Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Extended warranty with a service, seems to me to be scam.

Lexus GSF, 2017, current mileage 49,000.  Is the extended warranty associated to having your Lexus serviced by a main Lexus dealer worth having.

MOT last year at 39,000 miles had an advisory for an oil mist on near side front shock absorber, not covered by Lexus extended warranty.

Last week I had four new tyres fitted, front offside wheel badly corroded on the rim where the tyre bead seals to the wheel, so bad it is losing air.  Not covered by Lexus extended warranty.  My dealer said I had done well, the GSF wheels usually start to corrode after five years, apparently the inside of the wheels have no powder coating which is born out by the pictures the tyre fitters took.  Replacement Lexus wheel is £2,359.13 inc VAT plus fitting and I am sure they will need to replace the pressure sensing module.  I am having all four refurbished including new powder coating to the complete wheel, inside and out for about £100 a wheel.

Interestingly the T’s & C’s for the Lexus warranty for all models have a section “Maintenance parts e.g. parts that have to be replaced periodically” and items listed are not included in the warranty,  wheels are listed in that section.  Why do wheels need periodic replacement? I have never replaced a wheel on any car I have driven in the last 40 years including 50,000 miles a year company cars.

It is well worth looking through the T’s & C’s to see what is not covered.  I am seriously questioning the validity of the warranty and whether it is worth the paper it is printed on, and is it worth having my car serviced by Lexus.

I personally think that Lexus service coast are quite reasonable compared to other manufactures, I also think that potential buyers of high end cars will be looking for a full Lexus service history i know i would.

When my car was 3 years old i looked at extending the warranty, they wanted £1800 a year as the 2 for 1 offer was not available on the LC, even if it was this was still £900 a year, so the free warranty when having the car serviced at Lexus so for me is a no brainer.  

• Like 6

The only way to consider Lexus Relax is on the basis that it will generally cover BIG issues, but don't expect it to cover wear and tear.

• Like 3

Does anybody know any case with 5.0 engine blown in Lexus under warranty?

Any other big issues that saved £££ to owners? 
I’m just curious if people really use this warranty for something serious or maybe some statistics with failures available?

1 hour ago, wendle said:

When my car was 3 years old i looked at extending the warranty, they wanted £1800 a year as the 2 for 1 offer was not available on the LC, even if it was this was still £900 a year, so the free warranty when having the car serviced at Lexus so for me is a no brainer.  

The paid for extended warranty covered more items though - e.g. shocks (although they wouldn't replace at a misting stage, only if it got to the point of being an MOT failure).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DamianLEX said:

Does anybody know any case with 5.0 engine blown in Lexus under warranty?

Any other big issues that saved £££ to owners? 
I’m just curious if people really use this warranty for something serious or maybe some statistics with failures available?

I’ve never heard of the V8 going bang.

However… Lexus relax has saved me thousands on numerous occasions. Won’t go in to details.

If you consider the cost of labour at a main dealer, having Lexus Relax does make you…… relax a little.

I honestly think with modern cars, I wouldn’t sleep if I was running such an expensive piece of machinery without a manufacturer’s warranty.

In summary, Relax isn’t perfect, but I’m bloody glad I have it. How much would a warranty for a BMW M car be?

• Like 4

It's clearly not a scam as you are under no obligation to use Lexus dealers to have you car serviced or repaired.

Whether it's value for money is a different question.

I do think Lexus could offer some form of paid for enhanced warranty that would cover items excluded from Relax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthews said:

Lexus GSF, 2017, current mileage 49,000.  Is the extended warranty associated to having your Lexus serviced by a main Lexus dealer worth having.

MOT last year at 39,000 miles had an advisory for an oil mist on near side front shock absorber, not covered by Lexus extended warranty.

Last week I had four new tyres fitted, front offside wheel badly corroded on the rim where the tyre bead seals to the wheel, so bad it is losing air.  Not covered by Lexus extended warranty.  My dealer said I had done well, the GSF wheels usually start to corrode after five years, apparently the inside of the wheels have no powder coating which is born out by the pictures the tyre fitters took.  Replacement Lexus wheel is £2,359.13 inc VAT plus fitting and I am sure they will need to replace the pressure sensing module.  I am having all four refurbished including new powder coating to the complete wheel, inside and out for about £100 a wheel.

Interestingly the T’s & C’s for the Lexus warranty for all models have a section “Maintenance parts e.g. parts that have to be replaced periodically” and items listed are not included in the warranty,  wheels are listed in that section.  Why do wheels need periodic replacement? I have never replaced a wheel on any car I have driven in the last 40 years including 50,000 miles a year company cars.

