Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

what make rear tyres to use for IS300h

I am not sure this has been asked before but cant find it ..what tyres do you guys recommend for my car i was doing some work in the Lexus dealership and they recommended  Nexen  255/35R18 94Y for the rears  ...what do you guys suggest Thanks 

If that's what the dealership is recommending there's no harm in going with that, tyres are chosen for a variety of reasons and seems to be a case of everyone to there own lol. I have got Continental all seasons on my IS250 f sport 225.40.18 on the front and 255.40.18's on the rear which is the size the car came with.

• Like 1

Had Nexen before I threw them away plenty of thread left but the shoulder started cracking the rubber compound seemed hard. & could even get the traction light to blink without trying.  I think they are a Chinese budget brand but I could well be wrong.

For tyres go with Mid range or Premium brands that are well recognised. It's safety so don't compromise.

I've been running UniRoyal Rainsport 5 for nearly 3 years fantastic in the Rain in Manchester we typically see Rain so if your up North of the UK I recommend an A rated tyre for Rain followed by rolling resistance the more economical it will be where you may see an improvement in MPG. 

Online tyre shopper is where I got them from with mobile tyre fitting around £400 from what I remember for all 4 may have been on a deal at the time. 

• Like 2

Depends what you want and how much you willing to spend - all tyres are compromise. On IS300h I would right away exclude UUHP tyres, like Michelin PS4s and similar, just not the car that benefits from it and then you have to deal with compromises.

One way of looking at it - not sports car so just put all-seasons for it for some safety on wet roads (just don't confuse them with winter tyres, little bit of rain and leaves in autumn is what they are for). All premium brands will have decent options - Michelin CrossClimate2, Goodyear Vector 4-Season, Pirelli Cinturato SF3, Bridgestone Turanza All-Season 6, Continental AllSeason Contact2 are all exceptional tyres. By the way CC2 was considered outright the best tyre for few years, but they are in that order now from worst to best, CC2 being the worst out of 1% percentile of best tyres. What are downsides? You will be paying about £20-£30 more per tyre and in summer (warm and dry) cheaper summer tyres will outperform all-season tyre. Will have slightly better fuel economy, lower noise and sharper handling. Do you really need sharper handling? Then go for summer tyre, if not then all-seasons are overall lowest maintenance tyre you can keep on the car all year long and for British winters they are more than enough.

Second option - go for summer tyre with good wet rating and stay way from UUHP, I would look into category of so called "Touring tyres", which are no as sporty, but more comfortable, usually last longer and I think quite suitable for car like IS300h. One of my favourites are Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2, Brigestone Turanza 6 is actually competent tyre (although I have concerns about wear), Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51 and Michelin Primacy 4+ are all great tyres in this category (that I have experience with). Generally rated A for wet is what counts, but many of them are also quiet (under 70dB) and good on fuel.

I would stay away from 255 (40?), because that is absurd and unnecessary width for car that has only 200hp. Now I understand that you may have staggered rims and you can't go much narrower, but I would be inclined to go at least one step down to 245 and if possible 235, and try to fit roughly similar circumference tyre something like 235/40/19 instead of 255/45/18. This should at least partially solve undesirable tendency for these cars to understeer. 

If you want to keep original wide 255 tyre, then many of more economy oriented tyres are not available in that size... which kind of limits your choice with UHP/UUHP - like Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 or Continental Premium Contact 6 (maybe 7 now). Obviously... no mention of Nexen - I would avoid them, they were for long time considered budget, now they are sort of mid-range, but for the price (£10 difference), I would rather go with brands that are consistently at the top.

19 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

I think they are a Chinese budget brand but I could well be wrong.

They are Korean, technically now mid-range, but for long time they were budget. I had one set years ago, so it is probably not representative... but  I put them on, on the way home nearly spun out on the roundabout without even trying, gone back to the shop and swapped them same day. I am sure they went long way since then, but they are just not worth the money. They are literally more than Yokohama, Hankook and similar mid-range brands.

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 are excellent tyres, sort of on point of what I would be looking to put on IS300h in UK - not very sporty, but very good in wet. The problem with them - they are kind of old now and they are pricey, sometimes they cost same as Michelin... and they are certainly not on par with latest tyres. Basically what I am saying - it is time for Rainsport 6 or whatever. But otherwise they good tyres if you can get them at decent price, I think in Europe they are made by Continental

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Depends what you want and how much you willing to spend - all tyres are compromise. On IS300h I would right away exclude UUHP tyres, like Michelin PS4s and similar, just not the car that benefits from it and then you have to deal with compromises.

