Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2005 IS250 cost of ownership over 4 years

Hi all,

A few days ago was the 4 year ownership anniversary of my 2005 plate IS250, which was purchased from a fellow forum member. As I kept track of most of the spending on the car, I thought I'd share the ownership costs over the 4 years. 

Apart from the ATF change, which I'm not sure I'll tackle as it at 120k miles now, I think I completed all big maintenance items for the age & mileage of the car. Also will start changing the oil sooner, 6-8k intervals, as I noticed the chain rattle comes back once the oil degrades. Next will look at replacing brake fluid and diff oil, as well as front pads and discs. 

As a general observation, noticed that the car is happier with Motul 8100 Eco Energy oil and it does not burn any of it. Tried OEM Lexus & Petronas as well, but had to top up around 200ml after around 5k miles to keep the level bang on in the middle.

Maintenance Cost to date   £3,162.00
2020   £1,037.00
2021   £145.00
2022   £888.00
2023   £962.00
2024   £130.00
Av cost per month since ownership   £65.88
Date Description Cost
July 2020 After Purchase Service with OEM Lexus/Toyota parts- oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, sparkplugs, brake fluid, coolant, diff oil £430.00
September 2020 rear tyres Avon ZV7 & 4wheel alignment £250.00
October 2020 MOT £37.00
October 2020 water pump, belt & pulleys + coolant again £230.00
November 2020 Battery Boch £90.00
21 Aug 2021 oil (Motul) & filters (oil, cabin, air) Change @92,730 £100.00
October 2021 MOT £45.00
March 2022 stainless steel back boxes £380.00
August 2022 brake sliding pins all 4 corners £50.00
August 2022 new front tyres - Goodyear efficient grip 2 £140.00
August 2022 oil & filters - parts £84.00
August 2022 rear brake safety pins - parts £30.00
August 2022 oil (motul), filters & brakes service - labour @102,282 £150.00
October 2022 MOT £54.00
April 2023 gsf front bushes purchased & installed £130.00
July 2023 oil (petronas), filters, brakes cleaned, sliding pins lubed, rear pads changed @112,483 £250.00
September 2023 New rear tyres - Goodyear Asy 6 - old ZV7 tyres started perishing despite about 5mm thread remaining  
October 2023 MOT £49.00
November 2023 stud lug replacement (parts and labour) £100.00
November 2023 Alternator £125.00
November 2023 Alternator fitting £166.00
November 2023 4 wheel tracking - check & adjust £38.00
November 2023 2 service packs ordered from Opie Oils - Motul 8100 Eco Energy £104.00
April 2024 Oil (Motul), filters & all 4 sliding pins greased @122,222 - labour only £130.00

Visual Mods Cost to date   £430
Date Description Cost
March 2022 Ceramic window tints front and back £185.00
August 2023 rear reflectors LED £45.00
November 2023 wheel refurb £180.00
November 2023 calliper paint diy £20.00

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just wish all people took such good care of their cars... 

Definitely good decision on 6k miles oil changes, I have done the same in my ownership as chain rattle would comeback after ~6k miles, also all the oil burning only started occurring after 6k miles. So changing oil just before that cured most of the issues and car was very happy all the way to 200k.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I just wish all people took such good care of their cars... 

Definitely good decision on 6k miles oil changes, I have done the same in my ownership as chain rattle would comeback after ~6k miles, also all the oil burning only started occurring after 6k miles. So changing oil just before that cured most of the issues and car was very happy all the way to 200k.

Can't not take care of it when I like the car so much 😄 I still enjoy driving it and always turn to look back at it after I park. 

• Like 3

You put Assymetric 6 on. I find the steering heavy compared to other tyres even at 38 psi all round. How is your steering? Maybe I have some sort of suspension issue I don't know. 

I had a similar cost of ownership thread as well. Maintenance very similar to yours with lots of mechanic mistakes costing me up to £600 extra. 

I recently bought a Ford Mondeo diesel 2016. What a mistake. Problems with Turbocharger and potentially other things. 

I appreciate the Lexus drive when I jump back in to it. 

12 hours ago, Ozzay said:

You put Assymetric 6 on. I find the steering heavy compared to other tyres even at 38 psi all round. How is your steering? Maybe I have some sort of suspension issue I don't know. 

I had a similar cost of ownership thread as well. Maintenance very similar to yours with lots of mechanic mistakes costing me up to £600 extra. 

I recently bought a Ford Mondeo diesel 2016. What a mistake. Problems with Turbocharger and potentially other things. 

I appreciate the Lexus drive when I jump back in to it. 

The asymmetric are on the back, on the front I have the efficient grips. Haven't noticed any changes in the steering from the tyres. However, when I was on holiday and rented a Fiat Panda for a week, when I came back I felt like I was battling the steering wheel in the lexus...maybe with you driving the Ford now too you're feeling a difference?

I also like to run my tyres a bit more inflated - from memory it's 40psi/2.8 bar fronts and 43psi/3 bar rears - I feel it handles better with more air in the tyres.

