Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Favourite Alcoholic drink.

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

TBH Vlad, a cellar of 250-300 bottles is no big deal in my neck of the woods, which is a wine-growing area.  In fact, many houses have proper below-ground cellaring facilities for thousands of bottles.  In my own case I am limited to three alcoves of single-bottle depth, each sufficient for approx. 100 bottles, built into the stonework and dating from c. 1500-1550.  I attach a photo of one of them, and I think you’ll agree it would be a shame to leave it empty.  Yes, sooner or later, all the bottles I lay up will have been consumed at an average minimum rate of one a day.  The bottles are usually almost immediately replaced, not out of any urgency on my part but because looking at full shelves gives me a feeling of contentment and, perhaps, of some sort of security. 

IMG_0086.thumb.jpeg.567762a20a03f4473e7759828759e76b.jpeg

I wish I lived in a castle!  The steel doors make me smile, I wonder if a bottle will fit through them….

3 hours ago, TraktorDriver said:

Water is the real adult drink. Followed by a proper coffee made with proper beans in a proper Barista Coffee machine.

If all that fails, a Pinã Colada will suffice for me. 😅🤣

i am looking for a new machine, full automatic bean. Tempting to go for Jura but dont know enough about them to justify that amount yet. Do you have any advise?

41 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

i am looking for a new machine, full automatic bean. …

Strongly recommend a DeLonghi top-of-the-range Magnifica Plus model, retailing in Italy at around €850 full-price.  Mine is now around five years old and is still going strong although I suppose the company would claim to have made improvements since. 

IMG_0089.thumb.jpeg.a94818d4a86d224036ad6e2e3fbcde3b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

…  The steel doors make me smile, I wonder if a bottle will fit through them….

No, whoever designed the doors made sure bottles would not fit through them and thus defeat the object of locking them away in the first place, presumably to thwart temptation on the part of thirsty members of the staff.  The original lock is unfortunately no longer present and I have no plans to replace it in case I would lose the key. 

• Like 1

Now that raises an interesting issue. If you have a good wine cellar you need to keep a close eye on what is ready for drinking or getting past it. A lot of wine made nowadays is not designed to be kept and aged like the older wines were, so one has to be very careful.

A friend who was moving house asked us to join him to drink the remains of his cellar before he left. He had some haute cotes de beaune rouge 1976 from a co-op. I told him that it would be past its sell by date as it is not a fine wine destined to be aged . We went round and he opened a few bottles - let's just say sherry/ vinegar/ lost all fruit/ garbage. He was not amused. Moral of the story -  you have a good cellar - manage it!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GMB said:

…  If you have a good wine cellar you need to keep a close eye on what is ready for drinking or getting past it. … …… you have a good cellar - manage it!

I could’nt agree more.

On occasion you need to be a bit ruthless in overcoming a natural reluctance to open fine, rare and possibly costly bottles that might be getting past their peak but that you know you’ll never be lucky enough to see again.

In such cases it is as well to try and ensure that the food the wine is going to accompany won’t be disappointing.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rabbers said:

TBH Vlad, a cellar of 250-300 bottles is no big deal in my neck of the woods, which is a wine-growing area.  In fact, many houses have proper below-ground cellaring facilities for thousands of bottles.  In my own case I am limited to three alcoves of single-bottle depth, each sufficient for approx. 100 bottles, built into the stonework and dating from c. 1500-1550.  I attach a photo of one of them, and I think you’ll agree it would be a shame to leave it empty.  Yes, sooner or later, all the bottles I lay up will have been consumed at an average minimum rate of one a day.  The bottles are usually almost immediately replaced, not out of any urgency on my part but because looking at full shelves gives me a feeling of contentment and, perhaps, of some sort of security. 

IMG_0086.thumb.jpeg.567762a20a03f4473e7759828759e76b.jpeg

Brilliant! Rabbers.

I think it's wonderful to witness someone whom enjoys their food, and knows how to broaden their experiences too.

I 'doff me titfer' to you, Rabbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Illogan said:

I 'doff me titfer' to you, Rabbers.

Very kind of you, Dave, but you flatter me 😳🙂!

On 7/27/2024 at 6:07 PM, dutchie01 said:

i am looking for a new machine, full automatic bean. Tempting to go for Jura but dont know enough about them to justify that amount yet. Do you have any advise?

Honestly, I have had pretty good success with your run-of-the-mill DeLonghi. 

Just don't go for anything too complex with too many options and touchscreen (unless you want to program it to make you coffee at specific times, such as 7AM per example).

At the end of the day, coffee machines have all gotten pretty capable, there is rarely a "wrong answer" when you choose one.

However, the best coffee will still come from high-pressured machines and a barista espressor will always allow you to have that extra bit of flavour.

Hope this helps! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the weather is hot then a Leffe Blonde in an ice cold glass.

Most other times a glass of Carmenere of any label from the Rapel Valley.

Winters day afternoon a shot glass of home made Sloe Gin.

But I don't drink much !

• Like 1

Glad to read, Stephen, you drink out of a chilled glass. 👍

I stopped making ginger ale ice cubes a while ago. My Deep South and Canada Dry are kept in my cold fridge. I chill my southern comfort glass for a couple hours before I enjoy my tipple.

I've liked what I've read what you good folk like to drink. Alcohol was the sought replies but I was remis to think a few would not be alchohol drinkers. 👍

13 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Madeira. Older the better

We had a lovely holiday in Funchal and I brought home a 1910 Vintage ( not solera ) Sercial Madeira wine. One night my wife presented a delicious sherry trifle for dinner.  - Yes, you guessed it, the Sercial was gone.😭

4 hours ago, GMB said:

We had a lovely holiday in Funchal and I brought home a 1910 Vintage ( not solera ) Sercial Madeira wine. One night my wife presented a delicious sherry trifle for dinner.  - Yes, you guessed it, the Sercial was gone.😭

😱😭😭

On 7/27/2024 at 1:45 PM, TraktorDriver said:

Water is the real adult drink. Followed by a proper coffee made with proper beans in a proper Barista Coffee machine.

If all that fails, a Pinã Colada will suffice for me. 😅🤣

I used to design water filters, I know what's in water, fish fxxx in it 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

I used to design water filters, I know what's in water, fish fxxx in it 🤣

I used to design low cost alcohol filters. My favourite was to be the last to the bar when it came to paying for a round.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links