that: 

(a) a person makes or publishes a statement;

(b) the statement relates to a candidate;

(c) it must be a statement of fact;

(d) the statement must be false;

(e) the statement is made in relation to a candidate’s personal character or conduct;

(f) the statement is made for the purpose of affecting the election of the candidate; and

(g) the statement is made before or during an election.

• Like 1

There’s quite simply, nearly half a million signed this AGE UK. Petition and that’s a fearsome number that the Labour Party and Govt and ALL those supporting will have to face come that Day of Reckoning …….. 

Malc 

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

There’s quite simply, nearly half a million signed this AGE UK. Petition and that’s a fearsome number that the Labour Party and Govt and ALL those supporting will have to face come that Day of Reckoning …….. 

Malc 

The mp's won't care they have 5 years of earning £91,346, plus expenses, and then just move on. Those that get re-elected will be laughing and for some they will stay on the gravy train for life 

that's £4,864.79 take home monthly and the payback of the student loan where applicable 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Malc 

I’ve been on this planet for quite a while, and have studied politics and political history. I can’t remember - other than Liz Truss - any newly elected Prime Minister losing popularity quite so quickly as Keir Starmer.

Partly that’s the ‘internet age’ with everybody wanting everything immediately, partly it’s the magnification of every little thing these days…but I think mainly it’s because of the limited actual mandate he was given and the choices he and his Government have made to date. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links