I think you can adjust the steering wheel weight if you get a copy of techstream? I remember moving it up a number when I got the car as it was feeling rather light for my liking

On 7/25/2024 at 8:24 AM, zoricib said:

I also like to run my tyres a bit more inflated - from memory it's 40psi/2.8 bar fronts and 43psi/3 bar rears - I feel it handles better with more air in the tyres.

I agree. I also run 40 front 43 rear. The car is heavy, more air makes it a little more "playful". Doesn't feel like such a tank compared to 35psi 

On 7/25/2024 at 8:24 AM, zoricib said:

The asymmetric are on the back, on the front I have the efficient grips. Haven't noticed any changes in the steering from the tyres. However, when I was on holiday and rented a Fiat Panda for a week, when I came back I felt like I was battling the steering wheel in the lexus...maybe with you driving the Ford now too you're feeling a difference?

I think you can adjust the steering wheel weight if you get a copy of techstream? I remember moving it up a number when I got the car as it was feeling rather light for my liking

Never heard of this setting I will check with someone's device

Happy 4th year ownership Bogdan. And here's to another 4 + years. 

I thoroughly recommend you get a bottle of ZX1 and the chain rattle will never come back, we'll until it's time to change it. I've used ZX1 in All my cars and can report those engines loved it and performed excellently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Happy 4th year ownership Bogdan. And here's to another 4 + years. 

I thoroughly recommend you get a bottle of ZX1 and the chain rattle will never come back, we'll until it's time to change it. I've used ZX1 in All my cars and can report those engines loved it and performed excellently. 

Thanks Vlad! Will have a look at the ZX1. 

Don't just look for it Bogdan Get it. 

True example. Neighbour has an old S type 3.0 litre jag. Barely uses it. Starts it for half hour once a month. Goes for a run twice a year. Complained about a top end rattle. Garage told him tappets were knackered. I said get some ZX1. He came to mec2 weeks later saying that no more tappety noise. Chuffed as a chuffed thing. 

• Like 1

As it looks like you are gonna keep this car a good while I highly suggest oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles, like you said the chain starts to make itself known at about this mileage when oil is prob past its best, also oil is cheap compared to going inside engine👍

20 hours ago, Texas said:

As it looks like you are gonna keep this car a good while I highly suggest oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles, like you said the chain starts to make itself known at about this mileage when oil is prob past its best, also oil is cheap compared to going inside engine👍

That's the plan on oil changes. I'm waiting to see when the rattle comes in to set it as a benchmark for the shorter intervals. 

4 hours ago, zoricib said:

That's the plan on oil changes. I'm waiting to see when the rattle comes in to set it as a benchmark for the shorter intervals. 

For me it was consistently ~6,000-7000 miles. Also oil burning also started towards second-half of 10,000 miles. Back then I was doing ~12,000 a year, so it worked out nicely as 2 services every 6,000 miles or 10,000 kilometres... which (not) accidentally is the intervals entire Europe uses for service. I am not even joking - if you have Lexus in France, Germany etc. you normal annual service is 10,000 kilometres. Why it is 10,000 miles in UK?! Perhaps convenience, round number etc. But it is not good for the car. 

Also - engine flush extends life of the oil, whenever you want to do it or not... it is up to you, but without flushing the engine the colour of oil would become black very quickly, in one case I had oil changed by Lexus and it was hard to believe it was changed, because it was already dark after maybe 500 miles. However, with oil flush it stays relatively clean for 3000 miles and more.

So doing oil changes every 6,000 miles and flushing every other time, I completely got rid of any oil burning and chain rattle. Whereas before it was losing ~0.4L to 6,000 miles, but then ~2L for the remaining ~6,000 and without flushing chain rattle would start as early as probably 5,000 miles and by 7,000 miles it would get really bad.

As for additives - I have not used ZX1, but I had used Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment. For not particular reason, except that I was getting Wynns Engine Flush... and it makes a difference. To make sure it is not placebo, I also used it once on old oil (basically to make sure it is not oil change, but actual additive that makes a difference) and it is noticeable straight away, engine runs much more quiet, especially on cold starts and it instantly stops valvetrain rattles even on old oil. I don't believe it is replacement for more frequent oil changes, but as we know these engines have this particular issues I can't see how it can hurt.

• Like 1

Good write up Linas. Let me put you straight about ZX1. It's not just an additive, which like most needs re adding annually, it's a liquid that attaches itself microscopically to All metal surfaces which the engine oil touches. 

It attaches itself and acts like a constant lubrication. It never leaves the metal its attached to like oil can. 

A few drops in the coolant will prolong water pump life. A few drops in fuel will prolong fuel pump life.

It needs only one application. 

Hope that's enlightened you about it.

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Good write up Linas. Let me put you straight about ZX1. It's not just an additive, which like most needs re adding annually, it's a liquid that attaches itself microscopically to All metal surfaces which the engine oil touches. 

It attaches itself and acts like a constant lubrication. It never leaves the metal its attached to like oil can. 

A few drops in the coolant will prolong water pump life. A few drops in fuel will prolong fuel pump life.

It needs only one application. 

Hope that's enlightened you about it.

It's essentially what LIQUI MOLY have in their Cera-Tec. Good stuff that. Never used ZX1 though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links