Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Over the past three months I’ve been looking at, and driving, replacement options for my 2021 RX. That’s partly because of the theft issue but mainly because, as I approach retirement, my priorities have changed. I’ve loved owning the RX, and the NX before it. They’ve been fantastic cars, and I know anything I now buy will be something of a compromise - but it’s a compromise I’m ready to make. 

Due to health issues, which will not now improve, I’m only driving 2-3k miles a year. Longer journeys have to be completed either with others driving or by train if I’m on my own. My priority in terms of a car has thus changed significantly, and I want a smaller car for local use. The RX is simply too big and costs too much to insure and tax to justify.

First, some good news for RX owners. Trade in offers for my 13k mile 2021 Luxury with tech and safety packs have improved markedly over the Summer. Where I was being offered £31k in May, I’m now being offered £33-34k. I don’t know the reasons for that, but it is encouraging. That means my car has lost about £20k in depreciation over three years.

I’ve looked at all sorts of options, from many manufacturers. I haven’t limited myself to a vehicle type, and have looked at SUV and hatchbacks. I’ve looked at different sizes too, in order to understand how much I’m willing to compromise against what is sensible and good value.

First, the also rans. Skoda Kamiq and Scala are very well reviewed, but relatively expensive and not great to drive. The MINI Countryman is fantastic, but far too expensive imho with no deals available. BMW options were fine, but I just don’t like the interiors (again I seem at odds with the reviews!). KIA and Hyundai left me cold, and again were relatively expensive. Honda HR-V is very good but not exceptional and a bit noisy, Jazz CrossStar similar. Finally, Lexus…the LBX is a nice thing, but I consider it overpriced and have dismissed. Never been keen on the UX, and that hasn’t changed. French cars aren’t for me having owned a couple before, so Peugeot/Renault not considered, neither were Vauxhall or Ford (although I did look online for prices/offers).

Now the surprises. The VW Golf is a fantastic drive - hard to believe it’s the same under the skin as the Skoda and SEAT options. The deals are very keen too. It’s a surprise contender, apart from reliability concerns putting me off. Next, the Mazda CX-30. Lovely thing, great interior and good to drive but unfortunately the deal on offer isn’t great. The Suzuki Vitara is fantastic value and nicely made, but not available to order at the moment which is a real shame.

The Volvo XC40 wasn’t a surprise, as I knew I’d like it. It’s a great thing and the deals are amazing. The interior is the closest to Lexus quality (close, but not as good!) and it is nimble and really good to drive as a mild hybrid. 

Today, I’m driving the new Toyota CH-R which is the final option before a decision. I’ve discounted the Yaris Cross now as slightly too small based on the Jazz and Kamiq experiences. 

So, by the end of today I’ll have decided. It’s either the Volvo, the Golf or the CH-R. It’s been my most thorough car search ever and has been fascinating. I’ve seen disinterest, I’ve seen great service and enthusiasm and everything in between. I’ve had great offers, and dreadful ones which were a total waste of time. I’ve seen immaculately prepared demonstrator cars and filthy battered ones (why, just WHY would you do that?). I’ve had dealers accompany me on test drives and others throw me the keys and tell me to have the car as long as I want as long as back by the end of the day. Like I said, really interesting.

One last thing - EVs. You’d think considering my low mileage and use now that an EV would make perfect sense. Deals on them are - frankly - ridiculous. 0% finance, huge discounts…they’re almost begging you to buy them. But, and it’s a big but…more than one dealer has noted that residual values are unpredictable, and that as a private buyer I’m probably better to stick with petrol. At the same time they’re putting the suggestion under my nose they’re pretty much steering me away from it! I imagine they’re all under orders to try, but also don’t want miffed customers in three years with no value left in their cars. And before anybody asks, personal lease on an EV is too expensive, likely because they’ve built predicted depreciation into the numbers. If it were a company purchase I’d have one, but for now I’ll stick with what I know.