It is well worth looking through the T’s & C’s to see what is not covered.  I am seriously questioning the validity of the warranty and whether it is worth the paper it is printed on, and is it worth having my car serviced by Lexus.

I Personally Think its a Good Deal from lexus and you will will Probably find that Nearly all Garages include These Exclusions in there Extended Warranties on All Cars which are Covered under the Terms And Conditions of the Warranty.. But I Suppose its on Terms of how you Perceive the Warranty .ie.. Some People Might think its Ok To Exclude Wear and Tear problems That Arise With There Car And others may Not...!!! My Opinion Only Of Course..!!

• Like 1

If we dare to compare Lexus reliability to BMW then any warranty is great whatever it contains. Leaving German garbage aside, I think relax warranty it’s worth only if we compare parts/labour to dealer prices.

If we use competent mechanic like I recently did for my ISF then I cannot justify Lexus product.

Also when I had RCF and serviced it at Lexus Cardiff, some small issues arised during my ownership (2 years).They did everything they could to fob me off every single time I complained about something.
Fox example, I had a small issue with seat sensor, they blamed I must have driven car with open door. That was disgusting 🤮 

Lexus Relax is worth it - and whilst it's an 'extension' of warranty, it shouldn't be confused with the usual big sum required for extra warranty cover which excludes a tonne of things that owners often expect and turn out to be a waste of money. 

For people who are already going to the dealer for a service - or not saving much by going to an independent - this is literally something more for nothing more. So by that, I'd say it's worth it. 

For normal 'Extended Warranties' at large, well... this clip sums up how smart they are as an investment... lol 

But in all fairness, dealer customer service and manufacturers standing over their products and fixing failures is less about the brand, and more about customer insight and persistence.

In my experience alone, I had a DS3, bought used, 3.5 years old (out of new car warranty) with a known issue of corroding alloys well set in by the time I first saw the car. I took it to my local dealer three times along with calls to customer service who said NO twice. On the third try, they agreed to order four new alloys at no cost to me. Had I gave up, and concluded 'oh well, they won't fix it, out of warranty' I'd be here saying how crappy that company is or whatever. But if you complain multiple times about the same issue, business processes dictate it goes into the hands of a senior customer support representative who can and will look into the history and give it the green light. 

Bought a Fiat, two years old from Motorpoint, still in new car warranty. The parcel shelf was broken (clearly from being rammed into place), complained to my local dealer. No questions asked, gave me a new one. No cost. Month later, checking the brakes, noticed severe oil wet under the engine, main seal leaking... told the dealer, no arguing, car was away for a few days, courtesy car provided for a week fixed without issue. Positive experience. No arguing needed.  Then others on another forum talk about how poor that company / dealer network has been. 

Then my last Toyota Avensis - still one year left of new car warranty, air con screen LCD cracking - it did look like it had been hit. Mentioned it to the parts guy at my local dealer, took a look at it and said "there's no way Toyota will approve that, it's clearly accidental damage".  Went away... compiled a report of every used 2015+ Avensis for sale on AutoTrader, about 70% of them had the same issue at varying extents. Screenshotted / included the link to each ad. Stated this is clearly a defect.  Sent this to Toyota via it's Facebook account and got a call from my local dealer asking me to bring it in for a replacement, no cost, invoice showed something like £1,242  for the little panel and buttons.  I could be here saying "new car warranty from Toyota sucks" but if you argue your case, they will budge eventually

In contract, I have a friend who had a 2019 Hyundai i30N Fastback - the fast one over £32k new. One of the worst build quality cars on the road, in its class for sure, in my opinion. He bough it, like 2k miles ex-demo car from a main dealer in NI (CR Morrow - joke of a dealer, but also joke of a car maker). Discovered about 1.5 weeks in that the entire engine bay had its foam bits and shielding chewed away by mice, presumably, the car was sitting around in showrooms and yards for months untouched and mice moved into the engine bay.  He took it back, and the absolute bell ends at CR Morrow told him 'the car wasn't like that when it left here, prove it' attitude.  I offered my help at getting it sorted, but unfortunately he took their little goodwill offer of free service credit...  Who knows long term, what the extent of that insulation material could be doing but I'm sure if the engineers could save as much as 2p per car by not including it, they'd have done so... Or who knows the full extent of what was chewed away that isn't obvious.  My friend liked the car anyway, kept it. Next thing .. few months later, some valve in the high pressure fuel system fails. Something that absolutely is not a service item nor consumable - Hyundai's fantastic 'long warranty' didn't cover it... different main dealer argued with him. Car sat for a few months in their lot gathering dust. Eventually they threatened him to move it or they'd start charging him (JC Halliday - ..another stellar NI car dealer... sarcasm who had recently lost it's very fancy DS Automobiles showroom / franchise likely due to this sort of service...). He eventually forked up a few hundred for the part and for his mechanic to fix it.  Until this year he had it in for a service (non dealer) and was informed the rear shocks were done on it... genuine cost something like £800 to replace, can't remember if that was the pair or for one side. He finally decided to cut his losses and sell the damn thing. You'd never find that sort of premature failure on a Focus ST or Golf GTI at the end of the day, and if you did, they'd sort it for you especially a buyer of those models.  I maintain if he could have worked with me versus Hyundai and the dealerships he'd have had every one of those issues sorted. He didn't though... bought the only thing on the road worse than a Hyundai .. a modern MG. Kept it for one month before realising how god awful it was. He's got a Focus now - nice enough car, and relatively bulletproof compared to any Hyundai / MG which says a lot. 

