Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2019 RX450H water pouring through speaker & interior light

Hi. My 69 plate RX that I have had for a year, is now pouring water from the drivers overhead speaker and the central lights after it's rained. 

Does anyone know if this might be a blocked drain or an issue with the sunroof seal?

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.

20240709_152955.jpg

20240709_153011.jpg

I would start by clearing the two front sunroof drains.  A length of flexible curtain rail - the stretchy spring type uses for net curtains - pushed down the drains from the top.  Check what comes out at the bottom end (close to the back of the front wheel arches).  There is a rubber valve on the bottom which might be blocked. A good squeeze and wash with water should clear that.  Worth clearing the rear drains  as well while you are at it.  They run through the rear of the boot area at each side behind the inner trim.  Same valved outlet at the rear of the wheel arches.

• Thanks 2

I would start by checking sunroof drains if possible.

There might be an obvious blockage like leaves but if not, try pouring water into the drains. The water should run away freely. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, my pride & joy said:

My 69 plate RX that I have had for a year, is now pouring water from the drivers overhead speaker

Pretty sure that's a microphone but nonetheless you have water above the roof lining. If what the above posters have suggested doesn't help get it to the dealer before additional damage to the electrics is done. 

Does the car have dealer service history? It could (should) be covered under the Relax warranty

• Like 1

Microphone - of course! Yes, very concerned about the electrics.

It has full dealer service history but was last serviced on 1.6.23  - It's on my 'to do list' to book a service. As it's over a year ago, have I voided the Relax warranty do you know?

5 minutes ago, my pride & joy said:

Microphone - of course! Yes, very concerned about the electrics.

It has full dealer service history but was last serviced on 1.6.23  - It's on my 'to do list' to book a service. As it's over a year ago, have I voided the Relax warranty do you know?

Relax will be reinstated at the next dealer service after any faults found are corrected, so won't cover your current problems

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katabrontes said:

I would start by clearing the two front sunroof drains.  A length of flexible curtain rail - the stretchy spring type uses for net curtains - pushed down the drains from the top.  Check what comes out at the bottom end (close to the back of the front wheel arches).  There is a rubber valve on the bottom which might be blocked. A good squeeze and wash with water should clear that.  Worth clearing the rear drains  as well while you are at it.  They run through the rear of the boot area at each side behind the inner trim.  Same valved outlet at the rear of the wheel arches.

Thanks very much. I'm just about to order that curtain wire - will 1 metre be long enough please?

You should be able to get the curtain wire at any ironmongers or a curtain maker etc.  I would get at lest 2-3 metres to make sure you have enough to leave some sticking out each end as you might need to pull it in and out while flushing water down the drain to make sure any debris gets cleared out thoroughly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, katabrontes said:

You should be able to get the curtain wire at any ironmongers or a curtain maker etc.  I would get at lest 2-3 metres to make sure you have enough to leave some sticking out each end as you might need to pull it in and out while flushing water down the drain to make sure any debris gets cleared out thoroughly.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Lydiamight said:

heavy duty nylon trimmer cord

strimmer cord !

Malc

Another alternative is a spool of heavy soldering wire - I had to clear the front drains on my RX last year, getting the underfelt dried out properly took a lot of heat.  Ended up lifting the carpet and propping it up then blasting it carefully with a heat gun (avoiding melting any plastics or setting myself on fire).  Took a few attempts but got there eventually.  The underfelt can hold a lot of water.

3 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

If you can't find a long enough piece of curtain wire then try some heavy duty nylon trimmer cord--it worked for me.

The curtain wire seemed too thick and wouldn't go in.  Tried soldering wire but it only goes a short way in and stops.  Will source some strimmer wire.

Have run water down the channels on both sides of the car. On the drivers side, the water appeared on the ground behind the wheel, the passenger side - none. So it would appear the  blockage is there. 

Was surprised as the water is coming out of the mic above my head, which lead me to think it was the drivers side drain that was blocked. Water sure does move in mysterious ways...

That does sound odd.  You could be dealing with a few different issues so I'd advise fixing what you can see wrong first (and then worry about the unknown stuff).

The passenger side drain should be draining onto the ground which it isn't.  That water has to be going somewhere and it's possibly inside the cabin.  The fact you can't get the wire down the drain would indicate that there is a blockage so concentrate on clearing that.  Would a thicker/stronger wire help clear the pipe do you think?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links