I’ll be sad to leave Lexus, but the time is right. For me, right now and as I approach retirement, the Lexus options are just too expensive for what I need and want. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My twopennysworth:  Volvo - good - had one - loved it.     VW  -  bad  - had one - hated it (and it broke down within 12 months)

Toyota - good  - had one - wish I had kept it.   Based on your criteria you could not go far wrong with the XC40B4.

Just an afterthought - the servicing on the Volvo was outrageously expensive and the dealer and its staff were horrible.  It might be worth checking out insurance and running costs too.😏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GMB said:

My twopennysworth:  Volvo - good - had one - loved it.     VW  -  bad  - had one - hated it (and it broke down within 12 months)

Toyota - good  - had one - wish I had kept it.   Based on your criteria you could not go far wrong with the XC40B4.

Just an afterthought - the servicing on the Volvo was outrageously expensive and the dealer and its staff were horrible.  It might be worth checking out insurance and running costs too.😏

I checked insurance first given the RX ‘issues.’ The Volvo is quoted by all the big providers, with very low excess, at c£350 for the year including motor legal etc. the Golf is c£275, and the CH-R most expensive at c£450. The RX was £660 for equivalent cover this year.

Servicing for the Volvo is covered by a plan for the first three services at £999. The dealer seems pretty good - my Sister bought an XC60 last year and has been very happy with them.

VW…what to say. I’ve had three over the years. Two were terrible, one was ok. That’s my reliability concern and note the Golf came second bottom in the What Car reliability survey. That said, my mileage will be very low so I may be willing to take the chance (but may not!). The deal is VERY tempting!

Should have said, I’ll be deliberately staying under the £40k threshold for the ‘luxury car’ tax this time, so it’s the B3 XC40 rather than the B4 (as I prefer a B3 Plus model to a B4 Core).

• Like 1

Absolutely loads of good, low mileage, nearly new, used XC40s for sale under £30K, surely one of those could be a contender?

I just wonder why there are so many for sale though????

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

One last thing - EVs. You’d think considering my low mileage and use now that an EV would make perfect sense. Deals on them are - frankly - ridiculous. 0% finance, huge discounts…they’re almost begging you to buy them. But, and it’s a big but…more than one dealer has noted that residual values are unpredictable, and that as a private buyer I’m probably better to stick with petrol. At the same time they’re putting the suggestion under my nose they’re pretty much steering me away from it! I imagine they’re all under orders to try, but also don’t want miffed customers in three years with no value left in their cars. And before anybody asks, personal lease on an EV is too expensive, likely because they’ve built predicted depreciation into the numbers. If it were a company purchase I’d have one, but for now I’ll stick with what I know.

I’ll be sad to leave Lexus, but the time is right. For me, right now and as I approach retirement, the Lexus options are just too expensive for what I need and want. 

I think you may be wise to think twice about EV's,  we certainly are.  Considering a UXe as post retirement car to do short trips around town, so  no big trips where the Chademo charger would stumble.  UX 300e Takumi 2023 with 6k miles latest spec bigger Battery.  £26900 at  main dealer which on the face of it seems a massive bargain compared to list,  yet Lexus are now chopping about £7k  off this model to generate sales I guess.

So pre purchase we plugged the car details into WBAC to get a "true" value of the car.  £18500  was the answer, and I assume the recent price drop from Lexus can only depress values in the future even more.  We all know we loose money buying a car but this seems beyond funny.  That said they are nice and if keeping the car 10 years it maybe wouldn't matter so much...

Good luck with your purchase decisions.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GMB said:

Absolutely loads of good, low mileage, nearly new, used XC40s for sale under £30K, surely one of those could be a contender?

I just wonder why there are so many for sale though????

Facelift model just launched, dealer said Volvo pre-registered loads of the old model and used them as ‘staff’ cars for 3-5k miles then put them through the dealer network (Volvo own all the cars now rather than dealers).

With discount the brand new XC40 is only £33k…rather than £38k list, and my view is that the used ones therefore don’t offer enough of a saving.