5 hours ago, Matthews said:

If this happened in the first three years under the main warranty, you'd 100% be covered or able to make the case that in absence of any other obvious signs of abusive driving, that this falls short of the quality of a new car and it'd be covered whether the dealer liked it or not. Remember you can go to Lexus and sort the dealers out that way too. It's worked for me with DS and Toyota.  For a 2017, unfortunately, there's not much you can do. A paid extended conventional warranty wouldn't cover this usually, nor will the Relax Warranty. But if you have other reasons to be servicing at a dealership (convenience, customer service, recourse, Lexus backing, genuine parts) at no extra cost, it can still prove to be useful in the future with other parts that are covered. 

FWIW, in my area, every single one of the local mechanics are trash / liars and frauds. The only happy customers they have are people who have no basic idea about cars or what things cost or require, and cough up the cash. It's probably the same across the country. I stand by that with dealerships, you can run crying to the manufacturer who will often at times simply rectify it at their cost to maintain their image - and who knows, behind the scenes might punish the franchise dealer if they are getting more complaints than are acceptable. You're out of luck if 'Dave' down the road says he didn't botch you timing belt job and now your car won't start.. 

5 hours ago, Matthews said:

I mean, all the stuff you mention wouldnt be covered by warranty anyway. 

In most marques, anything suspension related is basically wear and tear. 

The corrosion at the bead is usually due to acid wheel cleaners / cheap car washes. 

56 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

FWIW, in my area, every single one of the local mechanics are trash / liars and frauds.

That's my experience too and I think the ones that were any good are rapidly disappearing.

8 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

That's my experience too and I think the ones that were any good are rapidly disappearing.

I honestly wonder if good ones exist... My very limited experience of contractors is much the same to be honest. Unless you have somewhat of an idea about what you're asking for or what the issue might be (even if you admit your knowledge isn't superb on the topic) they seem to also print money off of your back. It's frustrating that one can't just have faith and depend on our skilled professions 80% of the time. 

8 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

If we dare to compare Lexus reliability to BMW then any warranty is great whatever it contains. Leaving German garbage aside, I think relax warranty it’s worth only if we compare parts/labour to dealer prices.

If we use competent mechanic like I recently did for my ISF then I cannot justify Lexus product.

Also when I had RCF and serviced it at Lexus Cardiff, some small issues arised during my ownership (2 years).They did everything they could to fob me off every single time I complained about something.
Fox example, I had a small issue with seat sensor, they blamed I must have driven car with open door. That was disgusting 🤮 

Lexus Newcastle couldn’t have been more helpful if they tried.  I’ve used the warranty once because I had a suspicion the drivers seat rear section heater was playing up.  Without question, they put in a request with Lexus HQ and replaced the whole seat back for free.  Will have cost a good chunk if I wanted to buy new…

I’m not sure of the relationship dealers have with Lexus and how much ‘trust’ is involved.  I assume that a dealer recommends that something is/isn’t a warranty repair and then request approval from Lexus UK for authorisation.  Having a dealer on side must make all the difference….

I too think that the more you push it, the easier it is.  It’s not a dead certainty but dealers and Lexus don’t have the resources to actively manage every single query.  I can imagine if you make enough fuss they will attempt to appease you to make the problem go away.

