Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

LBX AWD experiences?

Go to solution Solved by Tel,

I'm torn between going for AWD (because I've had it for many years in many forms and like the confidence it gives in the wet / ice / mud) and FWD (cheaper / quicker / more boot space).

So far I have not found an AWD demonstrator which is frustrating me, and haven't come across any reviews that actually seem to have driven it - they comment on the difference in spec (fuel consumption / 0-60 time / suspension / boot space) but don't seem to do any real comparisons of what it means in practice.

Boot space I can work out for myself, but not actual driving experience.  Hence asking those on here who have bought / actually managed to drive the AWD (and ideally the FWD for comparison):

1. Do you notice that it is slower?  My experience in the FWD is that it feels pleasantly nippy, much more so than the 9.2s would imply.  Is that feeling maintained in the AWD or does the extra weight make it feel more sluggish?
  2. Do you notice an improved ride from the different rear suspension?  I've found the FWD to be much better around town than I expected but a bit less good on poor motorway surfaces - the opposite to my expectation from the reviews.  Does the AWD rear suspension help with smoothness at speed, or is that just an inevitable consequence of it being a small car?
  3. Anyone had any experience on slippery surfaces yet?  Wet cobbles, grass car parks etc?

And one general question.  I know that e.g. turning off the speed limit "bonging" has to be done every time the car is started.  Do all of the safety system personalisation settings need to be re-set every time, or is it just this one? 

I know I'm getting bogged down in the detail here but it frustrates me not to be able to drive it for myself before risking an order!

Not driven the LBX but other Toyota/Lexus vehicles that have the same rear suspension setup as the FWD LBX have a worse ride for the rear passengers, the people in the front won’t notice much difference. 

• Like 1

• Solution

My AWD performed well on a very wet Park Trail.

The Rear Suspension improves handling as well as ride.

The Speed Warning is NOT irritating.

No slower in reality.

Tel

• Like 1

If I had to choose between AWD or All Season tyres, I'd go for the tyres...

It depends what you want the car for, primarily.  We chose the LBX as a second car and wanted something nippy and easy to drive and park when out and about on relatively short journeys.  So we went for the FWD because it suited our needs and the Takumi trim came in under the £40K threshold for luxury car tax.  The boot size was a factor and I am glad we didn't give up any space (it's small enough) for the questionable benefits of an AWD.  

However, we traded in a UX Takumi AWD, and enjoyed the excellent handling it offered.

• Like 1

My last 4 Lexus have been AWD & the confidence you get on a snowy escarpment is great to have.

!0 mm of the white stuff can cause chaos in both Derby & Worcester main road inclines.

Some fit Winter tyres to further secure confidence.

Tel

Choices, choices.  Thank you for these responses - much appreciated.

Your responses seem to indicate that the handling / road holding benefits of AWD are real and noticeable in practice.  I take the point about tyres but can add them to either version. 

The boot space though - my next move is to "amend" a FWD one in the showroom so that I can see what the measurements actually mean in practice...

I ordered AWD but due to an error was supplied FWD, I noticed as soon as I went onto a track (my hobby is coppicing) when the front wheels broke away on a grassy section. My previous NX was ok on road tyres but phenomenal on cross climates, I wanted a small luxurious AWD a niche the LBX has created. I’m willing to sacrifice 6” of boot depth for the AWD. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links