One way of looking at it - not sports car so just put all-seasons for it for some safety on wet roads (just don't confuse them with winter tyres, little bit of rain and leaves in autumn is what they are for). All premium brands will have decent options - Michelin CrossClimate2, Goodyear Vector 4-Season, Pirelli Cinturato SF3, Bridgestone Turanza All-Season 6, Continental AllSeason Contact2 are all exceptional tyres. By the way CC2 was considered outright the best tyre for few years, but they are in that order now from worst to best, CC2 being the worst out of 1% percentile of best tyres. What are downsides? You will be paying about £20-£30 more per tyre and in summer (warm and dry) cheaper summer tyres will outperform all-season tyre. Will have slightly better fuel economy, lower noise and sharper handling. Do you really need sharper handling? Then go for summer tyre, if not then all-seasons are overall lowest maintenance tyre you can keep on the car all year long and for British winters they are more than enough.

Second option - go for summer tyre with good wet rating and stay way from UUHP, I would look into category of so called "Touring tyres", which are no as sporty, but more comfortable, usually last longer and I think quite suitable for car like IS300h. One of my favourites are Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2, Brigestone Turanza 6 is actually competent tyre (although I have concerns about wear), Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51 and Michelin Primacy 4+ are all great tyres in this category (that I have experience with). Generally rated A for wet is what counts, but many of them are also quiet (under 70dB) and good on fuel.

I would stay away from 255 (40?), because that is absurd and unnecessary width for car that has only 200hp. Now I understand that you may have staggered rims and you can't go much narrower, but I would be inclined to go at least one step down to 245 and if possible 235, and try to fit roughly similar circumference tyre something like 235/40/19 instead of 255/45/18. This should at least partially solve undesirable tendency for these cars to understeer. 

If you want to keep original wide 255 tyre, then many of more economy oriented tyres are not available in that size... which kind of limits your choice with UHP/UUHP - like Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 or Continental Premium Contact 6 (maybe 7 now). Obviously... no mention of Nexen - I would avoid them, they were for long time considered budget, now they are sort of mid-range, but for the price (£10 difference), I would rather go with brands that are consistently at the top.

They are Korean, technically now mid-range, but for long time they were budget. I had one set years ago, so it is probably not representative... but  I put them on, on the way home nearly spun out on the roundabout without even trying, gone back to the shop and swapped them same day. I am sure they went long way since then, but they are just not worth the money. They are literally more than Yokohama, Hankook and similar mid-range brands.

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 are excellent tyres, sort of on point of what I would be looking to put on IS300h in UK - not very sporty, but very good in wet. The problem with them - they are kind of old now and they are pricey, sometimes they cost same as Michelin... and they are certainly not on par with latest tyres. Basically what I am saying - it is time for Rainsport 6 or whatever. But otherwise they good tyres if you can get them at decent price, I think in Europe they are made by Continental. 

Thanks for an excellent reply very informative stuff you wrote, looks like i will not be getting nexen and will get some of the all season tyres that will suit me better i don't believe in scrimping on tyres they can save ones life !!

1 hour ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Had Nexen before I threw them away plenty of thread left but the shoulder started cracking the rubber compound seemed hard. & could even get the traction light to blink without trying.  I think they are a Chinese budget brand but I could well be wrong.

For tyres go with Mid range or Premium brands that are well recognised. It's safety so don't compromise.

I've been running UniRoyal Rainsport 5 for nearly 3 years fantastic in the Rain in Manchester we typically see Rain so if your up North of the UK I recommend an A rated tyre for Rain followed by rolling resistance the more economical it will be where you may see an improvement in MPG. 

Online tyre shopper is where I got them from with mobile tyre fitting around £400 from what I remember for all 4 may have been on a deal at the time. 

Thanks for the reply as it goes i just noticed the shoulder on one of tyres  is slightly cracked, and guess what its a nexen!!! i didn't even look at it until now i was worried about the threads looks like its a flaw with that brand ...i have just seen a  CC2 245/35 Y18 92 do you recommend this for my car  

What's important is check how the current tyres are wearing if there is Inner/outer wear on the edges more so than normal consider getting wheel alignment done & an inspection on the suspension components. It's false economy to throw on new tyres if the wheel alignment is out it will only wear out the new tyres within 10k or so.

Good shout, best time to do alignment is when you replace the tyres, so you get most life out of them. Especially when getting premium tyres that may last 30k miles.

