Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi guys , I am new in this area . I got a Lexus is220d 2007 model . First of all it is a good looking car , good to drive , but impossible for countries roads . Anyways , I got that car , 2 to 3 weeks a go . The temperature is never go up to the middle as I expect. Either it is cold or just a quarter if I push hard . Last week I just changed the waterpump because I had coolant all over the engine bay , and I noticed it had a second reservoir for coolant. The original from Lexus was always empty where the other one was half way full , I checked for broken hose or broken pipe and nothing (with the car running) , where I found out the car was overflowing coolant from the second reservoir, I chance the waterpump filled up with antifreeze, only one reservoir, but now the coolant is missing,(when I say missing is actually one litter of coolant) morning before work and in the afternoon after work . And everytime I open the reservoir cap it is steaming . Just right after a cold start , morning or evening. 
no water mixed with oil or vice-versa. I didn’t notice any white cloud or steam . The car behaves fine . It just very strange. 

any help please . 
Ireland 

Where have you bought it and is it possible to return the car? 

Because IS220d is already worst car Lexus ever made and is extremely unreliable, but on top of that your one seems to be in complete mess and I doubt it is worth fixing. 

• Like 2

It just need some love . It has a good kick after the turbo kick in . I will try to get some dye for the coolant to see where it is going . It could be something minimum. I will keep you guys updated 

I did , but probably it wasn’t enough, so I removed to O-ring of the reservoir cap to leave all the air out while I am driving. 🤞it will be okay . Because I had the is250 it was fun , but the 220d manual it is funnier. 

Considering some weird boxes and multiple reservoirs... is there a possibility it has something weird like water injection, maybe some aftermarket intercooler? 

I mean honestly... where do you even found this car? I think we have seen all sorts of issues related to IS220d on here, but 2 coolant reservoirs must be the first... and not very good mod for many reason. The chief among them - why do it? 

I know it sounds vey pessimistic, but you have car that is already inherently unreliable from factory, with many issues to care about as it is, but you also have unknown boxes wired to ect. 2 coolant reservoirs, one of which is empty, other one that overflows and loses a litter of coolant overnight... 3 weeks into ownership you already had to replace water pump... really seems to be a deal nobody would want to touch with the barge poll. 

So either there is something you are not telling i.e. car is highly modified and you want to keep it as project car, I don't know for what end, but that is none of my business, or it is absolute scrapper. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

Makes.nonsemse to me but I'd love to see a photo of this engine bay. 

I think he means the plastic reservoir and what can be seen under the radiator cap. 

• Like 1

I drove the car without a rubber o-ring and I disconnected the pipe for over flow , and I noticed the what’re was coming form the over flow pipe , as I expected, anyway I got new o-rings and I fitted, so far so good , I think the water was escaping from the over flow pipe with the pressure. I drove the car and left the car working for 20 minutes but it doesn’t get hot enough for the fans kick in . But now it get to nearly the middle of the temperature. 

also I got pictures of the other reservoir was hock up to the other I’ve . And had the same problem, the water was overflowing from the small pipe . I would expect it was the old waterpump wasn’t working properly. 

sorry about the pictures. I am not a good photograph and the phone doesn’t help either 😂🤦🏻

7B359568-ED7A-4EC4-A59A-0D0B51F17AE0.jpeg

3E357990-F325-492A-BACE-1069B76BE176.jpeg

58E8AE46-F6AD-4699-AE1B-865F38644C69.jpeg

DAFB1B28-6225-4FAF-8629-75DF4E79FF0D.jpeg

No idea what was going on there... in summary it seems your coolant was boiling and overflowing because there was a leak in the system. Cooling system is pressurised (making boiling point higher), if there is no good seal then then coolant simply start boiling and probably because of the same reason thermostat failed to open, hence your coolant temp was showing low, but in practice it was overheating. 

Anyhow - glad to hear you fixed it... but not sure what is moral of the story... don't buy cars if there is more than one coolant tank under the hood?!

It seems to have been bodged up previously to try and fix the fault you actually sorted I.e. water pump and O ring seals.

Good to see the additional bottle and hoses are now removed and the coolant temperature is normal with no excessive pressurisation, so hopefully sorted.

I just hope you paid hundreds for the car rather than thousands.

Just to add a little humour to this thread my Toyota Celsior does have 2 windscreen washer bottles, one in the normal place for washing and an additional one between the front bumper and radiator for rinsing, this set up however is factory not aftermarket.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Just to add a little humour to this thread my Toyota Celsior does have 2 windscreen washer bottles, one in the normal place for washing and an additional one between the front bumper and radiator for rinsing, this set up however is factory not aftermarket.

It is kind of genius when you think about it... even if it is way over the top for common folk that put tap water in both 😄  

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links