Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Good morning fellow lexus is250 owners

I have a problem. My car has been off the road for a month now, and from following advise on the forums I've narrowed it down to the fuel pressure sensor. my car would start and die straight away then nothing. won't even attempt to start. I followed the steps to disconnect the harness by the fuse box for fuel pressure sensor and the car was firing over and I got communication with the ECU! And I got 10 fault codes *(see attached photos) I have a new sensor that arrived yesterday but I can't find the gasket/crush washer anywhere in the UK ! Does anybody know where I can source one ? Also I'm going to have to take on the job myself as the mobile mechanics don't seem to want to do it.is it a ball ache of a job ? Also from what I've said so far am I in the right direction or could my problem be something else as the codes I'm getting (after disconnecting the sensor) are for crankshaft and throttle body

Thanks guys/gals

Nathaniel

Edit. Couldn't upload images using URL so these are the codes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g27XdtaL2mxvaYcTA

Hi Nat. First off get a copy of Techstream. Your diagnosis tool is basically krap. Techstream is Toyota/Lexus specific and is as good as what the dealer has but just the price of a CD. Get Techstream then use it to do a proper diagnosis. It'll also tell you where to look for the problem. Look on eBay or on the Techstream website. 

• Thanks 1

If you car was crank/no-start and now it starts then you are definitely in the right direction. 

The codes you getting - some relate to simply disconnecting Battery, the others I assume are related to hardness being disconnected. Not sure what you have disconnected (I assume E6), but fuel pressure sensor goes directly into ECU, so if you disconnected main ECU connectors (E6), I would expect many errors. It would be better if you reach around engine (and it is as bad as it sounds) and disconnect only the fuel pressure sensor itself, in this case only the fuel pressure sensor is disconnected and you should expect only the code for it. Also without fuel pressure sensor your car will be in limp mode, so throttle and pedal position codes are in order. I would not expect to see crank position code, but that may be old (some of them are on E6 as well).

Techstrem would be beneficial, I would not say it is must, but it would give you little bit more info. For example it is not clear if the codes you have now are history/pending/current etc. No freeze frame etc. Also get yourself repair manual (PM me if you need help finding it).

Replacing fuel pressure sensor is probably 3/10 in terms of being painful, but you need to look it from perspective that most of work around engine on IS250 is 11/10 in terms of painful. You will need to remove intake manifold (this is the part all the people are afraid of when replacing spark plugs, but honestly it is not that bad) and then fish out the sensor at the back of the engine (working blind is standard on these cars), also putting torque wrench is impossible there, so your torque spec is "gut'in tight" there. I thread it until it bottoms out (just be careful not to twist the cable, I usually turn cable with one hand and sensor with the other at the same time), then add maybe 20-30 degrees. My sensor came with crush washer, although when troubleshooting I had some chinese sensor and it came without it, so I just reused old one (which you should never do! it was just for troubleshooting).  

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

If you car was crank/no-start and now it starts then you are definitely in the right direction. 

The codes you getting - some relate to simply disconnecting battery, the others I assume are related to hardness being disconnected. Not sure what you have disconnected (I assume E6), but fuel pressure sensor goes directly into ECU, so if you disconnected main ECU connectors (E6), I would expect many errors. It would be better if you reach around engine (and it is as bad as it sounds) and disconnect only the fuel pressure sensor itself, in this case only the fuel pressure sensor is disconnected and you should expect only the code for it. Also without fuel pressure sensor your car will be in limp mode, so throttle and pedal position codes are in order. I would not expect to see crank position code, but that may be old (some of them are on E6 as well).

Techstrem would be beneficial, I would not say it is must, but it would give you little bit more info. For example it is not clear if the codes you have now are history/pending/current etc. No freeze frame etc. Also get yourself repair manual (PM me if you need help finding it).