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

Good shout, best time to do alignment is when you replace the tyres, so you get most life out of them. Especially when getting premium tyres that may last 30k miles.

yep will do that for sure ...will this be a good size for my car CC2 245/35 Y18 92 

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

I would go with 245/40 if original is 255/35. This is because speedo is already -5%, so going to 245/35 would make it -6%, and 245/40 -2.2% (closer to actual speed). But I guess depends on the price 0.8% or 2.2% difference is quite minor, but certain sizes are expensive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

I would go with 245/40 if original is 255/35. This is because speedo is already -5%, so going to 245/35 would make it -6%, and 245/40 -2.2% (closer to actual speed). But I guess depends on the price 0.8% or 2.2% difference is quite minor, but certain sizes are expensive. 

ok great 

On 7/18/2024 at 8:28 PM, Linas.P said:

This is too easily said and subjective imo. My car came with such UHP tires (Bridgestone Potenza Sport) and thought the same as you.  I then switched to CC2 and the driving pleasure was gone although previously i had got good experiences on such tire on a front wheel drive Lexus (ct200h).

Now I am on the Goodyears (Assymetric 6) and i am happy again. This tire is quiet, comfortable, holds the road really well and is also a fairly good rain tire. Is also a reasonably affordable in purchase (<100€) and fuel economy.

I am not a racer but I do value good cornering, straight line stability and an allround stable tire.

Considering the IS300h is a heavy car with relatively soft suspension, I do believe the car benefits from a tire that isn't too soft in its construction. But like I said, it's subjective. My out of the box experience was an UHP tire when I bought it and I stuck with it. 

In finding the right tire after the CC2 misery, I found the TireReviews youtube channel and website useful. 

It is a matter of perspective. Can IS300h benefit from UUHP tyres on the warm summer day - yes of course, turn in will be sharper, overall grip will be better, as I said - on summer tyres even noise, fuel consumption and longevity will be better. But is that worthy the compromise of having quite unpredictable tyre in colder autumn, spring and winter months? In the package of 400hp sports car - sure, in package of sedate hybrid... I just can't see it. So whereas I agree that UHP tyres makes IS300h little bit more sporty, as a package it is still not sports car and neither it makes it overall sporty. If you throw IS300h in the corner at high speed, you will definitely feel the difference (be it good on hot summer day, or rather dangerous on cold winter morning), the question is - how often you throwing IS300h into corners at speed.

Other question - the geography... if one live in the country that is always sunny and warm (say Spain, Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Portugal etc.), then sure you get all benefits from UHP and no downsides. In country like UK which is 50% rain, with horrible dirty overgrown roads, potholes etc. the opportunities to use UHP tyre to it's potential are scarce... even if you have desire. 

Also - Potenza Sport is UUHP, sort of comparable to Michelin PS4S, whereas Assy 6 is UHP tyre comparable to PS4. The Assy 6 is very versatile and excellent tyre (I also recommended it if OP wants to stay on 255), but I just wouldn't put it on the car. That said your argument about the price is very on point - I think EfficientGrip Performance 2 is more suitable tyre for the car, but if the difference is £5 per tyre, then going for Assy 6 is just no-brainer, Assy 6 is just better, more sophisticated tyre.

Me as a driver - I would always put UHP/UUHP on the car, but also me as a driver - I would never own 300h of any shape. And if I have 300h for some reason, then my priorities would be to make it safe and comfortable, not sporty. Also I look into the tyre compromise from overall usefulness of the tyre, let's say I have Lexus RC-F as second weekend car, I know I will only take it out when the weather is nice and when I want to drive fast, that car get's Michelin PS4s, maybe Potenza Sport (the issue of the tyre is poor thread life, but on car that maybe does 4000miles in a year, that is acceptable). And maybe I have IS300h as an everyday car, which will see all weathers and on such car CC2 for example will be more useful for 363 out of 365 days. And sure, I appreciate not everyone can have multiple cars in garage, but even then I would not compromise IS300h for whole year, just because maybe I will want to drive on twisty road at speed for 12 days a year. 

After 16k miles, my Michelin Primacy 4 VOL still feel (to the touch) like they got (easily) another 10k in them, the grooves are helthy and the handling isn't any worse than when I got them.

Now getting CC2 installed on my car next week by lexus also doing a service with them....Price of fitting and supply was more or less the same as others... 

3 minutes ago, goody12 said:

Now getting CC2 installed on my car next week by lexus also doing a service with them....Price of fitting and supply was more or less the same as others... 

please share your experiences. My car became a boat. Still have them in the garage for when the winter is a bad one. 

18 minutes ago, Boeryeoes said:

please share your experiences. My car became a boat. Still have them in the garage for when the winter is a bad one. 

ok will let you know 

On 7/21/2024 at 8:01 PM, Mr_Groundhog said:

After 16k miles, my Michelin Primacy 4 VOL still feel (to the touch) like they got (easily) another 10k in them, the grooves are helthy and the handling isn't any worse than when I got them.

