Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Something strange

This morning I started my nx450h, fully charged and 20c. It showed electric on the dashboard but I could hear and feel the ICE clearly, tried to switch between the two with the switch by the gear stick but no change, tried to accelerate in neutral but no revs and a message on the dash to quick to read. I  stopped, turn it off and on again and that worked as usual in only electric. Any ideas what is going on? (The non electric mileage went down by 1 mile)

Thanks! 

• Confused 2

The NX certainly appears to "do it's own thing".

I would just assume that all is well 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Did you start it with the a/c turned on?

No a/c, no wipers or lights on. This is the second time, can't understand why. Cheers.

Probably worthwhile phoning your dealer and tell them what happened.

They hopefully would give you an explanation.

• Like 1

How often you drive on ICE?

I suspect it might decide it needed to start it if it was not used for long time.

or may be just a software glitch. 

The ICE does need to run periodically so maybe Serguei is onto something. Might it also be that your Battery is low (I don't mean the main traction battery) and the car decides the best way to top it up is with the engine?

2 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

The ICE does need to run periodically so maybe Serguei is onto something. Might it also be that your battery is low (I don't mean the main traction battery) and the car decides the best way to top it up is with the engine?

Thanks, I had around 40 miles run on ICE the day before, it could be the low Battery issue but it's intriguing that while the engine was running it still showed ev mode on the dash?

58 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

... but it's intriguing that while the engine was running it still showed ev mode on the dash?

I have not experienced this yet on my NX, but that would often happen on my Prius.  I just think it's the Hybrid system doing something it needs to do, personally I would not worry about it.  The EV light is just telling you that either the ICE is off (but not in this case) or you are coasting/being powered by the electric motors.

I know your car was first start, but mine would often do this after a long decent down a hill which 'filled' the hybrid Battery and the display showed max bars, the engine was just spinning to take away some excess energy and would stop after a minute or two.

1 hour ago, stepppy said:

I have not experienced this yet on my NX, but that would often happen on my Prius.  I just think it's the Hybrid system doing something it needs to do, personally I would not worry about it.  The EV light is just telling you that either the ICE is off (but not in this case) or you are coasting/being powered by the electric motors.

I know your car was first start, but mine would often do this after a long decent down a hill which 'filled' the hybrid battery and the display showed max bars, the engine was just spinning to take away some excess energy and would stop after a minute or two.

That could be it, I have a fair down hill start and had a full charge. Cheers! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

The ICE does need to run periodically so maybe Serguei is onto something. Might it also be that your battery is low (I don't mean the main traction battery) and the car decides the best way to top it up is with the engine?

The 12v Battery is charged by the hybrid system and not the ICE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ICE can run even in "EV mode", for example if you have selected HEV mode and switch back to EV the mode indicator will change but the engine may not stop right away. The "EV indicator" (green car icon) tells you if it's truly in EV mode. As others have said might be the long downhill gradient. I think it's also possible the ICE will run from time to time if it's not been used although I've yet to experience that as I do a mixture of journey lengths.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

The "EV indicator" (green car icon) tells you if it's truly in EV mode.

If one switches to hybrid mode and the engine starts switching to EV mode shortly after that would change the indicator but the engine would continue running for some time. I believe it would run until the engine properly heats up, as cold stats and stops are bad for the engine.

I usually run ICE at least once a week for couple miles, engines don’t like to not be used for long time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links