Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Drivers door mirror shock!

A nice motorhome driver thought that it would be a good idea to allow his door mirror to have an altercation with mine this morning (NX450). This resulted not only in folding my door mirror in towards the window but also shattering the glass.

I was on a busy winding B road & couldn’t stop immediately but when I did there was no sign of the motorhome so I though ‘it’s just one of those unfortunate incidents, i’ll get the glass replaced.’ 
When I did stop approx 300yds further on I could see that the assembly back plate was missing. Walking back to try to find it would have been too dangerous (narrow winding B road, no pavement & loads of traffic in both directions) so I carried on to my appointment.

The car goes in for its 2nd service  tomorrow so I thought I’d call in at the local dealers on the way home. Technician looks at the door mirror assembly & told me that various locating lugs are missing so it is going to need a complete mirror assembly & glass.

Now if that wasn’t bad enough worse was to come……………HOW MUCH???????????????????????????????????????????

No wonder car insurance premiums are what they are …………..£2100 😠😠😠😠

I will be going through my dashcam footage this evening👍

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

It’s probably all the other gubbins like lane assist which is also integrated into the mirror, can’t even get a price on Amayama as it is showing “Out of Stock” 

Just hope you have the registration of the 3rd party and it shows their road position on dash cam to make a claim.

IMG_1894.png

I was taking a hire van back to the depot on a narrow lane in January when one of our travelling friends doing 60 on my side of the rd took out my mirror.....£100 and that ground my gears!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scotlex said:

I thought it would be expensive BUT not £2100 expensive 🙈🙈

Does that include fitting and painting by Lexus? Looking at online pricing for the whole mirror assembly I would have thought so? My wife had someone take out the back cover on her Yaris door mirror while she was parked - the cover wasn't too expensive but it had to be painted which added to the replacement cost. Fortunately nothing else was broken in that case though and the new one just clipped back on.

Bonkers bonkers bonkers the cost of modern car day motoring ……. £2100 for a door mirror set-up ……. can buy a Ls400  for that let alone an ordinary old Lexus and Toyota ……. makes no bloooodyvsense whatsoever 

No doubt a Porsche or Bentley or RR door mirror starts at £10k whatever NEW ….. Main Dealer painted and fitted …… but put out to their local buddy garage to do 

NUTS NUTS NUTS what we’re ( or some are, not me ) prepared to accept in car running costs 

Cest le vie 😇

Malc 

• Like 6

Spare parts prices are a scandal, pure blackmail! It would be interesting to calculate the price of a complete  car made up with spare parts...£500.000 for an NX? (Without putting it together). 

I can buy a new complete electric shaver for 10 pounds more than a spare shaving head. 

• Like 6

Couple of years ago someone pinched one of the exhaust tips from my RAV, they have no function, just decorative. Toyota charged me £100 for a new one; its just a bit of chrome plated pressed steel, probably costs £15 at most to produce. Its just a rip off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Does that include fitting and painting by Lexus? Looking at online pricing for the whole mirror assembly I would have thought so? My wife had someone take out the back cover on her Yaris door mirror while she was parked - the cover wasn't too expensive but it had to be painted which added to the replacement cost. Fortunately nothing else was broken in that case though and the new one just clipped back on.

No painting required, I think that the only changeable colour part is the back plate which is supplied ready coloured. The rest is Matt black.

Labour was quoted at 30 minutes to fit. The charge for labour was waived when they asked for payment & a 10% loyalty discount applied to the part cost.

Still trying to persuade the wife to sell a kidney though to pay for it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve2006 said:

It’s probably all the other gubbins like lane assist which is also integrated into the mirror, can’t even get a price on Amayama as it is showing “Out of Stock” 

Just hope you have the registration of the 3rd party and it shows their road position on dash cam to make a claim.

IMG_1894.png

I suspect you are 100% correct 👍

Rather than supply just the housing, back plate & glass and transfer all of the wiring and parts from the old to the new housing, they supply a complete unit with all of the wizardry ready fitted so it is just a matter of plug & play. Hence the 30 minute fitting time.

Just as aside, if anyone ever needs a backplate they are £77+vat, and the glass is £500+vat.

I would think the mirrors are the same across many other models including the RX450h and the NX300h of the previous gen. 