Ed hi, are you intent on a brand new car ……… your budget could buy you a most amazing brilliant more elderly steed that would cope well with the limited annual mileage you suggest  🤔

Or are you fed-up looking at 2ndhand cars maybe ! 

Malc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Maybe a little late to the party but we ordered a brand new golf in 2021 - received in 2023. 

No issues reliability wise. It's a great thing to drive. 

The reliability issues were all software related and based on 2020-2021 models. The new ones are not bad. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, omegatt said:

I think you may be wise to think twice about EV's,  we certainly are.  Considering a UXe as post retirement car to do short trips around town, so  no big trips where the Chademo charger would stumble.  UX 300e Takumi 2023 with 6k miles latest spec bigger battery.  £26900 at  main dealer which on the face of it seems a massive bargain compared to list,  yet Lexus are now chopping about £7k  off this model to generate sales I guess.

So pre purchase we plugged the car details into WBAC to get a "true" value of the car.  £18500  was the answer, and I assume the recent price drop from Lexus can only depress values in the future even more.  We all know we loose money buying a car but this seems beyond funny.  That said they are nice and if keeping the car 10 years it maybe wouldn't matter so much...

Good luck with your purchase decisions.

I know on many levels an EV would make sense, but for me this car will be only for three years and at that stage I’ll assess. My disability means I may not be able to drive at all at that point (or I may be able to continue, or may have to use hand controls etc.). When dealers who are being pressured to sell stock EVs are saying they think it’s risky and essentially advising against, I have to take notice! That said, over the next three years sales and residuals may pick up and I’ll rue not buying a super cheap one when I had the chance…that’d be typical for me 😂

10 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Ed hi, are you intent on a brand new car ……… your budget could buy you a most amazing brilliant more elderly steed that would cope well with the limited annual mileage you suggest  🤔

Or are you fed-up looking at 2ndhand cars maybe ! 

Malc 

@Malc1 I already have one twenty year old car in the garage, I just want my ‘everyday’ car to be new, simple and on a PCP so I can hand it back at the end if needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

No issues reliability wise. It's a great thing to drive.

Have to say it was brilliant to drive - the 1.5eTSi engine 150PS. It’s the only car driven that actually put a smile on my face, it was that much fun. Like a go-cart but quiet and comfy too. I was surprised but glad I did test it, it is certainly a contender.

5 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Looks wise I personally think the Toyota CH-R wins hands down!

I agree, and it’ll have the benefit of familiarity and the longest warranty…but the deal has to be right and (obviously) I have to like driving it (which I’m sure I will!) 

Will update later once I’ve had the test drive and made a decision…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Over the past three months I’ve been looking at, and driving, replacement options for my 2021 RX. That’s partly because of the theft issue but mainly because, as I approach retirement, my priorities have changed. I’ve loved owning the RX, and the NX before it. They’ve been fantastic cars, and I know anything I now buy will be something of a compromise - but it’s a compromise I’m ready to make. 

Due to health issues, which will not now improve, I’m only driving 2-3k miles a year. Longer journeys have to be completed either with others driving or by train if I’m on my own. My priority in terms of a car has thus changed significantly, and I want a smaller car for local use. The RX is simply too big and costs too much to insure and tax to justify.

First, some good news for RX owners. Trade in offers for my 13k mile 2021 Luxury with tech and safety packs have improved markedly over the Summer. Where I was being offered £31k in May, I’m now being offered £33-34k. I don’t know the reasons for that, but it is encouraging. That means my car has lost about £20k in depreciation over three years.

I’ve looked at all sorts of options, from many manufacturers. I haven’t limited myself to a vehicle type, and have looked at SUV and hatchbacks. I’ve looked at different sizes too, in order to understand how much I’m willing to compromise against what is sensible and good value.

