Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Extended Warranty

Hello, I have had my IS300h since early June, it is a 2015 model with 33000 miles on the clock and has been dealer serviced from new, I have all the paperwork and am going through it all now. If it has an extended warranty will that be as a paper copy or digital with the dealer ? Would any of you helpful people know please?

If it's been serviced in the last 12-months / 10,000 miles by Lexus it will have the Relax warranty up to 10-years / 100,000 miles.

Thanks for the information Mr Spock,  I have a sticking rear caliper that the dealer wants to replace for £990 (includes a new set of pads for the rear wheels) my question is do the pads need replacing as they have about 9mm on them according to the dealer and are wearing evenly? I am hoping that the extended warranty will cover the caliper (as I have seen on here in another thread) I will let you know how that works out!

If the pads are wearing evenly and are at 9mm they are literally still like new. Get the caliper replaced under warranty & then have the brakes serviced or replaced else where for a fraction of the cost.

No need for replacement unless the pad has been overheating? In which case it will be glazed because of it being stuck you may want to consider getting new disc and pads & be done with it. I'd suggest using a reputable independent garage if you need to have the brakes done as they are likely to grease the slider pins & at the same time have the rear brake shoes adjusted so your parking brake holds on a hill. 

2 hours ago, welshtufty said:

Thanks for the information Mr Spock,  I have a sticking rear caliper that the dealer wants to replace for £990 (includes a new set of pads for the rear wheels) my question is do the pads need replacing as they have about 9mm on them according to the dealer and are wearing evenly? I am hoping that the extended warranty will cover the caliper (as I have seen on here in another thread) I will let you know how that works out!

I have just had the same problem, although with more mileage on my car. I have a late 2014 IS 300h with just a shade under 150K miles and started getting some intermittent squealing and a slightly warm rear offside wheel. Took it to my Lexus dealer and they diagnosed sticking rear caliper. In my case I have the Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty that I pay for annually due to my high miles (so outside of Relax 100K miles limit) - it can be renewed until the car is 15 years old or 150K miles, whichever comes soonest. The tech reported that on the side with my sticking caliper the pads were down to 3mm  but 9mm on the non-sticking side (the rear pads seem to last forever on a hybrid). The caliper was replaced under the Extended Warranty and I then paid £355 (incl. fitting) for new rear discs and pads on both wheels. TBH, although there was a lot of pad thickness on the good side, the discs were looking in pretty poor shape given my age and mileage - very rusty and becoming pitted - and before the sticking caliper I was thinking of replacing them anyway, even though the pads at the time had a lot of life left.

I am assuming you have the Relax warranty in place on your car and so given my experience, unless the T&Cs of Relax are different, the caliper should be replaced under the warranty. What damage has been done to the pads/discs due to the sticking caliper and how long it's been like it is hard to know - if there is uneven wear on the pads or glazing then at least replacing the pads makes sense if the discs are still in good shape, and maybe replace the discs if they are heavily corroded and pitted (given their age). You can check prices for OEM discs/pads on https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/ to get an idea of parts costs. However, based on my experience (and looking at my invoice and the prices of parts etc.) then the £990 should be the total cost of one new caliper, and new discs and pads for both rear wheels, not just new pads, and hopefully the caliper will be under warranty so if just new pads are needed should be well under £200.

If you purchased the car from a dealer then you should also have 6-months cover for any major defect under the Consumer Rights Act.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

If you purchased the car from a dealer then you should also have 6-months cover for any major defect under the Consumer Rights Act.

Good point - I hadn't twigged on the recent purchase. If it was purchased from a Lexus dealer they usually come with 12 months Used Car Warranty which is very comprehensive and should certainly cover the caliper cost and possibly replacement discs/pads if the stuck caliper caused those to need replacing. As @Spock66 states if from an independent dealer there are other consumer rights that may come into play.

A quick update for everyone and thanks to those who gave such comprehensive replies. The car was purchased privately so no warranty from the dealership. However, it does have a full service history and all the dealer stamps, last service was late April. I spoke to Lexus Cardiff yesterday and it is booked in for tomorrow. The cost is now £180 to strip clean and grease the caliper pins etc. However, if the caliper needs replacing they will do so under warranty!!

I am impressed with that for a 9 year old car. I will update later in the week and thanks again for all your answers 🙂 

WT

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, welshtufty said:

A quick update for everyone and thanks to those who gave such comprehensive replies. The car was purchased privately so no warranty from the dealership. However, it does have a full service history and all the dealer stamps, last service was late April. I spoke to Lexus Cardiff yesterday and it is booked in for tomorrow. The cost is now £180 to strip clean and grease the caliper pins etc. However, if the caliper needs replacing they will do so under warranty!!

I am impressed with that for a 9 year old car. I will update later in the week and thanks again for all your answers 🙂 

WT

Sounds like a a sensible outcome - good for others to know calipers will be replaced under the Relax warranty if they have failed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like attempted robbery to me.

You pay it needs a new caliper for £990

or

alternatively its a simple clean up and charge you £180.

Why should warranty repair cost you anything at all?

Lexus Cardiff need reporting to trading Standards.

Final outcome ……not the calliper but a pad had separated from the metal backing plate and I had to replace both rear discs and and the 4 pads 😕 the calliper was fine ( pity really as they agreed to replace it under warranty if it was a problem 🙄) £500 plus VAT Ouch!

2 minutes ago, welshtufty said:

Final outcome ……not the calliper but a pad had separated from the metal backing plate and I had to replace both rear discs and and the 4 pads 😕 the calliper was fine ( pity really as they agreed to replace it under warranty if it was a problem 🙄) £500 plus VAT Ouch!

Well at least you got to the bottom of it - the discs / pads replacement cost sounds a bit high mind you - unless they added time in for investigation - when I had my issue, after investigating the caliper was replaced under the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty at no charge to me and then I just had to pay for the new rear discs / pads which was £355 (they said something about that being a fixed price deal and on the invoice there was some discounts against the discs / pads pricing).

However, you're done now - unless there are any caliper issues hopefully the rear discs and pads will now last the life of the car! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links