Might be worth just checking. 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I would think the mirrors are the same across many other models including the RX450h and the NX300h of the previous gen. 

Might be worth just checking. 

Definitely the same as the gen4 RX 👍

Nothing that looks conclusive apart from the car following clearly swerving to the edge of the road.

Unfortunately I hadn’t re-adjusted the front camera angle after removing & replacing it a few weeks ago 😠

• Sad 2

Paul, this is scary stuff….

Please don’t answer if you prefer not to but for that amount of cost, why not claim on your own insurance? I would hope that the loss of no claims bonus and higher future premiums would cost a lot less than the mirror.

• Like 1

Paul hi. Just thinking aloud here

might some sort of 3D Printing be available to help ??

Malc 

13 hours ago, hintonwood said:

Paul, this is scary stuff….

Please don’t answer if you prefer not to but for that amount of cost, why not claim on your own insurance? I would hope that the loss of no claims bonus and higher future premiums would cost a lot less than the mirror.

Ken, that is what we are doing 👍

Sods law that we only increased the voluntary excess last year but, as you say, one would hope that future premiums wouldn’t be greatly affected by it. Shouldn’t affect NCB since that is protected.

We will see, since insurance renewal is late Sept.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Paul hi. Just thinking aloud here

might some sort of 3D Printing be available to help ??

Malc 

TBH Malc I’m not sure how easy it would be to transfer all of the mirror internals in to a 3D printed housing. I didn’t get time to examine it since the car was booked in for servicing the morning after & the dealer could get one delivered that morning.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 7:04 PM, RXtoNX said:

No painting required, I think that the only changeable colour part is the back plate which is supplied ready coloured. The rest is Matt black.

Labour was quoted at 30 minutes to fit. The charge for labour was waived when they asked for payment & a 10% loyalty discount applied to the part cost.

Still trying to persuade the wife to sell a kidney though to pay for it!

I'm looking for an OSF wing mirror glass, currently getting quoted over £500 for a piece of glass!  Any ideas where I can get a much cheaper one?

32 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I'm looking for an OSF wing mirror glass, currently getting quoted over £500 for a piece of glass!  Any ideas where I can get a much cheaper one?

Bharat hi ……., is the original glass still in situ and just cracked whatever ? 

Malc 

4 hours ago, Buckster said:

I was told by the dealership that the glass alone was over £500 due to some fancy liquid coating or backing which makes all the gizmos work in the glass, blind spot monitoring, auto dimming, heating & so on.

Spock, beam me back to 1970 when motoring was free from added gizmos and free from EU intervention and when you actually had to drive the cars 🙏

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had a conversation with my dealer a few months ago regards the price of the mirrors..(mine has pano view so has cameras). Was told about £1400 just for the part, which would need painting, fitting and the pano view all setting up again.

I now have front and rear dash cameras.

When the vehicle is parked, and I’m away from the vehicle, I have come up with a nifty way of keeping the front facing camera active.

I carry a Noco GB jump pack in the car, and it fits nicely in the box between the drivers and passenger seat. I just run a cable from the Noco to the dashcam to provide a power supply.

A bit fiddly, but I only do it when I feel the car is in a vulnerable place.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, rafarules said:

I had a conversation with my dealer a few months ago regards the price of the mirrors..(mine has pano view so has cameras). Was told about £1400 just for the part, which would need painting, fitting and the pano view all setting up again.

I now have front and rear dash cameras.

When the vehicle is parked, and I’m away from the vehicle, I have come up with a nifty way of keeping the front facing camera active.

I carry a Noco GB jump pack in the car, and it fits nicely in the box between the drivers and passenger seat. I just run a cable from the Noco to the dashcam to provide a power supply.

A bit fiddly, but I only do it when I feel the car is in a vulnerable place.

And that's why insurance is rising so fast - a few years ago a damaged door mirror didn't warrant an insurance claim unless bodywork was also damaged, but now when it costs £000's for what is not an uncommon occurance one has to make a claim. New cars costs have ballooned with the addition of all the tech (much of it not needed and in many cases largely unused) and with the knock on rise in insurance, motoring costs are quickly getting away from many people with little public transport options to speak of! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links