First, the also rans. Skoda Kamiq and Scala are very well reviewed, but relatively expensive and not great to drive. The MINI Countryman is fantastic, but far too expensive imho with no deals available. BMW options were fine, but I just don’t like the interiors (again I seem at odds with the reviews!). KIA and Hyundai left me cold, and again were relatively expensive. Honda HR-V is very good but not exceptional and a bit noisy, Jazz CrossStar similar. Finally, Lexus…the LBX is a nice thing, but I consider it overpriced and have dismissed. Never been keen on the UX, and that hasn’t changed. French cars aren’t for me having owned a couple before, so Peugeot/Renault not considered, neither were Vauxhall or Ford (although I did look online for prices/offers).

Now the surprises. The VW Golf is a fantastic drive - hard to believe it’s the same under the skin as the Skoda and SEAT options. The deals are very keen too. It’s a surprise contender, apart from reliability concerns putting me off. Next, the Mazda CX-30. Lovely thing, great interior and good to drive but unfortunately the deal on offer isn’t great. The Suzuki Vitara is fantastic value and nicely made, but not available to order at the moment which is a real shame.

The Volvo XC40 wasn’t a surprise, as I knew I’d like it. It’s a great thing and the deals are amazing. The interior is the closest to Lexus quality (close, but not as good!) and it is nimble and really good to drive as a mild hybrid. 

Today, I’m driving the new Toyota CH-R which is the final option before a decision. I’ve discounted the Yaris Cross now as slightly too small based on the Jazz and Kamiq experiences. 

So, by the end of today I’ll have decided. It’s either the Volvo, the Golf or the CH-R. It’s been my most thorough car search ever and has been fascinating. I’ve seen disinterest, I’ve seen great service and enthusiasm and everything in between. I’ve had great offers, and dreadful ones which were a total waste of time. I’ve seen immaculately prepared demonstrator cars and filthy battered ones (why, just WHY would you do that?). I’ve had dealers accompany me on test drives and others throw me the keys and tell me to have the car as long as I want as long as back by the end of the day. Like I said, really interesting.

ED.......I Think you Have Fallen into the Trap of Chasing your Tail....But You Must Buy the Car that is most Appealing and Comfortable to Yourself...The Three cars You are Considering Are all good Examples and Desirable But Hand on Heart do You Really want to Move away from lexus ..Possibly Not.!!! I Would have a Re-Think about the LBX ..Fundamentally I Think And this is just My Opinion ..This would be a Perfect Choice to Suit your Needs and Circumstances ..Forget about how Much it Costs ...Stop Building Walls and go with your Heart This Time..Over to you and the best of Luck with your decision Whatever it Might be..!! But Do Give it some Scientific Thought !!!!!!

I had a Volvo XC40 and loved it. The image of the brand suits me like Lexus understated not offensive or German. And another topic, safety. It seems a marketing cliché but i was involved in a massive accident where the car landed on its roof with 60km/h a total write off but the roof was not pushed in one mm and all doors opened without problem. Had a V60 and now XC60 plug in. Totally reliable.

The golf is really good to drive, it just works feels nimble and with great build quality. It is a different car to the Volvo which is higher and easier to get in and out of.

Choices choices..      

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Have to say it was brilliant to drive - the 1.5eTSi engine 150PS. It’s the only car driven that actually put a smile on my face, it was that much fun. Like a go-cart but quiet and comfy too. I was surprised but glad I did test it, it is certainly a contender.

That's the one we have. 

Drive the deal is the broker we got it from. Almost £6k off list at the time.

• Thanks 1

We had a brand new 70 reg XC40. Gorgeous car inside and out, drove nice too. But...beware, the 3 cal 1500cc engine is harsh and thirsty and doesn't belong in this type of car!

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tom999 said:

We had a brand new 70 reg XC40. Gorgeous car inside and out, drove nice too. But...beware, the 3 cal 1500cc engine is harsh and thirsty and doesn't belong in this type of car

Our little UP Gti had one of those little overstressed turbo engines and it was a hoot to drive - until the novelty wore off and it proved unreliable  Bye bye VW.