8 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Lexus Newcastle couldn’t have been more helpful if they tried.  I’ve used the warranty once because I had a suspicion the drivers seat rear section heater was playing up.  Without question, they put in a request with Lexus HQ and replaced the whole seat back for free.  Will have cost a good chunk if I wanted to buy new…

I’m not sure of the relationship dealers have with Lexus and how much ‘trust’ is involved.  I assume that a dealer recommends that something is/isn’t a warranty repair and then request approval from Lexus UK for authorisation.  Having a dealer on side must make all the difference….

I too think that the more you push it, the easier it is.  It’s not a dead certainty but dealers and Lexus don’t have the resources to actively manage every single query.  I can imagine if you make enough fuss they will attempt to appease you to make the problem go away.

X2 on lexus newcastle. Used warranty twice, no fuss.

though the management has changed recently since they moved to scotswood road 😐

lexus relax is certainly different to the warranty they used to offer where you have to pay for it. Its still worth it imo, but don’t expect it to pay for wear and tear.

Relax is definitely worth it. The price difference in servicing costs is marginal vs say an indie. For that marginal difference you get an additional year of warranty on most critical parts plus as most lexuses are hybrids you get a hybrid health check which gives a year of additional warranty on the hybrid system as well.

On the IS sub forums i have read of people who have used relax to replace waterpumps, seized brake calipers and also fix issues with ac servo motors which is an expensive dashboard out job. While typically lexuses dont go wrong when they do they do cost a lot to fix. 

Also refurbing all your wheels for £400 is a no brainer vs getting a new one under warranty only to have the same issue a few years down the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cactus said:

X2 on lexus newcastle. Used warranty twice, no fuss.

though the management has changed recently since they moved to scotswood road 😐

lexus relax is certainly different to the warranty they used to offer where you have to pay for it. Its still worth it imo, but don’t expect it to pay for wear and tear.

I was there last Tuesday for the major service and repair.  Team still seem fine, though there are a few new faces in the team….

The facility isn’t as nice as at Silverlink though, can’t see the service area for example…

@Jgtcracer too many new faces. And Faye has left 😞 

Cant compare facility lol. They were sharing with Aston martin previously 😂

x3 on Newcastle Lexus.  Used them for 7 years on the ISF and the GSF and had no problems whatsoever with the service and any warranty issues.... (there weren't any.....)

Most used car warranties, and those out of Manufacturers new car warranty period are insured policies run by 3rd parties, and endorsed by the manufacturer.  The cover is not the same as the new car warranty.

I'd expect if the wheel has corroded or for instance the carbon trim delamination issues on the GSF under the original 3 year warranty I'd expect these would be replaced.  Under the relax or even a Lexus paid warranty it wouldn't be covered. However if something big goes pop - I'm sure a FLSH and the relax warranty would go a long way to fix it. And hence continuing with the service regime at Lexus is worth it.

I needed an estate car earlier this year, and in a moment of madness bought an Audi b8 RS4. Lovely thing. Low miles, FASH 1 previous owner - but went in with my eyes wide open. Thought about an Audi approved warranty - as the car still can be covered - £2500. per year. This is for the full cover and would cover the DRC suspension. There is a named component option which would have been £1600 but I think a slush fund to be honest is the better option and risk.  Guess you pays your money......  I don't rely on it as my only means of getting around so if it breaks, there's no rush in getting it fixed. It might have been a different story if it was my daily.

37 minutes ago, Cactus said:

@Killysprintyou sold your gsf?

Went April 2023. 
bought a new 911 carerra T which was to be my daily.

but needed a dog carrier as our Ipace packed up again, and its replacement was delayed. So bought the RS4.

must admit miss the GSF.  Would have another 100%.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 10:28 AM, Matthews said:

Try looking at “what is covered” and once done google “any’” bought at time of sale warranty’s from the many out there. 

The results speak for themselves !, yes Lexus know on balance they will be in pocket as the kit is so bloody reliable, but on occasion they will have to suffer the “big” bill. 

As the man said ……… do you feel lucky ?

2 hours ago, Killysprint said:

Went April 2023. 
bought a new 911 carerra T which was to be my daily.

but needed a dog carrier as our Ipace packed up again, and its replacement was delayed. So bought the RS4.

must admit miss the GSF.  Would have another 100%.

Really!? After the flavour of 992 911, there is no going back.

8 hours ago, Cactus said:

@Jgtcracer too many new faces. And Faye has left 😞 

Cant compare facility lol. They were sharing with Aston martin previously 😂

Their service levels were as good as any I received at silverlink but agree about the venue.  As I live 90 mins away I booked a while you wait service and the sales team really wanted the RCF for stock but told them unless they have a track edition it’s a no!

Nice team though, I think they previously mentioned Faye and Terry went to Ferrari…..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links