Should be that at very least... All Michelins I had got to high 30k easily. 

Just for a sense of perspective for you - two brand new Metzeler tyres fitted yesterday. Bargain price of £550 fitted. Fitting took 5 hours due to dismantling brakes/ suspension etc and removal/cleaning of the idiotic previous owners' slime installation!!! The old tyres lasted 4.5K miles.

Figured out what vehicle it is yet?🤔

BTW Do not put "slime" in your tyres no matter what you read on t'internet.

Slime Prevent and Repair Tire Sealant - 16 oz. (Off-Road) - 10183 ...

• Thanks 1

Happy with my Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 6s fitted last week. All 4 corners fitted for £400 at Costco.

Had Asymmetric 5s on last time. I put those on in June 2020. They lasted 25K miles. Down to 3mm tread. 

I remember the transformative change in going from the Nexen (I think it was) that were on the car when I purchased, to the Asymmetric 5s. I was hoping for a similar wow factor and transformation, but there was only little. The 5s that came off last week weren’t as bad as I thought, I guess. 

I have had Nexen N Fera SU4 both on my GS and my wife's Hyundai (at the rear) for nearly one year now and I have not had any issues at all even driving in the rain on the motorway to Dublin. They are labelled A on the wet and B on consumption and I don't think they are as bad as you say, and moreover the difference with the Premium brands was not only £10 as Linas suggested but a lot more. Next week I am going to fit on the Hyundai of my wife (at the front), the Kumho Ecsta HS52 bought online which came 3rd on the tests made by the Swiss TCS.

https://www.tcs.ch/fr/tests-conseils/tests/pneus/pneus-ete.php 

Just had my car rear tyres changed with the CC2 it certainly is a different drive first thing i noticed is that they were very quiet not much road noise, but i think i need a wheel alignment done the steering was a bit wonky though driving it ..Lexus wanted £144 for it but i had already spent a fair bit for tires and major service 

Anyway booked it in with kwikfit for early next week to get it done..Also there was a leak in one rear shock absorber they said it needs changing they want £442 to change just one, do i need to change in pairs? can i get it done cheaper ?

24 minutes ago, goody12 said:

Just had my car rear tyres changed with the CC2 it certainly is a different drive first thing i noticed is that they were very quiet not much road noise, but i think i need a wheel alignment done the steering was a bit wonky though driving it ..Lexus wanted £144 for it but i had already spent a fair bit for tires and major service 

Anyway booked it in with kwikfit for early next week to get it done..Also there was a leak in one rear shock absorber they said it needs changing they want £442 to change just one, do i need to change in pairs? can i get it done cheaper ?

Get the rear shock done first then the alignment as it will disturb the alignment when they remove the suspension components. 

• Thanks 2

++ You can get it done cheaper & it's not a massive job or overly complex.

Genuine parts are recommended to retain the ride quality but get a 2nd opinion if the shock is actually leaking or if it's a money making scheme. Try doing a bounce test.

Also do it in pairs you can imagine the other one isn't far behind if one is leaking to improve the comfort level & balance do it as a pair.

Another option is to find a Breaker on eBay a car with front end damage rear shocks will be fine if low mileage. Genuine parts.

Genuine part for one shock is £149.83 x2 = £299.66. Add another £200 for labour from a regular independent garage approx so for £500 both sides can be done. 

Also if I may suggest stay away from Kwik fit for alignment, for that I'd stick with main dealer or an alignment specialist in your area with a hunter system they will give you before and after print out after doing alignment of the full setup. May even be able to adjust to reduce inner tyre wear.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-2/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

++ You can get it done cheaper & it's not a massive job or overly complex.

Genuine parts are recommended to retain the ride quality but get a 2nd opinion if the shock is actually leaking or if it's a money making scheme. Try doing a bounce test.

Also do it in pairs you can imagine the other one isn't far behind if one is leaking to improve the comfort level & balance do it as a pair.

Another option is to find a Breaker on Ebay a car with front end damage rear shocks will be fine if low mileage. Genuine parts.

Genuine part for one shock is £149.83 x2 = £299.66. Add another £200 for labour from a regular independent garage approx so for £500 both sides can be done. 

Also if I may suggest stay away from Kwik fit for alignment, for that I'd stick with main dealer or an alignment specialist in your area with a hunter system they will give you before and after print out after doing alignment of the full setup. May even be able to adjust to reduce inner tyre wear.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-2/

Lexus are charging me £442 just to fit in one shock will ask price for pair 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links