Be warned - all these buzzy little engines pushed to the max will end in tears. They won't last.  A nice, big capacity, lazy, low revving ( approx 5.5K max rpm,  no less that 2Litres - preferably 3.5 plus ) old cruiser will last forever.  The interesting thing is that it makes the driver relaxed too.    Used Volvo S60 T5+ anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

ED.......I Think you Have Fallen into the Trap of Chasing your Tail....But You Must Buy the Car that is most Appealing and Comfortable to Yourself...The Three cars You are Considering Are all good Examples and Desirable But Hand on Heart do You Really want to Move away from lexus ..Possibly Not.!!! I Would have a Re-Think about the LBX ..Fundamentally I Think And this is just My Opinion ..This would be a Perfect Choice to Suit your Needs and Circumstances ..Forget about how Much it Costs ...Stop Building Walls and go with your Heart This Time..Over to you and the best of Luck with your decision Whatever it Might be..!! But Do Give it some Scientific Thought !!!!!!

I’ve tried to like the LBX, I really have. Having owned three Lexus in a row, Lexus have tried too…but ‘scientifically’ compared with the other options I just don’t like it as much and think it’s overpriced for what it is. Sorry, but that’s all there is to it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tom999 said:

We had a brand new 70 reg XC40. Gorgeous car inside and out, drove nice too. But...beware, the 3 cal 1500cc engine is harsh and thirsty and doesn't belong in this type of car!

That engine was discontinued. The B3 petrol is now a 2ltr 4 cylinder unit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

That engine was discontinued. The B3 petrol is now a 2ltr 4 cylinder unit

It just shows that there are some brains at Volvo.  Could not say the same for VW or Ford though.

• Like 1

The CH-R is a really nice car, I preferred the drive to the Volvo (eCVT vs slightly hesitant dual clutch). The Toyota is a proper hybrid, the Volvo a ‘mild’ hybrid so never runs on electricity alone.

List prices are pretty much identical, but the CH-R Excel has more bells and whistles than the XC40 Plus. Head says Toyota, but the Volvo interior is much more ‘premium.’ I’ve decided to sleep on it. Toyota comes out slightly cheaper on the deal too, but not by enough to swing the decision, it’s that close.

VW discounted. Nice car but I prefer the Toyota and Volvo, despite the VW being MUCH cheaper overall - I think the other two options are worth the extra.

• Like 1

Right, decision made. It’s the CH-R Excel in silver/black with the optional JBL sound system. In the end I just liked it more than the other options and the deal - via CarWow with a non-local dealer - is too good to miss. 

Combine the highest offer for my RX with an (almost) £3k discount and I’m very happy. I’ll have to travel an hour to collect in Oct/Nov when the car arrives but worth it for the saving. Job done. And at least I stay within the Toyota ‘family.’

Turns out that in the end familiarity, reliability and an eCVT gearbox means a lot to me. And it’s a funky looking machine…mid-life crisis activate! Yes, I’ll miss the 3.5litre V6. Yes, I’ll miss the RX interior. But as a compromise, this feels like the smallest one I could make.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The deed is done, order placed and deposit paid. The CH-R should arrive (factory order, built in Belgium as it happens) in late October/early November. Fair to say the Toyota sales experience in both dealerships visited was good, albeit not as ‘premium’ as with Lexus…😂

While I was in the dealership ordering the car, an older gentleman arrived complaining that his new RAV4 passenger wheel arch liner had come adrift…erm…😳

The service receptionist was very good, told him they’d have a look but if it had been damaged it wouldn’t be covered by warranty. He clearly had no idea that this could have been a theft target (it may not of course) but I’m pretty sure Toyota went straight to that conclusion.

One last point for anybody changing car. I’ve used CarWow before, and this time it has saved me a lot of money. Reading assured me (and they were good to deal with) that their deal was absolutely the best I’d get anywhere. CarWow and a dealer only thirty miles away beat their quote by nearly £2.5k with both a higher offer for my RX (£1500 more) and a bigger discount on the new car (£1000 more). It definitely still pays to shop around…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links