Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Just got my first Lexus CT200h. Any tips or pointers?

Hi Captain, welcome to the LOC and congrats on the CT200h purchase.

No pointers sorry, only driven one once at a Lexus event.

These cars are bullet proof if looked after, the only thing I would suggest is get a fixed price service plan with Lexus, which entitles you to free Lexus warranty to 10yr old or 100,000k, free hybrid Battery check and up to 15yr warranty on the hybrid Battery. Ours is done in Birmingham and the customer service is Exceptional. You might get service a bit cheaper  with local Independents but forfeit the add ons. Sometimes you get what you pay for lol! 

Welcome Captain and congrats on your purchase.

It's your first CT but have you owned hybrids before? I only ask because I've never had a CT so I can't offer anything specific, but if it's your first hybrid then there's lots of stuff you need to know.

For instance, there's no starter motor or alternator and anything that would normally be driven by a belt from the engine (power steering pump and aircon compressor for instance) are all driven by electric motors instead.

A hybrid can receive a jump start from a conventional car but you should never use a hybrid to jump start a conventional car.

There's lots of other stuff too but it would be pointless to carry on if you already know these things, so let us know if this sort of thing is useful to you and if it is, myself and others will be happy to help.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 9:34 PM, Herbie said:

A hybrid can receive a jump start from a conventional car but you should never use a hybrid to jump start a conventional car.

If this is something you have found the need to do in the past (helping others out by jump starting them from your car) a good alternative is a little £60 pocket size rectangle box Battery from Halfords, which you can charge once a month (or allow the car to charge) and keep in the boot without taking up much space, which can be used to jump start another car - much easier. I have one and it's a great alternative. 

1 hour ago, CT200NI said:

If this is something you have found the need to do in the past (helping others out by jump starting them from your car) a good alternative is a little £60 pocket size rectangle box battery from Halfords, which you can charge once a month (or allow the car to charge) and keep in the boot without taking up much space, which can be used to jump start another car - much easier. I have one and it's a great alternative. 

Oh yes, they're brilliant little gadgets and I've had one for years. Only needed to use it once on my own car but it's rescued at least half a dozen strangers when they needed it  :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

Oh yes, they're brilliant little gadgets and I've had one for years. Only needed to use it once on my own car but it's rescued at least half a dozen strangers when they needed it  :thumbup:

I usually find a couple of free bottles of wine in my porch every winter from neighbours I have got out of trouble with my Tacklife T8 Max. So easy to use and paid for itself many times over in free wine. Also incorporates great LED torch, flashing hazard light, phone charger and power for electric tyre pump etc'

t8.jpg

On 7/20/2024 at 5:59 PM, steve2006 said:

Hi Captain, welcome to the LOC and congrats on the CT200h purchase.

No pointers sorry, only driven one once at a Lexus event.

Thank you!!

On 7/20/2024 at 7:04 PM, Poundy said:

These cars are bullet proof if looked after, the only thing I would suggest is get a fixed price service plan with Lexus, which entitles you to free Lexus warranty to 10yr old or 100,000k, free hybrid battery check and up to 15yr warranty on the hybrid battery. Ours is done in Birmingham and the customer service is Exceptional. You might get service a bit cheaper  with local Independents but forfeit the add ons. Sometimes you get what you pay for lol! 

Thank you. Have serviced the car myself with genuine parts. The Lexus price for a full service was £505 which put me off but I take your point about the warranty. 

Does their service plan reduce the cost?

On 7/20/2024 at 9:34 PM, Herbie said:

Welcome Captain and congrats on your purchase.

It's your first CT but have you owned hybrids before? I only ask because I've never had a CT so I can't offer anything specific, but if it's your first hybrid then there's lots of stuff you need to know.

For instance, there's no starter motor or alternator and anything that would normally be driven by a belt from the engine (power steering pump and aircon compressor for instance) are all driven by electric motors instead.

There's lots of other stuff too but it would be pointless to carry on if you already know these things, so let us know if this sort of thing is useful to you and if it is, myself and others will be happy to help.

Thank you. This is my first hybrid car (coming from a 20 year old civic).

I did not know about the jump-start and will keep that in mind. Thanks a lot. 

On 7/23/2024 at 9:36 AM, CT200NI said:

If this is something you have found the need to do in the past (helping others out by jump starting them from your car) a good alternative is a little £60 pocket size rectangle box battery from Halfords, which you can charge once a month (or allow the car to charge) and keep in the boot without taking up much space, which can be used to jump start another car - much easier. I have one and it's a great alternative. 

Got a NOCO but it always seems to have less charge that what's needed to get a car started. 

On 7/23/2024 at 4:09 PM, Poundy said:

I usually find a couple of free bottles of wine in my porch every winter from neighbours I have got out of trouble with my Tacklife T8 Max. So easy to use and paid for itself many times over in free wine. Also incorporates great led torch, flashing hazard light, phone charger and power for electric tyre pump etc'

t8.jpg

Will look into this. Thanks 

7 hours ago, captainbeavus said:

Does anyone know if the Lexus Link+ app works with the CT200h? It has so many more features!