Replacing fuel pressure sensor is probably 3/10 in terms of being painful, but you need to look it from perspective that most of work around engine on IS250 is 11/10 in terms of painful. You will need to remove intake manifold (this is the part all the people are afraid of when replacing spark plugs, but honestly it is not that bad) and then fish out the sensor at the back of the engine (working blind is standard on these cars), also putting torque wrench is impossible there, so your torque spec is "gut'in tight" there. I thread it until it bottoms out (just be careful not to twist the cable, I usually turn cable with one hand and sensor with the other at the same time), then add maybe 20-30 degrees. My sensor came with crush washer, although when troubleshooting I had some chinese sensor and it came without it, so I just reused old one (which you should never do! it was just for troubleshooting).  

Linus p thank you so much mate I ordered a tech stream (replica 😆) earlier. It was from the ECU that I disconnected the clip I will try disconnecting from the back of the engine tommorow. I think the codes are new and not stored as they have never been there when I have checked previously but what you have explained makes sense mate I'm going call into lexus and see if they will sell me a few washers finding parts for these cars in the UK is a nightmare 😆 

Thanks so much for your reply you have definitely given me some clarification and brilliant advise 🤞 

38 minutes ago, nathanielchapman said:

Linus p thank you so much mate I ordered a tech stream (replica 😆) earlier. It was from the ECU that I disconnected the clip I will try disconnecting from the back of the engine tommorow. I think the codes are new and not stored as they have never been there when I have checked previously but what you have explained makes sense mate I'm going call into lexus and see if they will sell me a few washers finding parts for these cars in the UK is a nightmare 😆 

Thanks so much for your reply you have definitely given me some clarification and brilliant advise 🤞 

No - it could be that communication with ECU failed, so codes may have been there, but you just could not read them.

Also - you can still use official Techstream version with chinese cable (replica is the cable, which I consider 100% fair, because Lexus one is £600), so just note that is still an option. 

All in all, when E6 disconnected that is probably what you get, so I am not overly surprised.

I think you might be able to unplug pressure sensor if you remove just the Battery (kind of helps to know where it is, because you have to do it completely blind), but replacing it is impossible without removing intake. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not to bad on the tools and after looking through the DIY on YouTube and here I'm fairly confident I can get the job done I tried getting mobile mechanics they don't seem to want to take the job on and I can't drive it to a garage so looks like I'm gunna have to do it myself. Hopefully I don't get anymore problems after this because I love the car but I'm not sure it's mutual 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Also mate just before this happened on a few occasions my car died not long after being driven both RAC techs got it started and it was a flooded engine apparently would this be due too a failing sensor or could that be the cause ?

Was writing whole brain dump on how flooding is not really a thing on injected petrol engines... but I save you the time - no it can't cause the flooding that would prevent the car from starting and most certainly can't make car stall if it is already running.

The reason why it stalled is most likely because failure of these sensors causes short to 12V on ECU (stupid design honestly, could even fry the ECU), then ECU loses access to all other sensors and triggers some sort of fail-safe condition which stalls the engine.

Short answer - yes failing fuel pressure sensor can cause all sorts of issues on these engines, flooding may be side effect, but not the cause. Also flooded vs. non-flooded is a difference of maybe 1 extra second of cranking and it starts. 

Brilliant Linus mate send me your account.dtsils I want to send you £20 for helping me honestly I was contemplating wether or not to cut a loss of 3k and scrap the car bot after speaking to you I have a little bit of confidence that I'm in the right direction 

Nathaniel I hope you’re on the right track and this fixes your issue.

I guess if you’re confident it will….. and you’re going to take the intake off.

Are you due or close to a plug change, new intake seals and PCV….. while you’re in there?

Just a thought,

Best of luck.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nathanielchapman said:

Brilliant Linus mate send me your account.dtsils I want to send you £20 for helping me honestly I was contemplating wether or not to cut a loss of 3k and scrap the car bot after speaking to you I have a little bit of confidence that I'm in the right direction 

No worries. That is what the forum is for. I haven't done anything above normal to deserve it 🙂

Once you change the sensor let us know how it went! And if you have questions let us know and hopefully somebody will have an answer. 

