Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Maybe out with the Capri, in with an LC??

Tom999

Hi all...

I'm Tom and I'm lucky enough to have just moved to Snowdonia, escaped Blackpool 😉

We have a UX250 hybrid, a Vito camper and a 2.81 Capri in the fleet, all very nice.

Been watching LC500's for a while now and it's got me hooked!!

Going to see a very very nice 2018 sport+ on Friday and have been frantically doing my homework.

Fortunately this car comes with the rolling ten year warranty.

Couple of questions though...

Is a car with 470hp and 0-60 4.7 really slow lol? So many say it is.

Are the door handles really prone to failure and can a clean up and wd40 fix 'em?

Will setting the tracking to zero degree's straight ahead stop the tyres shredding? (common problem?

Here's hoping!!

Tom.

I have had my LC500 from new in 2018. It is emphatically not slow and comfortably beats its claimed acceleration time. However, it delivers its performance in an old fashioned (normally aspirated) way in that you get the rush of power as the revs climb. 

A lot of journalists are now only used to the "small engine with turbo" feel of a lot of performance cars and have forgotten about real engines.

You should bear in mind that the LC is not a hot hatch racer and weighs a lot. It is a GT cruiser not a sports car.

I have good even tyre wear and the alignment checked by Lexus every now and then. The door handles always open and I have never had to oil them. In fact, WD40 etc would be a problem in holding dust and dirt in the door mechanism. 

Thank you 🙂

Having a conflict with heart and head at mo' my Capri costs nothing to keep, £100 insurance, no MOT, no tax..

Head says at least there's remainder of Lexus warranty and I'd get a fair price in say 4 years as it's a rare beast! Halved in value since 2018.

• Like 1

Tom hi …….. only got one life you know ……. this is no trial run …… and if this car is what you wish for and buying it is ok and within  grasp, then just go4it 

You might not use it much but when you do you’ll appreciate all its strengths and the fun 

Good luck 

Malc 

The Capri's were great fun in the 80's and 90's.

A friend of mine had the Brooklands edition in BRG. 

I would add that LC500 is very well insulated, so it just doesn't feel as fast as it is when you driving it. Doing 70MPH on motorway seems like pretty much being stationary... I used probably 50% of throttle on the slip road joining the motorway and I was already doing 110 (that is with Lexus sales guy on the side)... it didn't feel fast, it felt about normal speed you would use to join motorway (say around 60, except I was doing 110).

So I guess modern cars can be little bit deceptive - it does not feel as fast as it is.

No reported breakage on the handles (like Tesla), so that it uses similar looking design it does not mean it is poor quality. 

Also it really feels special place when you are inside, quality of everything is exceptional, something that can't be said of the competition - say BMW 8-series.

The price halving since 2018?! Questionable... I think their price is still quite high and in next few years still going to depreciate further... all in all 6 years old premium coupe, I would expect it to have depreciated 60% of the way.. (at original purchase price of ~£80k, they should be closer to high-20s maybe). 

21 hours ago, Tom999 said:

Are the door handles really prone to failure and can a clean up and wd40 fix 'em?

There were reports of door handles being replaced on the early cars - not heard of any issues recently.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links