It might work with your 2018 / final facelift version - someone else will need to confirm. I can confirm that the 2017 and below, it doesn't work with. Whilst you can match your Lexus up to your account with the VIN and book services etc, there is no way to connect the media system to it for updates / apps etc... even my Avensis was able to do this so I was a little disappointed not being able to get fuel prices / weather / parking and traffic on it.

Again, you might be able to with your newer model, particularly if you have the widescreen on your dash

19 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

It might work with your 2018 / final facelift version - someone else will need to confirm. I can confirm that the 2017 and below, it doesn't work with. Whilst you can match your Lexus up to your account with the VIN and book services etc, there is no way to connect the media system to it for updates / apps etc... even my Avensis was able to do this so I was a little disappointed not being able to get fuel prices / weather / parking and traffic on it.

Again, you might be able to with your newer model, particularly if you have the widescreen on your dash

No luck unfortunately. Ive got the smaller screen with the luxury spec. 

2 minutes ago, captainbeavus said:

No luck unfortunately. Ive got the smaller screen with the luxury spec. 

Ah that's unfortunate. You might need to update via USB stick as well, which is a pain. I did this in January, some website online was able to get me an activation code for like £60 I think versus a couple of hundred at the Lexus dealer, whom will tell you only they can do it as the DIY approach depends on the seller having access to some Toyota / Lexus activation server which uses your system's ID to come up with a special code that will work with it.  Bloody slow for them to get back with it, and a little complicated to get the formatting of the drive correct (at least if you use a Mac like me) and then takes AGES like an hour to load on.  Plus, the 'latest' 2024 map in January was actually 2022 data - unless they lied to me about that. 

At least the system is fairly reliable, responsive (compared to my aforementioned Toyota which had an otherwise nice system, but dog **** processor making it a living hell to interact with). Overall, this little basic Lexus system is at least responsive enough to make living with it not the worst out there. And the remote control dial is also much better than a touch screen.

The only other tip with that I can give you is to be careful what you clean it with , some folks on here reporting that some cleaning stuff makes it overly shiny and wore down , and difficult to see in the sunlight. 

10 hours ago, captainbeavus said:

Does anyone know if the Lexus Link+ app works with the CT200h? It has so many more features!

Not as far as I can work out. Tried. Gave up.

Lexus Link function very basic.

16 hours ago, CT200NI said:

Ah that's unfortunate. You might need to update via USB stick as well, which is a pain. I did this in January, some website online was able to get me an activation code for like £60 I think versus a couple of hundred at the Lexus dealer, whom will tell you only they can do it as the DIY approach depends on the seller having access to some Toyota / Lexus activation server which uses your system's ID to come up with a special code that will work with it.  Bloody slow for them to get back with it, and a little complicated to get the formatting of the drive correct (at least if you use a Mac like me) and then takes AGES like an hour to load on.  Plus, the 'latest' 2024 map in January was actually 2022 data - unless they lied to me about that. 

Linky?

On 7/29/2024 at 2:11 PM, CT200NI said:

At least the system is fairly reliable, responsive (compared to my aforementioned Toyota which had an otherwise nice system, but dog **** processor making it a living hell to interact with). Overall, this little basic Lexus system is at least responsive enough to make living with it not the worst out there. And the remote control dial is also much better than a touch screen.

The only other tip with that I can give you is to be careful what you clean it with , some folks on here reporting that some cleaning stuff makes it overly shiny and wore down , and difficult to see in the sunlight. 

I asked Lexus to update the maps and they quoted £300!! 

21 minutes ago, captainbeavus said:

I asked Lexus to update the maps and they quoted £300!! 

Same, that’s why I used that site linked above.  I’d say double check if the map data itself has since been updated from 2022 content as the ‘Late 2023’ update was allegedly.  

Got some roads in NI only opened in 2023 where it still routes me along the old road, despite showing the new road sort of annoying. But for £60 I can update it again and still be under half of the Lexus price 

On 7/30/2024 at 8:16 AM, CT200NI said:

This was the site I used, it is legit but it's slow and the instructions maybe not clear. But you'll get sorted in the end: 

LEXUS 13CY GEN8 SAT NAV MAP UPDATE EUROPE 2023-2024 (satnavishop.co.uk)

I've used that website to get the update for my 2017 CT2000h map. It installed no problem, taking the 90 minutes they said it would. You have to send them a photo of your navigation system details screen to get an installation code, but it works. Of course, the map you get is out of date before you even load it, and Google maps on a smartphone is far superior and accurate, even if you can't link a phone to the car screen.

Do be wary of leaving the car parked if you're going away on holiday for a few weeks. It can drain the small 12V Battery and the car won't unlock or start without it, so you have to use the mechanical key to get in. Can be "jump started" into a Ready state though. I know from experience with a Prius, but my CT200h did survive me being away for 3 weeks, although I left it unlocked in a (locked) garage, so that the alarm wasn't activated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, captainbeavus said:

Anyone upgraded their internal lights? How easy is it ?

Not on a CT but it's very easy on a 2018 RX.

Lens cover off > old incandescent lamp out > new LED in > lens cover back on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links