• Like 1

My phone number 075551867373 send me your details and I'll send it over honestly you have helped me more than you know I've been leaving at 6am to be in work for 8am I'll keep you updated for sure mate 

1 hour ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

Nathaniel I hope you’re on the right track and this fixes your issue.

I guess if you’re confident it will….. and you’re going to take the intake off.

Are you due or close to a plug change, new intake seals and PCV….. while you’re in there?

Just a thought,

Best of luck.

Sorry mate I only just seen this I never thought of this thanks mate 🙏 

I would advise not to pose your phone publicly. 

Secondly, I think you going into right direction, because your car now starts, but that may not be the end of it. Once you have sensor replaced and once it runs and drives without any faults, then we can figure something out. It is good news, but it is not a victory yet.

• Like 1

If this doesn't work then I'm going to put the OEM original denso pump back in because the one I got of amazon is slightly different I can't see a filter but was advised it built inside 🤔)the only one I could find!) back in and hope its the pump and I know it shouldn't put my number out there but I want to thank you by buying you and your partner or 2 for you if your happily single 😂 

Before running through the hassle of changing the fuel pump, you may find some of the screenshots I posted useful for my crank/no start problem.

Once you get techstream running there are many tests you can use to help including turning the fuel pump on and seeing the pressure

@nathanielchapman have you got an outstanding recall on your car by any chance? Mine's going in today for the airbag recall but also FPS.
Recall AGGB7 AGGB7# (R/SSC) - C/I for EUR = 4KET-991 - For UR GR fuel pressure sensor

5 hours ago, H3XME said:

@nathanielchapman have you got an outstanding recall on your car by any chance? Mine's going in today for the airbag recall but also FPS.
Recall AGGB7 AGGB7# (R/SSC) - C/I for EUR = 4KET-991 - For UR GR fuel pressure sensor

Has it been parked under the rock for last 8 years? 😄 

FPS recall was in like 2016 and airbag 2018... so 90% of the cars have them done long time ago...

Just make sure to take pictures of your dash before the recall, they quite often ding the corners of it, or crack them... Not saying that you should, but you could get new dash on them if they mess-up. And dash on IS250 is one of the parts that really wears down.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

FPS recall was in like 2016 and airbag 2018... so 90% of the cars have them done long time ago...

Just make sure to take pictures of your dash before the recall, they quite often ding the corners of it, or crack them... Not saying that you should, but you could get new dash on them if they mess-up. And dash on IS250 is one of the parts that really wears down.

I know, yeah. I've never had to do the FPS recall on any of my 3 previous IS250s 😂 Airbag I did 3x and now the 4th time. I do take pics of the dash in case. It's spotless, so they better keep it that way.

My car has not been driven from 2019 until 2023 at all. Got it in February with 79k miles. Not sure where it was kept but like I said, i've never seen such a good dash on these. Although, I never had any issues, the green one was the only 250 with a couple of small 10mm sticky spots and 2 hairline cracks near the centre vents.

I think it depends where they are parked, also if some muppet uses harsh chemicals to clean them and then doesn't apply any UV protection. But sticky dash in UK isn't really a big problem. 

My IS250 AWD from US had it, UK one with 200k miles didn't have issues, but there were 2 small dings after airbag recall also had ding on the side of the transmission tunnel (didn't take pictures so was hard to argue), but the second UK car that I have now had it all cracked scratched and the holes from phone holder... so not so much sticky dash just cracked. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2024 at 4:03 PM, Linas.P said:

Linus I just wanted to say thank you again for helping me and the other forum member too thanks guy got a mechanic to fit a new sensor for me today and it started up straight away so happy guys been weeks walking and taxis everywhere 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links