Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Which? magazine this week reports on car thefts, which they say increased by 48% in the year to September 2023.  They report that LV insurer's claims data shows that between 2021 and 2023 thefts of Lexus increased by 513%, by far the largest increase of any manufacturer.   I would guess that this might be partly because Lexus have become more desirable, but also due to ''keyless" systems and the Canbus problem.  When my UX goes in for its first service I will ask whether the keyless system can be disabled, and also if they can fit the Canbus plate mentioned in the Lexus press release.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johdhm said:

When my UX goes in for its first service I will ask whether the keyless system can be disabled, and also if they can fit the Canbus plate mentioned in the Lexus press release.

You can disable the keyless entry system yourself via the car's menu system - this will stop the possibility of a relay attack but won't stop a CAN bus attack.

Unfortunately the RX is the only model where plates are available from Lexus dealers.

• Like 1

The press release indicates all models but in reality they're only concerned with the RX. Clearly they care less for the lower priced cars and their owners.

The press release specifically states plates are available for only the RX.

There will be additional security measures for all affected models however this is not available yet, and there is no indication when it will be after Lexus removed their initial target date. 

• Like 2

The press release, that you kindly supplied to this group, clearly states all affected models and this includes the UX. Whether a 'software' security feature will be the cure or a physical alteration to the bodywork via the metal plates, or any other fix they devise, is immaterial as LEXUS themselves have identified the failings and therefore have accepted, knowingly or otherwise, some liability should anyone suffer the loss of their vehicle through their neglect. 

I still think that it's all down to costs and that any manufacturer would move to resolve their higher value vehicle issues before they get to the 'pleb' level.

Only my opinion of course and we all know what is said about those.

• Like 2

As you say, it tends to be all down to costs.  However, if the mainstream Press picks up on this, then publicity may change things.  Also, I suggest we all ask our dealers about the matter when we book our cars in for service.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Some additional information from the Which? report.  LV's claims data showed that between 2021 and 2023, thefts of Lexuses had increased the most (by 513%), followed by Toyotas (103%), Hyundais (81%) and Kias (76%).                                                                                                                                    No mention of Land Rover - probably because their thefts increased in previous years, but also because I think JLR set up a task force to track their cars and work with the police - one of my friends went off-roading in his new Defender and JLR phoned him because their system alerted them to it.  Rather funny, really - a Defender being used off-road!! 

11 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

The press release, that you kindly supplied to this group, clearly states all affected models and this includes the UX

Yes the press release clearly states the UX is affected, that isn't in question, but it also clearly states that plates are only available for the RX. My point is that you would be wasting your time by going to a Lexus dealer and asking for plates to be fitted if you own a UX.

Once the solution being developed by Toyota UK is ready then all affected Toyota and Lexus owners need to contact their dealer to get the solution applied to their vehicle. Currently there is no point asking your dealer as they aren't able to assist - your time would be better spend contacting Toyota UK / Lexus GB or the press to apply pressure in getting a resolution to this issue.

The press release says that the UX can be fitted with the enhanced security feature, and further on that they anticipate being able to advise the Lexus Centre network with full details before the end of April 2024.

As it is now July, it seems reasonable to ask our dealers.

4 minutes ago, johdhm said:

Even more reasonable would be to proactively contact and update your customers, either directly or via the dealer network or even just update the briefing.

Whenever my dealer has a sales event I get bombarded with posts, texts and phone calls with incentives to buy a new car.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 10:44 AM, johdhm said:

Rather funny, really - a Defender being used off-road!! 

Yes,Land/Range Rovers do spend a lot of time off road--either on a breakdown truck or in the workshop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2024 at 9:21 AM, johdhm said:

The press release says that the UX can be fitted with the enhanced security feature, and further on that they anticipate being able to advise the Lexus Centre network with full details before the end of April 2024.

Lexus UK removed the April 2024 date from their press release. They still don't have the solution communicated to their dealers so whilst you can speak to your dealer they won't be able to assist you. You will need to speak to Lexus CR (not that they will be able to help either, other than stating the solution isn't available yet) - or just post on their website where they continue to state they will update 'soon'.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/

I think the problem is not the whether car is easy to steal but cops doing absolutely nothing to prevent or trace the car theft. I know someone whose car got stolen and cops close the case within 48hr without even asking him for CCTV footage. At this point, their laziness are encouraging the crimes.

There is another thread on the RX page under 'Lexus Announcement imminent....     

I can understand Lexus prioritising the RX, but it is about time they thought about the rest of us.

In the short term, I have purchased a Stoplok Pro which I will use in high risk areas, and also continue with NFU Mutual for insurance as they give new vehicle replacement up to two years old.

Free trackers being fitted by Lexus from 1 August is being discussed on the NX Facebook group. I know no more than this, eg which models, time frames, whether this is for all owners or just on purchases of used cars…..the info on that group is from a dealer

Slight correction to my earlier post.  I actually have a Stoplock Pro Elite.  I tried the normal Pro, but kept sounding the horn when trying to fit it.  The Elite has a deeper curve, and this fits well.  Many thanks to Halfords in Dorchester for their excellent service and assistance.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2024 at 3:05 AM, Mike KL said:

I think the problem is not the whether car is easy to steal but cops doing absolutely nothing to prevent or trace the car theft. I know someone whose car got stolen and cops close the case within 48hr without even asking him for CCTV footage. At this point, their laziness are encouraging the crimes.

I don’t think they’re necessarily lazy but there isn’t enough and they are spread too thin.  This recent announcement that they’ve recruited 20,000 extra can’t be true because you rarely see them.  

Hi I have been in negotiation about Ux250h but when talking to Insurance companies they are quoting prices for this model which seem rather excessive. They say its not my age but due to the fact that this model can be stolen so I went on line to see if there was a system after Lexus insurance stated that to get insurance with them and even a quote I would have to produce a certificate of a CAT 1 or Ghost 11 immobiliser has anyone else had this problem with any insurance company please and if willing what sort of quotes have been given.

• Like 1

Toyota and Lexus insurance are asking owners for secondary immobilisers to be installed in order to get renewals. Premiums are also going up a lot.

Hi thank you for that information Lexus dealer even gave me the the contact details for Lexus insurance and was surprised when I said needed a secondary immobiliser and has suggested 2 other companies seems the dealers are mentioning this fact. Back to the phone for me Ghost 11 if fitted correctly takes 3 hours and around 600 pounds  happy days.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, Beduffshirl said:

Auto-Folding Mirrors 🙂

On 7/22/2024 at 10:44 AM, johdhm said:

Rather funny, really - a Defender being used off-road!! 

Glad you made the distinction between being used off road and being off road..ie broken down...the more likely scenario.

• Haha 1

Anyone come up with a fix? I have a garage, tools,welder...Just pull out the wheel arch liner and there it is? (LC500)

15 hours ago, eddiea1 said:

Toyota and Lexus insurance are asking owners for secondary immobilisers to be installed in order to get renewals. Premiums are also going up a lot.

I’ve just insured with Lexus and that wasn’t mentioned.  The premium on a new 300h came down £65.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links