Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car cover or awnings to avoid bird-poop?

Having moved home a few months ago, the local birds seem to really enjoy target practice on both of our Lexus NX/UX cars! There are some tall trees and some swifts/swallows that have arrived in the neighbouring property when the warmer weather arrived last month.

Can anyone recommend either an awning or a protective cover brand that will not scratch the paintwork? For car covers there seem to be so many types, and mixed reviews online that I'm looking for first-hand experience.

FYI - the cars are on paved brickwork drive, parked side-by-side with a gap of approx 1 metre between the vehicles. There are 2 metre wooden fences immediately to rear and to the right side, and a wooden shed immediately to the left of the cars, so I don't think the wind will flap the cover too much? 

We are renting currently so don't have the option to build a car-port or garage, although I am considering an awning or similar temporary cover (preferably wide enough for 2 vehicles side-by-side). I am concerned that a patio awning or similar will topple over unless it has a lot of weights or can put the tyres on at least one of of the feet/supports somehow.

Many thanks,

Arne

Neither,

Id get the cars ceramic coated and wash regularly. If not able to wash most bird poo will be removed by warm water without touching it. 

• Like 1

Thank you @rayaans interesting alternative. I was trying to avoid the need to wash regularly as it happens on an almost daily basis.

1 hour ago, ArneT said:

Thank you @rayaans interesting alternative. I was trying to avoid the need to wash regularly as it happens on an almost daily basis.

The only issue with car covers is that its properly a chore to get on and off, especially if windy

• Thanks 1

Double barrelled shotgun might help deter them 

Seriously …… do people feed these wild birds and attract them to close by your cars ? 
Worse when people are close by feeding the little and large buggers …….. I live next the sea and seagull poo is constant 🥵

Malc 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Neither,

Id get the cars ceramic coated and wash regularly. If not able to wash most bird poo will be removed by warm water without touching it. 

I would go with this too. Covers are a pain to put on and can scratch the paintwork.

Awning could be dangerous in the wind.

Presume that cutting the trees is not an option.

It is very annoying. Good luck.😀

• Thanks 1

As you have a fences & a shed on the other I would be looking as a sail sun shade that fitted right may well do the job as you are a renter.

Put this into eBay as there are loads of sellers on there  

Sun Shade Sail Outdoor Garden Patio Sunscreen Awning Canopy 98% UV Block Protect

• Thanks 1

We have nesting seagulls nearby and they regularly hit the car. 

I put kitchen towel over the poo and spray the towel with water from a plant sprayer. After 10 - 15 minutes the poo just wipes off leaving no trace. Better than keep washing the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Double barrelled shotgun might help deter them 

Seriously …… do people feed these wild birds and attract them to close by your cars ? 
Worse when people are close by feeding the little and large buggers …….. I live next the sea and seagull poo is constant 🥵

Malc 

Very tempting re: shotgun!!

One of our neighbours has some bird feeders in their garden which might be part of the problem.

Understood re: seagulls .. I recall a holiday in Brighton last year which made the inland poop seem pretty tame by comparison, that is some serious guano Malc!

Arne

18 hours ago, Scotlex said:

I would go with this too. Covers are a pain to put on and can scratch the paintwork.

Awning could be dangerous in the wind.

Presume that cutting the trees is not an option.

It is very annoying. Good luck.😀

Thankyou, some interesting thoughts.

Tree cutting not an option as they are several metres away on a neighbours property sadly.

1 hour ago, hintonwood said:

We have nesting seagulls nearby and they regularly hit the car. 

I put kitchen towel over the poo and spray the towel with water from a plant sprayer. After 10 - 15 minutes the poo just wipes off leaving no trace. Better than keep washing the car.

Thankyou Ken .. this might be the most practical solution. Having just done a mini hand carwash this morning (approx 25 minutes) for the UX I will certainly try this method which sounds simpler, quicker and probably more effective.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VFR said:

As you have a fences & a shed on the other I would be looking as a sail sun shade that fitted right may well do the job as you are a renter.

Put this into EBay as there are loads of sellers on there  

Sun Shade Sail Outdoor Garden Patio Sunscreen Awning Canopy 98% UV Block Protect

thanks Brian. That was the kind of thing I was considering .. something that is easily removed, plus can help keep the car cool too on the hotter days.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links